removed

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Register44

removed

Post by Register44 »

:arrow:
Last edited by Register44 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matti

Re: Heat - What do you set your temps to in Winter?

Post by matti »

We live in northern Minnesota and typically have the heat set at 68F when we are home (occasionally this doesn't feel warm enough in really damp weather, so we might bump it up a degree or two). We set it at 55F overnight.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

We are usually at 66/67 and we leave it there 24/7. Electric heat.

Our RV has propane heat and we leave it set quite a bit lower. 60/61 most of the time.
Last edited by Wanderingwheelz on Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
investor.saver1

Post by investor.saver1 »

69 day and 62 night time. This is for a could midwestern winter location
Investor.Saver1 | | Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
redmaw

Post by redmaw »

You aren't going to win an thermostat argument with a significant other based in what your internet friends say. So if that's where this is going you might as well give up. :)

Right now we leave it at 69 all the time. I've got 2 kids under 4, 1 which kicks off blankets no matter what...if he gets cold he ends up in my bed. Before kids I think 68 day and we dropped it to 64 at night,when i lived by myself...I don't remember maybe 64 for the day and 50 something at night. But it was a mid-level apartment so I got some heating from the neighbors.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

redmaw wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:08 pm You aren't going to win an thermostat argument with a significant other based in what your internet friends say. So if that's where this is going you might as well give up. :)
Au Contrair!

Wire a second, series wired thermostat in a hidden place, like the back of a closet. When the "public" thermostat is set to 83 (because I'm cold right now), the one in the closet set to 70 governs the max. Yes, I have done this after too many times arriving home with the house at 80 and windows open.

We set it to 70. But we have a wood furnace, so it depends how the wood is burning. It'll obviously drop during the night and if I overdo it, it can get to "open some windows" temp inside. I set the oil backup to 65. But we rarely get there.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

68 day (when home) 55 night & when not home
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

70 Day, 65 Night

Post by 123 »

I used to set things to 68 degress for our "active" hours (get up and get ready for work, arrive home and evening hours). With the pandemic (we're home all the time) I'm trying to get us to live with 66 though I bump it up to 67 if needed. We get used to wearing a sweatshirt so it works out okay. Due to our climate the temperature will rarely drop below 60 inside otherwise.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Middle North Dakota, next door to Northern Minnesota

Day 70, night 69.

Nobody in the family likes to be cold.

In order for these replies to make sense, you must add context.

Temps for winter range from -20F to 20F most of the winter.

In AZ or FL or CA, setting the house at 65 and outside is 70+, the heat may never turn on.

If you cool to 65 in Phoenix, Arizona during the summer, it is 40+ degrees colder in your house than outside. I wouldn't want that AC bill.

If it is 110F out, 80F inside doesn't feel too bad. It actually feels pretty nice. :mrgreen:
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

72 ish on the main floor during the day, turn that down to 65 at night. I let the heat flow up to the bedroom-so heat is off upstairs

I have a small radiator space heater on a timer in master bath to turn on in the morning.
azanon

Post by azanon »

Instead of giving a number, I'll say whatever's optimally warm to me. In other words, I could not care less how much it costs. I have an efficient unit, and a very reasonably sized house. I guess depending on the humidity levels cause what I set it on to vary somewhat.

I kind of treat gas (for my car) the same way - when I fill up, I set the clicker, then gaze around at people until I hear the pop. I honestly couldn't get close to telling you what gas costs right now in my city without googling it.
Last edited by azanon on Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

72 during the day (or higher if it feels too chilly)
76 in the evening (6-11 PM)
off at night (we are in the southeast, so never drops below freezing)
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Usually 66-67 during the day when we are active. 62-63 at night.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
OffGridder

Post by OffGridder »

Eastern Washington State. (cold winters)

68 during day.
60 at bedtime and when we are out of the house.
55 if we are travelling.

Natural gas furnace.
Last edited by OffGridder on Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Goodness is the only investment that never fails." | H.D. Thoreau
Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 »

Northern Maine. 65 day, 55 night with oil. However, we mostly heat with wood which typically overrides the set temps unless I get busy at work. Our wood is free except a quart of gas for my chainsaw.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett
squirm

Post by squirm »

We live in the boonies, heat with a wood stove day and night. Pay zero. Constant 70+, I cut and split firewood from our forest every year.
Not sure how this is actionable.
evancox10

Post by evancox10 »

Last winter was my first winter in a new apartment/condo in Texas. I believe I set the heat to around 68, maybe 70, during day and night. During the day, the heat did not turn on very much if at all. The temps stayed in the 70’s without running the heater, thanks to the warm climate, good insulation, apartment living, and solar heating through floor to ceiling windows. I think a few times I needed to run the AC to counteract the (to me) superheated fresh air intake that is piped in to every unit.

Currently it is still in cooling mode, set to 76 during the day and 74 at night. Averaging ~3 hours of AC usage each day for the last three days, ~1 hour per day last weekend when it got “cold”.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

My house is set to 68 during the day and 65 at night thru the end of November... at some point after that it will be set to 68 day and 68 night thru the end of January (in a usually vane attempt to keep the bedrooms from going below 60 degrees). At some point in February I will reset to the 68/65 plan.

Now that I'm working from home there are more variables. I'm working on the North side of the house. The thermostat is on the "gets a lot of sun when it's not cloudy/overcast" South side of the house. It's a bright sunny day -- so right now the thermostat is showing 68 degrees and my bedroom/office temp is 65 and chilly. I've seen the bedroom temps drop to the upper 50's on a sunny January day with outside air temps in the single digits and a brisk North wind - while the thermostat was happily reading 68.

I recently purchased a radiator style space heater for the office so I don't freeze this winter while WFH.

As for 'fighting' over the temperature in the house - why not consider that NOT all the rooms in the house are the same temperature that's showing on the thermostat and that maybe some sort of remedy (a space heater) might make a difference if someone is spending time in a "cold room".
Munir

Post by Munir »

73 day and night-old man syndrome :happy .
SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B »

Cold Midwest: 67 during the day, 62 at night. If it was just me it would be 60 or lower at night, I love to be cold and have multiple blankets at night but other family members do not.
Topic Author
Register44

Post by Register44 »

:arrow:
Last edited by Register44 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

We have in the floor radiant heat on a slap and have multiple zones in our home. The garage stays at 45 degrees. The rest of the house is 70 degrees constant as it takes a while with this heat system to really make up much temp. We are heating 5400 sq ft on one level and will sometimes crack a window in the bedroom if it gets a little stuffy. We have a large fireplace in the living room and that will really warm that room up if we want.
matti

Post by matti »

Register44 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:56 pm Thanks for all the responses. I really enjoyed reading them and seeing all the different options.

I think for me my considerations are the cost and noise. When the HVAC goes on it wakes me up. So I would rather be a little cold and sleep through, but then it gets so cold that I can't sleep because I am freezing. I also like it to warm up before getting out of bed. I have been just using manual settings, but am going to try the program setting. It looks like you can have up to 4 settings.

So I am thinking of doing a
9 pm 71
10:30 pm 63
4am 66
7am 70

Try to heat it up before I go to bed, have it stay off as long as possible, then heat up for the morning. What do you think?

For cost I would rather pay more to be comfortable, but I wonder how much more we are really talking here.
Instead of heating up the whole house for bedtime, you could consider putting electric blankets on your bed. Not sure how the cost would differ, however.
Beach

Post by Beach »

Have a Nest so it self learns when you are not home and does not turn on heat unless it hits a specific per-determined degree.

Typically set it at 74 in the midwest and forget it. Originally from Florida and the wife would have it hotter if I'd let her.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

65 degrees.. all day and night. We are in Arizona.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

We live in New Hampshire. DW sets the bedroom at 64 all day and night. I set the rest of the home at 42. We have a very efficient home and/or a very inefficient master bedroom as the rest of the home has never dipped below 47. Most of time in winter, it will be around 50.

Grew up poor where the thermostat was set at 55. So I'm used to bundling up inside. Even 64 is too warm for me in the bedroom. She wants 68 so we both compromise. She puts on a sweater and I put on a t-shirt.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

We are in Indiana
In Winter we set at 68 day and 65 night

In Summer we set at 78
Last edited by Sheepdog on Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I'm in the Pacific Northwest. Gas/forced air heating. My thermostat is set at 67 days / 62 nights -- when I finally turn on the furnace. If I will be gone for the day (not often currently) I move it down to 65. As I have gotten older, I have taken to goosing the day/evening temps up to 69 or 70 if my hands get too cold.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

Denver metro area:

Day 64 to 68
Night 64

I've started to use a space heater in the morning in my work from home office so the whole house thermostat can remain at 64. With a west facing office, it warms up nicely on sunny afternoons. I'm uncertain if this approach is energy efficient or not... Next month's Xcel Energy bill will provide insights.

Note that I will increase the setting to 69 or 70 for an hour or so on very cold days. That short time at the higher setting takes the chill out.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

Munir wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:48 pm 73 day and night-old man syndrome :happy .
Old women have the same syndrome. I’m thinking of raising it a degree a year. Last year was 73. In the summer I make up for it by keeping the a.c. at 80. Sometimes I get chilly and turn it up to 81. It’s very hot outside here.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

When we were paying a small fortune in winter to heat with oil, the temp was set to 66 at night and 68 during the day. When we switched to an efficient natural gas heater about 8 years ago and upgraded our insulation, we went to 67 and 69. This year I have gotten lazy and have kept it at 70 all of the time.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

68 day, 64 night

We raise it up if we have guests.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

64/60
Van

Post by Van »

PA. Pretty cold during the winter.

70 during the day and 65 overnight. We used to do 70/60, but I'm not sure that saved much $.
Van

Post by Van »

runner3081 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:22 pm 65 degrees.. all day and night. We are in Arizona.
Really? Your bill for air conditioning must be brutal.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

67 when we're home, which is all the time these days.

For those setting to lower temp at night, how does that work. Don't you wake up freezing (because body temp drops when you sleep, and presumably everyone here sleeps at night)?
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Register44 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:56 pm I think for me my considerations are the cost and noise. When the HVAC goes on it wakes me up. So I would rather be a little cold and sleep through, but then it gets so cold that I can't sleep because I am freezing. I also like it to warm up before getting out of bed. I have been just using manual settings, but am going to try the program setting. It looks like you can have up to 4 settings.

So I am thinking of doing a
9 pm 71
10:30 pm 63
4am 66
7am 70

Try to heat it up before I go to bed, have it stay off as long as possible, then heat up for the morning. What do you think?

For cost I would rather pay more to be comfortable, but I wonder how much more we are really talking here.
I wouldn't bump the heat right before bed. I'd just leave it and have it drop down at 10:30pm. I'd set it to come back up to 70 degrees about a 30 minutes before you get out of bed. With your schedule you'll be waking up at 4am when the heat comes back up and runs longer than your "sleeping mind" sez it should be on, and then again at 7am if you are not already up. If the heat coming on/rising wakes you up - think of it as an "alarm clock".

A space heater (appropriate for the size of your bathroom) can be used to get the bathroom a comfy temp for showering and such in the morning.

I use an electric blanket (in the depths of winter my bedroom drops to 60 or lower... no matter what the thermostat is set at. ). When I was going to work - I used a small space heater in the bathroom. I'd get up plug it in/turn it on, make coffee, tend/feed the cats and when I was ready to shower the room was warm. The cats have heated cat beds - so they can "roast" at will. None of these "appliances" effected my winter electric bill. OK, maybe a dollar or two a month if that. I have cheap electric rates.

Meant to add - most "appliances" have a rating. The cat beds are like 5 watts each (so like a night light). I think the electric blanket is also in that range. The small space heater uses a surprising amount - but when it's for 30 minutes or less per day - not a big deal. I wouldn't try to use it to heat a room for the day - I'd look for a more economical way to accomplish that.
Last edited by LittleMaggieMae on Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canderson

Post by canderson »

PA here. 69 when home, 64 at night.

It is funny cause with our old furnace (replaced last year) it was 74 and 68 and felt colder than now. Efficiency matters!
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

Heat 68
AC 78
surfinagin

Post by surfinagin »

Northeast -Gas furnace

65 day
60 night
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

d0gerz wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:05 pm 67 when we're home, which is all the time these days.

For those setting to lower temp at night, how does that work. Don't you wake up freezing (because body temp drops when you sleep, and presumably everyone here sleeps at night)?
Here’s how it works. I’ve been setting the thermostat for 65-67 during the day and evening. And I turn it down to 50 at night. So the the indoor air temperature drifts down overnight to no lower than maybe the upper- or mid-fifties by morning, depending, of course, on the outside temperature.

My thermostat is programmable and I can set it such that the house is warming up by morning. But in the spring and fall, I generally just turn the thermostat up manually when I get up. And, mind you, I have steam heat, which is relatively slow to start heating the air from a cold start.

I think it’s utterly unnecessary and a waste of energy to heat a whole house full of living space when I’m not using it. That is, when I’m in bed with as many covers as I need to be comfortable. And I sleep much better in a cool room.

When I was working and there was no one in the house during the day for many hours, the thermostat was down at 50 deg. And, no, it doesn’t less energy to maintain a constant temperature than to adjust the thermostat as needed.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Van wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:04 pm
runner3081 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:22 pm 65 degrees.. all day and night. We are in Arizona.
Really? Your bill for air conditioning must be brutal.
The original post asked about heating. We heat to 65.

For the summer "cooling", we are as follows;
8pm to 2pm - 83 degrees
2pm to 3pm - 81 degrees
3pm to 8pm 85 degrees
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

Houston area - 74°F
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Register44 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:58 pm Day and Night settings?
We have radiant heating in the floor. It's always set to 67.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

MarkBarb wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:14 pm Houston area - 74°F
Is that using heat or air conditioning? :wink:
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

68/60 Chicago area, condo, gas forced air.
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

Register44 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:58 pm Day and Night settings?
63 day (50 when we're away at work, unfortunately won't be able to get away with that this winter) 50 night.
megabad

Post by megabad »

Register44 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:56 pm Try to heat it up before I go to bed, have it stay off as long as possible, then heat up for the morning. What do you think?
I run mine sort of like yours. Same issue. Sounds like an earthquake when it comes on. But AC is way worse than heat. Depending on your heat type you ought to be able to turn it up sooner to bed and closer to wakeup to save some money but you can tweak that as you experiment. Unless it is very cold, my house can heat from 55 to 75 in less than an hour easy.

In winter I run mine at about 61 during the day, 62/63 at night (I turn it up when I brush teeth). If no one is home 55. If people are visiting 73.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

The older I get the more I feel the winter cold, and the more I run the heat. Don't judge me.