HBO Max - view on TV?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JBTX

HBO Max - view on TV?

Post by JBTX »

Is it possible to watch HBO Max on an actual TV set? It doesn't work with Roku or Firestick due to contract negotiations. I did get a 3 month trial on directv but you can't actually watch hbo max on directv, only some of the hbo channels. I was able to get hbo max app for iPhone, and that works with my directv login on my iPhone. However I tried to airplay/screen mirror to TV via Roku and the mirroring works, but that actual visual content appears to be blacked out. You can view the hbo previews via airplay on the TV but the actual show is blacked out.

Is it HBOs intention for HBO max not to be viewed on TV sets at all? Is there some other way to accomplish this?
OnceARunner

Re: HBO Max - view on TV?

Post by OnceARunner »

There are already ways to do it (AppleTV, PS4, xBoxOne, or chromecast), but the simplest for you may be to wait til tomorrow if you want to use your firestick.

https://www.cnet.com/news/hbo-max-app-a ... sday-roku/

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/h ... 234832829/
Last edited by OnceARunner on Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

I watch HBO Max on my TV using my Apple TV streaming box.
Wiki
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

I watch HBO Max via chromecast to my 65" TV with no problems.
Chadnudj

Post by Chadnudj »

JBTX wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:49 pm Is it possible to watch HBO Max on an actual TV set? It doesn't work with Roku or Firestick due to contract negotiations. I did get a 3 month trial on directv but you can't actually watch hbo max on directv, only some of the hbo channels. I was able to get hbo max app for iPhone, and that works with my directv login on my iPhone. However I tried to airplay/screen mirror to TV via Roku and the mirroring works, but that actual visual content appears to be blacked out. You can view the hbo previews via airplay on the TV but the actual show is blacked out.

Is it HBOs intention for HBO max not to be viewed on TV sets at all? Is there some other way to accomplish this?
FYI: HBO Max and Amazon Fire are now compatible (or will be beginning tomorrow): https://www.cnet.com/news/hbo-max-app-a ... sday-roku/
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I've been using HBO Max on my FireTV devices for several months, by manually installing the Android app over the stock HBO app. I'd provide instructions as for how to do so, but it seems that will no longer be necessary as of tomorrow.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:15 pm I've been using HBO Max on my FireTV devices for several months, by manually installing the Android app over the stock HBO app. I'd provide instructions as for how to do so, but it seems that will no longer be necessary as of tomorrow.
I had been doing the same thing. Glad to see that Amazon and HBO finally worked out a deal. Side-loading is a pain in the remote control
magicrat

Post by magicrat »

connect your phone to the TV
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Thanks. I guess I'm still screwed using Iphone and Roku.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

JBTX wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:55 pm Thanks. I guess I'm still screwed using Iphone and Roku.
I haven't read in-depth, but it's my understanding that Roku is now going to support Airplay 2. If that's the case, you should be able to just cast your iPhone's HBO Max app to your Roku.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/11/215 ... -available
Oicuryy

Post by Oicuryy »

JBTX wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:55 pm Thanks. I guess I'm still screwed using Iphone and Roku.
Not if your iphone and Roku both support AirPlay 2. See these instructions from HBO Max.
https://help.hbomax.com/Answer/Detail/2346

Ron
Money is fungible | Abbreviations and Acronyms
ccf

Post by ccf »

I watch it via the Hulu app (on my Roku). It's on of the premiums that you can add to Hulu.

Roku will support it in the upcoming OS update.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

HBO Max and Amazon Fire TV have reached an agreement I understand. Starting tomorrow.

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/hbo ... ng-tuesday
Last edited by bloom2708 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
dlrkw9mu

Post by dlrkw9mu »

JBTX wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:49 pm Is it possible to watch HBO Max on an actual TV set? It doesn't work with Roku or Firestick due to contract negotiations. I did get a 3 month trial on directv but you can't actually watch hbo max on directv, only some of the hbo channels. I was able to get hbo max app for iPhone, and that works with my directv login on my iPhone. However I tried to airplay/screen mirror to TV via Roku and the mirroring works, but that actual visual content appears to be blacked out. You can view the hbo previews via airplay on the TV but the actual show is blacked out.

You can sign in and watch some of the content on Roku's HBO app. But not all of the content on HBO max is available.
We've resorted to wirelessly casting a laptop screen to our TV when the content isn't available on the standard HBO app. It's easy to do, but sort of glitchy.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

What type of TV do you have?
Samsung Smart TVs support the HBO Max App wothp it the need for any external hardware.
I suspect some other manufacturers do as well?
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

It works on my Roku. You just have to download from the channels store.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Works on our Samsung smart TVs. The app is on the TV
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Works on our Samsung smart TVs. The app is on the TV
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Oicuryy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:28 pm
Not if your iphone and Roku both support AirPlay 2. See these instructions from HBO Max.

Ron
I did that last night. The technology works. You can see previews. But one of the parties is blacking out the video content, so currently this doesn't work as an option.
Last edited by JBTX on Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

anonenigma wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:43 pm It works on my Roku. You just have to download from the channels store.
HBO max is not on the Roku channel store
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

marcopolo wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:41 pm

Samsung Smart TVs support the HBO Max App wothp it the need for any external hardware.
10+ year old Panasonic plasma.
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Oicuryy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:28 pm

Ron
Thanks for this link. By the looks of it both Roku and HBO max say you can do this. And the setup absolutely works. I can view the first minute or so of preview. But the actual show that follows is blacked out and you only get audio. This has to be by design. I can watch the 3 minute ridley Scott previews of raised by wolves, and I can see the first hbo preview of another show in the first episode, but the actual episode is blacked out.

I've seen a couple of others on the net with the same issue but no solution posted.

This references the blockage

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/techl ... ked-171481
Oicuryy

Post by Oicuryy »

JBTX wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:49 pm However I tried to airplay/screen mirror to TV via Roku and the mirroring works, but that actual visual content appears to be blacked out. You can view the hbo previews via airplay on the TV but the actual show is blacked out.
Airplay and screen mirroring are two different Apple features. Have you tried both? This Apple article describes how to use each of them. HBO's instructions for Roku say to start the video on the iphone then press the airplay button at the bottom of the video.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204289

Ron
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

JBTX wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:49 pm Is it possible to watch HBO Max on an actual TV set?
I watch it on PS4.
JBTX wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:49 pm Is it HBOs intention for HBO max not to be viewed on TV sets at all? Is there some other way to accomplish this?
I think HBO is owned by the studios. They are known to be extremely restrictive, hence Netflix came out to be.
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Oicuryy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:42 pm
JBTX wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:49 pm However I tried to airplay/screen mirror to TV via Roku and the mirroring works, but that actual visual content appears to be blacked out. You can view the hbo previews via airplay on the TV but the actual show is blacked out.
Airplay and screen mirroring are two different Apple features. Have you tried both? This Apple article describes how to use each of them. HBO's instructions for Roku say to start the video on the iphone then press the airplay button at the bottom of the video.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204289

Ron
They appear to be the same.

There is no airplay icon or button within hbo max app.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Been watching HBOMax on my Samsung TV and Amazon Firestick for months with no issue. Just had to side load it as described in these YouTube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +firestick
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

We have HBO Max as part of our Xfinity cable internet service.

In order to get it to work on my Roku I had to log in to the HBO site an a browser using my Xfinity account and CREATE a new username and password then it worked on my Roku.

I don't see any content that's different on the Roku than my phone running the HBO Max account. What content am I missing?
Rajsx

Post by Rajsx »

Although I am not a prolific TV watcher, I am glued to my Laptop instead for news, You Tube, Forums etc.

We just upgraded to 1000bps with AT&T Wireless & received complimentary HBO Max. We do have a smart TV, a Roku Stick & I plan to download the HBO App on the TV & am hoping to watch the HBO channel.

I am following this thread for any pointers.
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

HoosierJim wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:42 am I don't see any content that's different on the Roku than my phone running the HBO Max account. What content am I missing?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_H ... rogramming

As an example (and because it's a fantastic documentary), search for "Class Action Park". I bet you will find it on your phone, but not your Roku.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I have an extra HDMI cable that I plug into my laptop. Would rather just be able to use Roku, but having an extra HDMI cable works.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

JBTX wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:26 pm

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by
You can watch HBO on a regular tv if you subscribe to HBO via your provider (e.g., Comcast, Verizon, Directv, etc.). An app through a smart tv, roku, amazon firestick, etc. allows you to watch the same shows as well as a library of shows/movies that HBO has the rights to. Doing that via a regular tv channel isn't possible. You need some kind of software to allow a viewer to scroll through shows, pick what they want to watch, etc.

If your Panasonic plasma has an HDMI connector, I'd recommend buying a firestick (if HBO is desired this would be the choice now) or Roku next week since they are likely on sale due to Thanksgiving and the holidays. Once you own the device you only pay monthly fees for any services you subscribe to (HBO, Disney, whatever). I have 2 older Panasonic Plasma TVs and I use Roku/Firesticks on them and things work fine (assuming you have wifi in the house).

I'm guessing most devices would likely cost $50 or less. I know I picked up several last year. They come in handy while traveling and staying in hotel rooms (not much of that this year).
Oicuryy

Post by Oicuryy »

The airplay icon is circled in this screenshot of the HBOmax app on my ipad. It airplays from my ipad air (3rd gen.) to my Roku ultra (4670RW). But screen mirroring works too.

Ron
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

lazydavid wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:44 am example (and because it's a fantastic documentary), search for "Class Action Park". I bet you will find it on your phone, but not your Roku.

I check HBOMAX via a web browser on a computer - and the HBOMAX phone app- it's there.

Checked the roku-hbo. NOT THERE as you said.

Didn't know what I was missing.

HBO has to have the most confusing branding & products I've ever seen - only Microsoft is more confusing. We recently watched the show THE UNDOING which was release on Oct 25,2020 so I thought we had everything on ROKU.

Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

rich126 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:52 am
JBTX wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:26 pm

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by
You can watch HBO on a regular tv if you subscribe to HBO via your provider (e.g., Comcast, Verizon, Directv, etc.). An app through a smart tv, roku, amazon firestick, etc. allows you to watch the same shows as well as a library of shows/movies that HBO has the rights to. Doing that via a regular tv channel isn't possible. You need some kind of software to allow a viewer to scroll through shows, pick what they want to watch, etc.

If your Panasonic plasma has an HDMI connector, I'd recommend buying a firestick (if HBO is desired this would be the choice now) or Roku next week since they are likely on sale due to Thanksgiving and the holidays. Once you own the device you only pay monthly fees for any services you subscribe to (HBO, Disney, whatever). I have 2 older Panasonic Plasma TVs and I use Roku/Firesticks on them and things work fine (assuming you have wifi in the house).

I'm guessing most devices would likely cost $50 or less. I know I picked up several last year. They come in handy while traveling and staying in hotel rooms (not much of that this year).
I said that because there was/ is no way to do it via directv, roku or iPhone screen mirroring. Other ways I wouldn't know about. I agree a cheap Firestick may be the way to go.
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Oicuryy wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:19 pm The airplay icon is circled in this screenshot of the HBOmax app on my ipad. It airplays from my ipad air (3rd gen.) to my Roku ultra (4670RW). But screen mirroring works too.

Ron
Glad it works for you. It isn't there on mine. Since I started this thread I have seen several articles referencing the blockage, exactly as I am experiencing it. HBO has asserted it is a technical glitch and it isn't intentional

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/techl ... ked-171481

https://thestreamable.com/news/roku-beg ... is-blocked
While we have received multiple reports of customers, unable to AirPlay to stream HBO Max on their Roku device, this seems more a technical hiccup than a “business decision.” Additionally, when screen mirroring, HBO Max will just play audio on the Roku player.

After publishing, Roku in a statement said to us “we are still in the early process of rolling out AirPlay2 & HomeKit and all apps that are AirPlay-enabled work.” HBO Max confirmed to us that no blocking is occurring, but some technical requirements have yet to be met. So, HBO Max will work on Roku streaming players with AirPlay support.
Oicuryy

Post by Oicuryy »

Airplay of a downloaded HBOmax program to Roku does not work. Don't know if that is a feature or a bug.
https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Devi ... rue#M15036

Ron
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Oicuryy wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:59 pm Airplay of a downloaded HBOmax program to Roku does not work. Don't know if that is a feature or a bug.
https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Devi ... rue#M15036

Ron
That may be it! Downloaded didn't work, but just hitting play straight up worked, at least on one video!

This definitely worked! Thanks. Just dont download.