Hulu + Live TV price increases

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ensign

Hulu + Live TV price increases

Post by ensign »

I subscribed to the Hulu + Live TV plan streaming service for $43.99 in 2018.

Since then, the price has increased significantly:
Feb. 2019: upped from $43.99 to $50.99
Dec. 2019: upped to $54.99
Midyear 2020: upped to $60.99
Dec. 2020: to be upped to $70.99

In summary, the cost has increased over 60 percent in about 2 years. Anybody besides me considering getting rid of the service? Are there better, cheaper streaming options?
jebmke

Re: Hulu + Live TV price increases

Post by jebmke »

I think they are all going up. Everyone at home, captive audience.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I tried them it a while ago. Dropped it for its clunkiness. Sling Blue is clunky and buffers a lot, but at least it’s cheap and it allowed me to watch the election. I don’t watch much TV that’s on either of those services, as Amazon, Netflix, Acorn, BritBox, etc. are better.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

For live tv, i only watch local channels anyway... so i use

https://www.locast.org/

its a 5.50/month donation. to get rid of nag screens.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

We are using Philo for $20.

Internet costs are up. Usage is way up.

Streaming is almost as expensive as internet + cable was pre-streaming.

Sigh.

We have regular Hulu (with ads) as part of our Disney +, ESPN +, Hulu bundle.

I really liked YouTube TV for $50. Dropped it for $65. Haven't missed it.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

We were in the same boat a while back. Finally decided to drop live TV altogether.

I have Sling and you get a few channels for free. I watched election coverage on ABC News Live. That's the channel I go to if I feel like torturing myself with cable news.

Otherwise, we use Netflix and Hulu for watching shows.

Antenna for watching Fox and CBS.

I may look into Sling at some point if I decide I am missing other live channels or sports, but for now, this works for us.
SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave »

Philo is a great value at $20.
daheld

Post by daheld »

For whatever reason, I've decided I am just not willing to pay more than $100/month combined for internet and TV. So right now, our combination is internet for $60/month and Sling Orange for $40/month.

We basically do not watch TV, except that I need to be able to watch my particular favorite college basketball team. We dropped TV altogether for a while at the beginning of COVID but did get Sling probably four months ago.

If prices continue to rise I'll figure out a cheaper alternative, but I too have been disappointed to see streaming services continually increasing in price.
dts_12

Post by dts_12 »

I'm in the same boat, I can't understand how they think raising prices 60% in two years is a good idea. Feel like I got baited and switched. Some how they are still slightly cheaper on a monthly basis than my cable options because cable charges me per TV. If Comcast had a brain they would do away with those extra screen fees and then they would be competitive/cheaper than the live tv streaming options.
MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 »

Uh yeah... we share your concerns.

We dropped Hulu+Live because of it. Now we have the Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN+ bundle for $12.99 or so. We also have FrndlyTV for Hallmark Christmas movies, we'll cancel this in January. We use my in-laws login for Netflix and their internet provider login for sporting events I can't access otherwise. We also have an over the air (OTA) antenna that covers all of the local channels. It works well enough.
For the love of God, stick to your plan!!!
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

Wow! That's quite an increase! It's almost better just going back to satellite TV. We had Hulu+Live for sports, but dropped the Live part earlier this year when baseball season was postponed. Now I hear Hulu is dropping the local sports network anyway (where baseball and hockey are televised), so I doubt I'll add it again.
beyou

Post by beyou »

The day they announced dropping Sinclair Fox Regional Sports Network channels was the day I decided to get rid of Hulu Live and downgrade to Hulu No Ads. I do appreciate being able to watch shows commercial free (which is 100% commercial free on Netflix, partially free on Hullu NoAds sub.

If any of these streaming services get back my desired sports teams I may try again in-season and then drop again at end of season.
I really hate watching commercials and will only put up with it for events that MUST be watched live.

Note you can get some free news apps on many platforms. I watch CBS, ABC, Bloomberg, Reuters and other free news apps.
They have commercials but free of cost and free of biased talking heads.

I will try the Locast. One of the few things I miss on Hulu Live is CBS programming such as 60 minutes and maybe 1 or 2 other shows.
Can live without that but may choose to get CBS All Access for a few $ a month. Locast seems good for live TV but since I rarely watch live, not sure it's worth "donating" regularly (for me).
Soon2BXProgrammer

beyou wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:38 pm I will try the Locast. One of the few things I miss on Hulu Live is CBS programming such as 60 minutes and maybe 1 or 2 other shows.
Can live without that but may choose to get CBS All Access for a few $ a month. Locast seems good for live TV but since I rarely watch live, not sure it's worth "donating" regularly (for me).
Maybe i'm odd, about the only programming i watch are live sports like football. if i watch 4 games a month. its about $1.50 a game.. i can't buy a beer for that at the tavern.

WIthout donating, it kills your stream and you have to restart it after some number of minutes.. After an advert to ask you to donate. Their process is very motivational, if you use it more then occasional few minutes to listen to live news or something.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:43 pm
beyou wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:38 pm I will try the Locast. One of the few things I miss on Hulu Live is CBS programming such as 60 minutes and maybe 1 or 2 other shows.
Maybe i'm odd, about the only programming i watch are live sports like football. if i watch 4 games a month. its about $1.50 a game.. i can't buy a beer for that at the tavern.

WIthout donating, it kills your stream and you have to restart it after some number of minutes.. After an advert to ask you to donate. Their process is very motivational, if you use it more then occasional few minutes to listen to live news or something.
I would find paying the few $ a month more beneficial to get CBS All Access, so I can stream on demand for shows I like.
The live sports I like are most NOT on broadcast TV but rather cable and lately very few streaming services (only 1 that I know of and it's expensive).

I didn't see on their site what is the min donation to get improved service, and maybe $5/month MIGHT be worth it, but not sure.
I really don't watch much live tv other than sports they do not have.
Soon2BXProgrammer

beyou wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:50 pm

I would find paying the few $ a month more beneficial to get CBS All Access, so I can stream on demand for shows I like.
The live sports I like are most NOT on broadcast TV but rather cable and lately very few streaming services (only 1 that I know of and it's expensive).

I didn't see on their site what is the min donation to get improved service, and maybe $5/month MIGHT be worth it, but not sure.
it isn't explicitly stated... but effectively a $5 donation gives you a month without nags. not saying it is for everyone.. but for those who want live TV that an antenna doesn't work for or don't want to deal with.. its a decent option.
Frankieg48336

Post by Frankieg48336 »

ensign wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:36 am I subscribed to the Hulu + Live TV plan streaming service for $43.99 in 2018.

In summary, the cost has increased over 60 percent in about 2 years. Anybody besides me considering getting rid of the service? Are there better, cheaper streaming options?
I dropped them over a year ago and use PHILO $20/mo and rabitt years for local TV
PlutoTV is free and had over 100 channels
Both apps work great on my first.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:52 pm
beyou wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:50 pm

it isn't explicitly stated... but effectively a $5 donation gives you a month without nags. not saying it is for everyone.. but for those who want live TV that an antenna doesn't work for or don't want to deal with.. its a decent option.
Thanks, may be worthwhile. SOME of my local sports are on public airwaves but not most of the games.
Other than sports I hate being tied to a specific time to watch and commercials.
Going to set this up on a couple of devices and if I find the programming times an options useful, then yeah, $5 is fine.
But if I am always watching CBS, then CBS All Access is similar cost and true streaming/on demand programming.
Might do both...we'll see. But not paying Hulu cable-like prices for live TV, especially when they dropped my favorite sports networks.
They were missing some and had others and recently dropped the most important one to me. I downgraded in minutes after that announcement.
Last edited by beyou on Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Consider doing the 2-yr cable TV dance. Sign up, get the new subscriber offer, sign on for 2 yrs, after 2yrs, cancel return equipment, have another household member sign up get the newest offer(DW, or DH) keep doing that.
Frankieg48336

Post by Frankieg48336 »

Frankieg48336 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:59 pm
ensign wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:36 am I subscribed to the Hulu + Live TV plan streaming service for $43.99 in 2018.

I dropped them over a year ago and use PHILO $20/mo and rabbit years for local TV
PlutoTV is free and had over 100 channels
Both apps work great on my fire TV with Amazon Prime ( has lots of content
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:05 am We were in the same boat a while back. Finally decided to drop live TV altogether.
I have Sling and you get a few channels for free. I watched election coverage on ABC News Live. That's the channel I go to if I feel like torturing myself
with cable news.
Otherwise, we use Netflix and Hulu for watching shows.
Antenna for watching Fox and CBS.
I may look into Sling at some point if I decide I am missing other live channels or sports, but for now, this works for us.
We were about to do the same basically, cancel Hulu, even before the price increase and now will. We'll use antenna for local over-the-air, plus Netflix and Prime. Dropped actual cable TV (we have cable internet) a few years ago.

I just checked out Philo since several mentioned it. Good price at $20/mo, but it's the channels we find we virtually never watch anymore on Hulu. People have wildly different views of the different cable news channels depending on their politics, but skipping over the details there's one which comprises a large % of our limited Hulu watching. But it's just not enough to justify the price, so we'll do without it. I used to be more into sports such that I'd watch channels in 'extra sports' cable type line ups, but nowadays it's rare I would watch a sporting event not major/local enough to be on OTA.

The free apps like Imdb (I've actually used) and Pluto (I haven't) are obviously fine: they're free. :happy But there's stuff you still have to pay for or pay to not have to watch commercials. We'll drop the stuff on Hulu you can't get without paying (cable news), and I have trouble now sitting through commercials if even a similar show is on Netflix.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Like a lot of things, initially companies use low prices to attract customers then they have to raise prices to try and make a profit. Google/YouTubeTV has been steadily rising for the same reasons.

I sure don't see people going back to cable/satellite tv since it is too convenient to use on demand viewing and even something like YouTubeTV's DVR is superior to a normal DVR in most cases.

The golden age of streaming for customers may be coming to an end. At least on the cost side.
bog007

Post by bog007 »

Carl von Clausewitz, ‘The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.’
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

The nicest thing about streaming, it's easy to cancel. I tried Hulu + Live and the price went up and then canceled. I then tried Youtube TV and the price went up and then canceled. I now have Sling orange+blue+news so far the price hasn't gone up, probably will soon. The price on Netflix went up and then canceled. I now have HBO Max at AMEX card special rate "Get a $7 statement credit when you spend $14.99+ on HBO Max valid until 2/26/2021".
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

beyou wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:38 pm The day they announced dropping Sinclair Fox Regional Sports Network channels was the day I decided to get rid of Hulu Live and downgrade to Hulu No Ads. I do appreciate being able to watch shows commercial free (which is 100% commercial free on Netflix, partially free on Hullu NoAds sub.

If any of these streaming services get back my desired sports teams I may try again in-season and then drop again at end of season.
I really hate watching commercials and will only put up with it for events that MUST be watched live.

Note you can get some free news apps on many platforms. I watch CBS, ABC, Bloomberg, Reuters and other free news apps.
They have commercials but free of cost and free of biased talking heads.

I will try the Locast. One of the few things I miss on Hulu Live is CBS programming such as 60 minutes and maybe 1 or 2 other shows.
You can watch 60 minutes on the CBSN app.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

rich126 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:26 pm Like a lot of things, initially companies use low prices to attract customers then they have to raise prices to try and make a profit. Google/YouTubeTV has been steadily rising for the same reasons.

I sure don't see people going back to cable/satellite tv since it is too convenient to use on demand viewing and even something like YouTubeTV's DVR is superior to a normal DVR in most cases.

The golden age of streaming for customers may be coming to an end. At least on the cost side.
Yeah. I believe it was Dish network that said (back in 2017 when I was cancelling the service) that streaming prices will rise and that the deal Dish was giving me was great. In fact, I've saved >$1,000 over the past three years not being on Dish (or any other traditional tv service). I first had DirecTV Now (got 3 free Apple TV 4ks out of them) and have been on Youtube TV for nearly 2 years after that. Even with recent price increases, Youtube TV is ~half the cost of Dish, and no unsightly cable boxes to deal with. The DVR is great and unlimited.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

beyou wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:50 pm I would find paying the few $ a month more beneficial to get CBS All Access, so I can stream on demand for shows I like.
I originally signed up for CBS All Access to watch the new Star Trek shows. We also use it occasionally to watch late night comedy (Colbert etc) the next day. And we rarely pay for it. There are free month coupon codes almost every month that work for existing subscribers.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/free-mon ... ous-users/

CBSN is our free “cable news” network.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Great thread. Tried locast and it’s nice.
Have to try the above cbs all acc coupons next.
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

We have had Hulu + Live TV for just about 3 years and have experienced the same unjustified big price increases. In addition, the technology is not the greatest and you're forced to watch advertising more often than not. Frankly, its no longer a good value. Like others, we're also dropping.
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

We also have Hulu + Live TV to go along with Netflix. I'm not thrilled about the recent news about the price increase. We're considering moving on but haven't picked a landing spot yet. The Live tv is a big selling point for us so the options are somewhat limited.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

2pedals wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:40 pm The nicest thing about streaming, it's easy to cancel. I tried Hulu + Live and the price went up and then canceled. ...The price on Netflix went up and then canceled.
It surely varies by taste in programming, which there's no arguing. But, for us Hulu at $55/mo for package we have (soon to be $65) was already a hugely worse value than Netflix at $14 (or whatever it will go up to soon in that ballpark). We watch several times as many hours per year of Netflix as Hulu. Hulu was always marginal given the evolution in our viewing habits away from 'basic cable' type viewing (usually with commercials). We kept it for the cable news, but recently decided that and a few other random things we watch on Hulu that we can't get via the antenna are not worth $55/month, let alone $65. Netflix remains a super value relative to our viewing tastes and we're nowhere near wanting to drop that. Or Prime, which is obviously a package of benefits besides TV.
Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire »

Hulu + Live TV was disappointing, even at $55 a month. For that price I did not expect to have movies interrupted by commercials. 65+ channels and oftentimes nothing worth watching. Netfix or Disney Plus is a much better value.
Last edited by Rdytoretire on Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

That got pricey quick.
We use Sling Blue=$31/month (with kids in college, many streams for this price. Honestly, I couldn't tell you exactly how many but at least 3, each with tivo like features).
ESPN+=$5/month
Netflix=$13/month
Total=$49/month
We get the best value with the ESPN+, so recommend you check that out if sports are part of your interest. Lots of live sports with all the ESPN channels (soccer/mma/tennis big in our house) to compensate for the lack of sports with Sling Blue, altho Sling Blue does have FS1.
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Check the Black Friday deals for streaming services.

fireman

Post by fireman »

I am following this thread with interest. Like others, I have been disappointed with Hulu and already wanted to find some sort of alternative. The recent price increase motivated me to get busy.

We use Hulu mainly to watch live sports (NFL, College Football, NBA and MLB). They had already dropped our local Fox sports channels, though it was off season for our NBA and MLB teams, so we did not yet feel the impact. Another major disappointment has been the inability to fast-forward through commercials on recorded content. I was ready to drop Hulu for this alone but just hadn't gotten around to it. We previously used Sony Playstation Vue, which I found to be very good for our viewing needs, but it was unfortunately discontinued by Sony in early 2020.

After some research, and this thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=318713&p=5338947,we are going to give Tablo a try. They currently have refurbished models on sale for $79.00 with free shipping so I ordered a Tablo Dual Lite OTA DVR. I will try to report back later on whether we like it or not. I am hopeful this will take care of our NFL and College Football viewing for the most part. The ability to again skip commercials on recorded content is very appealing. In addition to the initial unit cost, there are optional subscriptions for providing TV Guide service ($5/mo; $50/yr or $150 lifetime) and some sort of premium service ($2/mo or $20/yr). This premium service supposedly has the ability to auto-skip commercials on recorded content, which would easily be worth $20/yr to me. Both are offered free for 30 days.

We will maybe miss the various ESPN channels. Above, someone indicated that you could get this via an ESPN+ subscription. I don't think that is the case but am hopeful I am wrong. If not available via ESPN+, the cheapest option for these seems to be Sling's Orange package for $30/mo.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Misread post. - deleted.
tj

Post by tj »

I use an antenna. If I lived somewhere without an antenna signal, I'd probably pay the $5 for Locast, assuming that was available in my market.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

FUBO works for me.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

dts_12 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:15 am I'm in the same boat, I can't understand how they think raising prices 60% in two years is a good idea. Feel like I got baited and switched. Some how they are still slightly cheaper on a monthly basis than my cable options because cable charges me per TV. If Comcast had a brain they would do away with those extra screen fees and then they would be competitive/cheaper than the live tv streaming options.
If, at some point, you want to use Comcast, you can use a Roku with the Xfinity stream app. For the time being anyway, you then pay nothing for individual TV’s.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Youtube Premium for me
9.98 a month.

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Copper John

Post by Copper John »

fireman wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:07 pm I am following this thread with interest. Like others, I have been disappointed with Hulu and already wanted to find some sort of alternative. The recent price increase motivated me to get busy.

We use Hulu mainly to watch live sports (NFL, College Football, NBA and MLB). They had already dropped our local Fox sports channels, though it was off season for our NBA and MLB teams, so we did not yet feel the impact. Another major disappointment has been the inability to fast-forward through commercials on recorded content. I was ready to drop Hulu for this alone but just hadn't gotten around to it. We previously used Sony Playstation Vue, which I found to be very good for our viewing needs, but it was unfortunately discontinued by Sony in early 2020.

After some research, and this thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=318713&p=5338947,we are going to give Tablo a try. They currently have refurbished models on sale for $79.00 with free shipping so I ordered a Tablo Dual Lite OTA DVR. I will try to report back later on whether we like it or not. I am hopeful this will take care of our NFL and College Football viewing for the most part. The ability to again skip commercials on recorded content is very appealing. In addition to the initial unit cost, there are optional subscriptions for providing TV Guide service ($5/mo; $50/yr or $150 lifetime) and some sort of premium service ($2/mo or $20/yr). This premium service supposedly has the ability to auto-skip commercials on recorded content, which would easily be worth $20/yr to me. Both are offered free for 30 days.

We will maybe miss the various ESPN channels. Above, someone indicated that you could get this via an ESPN+ subscription. I don't think that is the case but am hopeful I am wrong. If not available via ESPN+, the cheapest option for these seems to be Sling's Orange package for $30/mo.
You are correct in regards to ESPN+. You do not get access to the ESPN channels, but get different content. In college football you will get coverage of lower tier games and not the ESPN games. For example, this weekend ESPN will be carrying Oregon -UCLA and Auburn- Tenn while ESPN+ will show E.Carolina vs Temple and Steven F. Austin vs Memphis. You will not get the ESPN NFL or MLB games with ESPN+.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

I switched to Hulu with LIve TV after Youtube TV's most recent price increase. I've been disappointed with Hulu but stuck with it because it was cheaper. Now that the price is increasing, I'll probably end up switching back to Youtube TV. As much as I don't want to reward Youtube TV for raising its prices every 15 minutes, I watch a lot of live TV and just haven't found another package that fits my viewing patterns better.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

FedGuy wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:34 pm I switched to Hulu with LIve TV after Youtube TV's most recent price increase. I've been disappointed with Hulu but stuck with it because it was cheaper. Now that the price is increasing, I'll probably end up switching back to Youtube TV. As much as I don't want to reward Youtube TV for raising its prices every 15 minutes, I watch a lot of live TV and just haven't found another package that fits my viewing patterns better.
Get an antenna and a Tablo with internal storage for recording OTA programing. Supplement with Philio and another streaming platform of your choice. We often rotate but have kids so locked in the 3 years of Disney+ for $120 when it came out.

Big expensive cable and steaming packages aren't necessary. The only annoying part is switching apps to go from main channels to cable on Philio.
brajalle

Post by brajalle »

If you are a Tmobile or Sprint customer you can get the new Tmobile tvision. They have 3 packages, plus a 4th that is $10 that is harder to find on their website.

Other than that, for live tv, antenna or Sling maybe.
lhl12

Post by lhl12 »

I cut the cord with Xfinity (going to internet-only with them) and signed up for YouTube TV a month or two before their most recent increase (which was significant - YouTube TV went from $50/month to $65/month).

The price increase was annoying but even at $65/month, this is still a much better deal for me. I eliminated the following charges from my Xfinity bill:
- cable box rental fees
- regional sports network fees
- all taxes and fees

Also, with an internet-only connection, I was able to negotiate progressively better deals for my internet service with Xfinity. I'm not sure why since I don't have any good alternatives.

I love that the YouTube TV channel guide is user-editable. You can hide all the channels you never watch and sort the ones you do watch in the order you want them.

And, it's great that you can watch YouTube TV from your laptop anywhere in the house (or in the world, for that matter). My wife likes to have the news on while she's cooking dinner so she just opens up her laptop in the kitchen instead of blaring the TV from the family room.

Finally, I'm a fan of the DVR on YouTube TV - unlimited cloud storage for 9 months and easy to set up and use.

I suppose there is a further level of price increase for YouTube TV that will cause me to reconsider it but for now it's great even at $65/month.