Home Printer/Scanner

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tj

Home Printer/Scanner

Post by tj »

Does anyone have any recommendations for a home printer/scanner ?

Ideally something that can scan more than 1 page at a time vs. the flat bed glass scanners where you are doing one at a time.

When I want to print something, I usually just put files on a USB drive and take them to OfficeMax, but I think it would be convenient to have something at home....
yangtui

Re: Home Printer/Scanner

Post by yangtui »

if this is for casual scanning/printing then any of the cheap, highly rated, all-in-ones that Amazon has should be sufficient.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I have found nothing better than a ScanSnap with a separate Black and White Laser Printer.

Main reason is physical size. The Brother/Canon laser MFDs are behemoths.
If you are willing to buy an inkjet all-in-one, MFD you might find something a little smaller.

Then the ScanSnap is just very good at what it does (scanning both sides of 5-10 pages of paper, accepting various sizes of paper with no difficulties)
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I'd buy an all-in-one with an automatic document feeder (ADF), if needed with auto duplex scan.

The advantage is it'll take up less space and be much cheaper than two separate devices, and you'll have both an ADF and flatbed, unlike say a SnapScan.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Must be printer buying season, I think that is 3 posts started today, alone :)

I love our 10+ year old Canon RF4350D BW laser all in-one.
Topic Author
tj

Post by tj »

runner3081 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:15 pm Must be printer buying season, I think that is 3 posts started today, alone :)

That's pretty awesome that it has lasted 10 years. My last few printers, it was cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy the inkjet cartridge for it, which just seemed silly. I had some issues with them not lasting very long and I just gave up.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

runner3081 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:15 pm Must be printer buying season, I think that is 3 posts started today, alone :)

Now's a pretty bad time for buying a printer ... prices are much higher than before the pandemic, and many models are sold out altogether.
wander

Post by wander »

The best I have is HP LaserJet Pro M283 M283fdn Laser Multifunction Printer. In my opinion, it is very easy to setup, reliable, nice quality. I scanned every document I have to a network folder.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Brother MFC.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

tj wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:17 pm

That's pretty awesome that it has lasted 10 years. My last few printers, it was cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy the inkjet cartridge for it, which just seemed silly. I had some issues with them not lasting very long and I just gave up.
2-3 toners over that many years, less than $15 each.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Had a Brother all-in-one color printer for about 5 years. Black ink stopped working. Just bought a Brother monochrome laser (don't need color) printer/scanner/copier.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I've been happy with my Brother multi-function B&W laser printer for many years now. It has a sheet feeder that can be used to make copies, but I have rarely tried it. If I'm copying multiple pages, I just use the flat-bed feature.

I have been unable to download the appropriate printer driver to my new AIO desktop PC, so I am still printing from the old PC (slipper-netting with a thumb drive), but I will probably eventually replace it with a newer Brother model. (Frugal Boglehead that I am, I see no reason to ditch the old one too quickly because I only recently replaced the toner cartridge.)
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

tj wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:01 pm Does anyone have any recommendations for a home printer/scanner ?

Ideally something that can scan more than 1 page at a time vs. the flat bed glass scanners where you are doing one at a time.

When I want to print something, I usually just put files on a USB drive and take them to OfficeMax, but I think it would be convenient to have something at home....
I recently learned how to scan on my new iPhone and have no need for any separate scanner.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
tj

Post by tj »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:29 pm
tj wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:01 pm Does anyone have any recommendations for a home printer/scanner ?

I recently learned how to scan on my new iPhone and have no need for any separate scanner.
You just take photos of everything?
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

tj wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:40 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:29 pm

You just take photos of everything?
There is a new scan feature on the iPhone and of course the kids taught us. It actually tuned out really good. We no longer use the scanner on the laser printer.
softmax

Post by softmax »

Brother all in one BW laser.
I got one from Amazon at $150.

Earlier I got a similarly priced Canon but the printing quality wasn’t even close to Brother so I returned.
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

I use an old Brother MFC. I connected it to a desktop via USB and a program for air print.
The ADF is good but sometimes the paper is tilted.
rockstar wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:57 pm Brother MFC.
dominque

Post by dominque »

I recently purchased a Brother DCP-L2550DW black only laser. I was attracted to the ADF and the ability to automatically print on both sides of the page (long flip for me). Very well pleased with it.

https://www.brother-usa.com/products/dcpl2550dw
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

What is everyone printing?

We only print to paper when a wet signature is required. With DocuSign that is pretty rare, like only for notarization.

We, too, scan with the iPhone.

“To try out Apple’s built-in scanner for yourself, open Notes. Inside of any note, hit the + symbol above the keyboard. The menu that comes up will offer a few options — this is also the tool you’d use to add a photo or sketch to your note — but the “Scan Document” option is the one you want.“
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Unlike some of the above posters, I use the printer/scanner fairly regularly. I use Canon MG3260 and it's great! Has good multi-platform support (Mac, Windows, Linux), and uses the home wifi so you don't plug it in. It's probably 5 years old now, so I'm sure the newer models are even better, or at least more up-to-date.
He/him/his
RJC

Post by RJC »

We just purchased a Brother Monochrome All-In-One Laser and are happy with it. It has autofeed for scanning and wireless printing is convenient.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Another vote for a brother all-in-one laser printer. I have had a wifi model with duplex printing for around 7 years, still works great. Toner is pretty cheap and you can get a ton of printing out of it.

They sell models with a sheet feeder and duplex scanning.
Topic Author
tj

Post by tj »

snackdog wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:20 am What is everyone printing?

We only print to paper when a wet signature is required. With DocuSign that is pretty rare, like only for notarization.

We, too, scan with the iPhone.

“To try out Apple’s built-in scanner for yourself, open Notes. Inside of any note, hit the + symbol above the keyboard. The menu that comes up will offer a few options — this is also the tool you’d use to add a photo or sketch to your note — but the “Scan Document” option is the one you want.“
I wonder if android had this feature? It seems like it would be more convenient to have a be printer / scanner but might be doable.

I don't print very often but saving a trip to officemax would be more convenient
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

The Wirecutter has several recommendations: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... ning-apps/
This may seem shocking, but unless you’re an accountant or archivist, you probably don’t need a traditional scanner—today’s smartphone scanning apps are simply that good. After spending more than 35 hours researching 20 scanning apps and testing seven of them, we’ve determined that our favorite is the lean and efficient Adobe Scan (for Android and iOS).
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

gtd98765 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:15 am The Wirecutter has several recommendations: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... ning-apps/
This may seem shocking, but unless you’re an accountant or archivist, you probably don’t need a traditional scanner—today’s smartphone scanning apps are simply that good. After spending more than 35 hours researching 20 scanning apps and testing seven of them, we’ve determined that our favorite is the lean and efficient Adobe Scan (for Android and iOS).
Since I (and work) are in the O365 domain, Office Lens works great. Saves to OneDrive nicely. I've guided our users towards in for a quick "scan" of a doc or two.
Topic Author
tj

Post by tj »

gtd98765 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:15 am The Wirecutter has several recommendations: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... ning-apps/
Thanks! I'll give that one a try.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

avoid any inkjet product IMO. Ink can dry out, then replacements are $$$ (my personal experience). Also they get clogged. PITA

Can buy a simple b/w laser printer for $100

Don't need a new Iphone to scan, there are dozens (100s?) of free scanning apps - I use one on Android. If the info is sensitive may need to upgrade the app in some form so you can port the scanned document where you wish in the manner you wish.

If you are scanning 100s of pages a day for work, the phone scan app approach may not be optimal.
vasaver

Post by vasaver »

If you want to scan mountains of double sided papers here is one of the better solutions. It can scan directly to the cloud (my understanding is no need to a pc or local computer).

ScanSnap iX1500 on sale for $340

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J3DB57C/re ... NFb463H216
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

wander wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:50 pm The best I have is HP LaserJet Pro M283 M283fdn Laser Multifunction Printer. In my opinion, it is very easy to setup, reliable, nice quality. I scanned every document I have to a network folder.
I have to check but I think this is our printer as well. It works very well.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

F150HD wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:29 am avoid any inkjet product IMO. Ink can dry out, then replacements are $$$ (my personal experience). Also they get clogged. PITA

Can buy a simple b/w laser printer for $100

Don't need a new Iphone to scan, there are dozens (100s?) of free scanning apps - I use one on Android. If the info is sensitive may need to upgrade the app in some form so you can port the scanned document where you wish in the manner you wish.

If you are scanning 100s of pages a day for work, the phone scan app approach may not be optimal.
That is a very good point and I experienced that as well. Our overall volume of printing has declined. As a result, the ink for an old ink jet printer just dried up.
spin_echo

Post by spin_echo »

Turboscan app is pretty good for scanning also. Don't have any recommendations for printers - the few times I need to print things out I do it at work.
stormswami

Post by stormswami »

We love our Brother MFC-L8900CDW. It's available for around $530. Many great features that are probably overkill for a lot of people, but for one, I "need" the duplex scanning etc. for various projects. It has become a workhorse with at-home schooling in COVID era.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

What are the differences between these two SnapScan IX1500 models?

IX1500 Current Model, 2018 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J3DB57C
IX1500 2020 Model https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086GBVC26
lgb

Post by lgb »

Agree on the recommendation of the ScanSnap (ix500 have used for years now - just sits there and works), if you're doing a lot of documents that you need to dump to your laptop or PC or out on the Cloud somewhere. The talk above of the iPhone and Android phone scanning apps are something I've not used, but certainly could see that replacing the need for a physical box like a ScanSnap if you're fine with manipulating the paperwork and a bit more manual effort if not just using the default file name.

Also agree with all the comments about Laser Jet Printers vs. anything else sitting at the stores presently... (in my opinion) Laser Jets just seemed to work and spew out paper forever before needing more ink. We have one that we've used for certainly 15 years - if it dies, I will scour the earth to find a used one of the same.

The present 'stuff' available is just heavy on 'you can have the printer' I'll see ya in a few weeks for the fill-up of ink... I also had many many problems with Brother printer(s) just losing their IP address so every single time you'd go to use it it would be offline and quite cumbersome to get it to reconnect. Maybe I was using a poor low end model. Switched to an HP Printer in one instance - problem has never occurred.