Last day at work, to-do list?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Faith20879

Last day at work, to-do list?

Post by Faith20879 »

Retiring. Today is my last day. I have:

1. backed up my professional licenses, awards in pdf and copied to my personal pc.
2. returned all company issued devices.
3. had my exit interview and my rights read to me concerning 401K and other benefits.
4. retuning my badge and keys.

Is there other things I need to back up before they shut down my accounts?

I am experiencing separation anxiety fearing that I might've left something important behind that I'll never be able to retrieve.

Thanks!
catlady

Re: Last day at work, to-do list?

Post by catlady »

Last paystub if online, health care coverage docs for currently active coverage, personal email addresses of anyone you want to keep in contact with. Find out how long you’ll have access to the online portal for paystubs and benefits, if applicable.
TLC

Post by TLC »

Make sure that you aren't using your work email address for any personal, online accounts including for password retrieval purposes.
Topic Author
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

catlady wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:13 am Last paystub if online,
Thanks for the speedy response.

Been told during the exit interview, the online access will be cut off immediately. They will snail mail the remaining. This means I'll not have an electronic copy of my W2 come tax time. Bummer! It is what it is.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Contact information for colleagues (whether friends or professional references).
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Be proactive. Your last day should not be used to do anything for YOU. Assume that the instant you give notice, you'll be walked out the door.

Before giving notice, back up anything you want to keep on your own personal thumb drive. Take everything home that you plan to take home. When you give notice, have your car keys in your pocket with your coat near the exit.

I've seen others walked out. Employees then make the decision if that's "his" stapler or the company's stapler. Notebooks of any kind will likely not be allowed out the door, even if it's guitar music for your garage band.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

Sent an email to your co-workers saying goodbye. Include your personal email address in that email.

KlangFool
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:06 am Be proactive. Your last day should not be used to do anything for YOU. Assume that the instant you give notice, you'll be walked out the door.

Before giving notice, back up anything you want to keep on your own personal thumb drive. Take everything home that you plan to take home. When you give notice, have your car keys in your pocket with your coat near the exit.

I've seen others walked out. Employees then make the decision if that's "his" stapler or the company's stapler. Notebooks of any kind will likely not be allowed out the door, even if it's guitar music for your garage band.
That is going to vary by location and type of work. I tend to work more in the defense side of things and the idea of a personal thumb drive is a big no-no.

Thankfully I've never been walked out when I resigned from a position but I always made sure to take personal items home before I gave noticed and tidied things up early.

Every company is different but probably safest to assume the worst.
EdNorton

Post by EdNorton »

Arrange transportation home after celebration. :sharebeer
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Defense is a completely different animal. I only know from my son working for one. No personal stuff was allowed on the mil contractor's system. Different from working at mega-corp where your work computer can go home, to panera, contain your cat videos and your own list of customer info.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Watty

Post by Watty »

Faith20879 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:04 am I am experiencing separation anxiety fearing that I might've left something important behind that I'll never be able to retrieve.
People leave jobs all the time, often without notice like when they are fired or laid off and walked out the door.

At worst there might be some inconvenience but you should not have any big problems.
TLC wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:18 am Make sure that you aren't using your work email address for any personal, online accounts including for password retrieval purposes.
+1

I was using my work email for password retrieval so I had to change that.

Also check to see if your work email or phone number is used in your contact information for your 401k. I think my defaulted to that.

I also had used my work phone number for a library, so that they would send an automated call to that number when a book I had on hold had come in. That way I could pick it up on my way home from work.

Also consider if you might have used your work phone number for things like emergency contacts for daycare, doctors offices, etc.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Don't be like others I work with. No personal laptop/computer at home, no alternative email address other than works...it's outrageous. These are SVPs too.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Faith20879 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:04 am Retiring. Today is my last day. I have:

1. backed up my professional licenses, awards in pdf and copied to my personal pc.
3. had my exit interview and my rights read to me concerning 401K and other benefits.

I am experiencing separation anxiety fearing that I might've left something important behind that I'll never be able to retrieve.

Thanks!
All of your licenses, certification, etc. belonged on your personal PC to start with, definitely not a work PC.

The company has a checklist that will have to be signed off on by multiple layers of management and will not pay you your final paycheck or any pension etc. until all the items have been certified as complete, so you don't need to worry about anything else. There are people those things are more important than they are to you, and you can be absolutely certain they will be certain they are dealt with properly.
Last edited by tibbitts on Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Faith20879 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:04 am Retiring. Today is my last day. I have:

Thanks!
Take a moment to reflect on your years of hard work and a well earned retirement coming up.
Best wishes!
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

mrmass wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:44 am Don't be like others I work with. No personal laptop/computer at home, no alternative email address other than works...it's outrageous. These are SVPs too.
You're not making any sense. My personal computer belongs at home and I use it there; where do you keep/use yours?

What is an alternative email address "other than works"? Do you mean belonging to your employer? You don't have a personal email address?
Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 »

stan1 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:21 am Contact information for colleagues (whether friends or professional references).
This is exactly what I was thinking. I am planning for a couple years from now and started keeping track of co-worker's personal contact info when I can.
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:49 am
mrmass wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:44 am Don't be like others I work with. No personal laptop/computer at home, no alternative email address other than works...it's outrageous. These are SVPs too.
You're not making any sense. My personal computer belongs at home and I use it there; where do you keep/use yours?

What is an alternative email address "other than works"? Do you mean belonging to your employer? You don't have a personal email address?
I think mrmass is saying there are people that do not have a personal computer at all, just their work computer/email.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

I work with others, that don't have a computer (other than work issued) or an email address other than their current employer. What I was trying to spit out was hopefully op has a computer/email other than what the current employer has provided.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

If applicable, refill RX and complete necessary healthcare appointments while your current employer healthcare coverage is in effect.

If you will be using COBRA post-separation, check the benefit information you were given about it. Many companies outsource COBRA administration and the enrollment information is sent out by the third-party administrator (TPA) usually after your last day of work. You legally have a certain number of days to enroll and pay. Until you are enrolled, you pay out of pocket and claim reimbursement under retroactive coverage.

Stay on top of the deadlines for initial enrollment, payment and annual open enrollment as some TPAs are not great about notifications, etc. I had one such TPA for a Fortune 100 MegaCorp that “forgot” to send annual enrollment packages to COBRA participants.
azanon

Post by azanon »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:06 am Be proactive. Your last day should not be used to do anything for YOU. Assume that the instant you give notice, you'll be walked out the door.

The only employees we ever took these kinds of precautions for were very very bad employees, who we were probably in the process of firing anyway.
azanon

Post by azanon »

Thanks!
It's too bad the supervisors don't have an exit checklist wherever it is that you work. We have a pretty detailed one and tried to think of almost everything, which has been fine-tuned with lessons learned from other departing employees. We want employees departing on good terms whenever possible.
Bogle Millennial

Post by Bogle Millennial »

Update any frequent flyer or travel loyalty rewards programs if you have an office phone or company email tied to them.
Topic Author
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

A big THANK YOU to all who chimed in.

This is a voluntary retirement after 30+ years of employment. I would like to believe/hope that this departure is on good terms. :D

After my initial post, I've also

1. collected some co-workers' contact info
2. downloaded a couple piece of work that I am most proud of over the years.
3. confirmed there is no issue with health insurance or COBRA coverage.

While self-examining my anxiety, I came to see that it is probably more about fear of leaving my identity behind than anything else. I'll just take a deep breath and let whatever I left behind be left behind.

There are some very kind hearted folks here. Your encouragement leaves a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Be sure to cut a couple of doughnuts and burnouts in the parking lot as you leave.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Topic Author
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:49 pm Be sure to cut a couple of doughnuts and burnouts in the parking lot as you leave.
:sharebeer

Except the company is till in lockdown, the parking lot is completely empty. No one is there to see my spectacular burnouts.

I had to deposit my badge/keys into one of those mail receiving slots, so surreal.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Congrats, be well.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

Bobby206 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:50 am
stan1 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:21 am Contact information for colleagues (whether friends or professional references).
This is exactly what I was thinking. I am planning for a couple years from now and started keeping track of co-worker's personal contact info when I can.
In the days of LinkedIn, chasing after co-workers' personal contact info is not a must any longer. However, it is still a good idea.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

mrmass wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:54 am

I work with others, that don't have a computer (other than work issued) or an email address other than their current employer. What I was trying to spit out was hopefully op has a computer/email other than what the current employer has provided.
Ah... yes totally agree: nobody should rely on a work computer or work email for personal use.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Faith20879 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:10 pm
Brianmcg321 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:49 pm Be sure to cut a couple of doughnuts and burnouts in the parking lot as you leave.
:sharebeer

Except the company is till in lockdown, the parking lot is completely empty. No one is there to see my spectacular burnouts.

I had to deposit my badge/keys into one of those mail receiving slots, so surreal.
That receiving slot situation would be a little concerning to me: you really want the person responsible to confirm receipt. I would at least ask the person to send email to you confirming receipt - that might be the best you can do under the circumstances. As I said everything would normally be on-hold until the company had everything it expected. You don't want to find out weeks later that something is missing - something you actually turned in.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

I would download/get a copy of your work and salary history.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I hope to miss my last day of work.

Seriously though, I have completely untangled my personal and professional life at this point. If I never step foot in the office again, and have to leave everything behind and untouched, it won’t bother me one bit. So if a disaster happened, or I got fired via text in the middle of the night, I’m good.

Assuming that doesn’t happen, I would like to send a goodbye note to friends. HR would have me verify some info for last pay check, and I think that would be it. Should be a short day when it comes.