removed

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ram

Re: Heat - What do you set your temps to in Winter?

Post by ram »

Current location: Upper midwest. Summer high: 80, winter lows: -20
Setting: Day:70, Night 55

Prior location: Desert, west Asia.
Summer highs: 120-125.
Winter nighttime lows: 35.

Setting: 77 (25 Celsius all 24 hours.)
Ram
BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh »

I just use that golden thermostat in the sky.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

marcwd wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:08 pm
d0gerz wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:05 pm 67 when we're home, which is all the time these days.

For those setting to lower temp at night, how does that work. Don't you wake up freezing (because body temp drops when you sleep, and presumably everyone here sleeps at night)?
Here’s how it works. I’ve been setting the thermostat for 65-67 during the day and evening. And I turn it down to 50 at night. So the the indoor air temperature drifts down overnight to no lower than maybe the upper- or mid-fifties by morning, depending, of course, on the outside temperature.

My thermostat is programmable and I can set it such that the house is warming up by morning. But in the spring and fall, I generally just turn the thermostat up manually when I get up. And, mind you, I have steam heat, which is relatively slow to start heating the air from a cold start.

I think it’s utterly unnecessary and a waste of energy to heat a whole house full of living space when I’m not using it. That is, when I’m in bed with as many covers as I need to be comfortable. And I sleep much better in a cool room.

When I was working and there was no one in the house during the day for many hours, the thermostat was down at 50 deg. And, no, it doesn’t less energy to maintain a constant temperature than to adjust the thermostat as needed.
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. I think I'm ready to try lowering the temp at night. I'm not sure if my thermostat is programmable so will have to check.

Convincing the spouse might take some work though.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Night: 68*
Day/Evening: 71*

Daytime temp is subject to adjustment if we get too hot or too cold. Adjustment is made to the point of minimum disagreement.
Nighttime setting is set it and forget it.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Winter 68

Summer 74

Found out that doing the winter 68/64 day night thingy didn't move the needle much on consumption.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Day - 70/71. Main floor goes down to 67 at night.
Night - 70/71 - depending on what the spouse says.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

d0gerz wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:47 pm
marcwd wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:08 pm
d0gerz wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:05 pm 67 when we're home, which is all the time these days.

For those setting to lower temp at night, how does that work. Don't you wake up freezing (because body temp drops when you sleep, and presumably everyone here sleeps at night)?
Here’s how it works. I’ve been setting the thermostat for 65-67 during the day and evening. And I turn it down to 50 at night. So the the indoor air temperature drifts down overnight to no lower than maybe the upper- or mid-fifties by morning, depending, of course, on the outside temperature.

My thermostat is programmable and I can set it such that the house is warming up by morning. But in the spring and fall, I generally just turn the thermostat up manually when I get up. And, mind you, I have steam heat, which is relatively slow to start heating the air from a cold start.

I think it’s utterly unnecessary and a waste of energy to heat a whole house full of living space when I’m not using it. That is, when I’m in bed with as many covers as I need to be comfortable. And I sleep much better in a cool room.

When I was working and there was no one in the house during the day for many hours, the thermostat was down at 50 deg. And, no, it doesn’t less energy to maintain a constant temperature than to adjust the thermostat as needed.
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. I think I'm ready to try lowering the temp at night. I'm not sure if my thermostat is programmable so will have to check.

Convincing the spouse might take some work though.
Just FYI, programmable thermostats are generally easy to install and often available heavily discounted through utility companies.
Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet »

New England.

First floor 67 during day, 62 at night. Oil boiler

Second floor 62-64 24/7 with ductless minisplit.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

66°F day, 60°F night (19°C day, 16°C night).
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Tamarack

Post by Tamarack »

Upper Midwest
65/63 (some years we’ve had a nighttime set point of 60)
We wear hats to bed, have an ultra warm down comforter, and we warm up the bed before getting in with home made bed warmers (fabric bags filled with dried corn that we microwave for a few minutes). The bed warmers will radiate warmth for about 45 minutes or so.
Candor

Post by Candor »

74-75 during the day and 72 at night. I enjoy sleeping in the cool but I have grown to dislike getting up early in the morning when the house is cold. I also like to wear shorts and a t-shirt or a light long sleeve shirt while at home so anything cooler and it gets uncomfortable.
Time is your friend, impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle
miyaraj354

Post by miyaraj354 »

I am seeing some really low numbers posted here...low 60s and high 50s in some cases. Are you all using space heaters as well with the thermostats set so low?
jucor

Post by jucor »

63 daytime when home (means it will usually be 65 upstairs where we spend most of our time), 50 (effectively off except during coldest period) at night. In cold midwest. Down duvets, flannel sheets. Programmable thermostat so it warms up before we get up. Timed bathroom under floor ceramic tile heat makes morning and night ablutions cozy. We wear wool slippers and fleece. We enjoy not paying the gas company. ;)

In pre-COVID world we turn it up to 69 when folks come over.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:37 pm 66°F day, 60°F night (19°C day, 16°C night).
Cmon. Nisiprius. It’s a Friday night. Crank that baby up to 61 and live a little!
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Chrono Triggered

Post by Chrono Triggered »

I don't use the heater. I like living in an igloo. I currently live in NC but used to live in MN.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

We live in an older house with several thermostats in Wisconsin. Anyway, probably run somewhere from 65-68 most of the time.

Oh you asked night, too. Probably 62-63 overnight.
He/him/his
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Programmable thermostat! The furnace starts before I actually wake up.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

Chrono Triggered wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:37 pm I don't use the heater. I like living in an igloo. I currently live in NC but used to live in MN.
LOL!

Daughter lives in a higher valley in central Montana. SIL does heating/ac. The valley has high percentage of homes with AC, even through the average high in the summer is only 80. Their frost free dates are Memorial Day to Labor Day. I think their blood is so used to cold weather where jackets don't get worn until under 40, so they get miserably hot at 75 and want AC. BTW, they had -10F earlier this week.

I live in balmy CA and I get cold when the house temp in under 72. DW and I prefer to not visit MT during the winter.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

d0gerz wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:05 pm For those setting to lower temp at night, how does that work. Don't you wake up freezing (because body temp drops when you sleep, and presumably everyone here sleeps at night)?
For most people, the body's circadian rhythm lowers core body temperature and raises skin temperature when preparing for sleep. The reverse happens to prepare for waking.

The body expects lower nighttime temperatures. Most people will be far more comfortable with such temperatures. In fact many people will be too hot if the nighttime temperature is not lower.

It is far more likely for most people that keeping the temperature the same day and night will interfere with proper sleep.

As always YMMV.
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

miyaraj354 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:13 pm I am seeing some really low numbers posted here...low 60s and high 50s in some cases. Are you all using space heaters as well with the thermostats set so low?
Space heaters cost a lot to run. I will admit the house is a little cold if I'm stilling still working, but I have a good fleece jacket and sheepskin slippers that I wear around the house. They keep my feet at the perfect temp. If I'm moving around doing stuff the temps are comfortable. The colder the better at night imo. I will throw a heavy wool blanket on in December/January.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

72 day n nite
Miamilaw35

Post by Miamilaw35 »

I've never used my heater. AC only

75 degrees year round AC
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

miyaraj354 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:13 pm I am seeing some really low numbers posted here...low 60s and high 50s in some cases. Are you all using space heaters as well with the thermostats set so low?
Yeah, I'm surprised, I'm not the only temperature miser here. The first snow of the year just came down. The bedroom is currently 57 degrees. We're dressed in 2-3 layers and huddling underneath the covers. Huddling, not shivering. We do use the space heaters in the morning and after showers. The rest of the house is 50 last I checked.

I absolutely love the winter.
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

70 when I'm home and 67 when I'm at work.
But 72 for company, my daughter and grandson would have a cow with some of the temperatures I see listed here
almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 »

70 in summer and 60 in winter. We both like things cool.
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

Florida here. We have never turned our heat on. Sometimes when it is cold outside it will get down to the lower 60s, but we basically live in a glass box on the top floor of the building, so by the end of the day the AC is usually running. AC is set to 76/72 and 75/73 day/night, two units.
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

Since this is BH, maybe age plus (or minus) X, and rebalance every season? :D
ccf

Post by ccf »

I had the opposite feeling - keeping your house above 70 seems hot to me!

I'm from NH originally and if I ever set my thermostat above 70, my mother can never know.
ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash »

65-66. Unless the wife gets hold of the thermostat. Then it ends up at 72 :oops:
Dakotah

Post by Dakotah »

71 (Day), 69 (night).
Heatpump w/electric resistance strip aux in Maryland.

I'd be willing to set the temp lower at night, but doing so increases the likelihood of the resistance strips aux being used in the morning ($$). Heatpump usage in the winter can be a bit counter-intuitive: lowering the temperature too far during the night can actually end up increasing your energy consumption by causing excessive aux usage when trying to reach the higher daytime temp setting.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

My temps are
Wintertime: 68 day, 64 night and 60 away
Summertime: 77 day, 72 night and 82 away

This not intended to be considered medical information and certainly doesn't apply to COVID-19 which plays by its own rules. There have been many studies that show that bacteria replication rates rise with temperature and humidity to a point and virus replication rates decline.

As is often the case there was a study to use the raw data of several of these studies. While different bacteria and viruses respond differently from their brethren. The study authors concluded that 15-20°C (59-68°F) and 40-50% humidity was the sweet spot for minimum replication of a wide spectrum of bacteria and viruses.

While I am not going to be setting my thermostat at 59° anytime soon. It would appear those setting their thermostats high 50s - low 60s might be doing something beneficial.

I have found that excessively high heat settings on very cold days and excessively low AC settings on very high days shock my system. Anecdotally, it might be my imagination or I am more prone to get colds/flus if the wintertime indoor temperature is > 72.

Also, while I might let the daytime AC temp drift up to 80 when it is 95-100+. I'm not dropping heat when it is below zero. If anything I tend to raise the temp on really cold days.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

Dakotah wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:41 am 71 (Day), 69 (night).

I'd be willing to set the temp lower at night, but doing so increases the likelihood of the resistance strips aux being used in the morning ($$). Heatpump usage in the winter can be a bit counter-intuitive: lowering the temperature too far during the night can actually end up increasing your energy consumption by causing excessive aux usage when trying to reach the higher daytime temp setting.
Not if you have a good modern programmable thermostat. Those thermostats will learn when to bring on the heatpump to get the temperature up to the set point by the designated time without aux heat.

Yes, if you manually set a thermostat usually by more than one (1) degree or your thermostat's program reacts the same way. The thermostat will call for heat and turn on the aux heat.
unstartable

Post by unstartable »

Winter 72 day, 69 night. May adjust up or down 1 degree for comfort. This decision is 100% about comfort for me. Of all the things to spend money on, a couple extra bucks to keep the house at a comfortable temperature is worth it. We are in southern New England and heat with natural gas forced air.
Dakotah

Post by Dakotah »

Spirit Rider wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:55 am

Not if you have a good modern programmable thermostat. Those thermostats will learn when to bring on the heatpump to get the temperature up to the set point by the designated time without aux heat.

Yes, if you manually set a thermostat usually by more than one (1) degree or your thermostat's program reacts the same way. The thermostat will call for heat and turn on the aux heat.
Yes, and I have one of those thermostats...but that won't eliminate the problem when the outdoor temp nears the Heatpump balance point. At that point, you're still going to have a significant difference internal temp and the thermostat set-point at the time of temp-setting adjustment because the heatpump won't be able to warm the house fast enough. When that happens, the aux heat will often kick in. Some of the newest smart thermostats (like my ecobee) will allow you to lock-out the aux usage when it's above a certain outdoor temperature (at the balance point, for example)...but then you're making significant sacrifices on the comfort side. So long story short, a smart thermostat doesn't eliminate the side-effects of a big swings in thermostat temp settings with a heatpump.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

60 F day and night, year round. Pacific Northwest. No a/c, electric furnace.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

marcwd wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:08 pmJust FYI, programmable thermostats are generally easy to install and often available heavily discounted through utility companies.
Thanks to this thread, I've now learned that I do indeed have a programmable thermostat. It's the same kind as in this helpful YouTube video.

I've started with 6.30 am wake-up temp of 67, and 11.30pm sleep temp of 65. Will gradually lower the 65 until DW catches on.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I have a heat pump which heats a bit differently as noted above. I set it at 67 and leave it; there is a space heater in the bathroom and a radiator space heater by my chair in the den. If I turn it down at night and then up in the morning it uses more power. When we had radiator heat in our townhouse, it was different since it heated up so fast.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
A440

Post by A440 »

65-67 day, 60 night. Heated mattress pad for us. One of the best purchases we ever made.
We have teens that wear shorts all year round. :happy
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Hour north of Philly in Pennsylvania. Has set for 67-68. Typically leave gas fireplace on low (even overnight). This heats entire house.

I hate the cold!!!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I'm in MD also. We have ours programmed to drop down at night and then a couple of increases in the morning. One starts early with the goal to recover a couple of degrees by 6am and then another degree or two by 9am. Unless it is really cold, the resistance doesn't often kick in or if so, not for long. Ours was configured to do recovery on the long side in terms of time and we can force it to resistance if we want a quick recovery.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

69-70 degrees day and night. Baseboard heat. Heat is paid through HOA.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

My teenage daughters hijack the thermostat. Preferred setting is 65 in the summer and 75 in the winter. :oops:
joe3411

Post by joe3411 »

68 in New England.
I used to lower to 62 at night but the temperature would take a long time to decrease in the house. Because we have forced hot water heating, a heating pipe froze one time. Now it's decrease to 67 at night.
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

NW Iowa. 70 during day and 66 at night. Have Honeywell setback thermostat I have this:

https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EW7707C ... 192&sr=8-2

electric heater in our master bath and leave it on a low (but warm) setting 24/7 in the cold months.

Set back to 55 day and night when we go south Jan ,Feb and March. WiFi thermostat that lets me know if temp falls below my setting and I can adjust from my iPhone as necessary.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

68-69
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

68 and 63.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

mmmodem wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:19 pm We live in New Hampshire. DW sets the bedroom at 64 all day and night. I set the rest of the home at 42. We have a very efficient home and/or a very inefficient master bedroom as the rest of the home has never dipped below 47. Most of time in winter, it will be around 50.
This is amazing. I did not know you set a heating temp that low. I was taught to never set temp below 55 even when house was empty.
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

Live in Nashville. I keep my AC unit in my apartment at 71 year round. When the temps go below 60ish outside I open the window for natural cooling and fresh air. I'll close the window some when it's in the 30s, close it in the 20s. Between now and March is my favorite time of year.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

unstartable wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:10 am Winter 72 day, 69 night. May adjust up or down 1 degree for comfort. This decision is 100% about comfort for me. Of all the things to spend money on, a couple extra bucks to keep the house at a comfortable temperature is worth it. We are in southern New England and heat with natural gas forced air.
This. We are in Chicagoland, which gets pretty darn cold in the winter, albeit not like MN. We have a tight house with new efficient windows, lots of extra insulation, and a 98% efficient furnace with a variable-speed blower. Our thermostat gets set at the temperature that is ideally comfortable for us. Which, now that it's winter, is 72 during the day and 68 at night. Sure we COULD set it at 64 or whatever during the day, which would save us tens of dollars every year, and we'd be cold and miserable all the time. No thanks.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

Katietsu wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:44 am
mmmodem wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:19 pm We live in New Hampshire. DW sets the bedroom at 64 all day and night. I set the rest of the home at 42. We have a very efficient home and/or a very inefficient master bedroom as the rest of the home has never dipped below 47. Most of time in winter, it will be around 50.
This is amazing. I did not know you set a heating temp that low. I was taught to never set temp below 55 even when house was empty.
That is still true in the northern half of the country and especially so in NH and I live in SO NH. 50 and below would be at high risk of any pipes running on outside walls freezing.

I can only imagine @mmmodem has no such pipes, they very good insulation outbound the pipe, the pipes themselves are insulated, have heating strips and/or leave the downstairs faucets trickling.

If the outside temp is going to be below 10°. I have to keep the kitchen faucet trickling, the doors under the sink open and the setback no lower than 60°. If I don't do all three, the pipes can and have frozen. If it is going to go below zero, I override the nighttime downstairs setback to 70°