My dog barks when I'm not home- solutions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

My dog barks when I'm not home- solutions?

Post by Kennedy »

I have a large dog who spends most days home with me inside. She uses a doggy door at will when I'm home and she wants to go out. If she barks when I'm home, I call her inside promptly.

I was gone for most of the day recently and came home to see a note on the door from a neighbor stating my dog had been barking most of the day. Of course, I was mortified and started looking for solutions online. I see recommendations for handheld sonic anti-barking devices, which one was unsuccessful with her in the past. There are also shock collars, which seem wrong, but maybe it's effective without really hurting? There's also vocal cord removal surgery, which seems drastic as well.

My backyard is small and backs up to a natural area where critters (squirrels, coyotes, etc.) roam behind my solid fence. This is what she barks at primarily in addition to the occasional dog/person she hears walking by on the front sidewalk.

Keeping her inside with doggy door closed while I'm gone for many hours has been an issue in the past because she will pee/poop in the house on rare occasions if she doesn't have her backyard to use. She has never (and would never) pee/poop in the house except for in a last resort. I've seen the doggy inside "pee pads" but I can't imagine she would use that to contain her large amounts of poop. (She's a big girl...)

Re-homing her would be my last option.

Obviously, this issue must be solved as it's very unfair if she disturbs a neighbor. Any suggestions on devices/solutions I could try?
BV3273

Re: My dog barks when I'm not home- solutions?

Post by BV3273 »

How about a toy with a treat inside to keep her entertained? Also, maybe leave the radio on or the TV. That’s what we do with my dog. Also, if it’s an anxiety issue maybe get a thunder shirt.
J295

Post by J295 »

Indoor crate.
Deblog

Post by Deblog »

You can train your dog to wait longer to go to the bathroom. We have 2 golden retrievers and they went 9 hours and if something came up-11 hours without going in the house. Letting your dog have freedom to go out whenever they want has trained them they do not need to hold it. We never take our dogs out in the middle of the night but have friends that the dog gets them up every night. They basically have trained the dog that they will go out then. Not sure how easy it is to untrain yours depending how long this has been the norm.

Maybe close the door even when home and slowly stretch the time between relieving themselves? Hire someone to come midday to let it out?
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

I have used a bark collar with a previous dog in the past (mild shock for a short period time for training) and it was effective.

I have had mixed results with the ultrasonic devices. I do have a hand-held one but you can't use if you aren't home. I think there are newer options on the market since I've done the research e.g. devices that go off if your dog barks and you aren't home.

The other option is to take your dog to "doggy daycare" which is a budget line item but could be one solution if your dog keeps barking.

The other consideration is getting a dog walker. Some dogs that bark in my area are not getting enough exercise. That could calm them down.

I've also heard they make bark collars that vibrate vs. "shock".

A dog crate could help. Some dogs bark inside a crate. I know my dog (rescue) was afraid of it so he was never crate trained but I didn't have any issues e.g. barking.

Good luck!
delamer

Post by delamer »

Our neighbor has a new dog who she is training to not bark with treats and non-punitive methods. Why not try a dog trainer?

As someone who finds the sound of barking dogs really annoying, I appreciate your consideration of your neighbors.
Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

J295 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:09 amIndoor crate.
I tried this before installing the doggy door. She is generally totally fine with using her crate. However, there was one event when she was in the crate for several hours while I was gone. When I came home there was poop all over the inside of her crate. She had tried to get out of the crate so hard (presumably when she had to poop) that she bent the metal bars trying to escape.

It was terribly sad that she was that desperate to not poop in her crate that I considered it a disaster and never left her in there for extended periods of time again.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

I recently used a bark collar a couple of times and it worked. I think my dog only received one shock during the few times the energized collar was used.

I then removed the battery and when I put the collar on my dog she doesn't bark. She definitely understands the collar, because she tries to run away when she sees me ready with it. Seems that the memory of the shock is now enough to keep her from barking. I don't know how long before she figures it out and I need to insert the battery for another round.

In case your wondering, when I walk her without the collar on she continues to bark as before. With the collar in place there's no barking.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Get a bark collar. It sends a shock if they bark. We used to live in an apartment and used it on our dog. Only took him around 2 shocks to stop barking. He is a boston terrier so he's really smart. Dogs learn quick.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

What's worse? A slight annoying shock to the dog, vocal cord removal, angry neighbors, or re homing the pet?

I think the answer is obvious.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

If you are gone more than 8 hours, arrange for someone to come over and let your dog out. There is a limit to how long a dog can physically "hold it."
The rescue groups with which I worked had a limit of 9 hours for a dog to be left alone to consider approving an adoption.
One other thought: dog doors can create a hazard for your dog, if there is access to the backyard someone could enter when you are not home and take the dog or possibly an animal could also gain access.
I've used the Dogtra electronic collars for years. If you are trained properly in their use, they work, but only if you have the transmitter and are present to use it as necessary.

Good luck!

Post by 000 »

I don't see the problem. Dogs are supposed to bark. Don't punish them for barking, that's their job.

Unless it rises to the level of a noise ordinance, I would just ignore the neighbor.
FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish »

I applaud you for searching for solutions. We contemplated a bark collar but decided against it. I personally don't find it cruel, but I popped in two different stores to inquire and got opposite reactions. Store A looked at me like I was terrible for even asking about it. Store B got real excited and the employees bragged about how they test the collars on themselves!

Somebody mentioned doggy daycare which can be ok. However, I prefer Rover sitters (www.rover.com) because there are fewer dogs. You mentioned pee pads. I'm surprised there aren't large sizes available. You can put some plastic down beneath the pad.
rh00p

Post by rh00p »

Look into a hired dog walker. Most dogs need a few miles of exercise per day. Everyday. This is why most people shouldn't get dogs in the first place. Being locked up in the same yard is no different than being locked up indoors. If it wasn't you wouldn't have complaints. A walk takes the place of wandering in search of food and territory when your dog was once wild and part of a pack. GL.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.
retired recently

Post by retired recently »

000 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:56 am I don't see the problem. Dogs are supposed to bark. Don't punish them for barking, that's their job.

Unless it rises to the level of a noise ordinance, I would just ignore the neighbor.
Wow...what a nice considerate neighbor you must be...
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

000 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:56 am I don't see the problem. Dogs are supposed to bark. Don't punish them for barking, that's their job.

Many cities have laws against barking dogs. Our neighborhood has had several visits over the years from both animal control and police for dog-related noise violations.
modest_man

Post by modest_man »

From a veterinary perspective, this sounds like separation anxiety. I'd schedule an appointment with your veterinarian for a physical exam, blood work, and behavioral modification strategies to help quell the behavior. Long and short-term medications can help as well.

The use of bark collars is no longer recommended; studies have shown their use increases Cortisol levels.

Any further discussion should occur between you and your veterinarian. If you find your vet's recommendations unsatisfactory, then I'd advise a consult with a board-certified veterinary behaviorist. Please note that this in an individual who carries a veterinary degree and board certification in animal behavior. Several non-DVM individuals call themselves behaviorists - I'd advise staying away from them.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Maybe getting a second dog would help, if she's lonely.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

neilpilot wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:27 am I recently used a bark collar a couple of times and it worked. I think my dog only received one shock during the few times the energized collar was used.

I then removed the battery and when I put the collar on my dog she doesn't bark. She definitely understands the collar, because she tries to run away when she sees me ready with it. Seems that the memory of the shock is now enough to keep her from barking. I don't know how long before she figures it out and I need to insert the battery for another round.

In case your wondering, when I walk her without the collar on she continues to bark as before. With the collar in place there's no barking.
This would be my initial approach. Disclosure: I have never used a bark collar.

If that doesn't work, I would explore the vocal cord surgery. Years ago I had a Great Dane who barked only when I was not home, so it was very difficult for me to deal with; that seems to be the case for OP as well. I was unaware of bark collars--if they even existed then. My vet recommended clipping his vocal cords which he said would be extremely safe and simple with such a large dog, so that is what we did.

My dog still "barked", but it was only a very exaggerated whisper-like sound. His behavior was not changed at all, but it solved the problem for my neighbors. I would have had it done years earlier if only I had known even though I never received complaints previously.

Post by 000 »

retired recently wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:25 pm

If you choose to live in a city near other people, you accept the noises of the city. Or, close your windows and put on some music.

It sounds like a few hours of barking on a single day caused this neighbor to leave a note.

Anyway, I agree with others upthread regarding loneliness, anxiety, walks, etc. Removing the dog's ability to bark won't fix those things, and some research suggests it may worsen it because the dog no longer feels it can alert "the pack" leading to more anxiety.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

+1 to discussing the situation with your vet and arranging for a couple visits a day by a dog sitter who can walk your dog. Consider also installing home cameras so you can monitor the barking remotely.

Kudos to you for being a caring dog owner and neighbor.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Luckywon wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:29 pm Maybe getting a second dog would help, if she's lonely.
More likely you'll have two barking dogs imo.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

000 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:43 pm It sounds like a few hours of barking on a single day caused this neighbor to leave a note.
When I've had loud barking dogs as neighbors, their owners tended to profoundly underestimate the noise and disruption to everyone else when they are away. I very much appreciate OP's desire to solve the problem.

Marylander1
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Marylander1 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:58 pm
000 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:43 pm It sounds like a few hours of barking on a single day caused this neighbor to leave a note.
When I've had loud barking dogs as neighbors, their owners tended to profoundly underestimate the noise and disruption to everyone else when they are away. I very much appreciate OP's desire to solve the problem.

Marylander1
That was my situation when I had the barking Great Dane I mentioned upthread. I had no idea he barked when I was not home until I moved into a house on a golf course and I could hear him barking while I was playing golf. I was shocked that no neighbors had ever mentioned it. I still find it odd.
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

One of our dogs wears a bark collar. It works great and took him only a minute or two to figure out. He's smart enough to know when it's on though so we put it on every morning. The kind we have makes a noise before a slight shock and I think he's only been shocked once or twice in the years he's had it.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

+1
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

BV3273 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:07 am How about a toy with a treat inside to keep her entertained? Also, maybe leave the radio on or the TV. That’s what we do with my dog. Also, if it’s an anxiety issue maybe get a thunder shirt.
A toy with a treat inside will last 15 minutes. Those thunder shirts may be worth a try.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

Will do good wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:17 pm

+1
+1
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

What problem are you trying to solve? Making sure your dog is safe/happy or assuring you aren't upsetting your neighbors?
If the latter - Do you share a wall with the neighbor? Were you bothering the neighbor or was (perhaps) the neighbor just concerned about the dog?

Post by 000 »

Marylander1 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:58 pm

Marylander1
Perhaps I have misunderstood the situation. Signing off from this thread.

Good luck, OP.
sandramjet

Post by sandramjet »

In the past we used a bark collar that doesn't shock but gives a quick spray of citronella. Worked like a charm. However if the barking is a chronic issue I'd look for underlying cause(e.g. separation anxiety, etc)
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Just remember, an entire apartment wing can become a nightmare for all tenants with one single barking dog. Dont be a bad pet owner...get it under control immediately.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Trade it in for a cat?
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
modest_man

Post by modest_man »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:42 pm
neilpilot wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:27 am I recently used a bark collar a couple of times and it worked. I think my dog only received one shock during the few times the energized collar was used.

This would be my initial approach. Disclosure: I have never used a bark collar.

If that doesn't work, I would explore the vocal cord surgery. Years ago I had a Great Dane who barked only when I was not home, so it was very difficult for me to deal with; that seems to be the case for OP as well. I was unaware of bark collars--if they even existed then. My vet recommended clipping his vocal cords which he said would be extremely safe and simple with such a large dog, so that is what we did.

My dog still "barked", but it was only a very exaggerated whisper-like sound. His behavior was not changed at all, but it solved the problem for my neighbors. I would have had it done years earlier if only I had known even though I never received complaints previously.
The American Veterinary Medical Association revised it's policy on debarking procedures in 2018:

"Canine devocalization should only be performed by qualified, licensed veterinarians as a final alternative to euthanasia after behavioral modification to correct excessive vocalization has failed and after discussion of potential complications from the procedure with the owner."

If the barking is due to underlying anxiety, then the procedure does absolutely nothing to address that. In addition, it's associated with a high rate of complications.

More can be found at the following link: https://www.avma.org/resources-tools/li ... calization, specifically the organizations that oppose debarking:

"...many veterinary organizations including the American Animal Hospital Association and the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association oppose non-therapeutic devocalization of dogs except after behavioral modifications and management methods have failed and as a final alternative to relinquishment or euthanasia. Under the United Kingdom’s Animal Welfare Act (2006), "carrying out of a procedure which involves interference with the sensitive tissues or bone structure of the animal, otherwise than for the purpose of its medical treatment” is an offense. The European Convention for the Protection of Pet Animals lists devocalization under the list of surgical operations that "for the purpose of modifying the appearance of a pet animal or for other non-curative purposes shall be prohibited."

The British Veterinary Association Animal Welfare Foundation (BVAAWF)/Fund for the Replacement of Animals in Medical Experiments (FRAME)/Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA)/Universities Federation for Animal Welfare (UFAW) Joint Working Group on Refinement (dog husbandry and care) view debarking as unacceptable and describe many other ways to reduce noise in kennels."
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

This is really bad advice.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

A shock collar can be effective, but you really need to be trained how to use it, and it should be used rarely, sparingly, and correctly - concurrent with the problem behavior. People may think it is inhumane, but it is better than the alternatives.

I can't speak for a bark collar.

As to crates, they really need to be crate trained, and also need to have a feeding drinking - poo - pee schedule that reduces the possibility of accidents in crate. I'd probably start with a few hours an over time extend duration. Get a friend of a hire a pet sitter to come relieve ber/him.

Reinforce crates weak points with zip ties.
Last edited by JBTX on Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparksfly

Post by sparksfly »

Wow...Shock collars, Vocal cord removal, inside a crate for several hours every day!!! Re-home it...somewhere none of these options are on the table.
BedHead2020

Post by BedHead2020 »

I echo the suggestions that finding the root cause of the barking is the best place to start. Is the dog lonely? More toys? Maybe leave Animal Planet on for him? (Our dogs LOVE the live action "Lion King" and sit mesmerized and watch it.) Possibly a second dog so that the two of them can play during the day?
Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

OP here. The dog doesn't have separation anxiety, and nor is she an anxious dog in general. Fireworks? Thunder? Bring it on. She naps through it.

I think her main issue is that she is territorial and barks at the fence line when she smells/hears squirrels, coyotes and other critters on the other side of the fence.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

JBTX wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:45 pm

This is really bad advice.
+1
KESP

Post by KESP »

Do you have access to doggie daycare in your area? Might be worth it.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

A major reason for nuisance barking is that the dog is bored, anxious, or neglected. Maybe hire a dog jester.

Post by 123 »

Maybe she needs a he or another dog for companionship.

Do you have cable/satellite/pay TV? Has anyone had any success with Dog TV https://www.dogtv.com/ ?

Edited to add:
Looks like it's also available by streaming. Perhaps its time to get her a phone/tablet?
Last edited by 123 on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I love dogs, but a continuous barking dog is a big nuisance. It's good to hear that you want to remedy the problem.

Maybe some vigorous morning exercise would work. A shock collar is probably easiest. Maybe some Benadryl would help?

Or just potty train the dog so it can stay inside.

At least the dog isn't barking at night keeping people awake.
playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat »

I’d do an indoor crate. Understand you had some issues with it once.. been there before. Have had plenty of times when I came home and the crate was covered with “stuff”. Part of being a dog owner unfortunately.
Ignore those who say “re-home” it so it can run freely etc - I guess no one outside of the Midwest with a few acres of land should have a dog!

I also think dogs should be allowed to bark to some extent.

How about setting up an indoor camera so you can get his/her attention when needed?
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

sparksfly wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:55 pm Wow...Shock collars, Vocal cord removal, inside a crate for several hours every day!!! Re-home it...somewhere none of these options are on the table.
I'm also surprised by suggestion of vocal cord removal. Our last dog had her *ears* cut off by somebody (not cropped, off) so people cut all kinds of stuff on dogs (that was to make her look like even more of a badass presumably, fortunately she didn't hold it against humankind). I knew there were shock collars generally but not for barking. The first would be totally out of the question for me, second I'm not sure, though other poster vet says neither is recommended. Crate training is pretty standard though. Our daughter's dog is in her crate when daughter is at work; when the dog 'vacations' with us as currently we let her lounge around the TV room like our previous dogs, but we're usually around, exercise is on walks. Our first dog, Beagle-like, barked sometimes but the walls are thick (next door neighbor's dog's indoor barking never bothered us, could barely hear it). The second dog rarely barked at all, almost never in the house, daughter's dog is nearly as quiet, both girl 'pit bulls'.
TheLaughingCow

Post by TheLaughingCow »

sparksfly wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:55 pm Wow...Shock collars, Vocal cord removal, inside a crate for several hours every day!!! Re-home it...somewhere none of these options are on the table.
Most dogs don't view their crate as a prison but rather as a safe space. They are den animals. Don't assume that an animal has the same wants and needs as a human.

As for the vocal cord surgery, I have had a dog with dementia which would whine loudly all night (though it otherwise had a good quality of life). The noise was similar to that of a crying child or perhaps an animal being tortured and was difficult to sleep through. Needless to say it would have been impossible to re-home this dog. So while I do view the vocal cord surgery as cruel, I can empathize with people who resort to it instead of euthanizing their dog.

Fortunately in my case it was not necessary to perform the surgery but I was seriously considering it at one point.
Last edited by TheLaughingCow on Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

Kennedy wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:03 am I have a large dog who spends most days home with me inside. She uses a doggy door at will when I'm home and she wants to go out. If she barks when I'm home, I call her inside promptly.

I was gone for most of the day recently and came home to see a note on the door from a neighbor stating my dog had been barking most of the day. Of course, I was mortified and started looking for solutions online. I see recommendations for handheld sonic anti-barking devices, which one was unsuccessful with her in the past. There are also shock collars, which seem wrong, but maybe it's effective without really hurting? There's also vocal cord removal surgery, which seems drastic as well.

My backyard is small and backs up to a natural area where critters (squirrels, coyotes, etc.) roam behind my solid fence. This is what she barks at primarily in addition to the occasional dog/person she hears walking by on the front sidewalk.

Keeping her inside with doggy door closed while I'm gone for many hours has been an issue in the past because she will pee/poop in the house on rare occasions if she doesn't have her backyard to use. She has never (and would never) pee/poop in the house except for in a last resort. I've seen the doggy inside "pee pads" but I can't imagine she would use that to contain her large amounts of poop. (She's a big girl...)

Re-homing her would be my last option.

Obviously, this issue must be solved as it's very unfair if she disturbs a neighbor. Any suggestions on devices/solutions I could try?
There is only ONE logical solution here: buy a Tesla (um, hello dog mode) and take it everywhere with you.
Last edited by Monsterflockster on Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
lgs88

Post by lgs88 »

Kennedy wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:03 am ...There are also shock collars, which seem wrong, but maybe it's effective without really hurting? ...
The use of a shock collar is most justifiable in the context of ensuring the dog's safety. I only use mine when I'm hiking in areas with bears -- and very occasionally in other contexts, to keep him familiar with how it works when I'm going a long time between hikes.

See if you can address what's causing the dog's anxiety. Then, give the bark collar a try.

lgs88

EDIT: The poster above me is on the right track. Your dog wants to be with you. Get a job that allows it. I bet you'll both be happier!
merely an interested amateur
Cactuscoug

Post by Cactuscoug »

Yeah, and my Led Zeppelin album is supposed to be played LOUD. Perhaps a 3:00am rock concert is the solution.