Easiest Way To Transfer To A New Computer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Easiest Way To Transfer To A New Computer

Post by Leesbro63 »

It's time to replace my Dell desktop computer with a new Dell desktop computer. Is there a way to "image" what's on here to there? So that I don't have to reinstall programs and passwords etc? I'd be more than willing to even pay a good computer person to do this for me.
mhalley

Re: Easiest Way To Transfer To A New Computer

Post by mhalley »

The last time I did this I used a program called PC Mover from Laplink. I thought it worked well, but it has been many years since I did it. Directly connecting them will make the process much faster as opposed to doing it over wifi etc.
https://web.laplink.com/transfer-progra ... medium=ppc
This article discusses other methods.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/get-organize ... to-another
I have heard of zinstall but no personal experience.
https://www.zinstall.com/products/zinst ... _FEALw_wcB
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I pay a token yearly fee to have my computer backed up to the cloud seamlessly behind the scenes on a daily basis. Whenever I get a new computer I just log into my online cloud backup site and tell it to restore onto my new computer which is also does seamlessly behind the scenes. It costs more than buying software to do it on a one time basis but has the advantaged of having a backed up computer should something destroy it and the ability to access any file anywhere in the world with internet access.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:57 pm I pay a token yearly fee to have my computer backed up to the cloud seamlessly behind the scenes on a daily basis. Whenever I get a new computer I just log into my online cloud backup site and tell it to restore onto my new computer which is also does seamlessly behind the scenes. It costs more than buying software to do it on a one time basis but has the advantaged of having a backed up computer should something destroy it and the ability to access any file anywhere in the world with internet access.
Does that reinstall all the software automatically?

The only way I've been able to do this is to use Sysprep, the built in tool for creating deployable Windows images but the process for doing this with Sysprep is not trivial. It took me about three months to really master it for deploying a common image to multiple machines. It wouldn't be worth the time for a one-off.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

jebmke wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:02 pm
lthenderson wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:57 pm I pay a token yearly fee to have my computer backed up to the cloud seamlessly behind the scenes on a daily basis. Whenever I get a new computer I just log into my online cloud backup site and tell it to restore onto my new computer which is also does seamlessly behind the scenes. It costs more than buying software to do it on a one time basis but has the advantaged of having a backed up computer should something destroy it and the ability to access any file anywhere in the world with internet access.
Does that reinstall all the software automatically?

The only way I've been able to do this is to use Sysprep, the built in tool for creating deployable Windows images but the process for doing this with Sysprep is not trivial. It took me about three months to really master it for deploying a common image to multiple machines. It wouldn't be worth the time for a one-off.
No, it is data only. I always install a fresh copy of any software I purchased, mostly because anytime I upgrade, I go from one version of an OS to another.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:46 pm It's time to replace my Dell desktop computer with a new Dell desktop computer. Is there a way to "image" what's on here to there? So that I don't have to reinstall programs and passwords etc? I'd be more than willing to even pay a good computer person to do this for me.
I would migrate data and reinstall most programs (especially ones that can easily be downloaded such as Firefox, Chrome or a password manager). If you have old programs that you no longer have the disk for I'd handle those by exception (or figure out how to migrate off them before you move to the new computer). I keep all of my data in various cloud services because I already need it on multiple computers so it automatically migrates over to a new computer. Browser settings are an example of something that will easily migrate over when saved to the cloud inside the browser.

I am trained and work as an IT person but I do not consider IT to be a hobby. Life is too short to deal with data migration and software interoperability as an ongoing hobby. I don't keep old software on life support. I extract data and migrate it to something that's supported. For Ancestry data I bit the bullet and migrated from PAF to RootsMagic a few years ago. Ended up only taking about 30 minutes of research and 30 minutes to download and migrate.
annu

Post by annu »

Passwords:Browsers you can back up/save to account and then using same on new system you are all good.
For installing programs look into ninite https://ninite.com/

For regular data, assuming it is windows, check this out https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... -your-data
z91

Post by z91 »

Buy an external hard drive and save all the flat files. Install all programs you need and get it all setup like new. Use the new computer as usual and if you need something in 60 days pull it from the old machine. If you don't need anything in 60 days, drill out the hard drive and send it to eWaste.

IMO nobody's got the data transfer process down well enough, and there will always be things that don't transition over. Just start fresh and save some headache.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

z91 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:34 am Buy an external hard drive and save all the flat files. Install all programs you need and get it all setup like new. Use the new computer as usual and if you need something in 60 days pull it from the old machine. If you don't need anything in 60 days, drill out the hard drive and send it to eWaste.

IMO nobody's got the data transfer process down well enough, and there will always be things that don't transition over. Just start fresh and save some headache.
I exported all my data files to a thumb drive and imported the folders I need to my new computer's SSD. I installed all my software: security, chrome, Office 365, etc. The thing I have not done yet is move my Outlook calendar, contacts and archives to the new computer although that appears to be straightforward. Any other data files I might need in future I can get from the thumb drive. I have set my old PC aside and can use it to get something I might have missed.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

swap necessary items to the cloud (or external hard drive), then swap them back down to new device.

Personally would be leery of imaging if it also copies malware or the like to a new machine.

Its a headache w/ a new machine guessing we all go thru, but also forces one to organize files up front for easier copying so future new machine transfers are easier (my opinion)

Was a thread on this topic about a month back.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

How often do you replace your computer? I only do it once every eight years or so, and I prefer doing it manually. I get new copies of the programs I use and transfer my data using external disk drives. Everything else (i.e all the crap that's built up) I leave behind. I keep the old computer until I'm completely satisfied I've transferred everything I need.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

cheese_breath wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:41 am How often do you replace your computer? I only do it once every eight years or so, and I prefer doing it manually. I get new copies of the programs I use and transfer my data using external disk drives. Everything else (i.e all the crap that's built up) I leave behind. I keep the old computer until I'm completely satisfied I've transferred everything I need.

+1
midareff

Post by midareff »

Leesbro63 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:46 pm It's time to replace my Dell desktop computer with a new Dell desktop computer. Is there a way to "image" what's on here to there? So that I don't have to reinstall programs and passwords etc? I'd be more than willing to even pay a good computer person to do this for me.
Dell offers (sells) software exactly for that purpose. You may be able to negotiate it in free with a sales rep. I recently added a Dell laptop which uses an XDHC card port and simply copied all my files over to that as well as the installer program files of the programs I wanted to run on the new machine. It took a bit of time to get everything the way I want but I'm retired and time I have. OTOH, when changing phones Samsung has Smart Switch built in but it still takes a bit of time to reorganize things the way you want.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

cheese_breath wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:41 am How often do you replace your computer? I only do it once every eight years or so, and I prefer doing it manually. I get new copies of the programs I use and transfer my data using external disk drives. Everything else (i.e all the crap that's built up) I leave behind. I keep the old computer until I'm completely satisfied I've transferred everything I need.
That sounds about right. Before W10 I used to reinstall the OS every couple of years just to clean things up. Not necessary with W10 but I have become an aggressive “un-installer”. Every few months I jettison software that I no longer use. I have also shifted my habits — if I am trying out a new package I do this in a virtual machine so that cuts down on orphans.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
marti038

Post by marti038 »

+1. We buy 2TB per year through dropbox. I think we pay $100 or $120 per year.

We actually just bought a new computer and will be moving all of our data, pics, videos, files, etc. soon. Dropbox should make this pretty easy.
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

Is old system Windows 7 or Windows 10?
If you image the entire disk and move it to Windows 10, then you still may need to update drivers, license Windows 10 properly, etc.
If you purchase additional software to move programs, setup, and licenses, you might also see difficulty with that.

Most would start with a clean machine, reinstall essential programs, restore data, and test.
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

I would also recommend a fresh start. Clean slate.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

eye.surgeon wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:39 am I would also recommend a fresh start. Clean slate.
I don't even like the system that ships on a new machine. Typically a lot of OEM installed stuff that has no use for me. The first thing I do with a new computer is reinstall the OS from a bare Windows image.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

marti038 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:26 am
+1. We buy 2TB per year through dropbox. I think we pay $100 or $120 per year.

We actually just bought a new computer and will be moving all of our data, pics, videos, files, etc. soon. Dropbox should make this pretty easy.
FWIW, I use Carbonite with unlimited storage for $50 a year. I may be grandfathered into a price though as a long time user because their current pricing is $72 a year but still for unlimited storage and up to three computers.
jaxxmjd

Post by jaxxmjd »

For the cleanest experience if your new machine already has an OS installed, create a list of necessary applications and reinstall them manually on the new machine. Backup specific files to any external medium and transfer them to the new box.

If you're really looking to image your existing environment, check out Macrium Reflect.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Target2019 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:36 am
Is old system Windows 7 or Windows 10?
If you image the entire disk and move it to Windows 10, then you still may need to update drivers, license Windows 10 properly, etc.
If you purchase additional software to move programs, setup, and licenses, you might also see difficulty with that.

Most would start with a clean machine, reinstall essential programs, restore data, and test.
Current 4-year-old machine is Win10
Last edited by Leesbro63 on Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

My most recent move I took out the SSD from the old one then replaced the drive in the new with it and the only hitch was that adobe digital editions had to be reauthorized.
rahulpandit

Post by rahulpandit »

Whenever i buy a new computer, i start it by having 100GB for the OS and some programs, but create another partition, say D:\ drive with a OneDrive folder in which everything goes.Now you turn on online backup, and all your files are backed up to the cloud. When you get a new computer, you repeat the steps but this time OneDrive will automatically sync your files. Now this does not install all your old programs, but i would say that is preferable as the list of programs that we use and want installed changes over time. Also the installed programs collect cached data and have stale files collected over time. So it makes sense to install programs again - You may want to just have a list of those programs and put all the installables in one install folder (on D: drive). You just go and install all the files one by one.
Hope this helps.