Lenovo Chromebook Duet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jaqenhghar

Lenovo Chromebook Duet

Post by jaqenhghar »

Saw this Lenovo tablet with keyboard at Best Buy today and have fallen in love with it. Before I pull the trigger, does anyone have the Duet and could share their thoughts?

Online reviews seem good for what I need.

Mostly reading Bogleheads, checking email, surfing the net, and hobby blogging.
acegolfer

Re: Lenovo Chromebook Duet

Post by acegolfer »

In general, chromebooks are great for those web surfing tasks. But don't expect to run heavy tasks such as photo/video editing. In addition, they have support for android apps but they run in a container so the performance is not as good as android devices.

As for Duet itself, it's a great media consumption device (less than 1 lbs). But if you type a lot in various positions (couch, bed), then the keyboard is small and the hinge is wobbly (imagine Surface Pro).
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I've read/seen quite a few reviews and they have been fairly unanimous in that it is a great product for the price. I was interested in one but a 10" screen doesn't cut it for me. I am hoping they make a 12" version.
abracadabra11

Post by abracadabra11 »

We use ours primarily for streaming while doing chores or relaxing in bed. It's a great device for the money. I actively close any background apps since it's not the most powerful device on the market. The included cover and keyboard really make it a very functional device. I wouldn't want to do any prolonged typing on it, but it's a better input device than the on screen keyboard.
Topic Author
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Thanks, all. I'll probably end up getting it. Will post back if I do!
Topic Author
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Got it today and absolutely love it. Does what I need to do really well!
rixer

Post by rixer »

I can only speak of my experience. I bought a lenova and it's the slowest laptop I've used in years. I hate it, today it took almost 3 hours to update and I was frozen out. My dell chromebook that I surf with has never had that issue. For a cheap laptop, my chromebook has it all over my lenova. But that's just my experience and the lenova I have is not a chromebook though.. YMMV.
fed123

Post by fed123 »

I prefer to have a bigger screen on my Chromebooks but bought the Lenovo duet to use as a tablet. Works great, especially after I got a cover for it that has a wake/sleep function so I don't have to turn it on with the power button.
egrets

Post by egrets »

Just about Lenovo in general, I really like my Lenovo laptops. They are so much sturdier than the hp ones I used to have, the latter broke consistently in about two years, usually the display hinges broke.
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

The Duet is a great product for the price. But only if the small screen and small keyboard don't bother you. Personally, I'd want bigger.

However, for a kid's laptop for school, it's perfect.