Got Samsclub membership -- give me your best tips!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
doss

Got Samsclub membership -- give me your best tips!

Post by doss »

So just got a Samsclub membership. Thought I would give it a try. What are some great money-saving tips for a family of 4 (1month old, 4yr old) ?
“ The long-term 9%-10% nominal return of the stock market INCLUDES the crashes.” — calvin+hobbs
dpt486

Re: Got Samsclub membership -- give me your best tips!

Post by dpt486 »

If you subscribe to their more expensive service you can literally get a free car wash one a day. It’s awesome. I find that their in house brand (Members Mark) makes great toilet paper, paper towels, and dishwasher pods. I’ve heard that their detergent is a generic tide, but cannot confirm. I love our membership!

Also, if you subscribe to a Sams Club credit card, you can get 5% cash back to spend at Sams Club. This isn’t restricted to just their gas stations either.
dpt486

Post by dpt486 »

dpt486 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:01 pm If you subscribe to their more expensive service you can literally get a free car wash once a day. It’s awesome. I find that their in house brand (Members Mark) makes great toilet paper, paper towels, and dishwasher pods. I’ve heard that their detergent is a generic tide, but cannot confirm. I love our membership!

Also, if you subscribe to a Sams Club credit card, you can get 5% cash back to spend at Sams Club. This isn’t restricted to just their gas stations either.
kryptonic

Post by kryptonic »

Put the app on your phone and use scan and go. You just scan the barcode with your phone as you shop (or at the end) and no need to wait in line or even go through self checkout... just hit the button on your phone to pay and walk out. Great for keeping social distance too.

Have both Costco and Sams and I prefer the Sams TP and paper towels.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Depending where you are, gas is significantly cheaper at Sam's. Especially premium for our high end car: save easily 50 c a gallon on it regularly.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

kryptonic wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:06 pm Put the app on your phone and use scan and go. You just scan the barcode with your phone as you shop (or at the end) and no need to wait in line or even go through self checkout... just hit the button on your phone to pay and walk out. Great for keeping social distance too.

Agree 100%
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

kryptonic wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:06 pm Put the app on your phone and use scan and go. You just scan the barcode with your phone as you shop (or at the end) and no need to wait in line or even go through self checkout... just hit the button on your phone to pay and walk out. Great for keeping social distance too.

Another vote for using the app to do self-checkout as you shop. No waiting, no one touching your stuff.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

dpt486 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:01 pm If you subscribe to their more expensive service you can literally get a free car wash one a day. It’s awesome. I find that their in house brand (Members Mark) makes great toilet paper, paper towels, and dishwasher pods. I’ve heard that their detergent is a generic tide, but cannot confirm. I love our membership!

Did not know that. Would that work for even a standard member?
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

dpt486 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:01 pm Also, if you subscribe to a Sams Club credit card, you can get 5% cash back to spend at Sams Club. This isn’t restricted to just their gas stations either.
You should check how Sams Club rewards work... I think you get the reward pay out once a year - and ONLY if you keep the membership/card active.

I took the Sam's Club card (and rewards) as part of a promotion for signing up (I only paid $20.00 to shop at Sams). Unfortunately, the membership came with automatic renewal (because of the card) and the rewards didn't pay out until after the next renewal. I was not a good fit for this program as I don't spend that much at Sams. I had originally thought I could use the rewards as I accrued them. :(

That said, friends who get a lot of value out of a Sam's club membership - use sams club gas stations exclusively.

I tended to not buy food - there's only one of me. :) I would buy stuff that I use often - like 13 gallon kitchen trash bags, toothbrushes, tooth paste, aluminum foil, dish soap (although I also find it at the "dollar store"), I have purchased 8*10 area rugs and a flat screen TV, sound bar/speakers, and DVD player. the value for me as a "singleton" at sams would be being able to buy a year (or more) supply of something that doesn't "go bad" - thus freeing me from having to watch for sales or having to keep track so I don't run out of something.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

I've found their meat to be on par with Costco, especially their ribeyes and baby back ribs. If you get the $100 plus membership you can shop at least two hours before the store opens for regular members.

I don't have the Sam's Club credit card but still get rewards once a year.
Looking4Answers

Post by Looking4Answers »

As mentioned, Sam's Mastercard is good for gas. Also has no foreign transaction fee. But I always used another card when shopping at Sam's, it only gives 1% there.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

I can't believe how many folks don't use "Scan & Go". They'd rather wait in line?
Being retired, I go weekday mornings. For working folk evenings are better than weekends.

Just the wife and I, here are some of the staples we like to keep in on the shelf or freezer:
90/20 ground beef, chicken thighs, pork & beef roasts.
Del Real refrigerated tamales
Ball Park Buns
Members Mark 1/4 lb hot dogs (I think they are Nathans)
MM Olive oil
Taylor Farms Spring Mix & Shredded Cabbage, Fresh Mushrooms, Fresh Broccoli
Minh Egg Rolls, DiGiorno Pizza's, Frozen bags of Corn
MM batteries
Pecorino Romano wedge
Hershey Chocolate
Fresh Step Cat Litter
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Looking4Answers wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:27 pm As mentioned, Sam's Mastercard is good for gas. Also has no foreign transaction fee. But I always used another card when shopping at Sam's, it only gives 1% there.
Yes, use your Citi Double Cash card at Sam’s to get 2% rebate.

And you don’t need to wait a year for your Citi rebate.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

No longer a member but we found good values in these items:
Paper products
Lawn bags
Large bag of Starbucks coffee
Pork tenderloin
Chicken tenderloins (frozen)
Pupperoni and other dog treats
Large container of Feta cheese
Olives (6 pack)
Almonds
Rotisserie chicken
Some vitamins and otc meds
HMdocinPA

Post by HMdocinPA »

Sams club credit card for 5% on gas but as noted only paid out once a year. I use the fidelity credit card via scan and go for the 2%, scan and go is awesome. I have 4 kids, so diapers and wipes, fruit, and lots of TP and paper towels. I get the 10lb roll of ground beef and vacuum pack at home into 2lb servings for the freezer. I’ve bought TV’s, a small beer fridge, clothes, all kinds of things from Sam’s. Only downside is the one closest to me doesn’t have gas or I’d save even more.
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

I belong to both. Four observations:

(1) My local Sam's Club has much fresher berries than the local Costco (blueberry, raspberry, blackberry). I do not know if this is a local phenomenon or is a widespread logistics characteristic.

(2) Costco's gas is top tier (certified high detergent content) and Sam's Club is not.

(3) My retiree benefits website (from megacorp) offers a discount for the annual Sam's Club fee (but not Costco).

(4) A couple of years ago it was publicised that Sam's Club wanted to upgrade its image and they started carrying more organic goods etc. From my local experience there has been an improvement from a prior more "bare-bones economy" type of experience when shopping at Sam's Club as a result.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

It really depends on where you live and what the local competition offers.

In West Texas, Sam’s offered pretty good values on produce (spinach, especially) and their avocados were usually much better than what H‑E‑B offered. Meats (fresh) and shrimp were usually cheaper than H‑E‑B as well and on par. Canned goods were often cheaper at HEB.

In Santa Fe, the produce quality doesn’t seem to be as good, but the canned goods are much cheaper than what the local grocery stores offer and the liquor prices are fantastic. Meats and the like are good and no complaints. (Sam’s and general grocery stores like HEB didn’t, or couldn’t, sell liquor in my previous hometown).

So it really does seem to be location dependent to me.

But in both places the cheese (sliced, feta, block, etc), bread (Dave’s killer bread, specifically, and English muffins), hummus, and paper products seem to be good values. Also, bananas are very cheap at both places. And sliced microwaveable bacon too.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Tires! Price is always competitive, also they always have a promotion on 1 or 2 brands.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
mkc

Post by mkc »

Prime beef (especially packer brisket if you have a smoker) Plus Sam's doesn't "mechanically tenderize" their steaks like Costco does, so you can safely cook it rare to medium-rare. We stopped buying beef at Costco because of this (mechanically tenderized steaks should be cooked to an internal temperature higher than that due to bacteria risk)
Fresh and frozen seafood - except the frozen sockeye (the portions are too erratic in size) and any Atlantic salmon (because we don't eat farmed Atlantic salmon)
Avocados
Frigo Cheese sticks (DH is a cheese stick fan and Sam's has them in large quantity packaging)
Another vote for the berries

Not a fan of the bananas from our Sam's Club - they ripen too quickly and go "past" too quickly (I suspect they are force-ripened)

Prefer Costco's health and beauty/vitamin selection and their poultry selection

Garage shelving units (both the Metrocart-like clone with wheels and the heavy duty model)
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

StevieG72 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:51 pm Tires! Price is always competitive, also they always have a promotion on 1 or 2 brands.
+1
And lifetime free rotation. They were amazing about replacing a tire under warranty also.
squirm

Post by squirm »

IMO Sams is better than Costco. one thing I hate about costco was them always moving things around. my time is important to me. costco making you go on a wild goose chase is annoying at best. sams has fewer shoppers which is good and makes a more pleasant experience, plus we have never waited in a checkout line. they also have phone app, you can scan that way too. i think the costco vs sams is like apple vs windows. or something like that.
Helios

Post by Helios »

Regular Sams member.
We order items from their app, schedule a pickup time, drive up to select area, checkin via app. Then staff bring out shopped items and load in our car.
Excellent Covid solution to not going into store.
We found that the same items were often repeat purchases. App knows this and previously purchased items are displayed for reorder.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

KSOC wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:27 pm I can't believe how many folks don't use "Scan & Go". They'd rather wait in line?
On several occasions at my local sams club I have gotten all the way to the end using scan and go only for it to have an error trying to check out. I have to then use the normal scanning checkout :x
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
bhtomj

Post by bhtomj »

CostCo and Sams member here too. Sams is preferred:
  • Scan& Go App,
    Online order, pickup with associates loading your car
    Better produce than CostCo,
    Closer to our house,
    Less crowded
Still shop CostCo as they carry some items we cannot buy elsewhere.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

SimonJester wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:47 pm
KSOC wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:27 pm I can't believe how many folks don't use "Scan & Go". They'd rather wait in line?
On several occasions at my local sams club I have gotten all the way to the end using scan and go only for it to have an error trying to check out. I have to then use the normal scanning checkout :x
Ok, yeah I haven't had an issue yet. At first, in Florida, if you bought alcohol you couldn't use scan and go. Then they changed it so you could, but when you got to the door to be scanned it would alert them to verify age. I'm now in PA, and no alcohol sales at Sam's. :(

But they now have self check out too, but again, always a line for a cashier, kiosks available. I get it if you have a large amount of items. But I think some people are intimidated by them.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
mkc

Post by mkc »

SimonJester wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:47 pm
Same here - usually barfs on the credit card. A simple fix for the app would be to have a scan code where you could scan your phone at the self-service registers and then simply pay there.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Contact lenses. My wife says they are at least $30 to $50 cheaper at Sam’s Club than elsewhere. Online or in store.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

+1. Depends on the location and/or time/day but sometimes the lines are crazy here. You cannot use it for liquor (at least here) though for obvious reasons.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Being retired, I go weekday mornings. For working folk evenings are better than weekends.

Just the wife and I, here are some of the staples we like to keep in on the shelf or freezer:
90/20 ground beef, chicken thighs, pork & beef roasts.
Del Real refrigerated tamales
Ball Park Buns
Members Mark 1/4 lb hot dogs (I think they are Nathans)
MM Olive oil
Taylor Farms Spring Mix & Shredded Cabbage, Fresh Mushrooms, Fresh Broccoli
Minh Egg Rolls, DiGiorno Pizza's, Frozen bags of Corn
MM batteries
Pecorino Romano wedge
Hershey Chocolate
Fresh Step Cat Litter
I've been amazed during Covid....lines to the back of the store sometimes and I zoom out. I don't know if it lack of awareness or something else.
VaR

Post by VaR »

dpt486 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:01 pm I find that their in house brand (Members Mark) makes great toilet paper, paper towels, and dishwasher pods. I’ve heard that their detergent is a generic tide, but cannot confirm.
I'd like to second the recommendation for the Member's Mark TP. I haven't found anything better. I anyone has, please let me know.
mancich

Post by mancich »

We belong to both BJ's and Sam's. The Sam's membership was only $25 through my company, so we joined up because it is much closer to home than BJ's. I find it is okay, but the selection is not quite as good as BJ's, and the shopping experience just doesn't seem as pleasant as BJ's either. Buy YMMV
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

Scan and Go now available at fuel station. Scan a QR code on pump with app. Nice
Priam

Post by Priam »

If you are looking for a good lotion/cream, Sam’s sells Cerave 19oz cream for $14 and change versus Walmart that is $16 and change for a 16oz. Sam’s also sells two 12oz Cerave lotion for $17 and change and Walmart sells one 12oz for $11 and change.
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

mkc wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:29 pm Prime beef (especially packer brisket if you have a smoker) Plus Sam's doesn't "mechanically tenderize" their steaks like Costco does, so you can safely cook it rare to medium-rare. We stopped buying beef at Costco because of this (mechanically tenderized steaks should be cooked to an internal temperature higher than that due to bacteria risk)
Yikes! I had no idea. I just did a search for this and found out that it's true but apparently varies based on location and cut of meat. I've been buying prime steaks there for years and cooking them medium-rare. Of course we haven't gotten ill, but it would have been nice if they had put the warning in larger print than they apparently do. I'll make a Costco trip this week and check out the label on our favorite prime tri-tip.
djbaer

Post by djbaer »

I'd recommend checking out the plus membership if you'll do quite a bit of shopping there. The plus membership costs $100, but you get 2 percent back on your purchases. My 2 percent back is always more than the $100 membership fee -- so it's a free membership plus some extra money back.
Wtlutz

Post by Wtlutz »

The Chicken
J295

Post by J295 »

Lots of good things upthread. Rather than repeat, here's one not mentioned yet ..... buying online with free delivery. One particularly convenient item is dog food, so I don't need to haul a 50 pound bag through the store, parking lot, and home. Many other items ordered online for delivery as well. We have Plus, and not sure if this is for regular or Plus only.
rtt22

Post by rtt22 »

As far as I know, gas sold at Sam's Club is not Top Tier gas, which is "a fuel quality program created and enforced by automakers for optimal vehicle performance". Top Tier gas is available at BP, Exxon, Mobil, Costco, etc. Full list of retailers here: https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/, Sam's Club is not on the list.
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

rtt22 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:42 pm As far as I know, gas sold at Sam's Club is not Top Tier gas, which is "a fuel quality program created and enforced by automakers for optimal vehicle performance". Top Tier gas is available at BP, Exxon, Mobil, Costco, etc. Full list of retailers here: https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/, Sam's Club is not on the list.
I have checked MPG on same trip using Costco has and Sam's Club. No difference. I guess you have to believe there really is an additive in it for cleaning. I use Costco when I can but many more Sam's Clubs near my travels on interstate.
b4real

Post by b4real »

We used to use scan & go and really liked it. Now we order online and do curbside pickup in the morning when they are less busy. It works great and they don’t require a minimum order. They also offer free shipping on many items. The members mark brand is consistently good. If you have the plus membership and credit card you get $10 back for every $500 you spend in addition to the credit card cash back. For us this ends up paying for the extra cost of the plus membership. We’ve been Costco members in the past and like Sams better.
squirm

Post by squirm »

I doubt I ever purposely bought "top tier" gas, whatever that means and however I'm suppose to benefit from it as I always just buy the cheapest gas and never had an issue.
squirm

Post by squirm »

J295 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:14 pm Lots of good things upthread. Rather than repeat, here's one not mentioned yet ..... buying online with free delivery. One particularly convenient item is dog food, so I don't need to haul a 50 pound bag through the store, parking lot, and home. Many other items ordered online for delivery as well. We have Plus, and not sure if this is for regular or Plus only.
I think it's Plus only. I usually get a bunch of cat food online and shipped for free that I can't get in the store because some of our mutts don't agree with the in store stuff.
rtt22

Post by rtt22 »

squirm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:50 pm I doubt I ever purposely bought "top tier" gas, whatever that means and however I'm suppose to benefit from it as I always just buy the cheapest gas and never had an issue.
AAA Study Shows Top Tier Gasoline Worth the Extra Price: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-mai ... tra-price/
Skiffy

Post by Skiffy »

Diapers and wipes will pay for your membership! Formula also
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

If you are buying aluminum foil, go to the back where they sell restaurant supplies. It’s been awhile since I priced checked, but it’s something like 1/5 the price per sq ft than the Reynolds brand in the more “normal” area of the store.

Also, Scan and Go is an awesome feature. No one should ever go to a check out line again.
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

rtt22 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:42 am
squirm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:50 pm I doubt I ever purposely bought "top tier" gas, whatever that means and however I'm suppose to benefit from it as I always just buy the cheapest gas and never had an issue.
AAA Study Shows Top Tier Gasoline Worth the Extra Price: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-mai ... tra-price/
This article was only published last year, but was already out of date at that point. They list the prime benefit as cleaning the intake valves, and even show a picture of how bad deposits on said valves can get.

However, most modern engines use Direct Injection. So the fuel never actually touches the valves. All that nice detergent you're paying extra for goes straight into the cylinder and is immediately burned off. If you have an older car with port or throttle body injection (or one of the few new cars with dual injection), then yes there is an advantage to the detergents. Otherwise, no.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Giant chocolate, chocolate-chip muffins!
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

When the Cafe opens up again -

A slice of the three-meat pizza is to die for. Delicious, even if it is a little greasy.
We're wolves

Post by We're wolves »

boglegirl wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:44 pm
mkc wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:29 pm Prime beef (especially packer brisket if you have a smoker) Plus Sam's doesn't "mechanically tenderize" their steaks like Costco does, so you can safely cook it rare to medium-rare. We stopped buying beef at Costco because of this (mechanically tenderized steaks should be cooked to an internal temperature higher than that due to bacteria risk)
Yikes! I had no idea. I just did a search for this and found out that it's true but apparently varies based on location and cut of meat. I've been buying prime steaks there for years and cooking them medium-rare. Of course we haven't gotten ill, but it would have been nice if they had put the warning in larger print than they apparently do. I'll make a Costco trip this week and check out the label on our favorite prime tri-tip.
This is very location and cut dependent. I buy prime ribeye and strip steaks at my costco and they are never mechanically tenderized. They are also very, very good and cheaper than any other local supplier.
Snezz1e

Post by Snezz1e »

One thing about Scan and Go App is that if you have the BOA Cash Rewards Card, Scan and Go purchases trigger the 3% Online category which is better than the 2% wholesale for paying at register.

With BOA Preferred Rewards bonus its 5.25% vs. 3.5%.

Even if you have to buy something restrictive like alcohol(it's mouthwash for me) I use scan and go for everything else and take only the restricted item to register and pay.