Looking for a knife set

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
OnBoard

Looking for a knife set

Post by OnBoard »

Home chefs,

Looking for recommendations on a great quality kitchen knife set.

Budget: <$300

🙏
czeckers

Re: Looking for a knife set

Post by czeckers »

Victorinox (makers of swiss army knives) makes excellent kitchen knives in their fibrox pro line. They are a good value for the money. They hold an edge far longer than any of my other knives. The fibrox handles, though not as pretty as the wooden ones on say, a set of Henckles, are nonslip and give you a good grip. 10-piece set with wooden knife block on Amazon for $250. Make sure you get the pro series.
Last edited by czeckers on Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Espresso portfolio: | | 20% US TSM, 20% Small Value, 10% US REIT, 10% Dev Int'l, 10% EM, 10% Commodities, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I have a 30 year old Wüsthof small set, that was probably equivalently $300 (maybe $600 though) back then, it is still going strong, and we cook almost all meals from scratch. I'd say it's quality, well balanced, and will likely last through my lifetime.

Higher quality sets need weekly maintenance, if you want to keep them working like new. I purchased an Apex knife sharpening system in the 90s which simplified the task to about 20-30 minutes to sharpen them through 4 stone grits. This is just to point out that an expensive knife set requires proper maintenance (not those cheap, pull the knife towards you gadgets) from stone to maintain it's ability to cut through a piece of paper soft butter.
Last edited by Kagord on Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
czeckers

Post by czeckers »

Preferred knife sharpening system is a whole other can of worms. I've had good results with the Spyderco sharp maker.
The Espresso portfolio: | | 20% US TSM, 20% Small Value, 10% US REIT, 10% Dev Int'l, 10% EM, 10% Commodities, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

I would not buy a set.
1. Knife block. $50. Ours holds 8 steak knives, scissors/shears, chef’s knife, etc. Wüsthof, Henckels are 2 places to start.
2. Classic German-style chef’s knife. 6 or 8 inch. I have big hands, but I prefer the 6-inch. $90-$150.
3. Paring knife. Ours is cheap one after I destroyed the expensive one. $20
4. Kitchen shears. $20. Take apart design is easier to clean.
5. Boning knife. $100

Buy additional knives over time.
For example: you will come to desire a nakiri knife for only $300
https://www.zwilling.com/us/zwilling-kr ... suggestion

Start researching sharpening devices.

Have time on your hands? The Reddit knife forum is for you.
https://www.reddit.com/r/chefknives/

You will want/need a ‘nice’ cutting board. https://boazstore.com/
Last edited by Bogle7 on Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

For fans: Read An Edge in the Kitchen

For all the effort the OP seems to be putting into it, along with the minimum of features described, I'd suggest going to a big box store cooking section and buying the first shiny set you see, should do "be a knife set" and at your price point.
Pale Blue Dot
nimo956

Post by nimo956 »

Check out this website:
https://japanesechefsknife.com/

Rather than a knife set, you can do most of what you need with a chef’s knife (gyuto), petty knife, paring knife, and bread knife.

I personally have the Hattori Forums FH series, recommended to me by a friend who is a chef.

If you also want a Chinese cleaver, see: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ccksmstcl.html

Edit:
Here are a few other pieces of kitchenware I find indispensable:
Handmade Cutting Board: https://theboardsmith.com/
Staub Dutch oven: https://www.amazon.com/Staub-Round-Dutc ... +qt&sr=8-3
Falk Copper Frying Pan: https://www.copperpans.com/classic-fryi ... 8-cm-11-in
Last edited by nimo956 on Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
50% VTI / 50% VXUS
Bengineer

Post by Bengineer »

Agreed on buying individual knives vs a set.

If you have a partner, they may prefer a different handle size/type, blade shapes and lengths.

We use magnetic knife blocks near the sink for the most used ones. I like seeing my knives at hand, they're up off the counter and convenient to use, hand washed and back ready to go which often happens multiple times when we're both cooking.

Our most-used: 8" & 6" classic German/French style cook's, various paring. Less so: 8" santoku, 6" utility, 8" bread,10" slicer, 10" cook's, 6" boning. They're a mish-mash of brands - Wusthof, Henkles, Mercer, Victorinox.

My current favorite mid-priced brand is Mercer. I chose the "Genesis" style handles. The "Renaissance" have the traditional riveted. They're forged and I find them to have good steel, shape and heft.

I use a steel to maintain the edges and a ~600 grit "fine" diamond "stone" to sharpen. I don't find I need to go to a finer grit for cooking knives.
GT99

Post by GT99 »

I also agree on not doing a set. Think about the knives you'll actually use. I'm an avid home cook, and ~95% of my knife use is chef or pairing. ~4% is bread or boning. <1% is anything else.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

GT99 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:54 am I also agree on not doing a set. Think about the knives you'll actually use. I'm an avid home cook, and ~95% of my knife use is chef or pairing. ~4% is bread or boning. <1% is anything else.
The old saying is there are three desirable qualities in a knife. Easy to sharpen, holds the edge well and looks good (no staining). Generally you can get two of those in any knife, depending on the steel used. Its your choice.
galving

Post by galving »

I like the idea of building your own set.
We have had a Wusthof for >15 years and they're great sharp etc. They are my standard. . .
A neighbor (mechanical engineer) came by and brought over a chef style knife that he made and it was ridiculously good, perfectly balanced, amazingly sharp. I'd buy a custom knife if I needed to upgrade or replace one in the future.
Bogle7 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:39 am I would not buy a set.
1. Knife block. $50. Ours holds 8 steak knives, scissors/shears, chef’s knife, etc. Wüsthof, Henckels are 2 places to start.
2. Classic German-style chef’s knife. 6 or 8 inch. I have big hands, but I prefer the 6-inch. $90-$150.
5. Boning knife. $100

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons »

Just ordered this, highly rated and <$100 !

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GI ... UTF8&psc=1
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
mhc

Post by mhc »

GT99 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:54 am I also agree on not doing a set. Think about the knives you'll actually use. I'm an avid home cook, and ~95% of my knife use is chef or pairing. ~4% is bread or boning. <1% is anything else.
I agree. I could probably get by with just those two knives. Start with those 2 and add as needed.

Learning how to hone with a steel and sharpen with a stone will help a lot.

If you cook large cuts of meat, a 12" slicer is really nice.

If you slice bread, then a bread knife is really nice.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I like Global knives.

A set will give you several expensive knives that never get used. I find good chef’s and boning knives, then cheap restaurant supply paring and bread knives to be plenty. The paring knife just gets replaced every once in awhile. Cheaper than sharpening.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

5. Boning knife. $100

Dangit - this is almost exactly what I was going to write.

I do disagree on the paring/boning knife prices - I would recommend a high quality paring knife, and a cheap $20-ish flexible boning knife. I use the paring knife daily, and want a higher quality steel that holds its edge. The boning knife is more specialized, and a flexible blade won't hold its edge regardless, so I don't see much benefit to spending more on better steel.

I also strongly recommend learning to use a whetstone and sharpening by hand. I used to use a Chefs Choice 130 diamond grinder because I had no idea what I was doing, and this model is fairly idiot-proof (it used magnets to hold the blade at the proper angle). It turns out that hand-sharpening is easy; once I learned how to sharpen, I never went back - the hand-sharpened blade is noticeably sharper, and lasts longer, than the automatic sharpener. And it's way, way cheaper, too. There are tons of videos on YouTube showing you how to do it - here's a recent one from Kenji Lopez-Alt.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

If you will be using the knives to prepare food versus being decorative on your kitchen counter, I'd go the individual knife route.

A typical 3 knife set is:
8-in. chef's knife
5-in. serrated utility knife (I have no idea how one sharpens this or if it needs sharpening)
3-in. paring knife

I'd go with an 8 inch chef's knife and then another knife for food prep - maybe a 5 inch or another 8 inch blade. Those would be my 3 knives. I would hold the knives to check the balance. The knife point shouldn't plunge down when you grip the knife and open your hand. Even a well balanced knife that wont hold a sharpening is better than an unbalanced knife.

I would also consider how you will be sharpening the knives. If you think you there's no need to sharpen knives - just buy any inexpensive knife set that looks nice.

You will need a couple of comfortable to use/sharp paring knives they can be replaced as needed (i like the OXO paring knife)
a comfortable to use peeler (I like the OXO peeler)
and an inexpensive "bread knife".

I have an 8in Wustof Chef's knife (I do not use this - I have little girly hands and it's a little unwieldy for me - when a guy is helping cook - this is the knife they choose. I have an 8 inch santuko that I find more comfortable to use for big things. My "workhorse" knive is a 5 inch santuko - I use this knife every time I cook. I've use a hand held Wustof sharpener.

Counter space is at a premium in my kitchen so I keep my knives on a magnetic strip attached to a kitchen cabinet (near the main work area).

Please, do not put you knives loose in a drawer (it's a great way to dull the blade AND possibly cut yourself when going to use one).
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:11 am
Counter space is at a premium in my kitchen so I keep my knives on a magnetic strip attached to a kitchen cabinet (near the main work area).

Please, do not put you knives loose in a drawer (it's a great way to dull the blade AND possibly cut yourself when going to use one).
Good point. A wood block is a good way to dull your knives as well.

We use the magnetic strip method too. Make sure you get a good one. The sheer terror of knocking a 8” chef’s knife off the wall while walking around the kitchen in bare feet cannot be overstated.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:11 am If you will be using the knives to prepare food versus being decorative on your kitchen counter, I'd go the individual knife route.

A typical 3 knife set is:
8-in. chef's knife
5-in. serrated utility knife (I have no idea how one sharpens this or if it needs sharpening)
3-in. paring knife

I'd go with an 8 inch chef's knife and then another knife for food prep - maybe a 5 inch or another 8 inch blade. Those would be my 3 knives. I would hold the knives to check the balance. The knife point shouldn't plunge down when you grip the knife and open your hand. Even a well balanced knife that wont hold a sharpening is better than an unbalanced knife.

I would also consider how you will be sharpening the knives. If you think you there's no need to sharpen knives - just buy any inexpensive knife set that looks nice.

You will need a couple of comfortable to use/sharp paring knives they can be replaced as needed (i like the OXO paring knife)
a comfortable to use peeler (I like the OXO peeler)
and an inexpensive "bread knife".

I have an 8in Wustof Chef's knife (I do not use this - I have little girly hands and it's a little unwieldy for me - when a guy is helping cook - this is the knife they choose. I have an 8 inch santuko that I find more comfortable to use for big things. My "workhorse" knive is a 5 inch santuko - I use this knife every time I cook. I've use a hand held Wustof sharpener.

5. Boning knife. $100

Yes, buy the block and knives individually. I have Wustof and Shun but all quality brands will work well and last forever if you take care of them. I use an 8” chefs knife, 8” carving knife and a serrated bread knife multiple times a week. Add in shears and the honing tool and you should be good. You can add other knives if needed later on.

Only caveat I would add is sometimes you might find a great deal on a set. Meaning you might get the block and all the knives listed above plus a few more for the same price for less than if you bought individually. If that is the case then it would be a good deal.

Also check the models not just the brand. I know Henkel has some lower quality knives that are relatively inexpensive. They are not great. However their high end stuff is very good.
AdmiralSnackbar

Post by AdmiralSnackbar »

100% agree with previous posters about buying separately. I cook a lot, and I have 3 knives in my rotation:

(1) 8" chef's knife (Miyabi Kaizen II) for 90% of tasks
(2) Generic paring knife for 5% of tasks
(3) Cheapo Ikea serrated bread knife for 5% of tasks
__

I chose the Miyabi over a traditional German knife because the balance felt better for me. I've used the comparable Shun model, and the two seem just about the same to me.

I didn't spend a lot on the paring knife. If it's sharpened and honed, it performs just as well as an expensive paring knife. As for the bread knife, I cut a fresh loaf of bread maybe 2-3 times a month, so getting an expensive one didn't make sense to me.

Hope it helps!
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Agree completely. My most used are the paring knives.

I use a bread knife a lot too.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Knife sets are for wedding gifts. Buy a chef's knife and a paring knife, then re-evaluate.

You can learn more than you want to know about the different types of chef's knives at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO35cdWL1MQ
Last edited by adamthesmythe on Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

I've been very happy with this set for close to 10 years, bought all my kids a set as well. Very reasonably priced at $100. I believe I learned about them through Consumer Reports as a best buy.

Ginsu Gourmet Chikara Series Forged 8-Piece Japanese Steel Knife Set

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
sjt

Post by sjt »

A few years back we "invested" in a 3 piece Wusthof Classic knife set. As others have said, the paring and chefs knife get the most use. The middle one (referred to as a Utility knife) doesn't see as much action, but comes in handy for watermelon / cantaloupe.

https://www.amazon.com/W%C3%BCsthof-Thr ... B00005MEGJ

Regarding sharpening, I use the below 1000/4000 combination stone. The knives hold an edge decently, but when they need sharpening, the manual process can be relaxing.

https://www.amazon.com/HornTide-Combina ... ols&sr=1-5
"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale
Afty

Post by Afty »

5. Boning knife. $100

Great advice to prefer buying knives separately. This is also how America's Test Kitchen recommends to do it: https://www.americastestkitchen.com/art ... -knife-set
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

Another vote for individual knives over a set.

I have a horizontal knife organizer that fits in a drawer.

My knives:
  • Top-notch 8" Japanese chefs knife: Mac MTH-80
  • Two cheapo 8" chefs knives from a kitchen supply store, $8 each. Sometimes it's nice to have a few knives on hand.
  • Three paring knives from Victorinox
  • One bread knife, no idea where I got it
  • Oxo kitchen shears and poultry shears
  • Tramontina Brazilian steak knife set (amazon)
  • A few folding Opinel knives. Inexpensive and they look great, I always put these out for cheese boards (link). Since they fold they're also great for picnics, camping, etc.
I highly recommend the Tramontina set. Excellent quality for the price. These are the same knives used by the top steak houses.
Afty

Post by Afty »

I'll add that buying a good electric sharpener has made a huge improvement in the sharpness of my knives. We've had the same knife set since our wedding more than a decade ago. I had them professionally sharpened once, but it's too much of a hassle to do it as often as you should. I tried a manual sharpener but could never get my knives very sharp; I think they were too far gone.

I recently bought the top-rated electric sharpener by ATK and Wirecutter, the Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV, and used it to revive my knives. It's amazing how much sharper they are now! I wish I had spent the money on a good sharpener earlier instead of living with dull knives for so many years.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

czeckers wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:31 am Victorinox (makers of swiss army knives) makes excellent kitchen knives in their fibrox pro line.
Recall ATK (America's Test Kitchen) likes Victorinox, and buying individual knives, not sets.

Search ATK: https://www.google.com/search?&q=Americ ... ded+knives
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

Second on Global knives.

Two options in the $250~ range depending on what's more useful to you as a bonus piece:
A bread knife
https://www.globalcutleryusa.com/5-piec ... k-set.html

Or a sharpening steel
https://www.globalcutleryusa.com/5-piec ... k-set.html

My pick would be on having a good sharpening steel, and buying a cheapo serrated from F Dick to keep in the drawer for bread. But your kitchen needs could well be different depending on what you make.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Another vote for Global.

These days we are using:
G-2 - Classic 8" Chef's Knife - https://www.globalcutleryusa.com/classic-g-2.html
GS-3 - Classic 5" Cook's Knife - https://www.globalcutleryusa.com/classic-gs3.html
GS-7 - Classic 4" Paring Knife - https://www.globalcutleryusa.com/classic-gs7.html
Victorinox 5.2533.21 - Fibrox® Pro Bread Knife - https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Product ... /5.2533.21

I don't have much use for the 5" Cook's Knife but my wife likes it. If we didn't already have a Global Paring Knife I would be happy with a Victorinox (top pick of America's Test Kitchen).

The only knife that I might consider buying in the future would be a boning knife. If I was to buy one it would probably be Victorinox or Dexter-Russell.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

OnBoard wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:20 am Home chefs,

Looking for recommendations on a great quality kitchen knife set.

Budget: <$300

🙏
I took a completely different tact. We have some very expensive German knives that still work great. I found a cheap set of horribly dull knives at a garage sale once and picked them up. I took them home and ran then through my electric knife sharpener and they work just as good as the expensive German knives. The German ones may hold an edge for a slight longer period of time but it is marginally noticeable and not worth the money. Invest in a good electric knife sharpener and just buy whatever cheap knife set or individual knife you want.

My recommendation for a electric knife sharpener
https://www.amazon.com/ChefsChoice-Edge ... B0018RSEMU
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

I'll just buy a set from Costco if you are a member in case you have to return them.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Before we toss brand names around, a reminder that a knife is just a piece of of steel, tapered down to the edge. A more acute edge cuts more easily. It is also more prone to bending and thus losing its sharpness. A harder steel alloy maintain its shape and edge better, but is also more prone to chipping, and more resistant to sharpening.

A knife may have a certain edge set from the factory, but after initial use, its performance is down to how you maintain or re-ground that edge.

Individuals have different ergonomic preferences. My wife prefers small lightweight knives. I prefer larger heavier classic shapes. The popular German brands like Wusthof And Henckels have multiple lines - and most have a very thick bolster or heel that I personally cant stand.

What you should do is go into a nice shop like Wiliam-Sonoma, hold the different knives, simulate chopping and cutting motion and see what you prefer. Also buy a honing steel that you should use regularly to bend the edge into shape. And finally, buy a sharpening device to use once or twice a year, or just take the knife to a professional sharpening service.
tonyclifton

Post by tonyclifton »

We have been happy with the function and unique look of Warther. Using for 12 years. Made in USA since early 1900s. Great backstory...

https://warthercutlery.com/
riots_rus

Post by riots_rus »

We received a $400 3 piece set (chef's knife, slicing, and pairing knife) as a gift. While the quality is good, the blade is thinner than most which does help make slicing easier, the edge feels brittle like it's going to chip if I use it too hard plus it corrodes relatively quickly. Someone above mentioned Victorinox, I much prefer these. Though the blade is a little thicker it's not a huge deal, the steel is very corrosion resistant and honestly sometimes I don't get around to cleaning my knives until the next day so this is important, I've never had one rust. Plus they are cheap so if I really damage it no big deal. I personally use all Victorinox and pull them through a fine belt on my worksharp sharpener every other month to keep the edge, this system I've used for years and am satisfied.
Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit »

czeckers wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:31 am Victorinox (makers of swiss army knives) makes excellent kitchen knives in their fibrox pro line. They are a good value for the money. They hold an edge far longer than any of my other knives. The fibrox handles, though not as pretty as the wooden ones on say, a set of Henckles, are nonslip and give you a good grip. 10-piece set with wooden knife block on Amazon for $250. Make sure you get the pro series.
I only have one Victorinox, I have their butcher knife and really like it. Lighter than most (I feel).
jjface

Post by jjface »

$20 set from Walmart. How much do you need to spend to cut through some veggies lol. What is everyone doing with all these fancy knives?
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

jjface wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:38 pm What is everyone doing with all these fancy knives?
Spending less time sharpening them, enjoying cooking a little more, impress guests.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:27 am
jjface wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:38 pm What is everyone doing with all these fancy knives?
Spending less time sharpening them, enjoying cooking a little more, impress guests.
And we're doing more cutting and less smashing. The common example is a ripe tomato, but I think a better visual example is julienned basil leaves. After cutting with an average knife, in a few minutes the basil will be black, limp, and unappetizing. Many plant cell walls have been smashed, and the contents exposed to oxidation. After cutting with a truly sharp blade the strips will remain green and appealing.

Also, the sharp blade is more predictable, you know how it will cut. The less sharp blade is more steered by the material it's cutting. As far as which is actually safer to use, I think that depends on how one plans to cut oneself. I've been cut by both exquisitely sharp knives and less sharp ones. The dull cuts generally hurt more initially but the sharp cuts can go deep before you know what happened. Best to avoid both.
Last edited by Teague on Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Augustus
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I'm similar. Chef's knife:90% Serrated:6% Boning:2% Paring 2%. If I had only my chef's knife I could probably still cut just about anything pretty well except bread.

I have Wusthof, Henkels and Victorinox.
snailderby

Post by snailderby »

adamthesmythe wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:39 am You can learn more than you want to know about the different types of chef's knives at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO35cdWL1MQ
+1. That video is a great introduction to chef's knives. Do you prefer a thinner or thicker knife? A flatter or rounder blade profile? Softer or harder steel? A heavier or lighter knife? Bolster or no bolster? Personally, I'm a fan of thin, razor-sharp Japanese chef knives. But YMMV.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

We have a set of Wustofs, a knife purchased in Japan from an ancient maker, and a bunch of cheap serrated steak knives from Ikea. We make 95% of our meals at home and my wife puts most restaurants to shame. And yet, we use the Ikea knives about 70% as they work well enough for frequent light duty chores and we can throw them in the dishwasher because we don't care what happens to them. We use the Wustof chef's knife and bread knife (we go through a lot of artisanal bread, fortunate to have a world class baker nearby so YMMV) the second most. The fancy Japanese knife sits because, in my wife's eyes, it's too precious to use.

Agree on just buying a few key knives rather than a set of things you won't need. The Wustofs are very good.

A chef trained family member/food writer/pal of James Beard Award winners/walking culinary encyclopedia uses a mishmash of knives of varying qualities, but kept sharp. She couldn't care a fig for showing off so she just uses what works.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Jacques Pepin uses a Victorinox Fibrox in nearly every "at home" cooking videos, so there's really very little utility in getting a more expensive knife than that one. That said, you can actually buy a worse knife for more money!* :shock: :oops: :beer

*The next "step up" from Victorinox are the options from Wusthof & Henckels, however, the Victorinox is stamped, so to get as thin a blade you'd have to choose one of the two's stamped offerings, which are more or less of equal quality, fit & finish. Global would be the next step up in terms of thin blades. Past that, you get into the weeds.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:36 pm. Past that, you get into the weeds.
Isn’t that the very definition of Bogleheads?
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Bogle7 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:34 pm
Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:36 pm. Past that, you get into the weeds.
Isn’t that the very definition of Bogleheads?
😂

Well, yes, but whole forums are dedicated to kitchen knife options. Lol
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

Don't buy a set, they're filled with filler knives, assemble your own.

Victorinox Fibrox is highly rated and very affordable options (typically under $50). Price goes way up from there.
Stanczyk

Post by Stanczyk »

Once you go Victorinox, you will never go back. I have a set of Victorinox fibrox as well as a single $300 Santoku and the 'Victors' are so much better. I am not exaggerating - these knives are the best kitchen-related purchase I have ever made in my entire life.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

I've used a Case set that I bought from ACE hardware in the early '70s. Folks that supposedly know knives say "...it's not great, you'd be happier with something better."

After a prior kitchen-knife topic, researched "how to find good knives, cheap".

So made a list of recommended knives and started searching thrift stores.

Eventually found a $2 Gerber 8" kitchen knife (1402, high carbon stainless steel). It does work better than the 8" Case.

Since I've never been good at sharpening knives, I eventually made a clone of a Lansky knife sharpening system.

Turns out, if you put a better edge on the Case set, it works much better. And the Gerber too.

But my biggest time saver on prepping a pot of veggies came from switching to baby carrots and baby potatoes; don't have to cut those up.

So my veggie prep time savers are:
--Use a sharp knife.
--Use a better knife.
--Use veggies that don't need to be cut up.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
Afty

Post by Afty »

If I were putting together a knife set from scratch right now, I would go Victorinox Fibrox wherever possible and would also splurge on a Chef's Choice Trizor XV sharpener. I would buy an 8-inch chef's knife, a 3-4-inch paring knife, a 6-inch utility knife, a honing rod, and a set of steak knives.

I went down the rabbit hole on kitchen knives recently. Now my YouTube feed is filled with knife enthusiast videos. My wife thinks this is hilarious. :mrgreen:
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Literally never sharpened a knife in my life. Our $30 WalMart set going on ~10yrs. When it stops cutting well, I'll toss them and buy a new set. When it comes to kitchenware, I buy the cheapest thing that I think will do the job. Pretty sure I have never been disappointed.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:21 pm
Literally never sharpened a knife in my life. Our $30 WalMart set going on ~10yrs. When it stops cutting well, I'll toss them and buy a new set. When it comes to kitchenware, I buy the cheapest thing that I think will do the job. Pretty sure I have never been disappointed.
I'm not going to tell you how to live your life. Whatever works for you :beer