Back to Golfing: Best GPS Options?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cruise

Back to Golfing: Best GPS Options?

Post by Cruise »

Went back to golfing following extended absence. Took out my old Garmin GPS watch, and found that it had melted, so unusable. I've perused options to get an app for my Iphone/Watch, but as I recall from previous testing, this realy is a drain on the phone battery (and probably the watch battery as well). I am not interested in a device giving me swing tips or keeping score--just giving me accurate yardages to front/middle/back. If I purchased an app for the phone/watch, I would want a free version. I'm OK purchasing a stand-alone unit for my wrist if that were the best option.

I'd appreciate any user recommendations. Many thanks!
bloom2708

Re: Back to Golfing: Best GPS Options?

Post by bloom2708 »

Garmin has some good options:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cGolfing-p1.html

Battery life should be very good. I have a Garmin 945 (not for golf). It lasts 6-7 days between charges.

My nephew has the S60. We golfed and he was showing it to me as we went. Pretty slick.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
retire14

Post by retire14 »

Get one that you can change the battery. I have an old Bushnell that is chargeable but once the battery is gone, it’s gone.
I personally prefer a laser range finder. A cheapest callaway is about $200 and is very good and reliable.
treypar

Post by treypar »

I use the Garmin Approach S20 watch. It works great.
Van

Post by Van »

Try the TecTecTec golf watch. Reasonably priced, long-lasting battery and very straight forward to use.

I've had Garmin, Bushnell etc., but I like this one better.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

treypar wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:38 pm I use the Garmin Approach S20 watch. It works great.
Me, too.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

I have a Bushnell Ghost.

Its great to keep in your pocket. It has a clip that can clip on a push cart and the newer ones have a magnet on the back to stick on a golf cart.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
dvvader

Post by dvvader »

I use The Grint phone app, which has a free version and includes GPS. The app also allows you to track score, fairways hit, GIRs, and putts manually if you so desire, which helps to identify probable areas of weakness and improvements. I have an older phone and am able to get through a round without draining the battery.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

I use the Golfshot Pro app on my Iphone. It cost me $29.99 about 8 years ago and it does everything I need. Gives me distances to front, middle and back, as well as bunkers and hazards.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Do these various GPS devices only give general distances such as front, middle, back of greens or capable of flag stick distance?
Topic Author
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

OP here. Many thanks for all of the app and instrument recommendations! While I was familiar with Garmin and Bushnell, never heard of TecTecTec, which seems to have a nice price point. I think I will try a free phone app first, and see how that works for me. In an ideal world, I'd rather not have more than my Apple Watch on my wrist.

Thanks again!
Gill

Post by Gill »

MDfan wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:30 pm I use the Golfshot Pro app on my Iphone. It cost me $29.99 about 8 years ago and it does everything I need. Gives me distances to front, middle and back, as well as bunkers and hazards.
Me too. Also I keep all my scores on it. Can't beat it.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal