Share you advice: has anybody spray painted an old outdoor fan?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Texanbybirth

Share you advice: has anybody spray painted an old outdoor fan?

Post by Texanbybirth »

I’ve been reading up on doing this. Seems like a cheap way to try to update a fan, which is working perfectly. I’d be interested to hear about any hiccups or issues you ran into.

The fan is down and I feel confident taking apart the hardware, blade, and motor housing to do the job right. The blades are plastic, so I’m guessing we’ll need a primer to help the paint adhere.

Thanks in advance!
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Trader Joe

Re: Share you advice: has anybody spray painted an old outdoor fan?

Post by Trader Joe »

"Share you advice: has anybody spray painted an old outdoor fan?"

No, I would not do this. I would continue to enjoy my "perfectly working" outdoor fan.
Dregob

Post by Dregob »

I spray painted an outdoor fan we use to keep bugs away from babies (not mine!) on a blanket.
I did not prime it and I used some leftover spray paint I had in the garage (Rustoleum).
I taped the electric motor so it didn't get paint on the coil.
It looks fine, works fine and the paint stuck to the plastic just fine. I do keep it in the garage when not in use.
meebers

Post by meebers »

I need to just paint the blades on my back porch fans. The fans are still nice and white, but the blades are turning yellow. 10 blades off, clean, paint (probably 2 coats) and reinstall. Been on the wife's list for quite a while. :mrgreen:
Topic Author
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Dregob wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:01 pm I spray painted an outdoor fan we use to keep bugs away from babies (not mine!) on a blanket.
I did not prime it and I used some leftover spray paint I had in the garage (Rustoleum).
It looks fine, works fine and the paint stuck to the plastic just fine. I do keep it in the garage when not in use.
Thank you! I'm guessing any decent paint department/store can advise us on whether the paint will..."stick" in a particular application. I'll probably take a fan blade with me.
Trader Joe wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:40 pm "Share you advice: has anybody spray painted an old outdoor fan?"

No, I would not do this. I would continue to enjoy my "perfectly working" outdoor fan.
Not an option because it doesn't match our newly-painted back porch and my wife either wants a new one or a "new" one. I'm trying to save $200 here. :beer
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
like2read

Post by like2read »

Texanbybirth wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:14 pm I’ve been reading up on doing this. Seems like a cheap way to try to update a fan, which is working perfectly. I’d be interested to hear about any hiccups or issues you ran into.

The fan is down and I feel confident taking apart the hardware, blade, and motor housing to do the job right. The blades are plastic, so I’m guessing we’ll need a primer to help the paint adhere.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, I did this about 5 years ago. Worked out fine and still looks great.

Took the blades off before painting and reattached afterwards. No primer coat. Just Rustoleum spray. Read the directtions. Hold can back aways and spray lightly. Much easier to add more paint than cleaning up drips from too much paint.

l2r
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Texanbybirth wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:18 pm
Dregob wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:01 pm I spray painted an outdoor fan we use to keep bugs away from babies (not mine!) on a blanket.
Thank you! I'm guessing any decent paint department/store can advise us on whether the paint will..."stick" in a particular application. I'll probably take a fan blade with me.
Trader Joe wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:40 pm "Share you advice: has anybody spray painted an old outdoor fan?"

Not an option because it doesn't match our newly-painted back porch and my wife either wants a new one or a "new" one. I'm trying to save $200 here. :beer
Plastic adhesion depends on the type of plastic, so even though many spray paints are labeled for use with plastic, actual performance will vary. Primers also vary in performance based on substrate, so it's hard to say if it will help or hurt.

That said, for $200 of potential savings, I'd definitely give it a try. Personally, I'd try sanding the fan with 200 or 400 grit to give it a texture to adhere to, wipe it clean with rubbing alcohol, and try the paint with no primer both for simplicity and for minimizing texture.
Topic Author
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

iamlucky13 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:33 pm
Texanbybirth wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:18 pm

Plastic adhesion depends on the type of plastic, so even though many spray paints are labeled for use with plastic, actual performance will vary. Primers also vary in performance based on substrate, so it's hard to say if it will help or hurt.

That said, for $200 of potential savings, I'd definitely give it a try. Personally, I'd try sanding the fan with 200 or 400 grit to give it a texture to adhere to, wipe it clean with rubbing alcohol, and try the paint with no primer both for simplicity and for minimizing texture.
Thanks for this post. I'm more worried about the paint sticking to the fan blades, and I think to allay that concern I'll just take them with me to Sherwin-Williams.