Trane HVAC - Bad Experience

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
like2read

Trane HVAC - Bad Experience

Post by like2read »

Based on our recent experience, my opinion and personal advice is avoid Trane.

I honestly don't know what brand I would purchase if we had to purchase again; they are all the same, right? I did a ton of research prior to selecting Trane and I was convinced they were the most reliable. Perhaps they were at some point.

Within four years of original date of installation we have had 3 major repair issues on our Trane XR14 A/C. Replaced: motor module, evaporator coil and compressor. Three separate issues, three separate service calls. Over $1300 in total repair costs. We had more failures on a 2 to 4 year old new unit than we had on the previous equipment over 8 years. And, those 8 years of use were over years 15 to 23 of the old Carrier AC.

Only good news is that Trane honored their 10 warranty and covered the costs of replacement parts. Bad news is we had to pay labor and a good portion of the cost to recharge refrigerant. (Installation company was kind enough to eat some of the costs of refrigerant).

Was our experience an anomaly? What brand to buy instead?

l2r
dcabler

Re: Trane HVAC - Bad Experience

Post by dcabler »

It's a tough one. We're on year 23 with our old Lennox and it's been just about as reliable as can be and was worth the extra we paid for it back in the day. Each summer here in Central TX, I think "this is going to be the summer when I need to buy a new one". But I've been saying that for about 5 years now. But it's inevitable and I've been wondering what I'll get next.

Everything I've read is that Lennox isn't what it used to be, etc. In fact on any review sites I've read regarding A/C's with real homeowner or A/C technician reviews, none of them are "what they used to be" for a whole host of reasons given.

Even so, the reviews for just about any model out there vary all over the place from great, no problems, to "avoid at all costs" with no single model I've found that is overwhelmingly positive. Tells me that they all have had issues with their manufacturing lines. Very tough to know where to turn, but will be watching this thread....
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

like2read wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:58 pm I honestly don't know what brand I would purchase if we had to purchase again; they are all the same, right?
I watched a youtube saying 5 A/C manufacturers own 30 different brands.
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

I have 2 Trane units about 8 and 10 yrs old. No problems to speak of. I clean outside units every spring with coil cleaner. I still have faith in the brand.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

We had a builder grade Trane system in our house that we built in 1998. We had one repair (fan motor failed) that was about $600 and then the AC unit failed in year 13 ($1300 repair estimate) so we replaced the entire system with a Bryant high efficiency two stage furnace and AC and it’s been so far so good 9 years in. So I’d say Trane was ok, not great overall.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

Consumer Reports gives Trane its highest rating for reliability (8/10).

As to reviews, I usually look for the same problem being reported by lots of folks. Ratio of negative to positive reports doesn't mean much to me. People report problems but seldom report "working". Sounds like you got a lemon.
wish

Re: Trane HVAC - Bad Experience...same here

Post by wish »

We paid a skilled contractor for a top of the line Trane several years ago. Same litany of problems...total labor expense eventually cost about 80% of the original cost. Last year we paid a premium to get a Carrier. Done with Trane.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

In the drive for improved energy efficiency, we've gone from simple relay/switch controlled motors to complex computerized inverters which are unique to a given A/C system model, thus single sourced and expensive when they fail. Additionally, whereas the old relay and motor setups were very tolerant of voltage spikes, the same cannot be said of all the newer technology electronics. Since installed price tends to be king, when faced with the increased cost for this additional technology, the Mfgr's have cheapened things that should be bullet proof like motors and coils. What the consumer see's is a less reliable system compared to 20 years ago.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Our little subdivision had Trane units for all the homes when new.

We replaced the first set of units (2 heat pumps) early as the electric company had some nice rebates, and higher SEER ratings were available. Plus our credit union had a HELOC at 2%. No brainer.

One unit failed and was replaced a couple of years ago. At the time the Trane units were the recommendation from Consumer Reports. We went with American Standard, the better line of Trane (same company).

The other unit is 17 years old, still going strong. I wonder how long it will last. But it made it thru another hot summer.

I will definitely replace the 17 year old unit with American Standard when I replace it. I'm willing to be proactive to replace the unit, as I know it will fail on the hottest weekend of the summer when we have a house full of company.

A couple of folks replaced their units with Goodman, and haven't been satisfied.

We have used the same HVAC company for many years. Very honest thus far. We have the twice a year inspection, and if they see something they are good about saying nothing required at the time, but might need addressing later. So they don't look for reasons to do something just because they are at our house.

In Florida you want to have good AC units. Good AC makes everyone happy. Kinda like having a water heater replaced before it blows.

Broken Man 1999

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

You are scaring me. My trane system is 3 years old now.

I think it’s true that just 1 or 2 companies actually make all of the brands now.

I’m not sure what happened in your case, but that sucks. They say using a good installer is the most important thing. But it’s hard to believe that even a terrible installer would explain the problems you have had.

I don’t know what to say, except, I’m sorry you’ve had these problems.....
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

Keep in mind that A/C manufacturers don't actually manufacture very much. Probably the housing, condenser and coil. Everything else is manufactured by someone else and assembled by the A/C manufacturer.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

For my hvac there was a class action, but it didn't (quite) apply to my model - but mine had the same problems. I would guess that maybe if everyone experienced the same problem there would be a class action, so if there isn't... maybe just bad luck. Definitely units don't seem to be as long-lasting as they used to be, but of course are more efficient now.
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

The installers make a big difference too.
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

I've heard from multiple people that the installation is the biggest factor in whether there are ongoing problems or not.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

RetiredAL wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:55 pm In the drive for improved energy efficiency, we've gone from simple relay/switch controlled motors to complex computerized inverters which are unique to a given A/C system model, thus single sourced and expensive when they fail. Additionally, whereas the old relay and motor setups were very tolerant of voltage spikes, the same cannot be said of all the newer technology electronics. Since installed price tends to be king, when faced with the increased cost for this additional technology, the Mfgr's have cheapened things that should be bullet proof like motors and coils. What the consumer see's is a less reliable system compared to 20 years ago.
I’m afraid you’re on to something here...
fortunefavored

Re: Trane HVAC - Bad Experience...same here

Post by fortunefavored »

wish wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:54 pm We paid a skilled contractor for a top of the line Trane several years ago. Same litany of problems...total labor expense eventually cost about 80% of the original cost. Last year we paid a premium to get a Carrier. Done with Trane.
My new Carrier system (mid-range) died at 3 years. I think all appliance related things are just poor quality these days, for a litany of reasons. I've bumped up my "appliance replacement" budget appropriately.
bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard »

Not to diminish your disappointment, but you can’t write off an entire brand based on one unit. That’s like having a few repairs on a Camry , and saying don’t buy Toyota.

I’ve had decent luck with Lennox . I had three carriers, two self destructing around 12-15 years age, and one going strong at 22 years old.
Ged

Post by Ged »

I have had a Carrier HVAC system for about 15 years. Zero problems. The installer's electrician has become our go-to person for recommendation of other contractors. I had them install a Mitsubishi mini-split in my garage as well. Again no problems.

My brother has a Trane that is about 5 years old. We were very careful to pick a good installer for that as well. Zero problems.

The installer really does matter a lot. Also - good installers won't install bad equipment. Brand name is not the most important thing - each brand has good and less good models in their product line.
Topic Author
like2read

Post by like2read »

Kenkat wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:47 pm
RetiredAL wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:55 pm In the drive for improved energy efficiency, we've gone from simple relay/switch controlled motors to complex computerized inverters which are unique to a given A/C system model, thus single sourced and expensive when they fail. Additionally, whereas the old relay and motor setups were very tolerant of voltage spikes, the same cannot be said of all the newer technology electronics. Since installed price tends to be king, when faced with the increased cost for this additional technology, the Mfgr's have cheapened things that should be bullet proof like motors and coils. What the consumer see's is a less reliable system compared to 20 years ago.
OP here. The owner of the HVAC company, when out replacing the compressor, voiced a very similar observation. He also said that it is for this reason that he doesn't push the more expensive, complex, higher SEER units.

Anyone use a whole house surge suppressor to guard against voltage spikes that could impact an HVAC unit?

l2r
Last edited by like2read on Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
mgensler

Post by mgensler »

like2read wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:13 pm
Kenkat wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:47 pm
OP here. The owner of the HVAC company, when out replacing the compressor, voiced a very similar observation. He also said, that it is for this reason that he doesn't push the more expensive, complex, higher SEER units.

Anyone use a whole house surge suppressor to guard against voltage spikes that could impact an HVAC unit?

l2r
We have a surge protector on our condenser and on the main inside. It's in FL at the beach, so lots of lightning storms. In six years we haven't had an issue. Three years ago we replaced the units with Trane Two stage condensers. So far no repairs needed.
brianH

Post by brianH »

Yes, whole house surge protectors are a good idea in general, and cheap insurance. The most recent electrical code now requires them, so they aren't just smoke-and-mirrors.

When I recently had a mini split installed, the HVAC contractor installed another surge protection unit (basically a whole house model) at the mini's outdoor disconnect. He said he's seen enough of these units with issues from surges.
Designairohio

Post by Designairohio »

Look at Rheem,
I have sold and installed just about every make of furnace and ac, the big 3 Lennox, Trane and Carrier/Bryant are ok but not any better than anything else on the market,
Rheem doesn’t change their designs just to change them like the others do, You can buy a heat exchanger for a 30 year old 80% Rheem gas furnace that is the same as the one in a new furnace, they also make Fujitsu furnaces and condensers and Rudd also.

I have also installed Goodman and Amanda equipment that are going on 25 years old.

If sized and installed properly, and properly maintained most will last and be trouble free.

There are many corners that can be cut on installation day that don’t show up right away.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

We installed our Trane unit almost nine years ago next month. Haven't had a single service call in that time frame. Like others said, we had a top notch person install it and I clean the outside unit every spring and regularly clean the inside filter.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

Consider requiring a transferrable manufacturer's 10-year a Parts + labor warranty in the quotes you receive. We purchased this for a few hundred dollars when we installed our current system.

This system (2 zones) has had 4 evaporator coil failures (2 in each zone), one compressor failure and one air mover failure within 10 years of installation! Repairs were zero cost to us, including Freon. We are in year 12 since it was installed. Compressors have a lifetime warranty - we would pay for labor and Freon only after year 10 (~$750).

My priority for our next system will be a similar comprehensive manufacturer's warranty and the installing company's local reputation, rather than lowest cost or equipment manufacturer.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

like2read wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:58 pm Based on our recent experience, my opinion and personal advice is avoid Trane.

I honestly don't know what brand I would purchase if we had to purchase again; they are all the same, right? I did a ton of research prior to selecting Trane and I was convinced they were the most reliable. Perhaps they were at some point.

Within four years of original date of installation we have had 3 major repair issues on our Trane XR14 A/C. Replaced: motor module, evaporator coil and compressor. Three separate issues, three separate service calls. Over $1300 in total repair costs. We had more failures on a 2 to 4 year old new unit than we had on the previous equipment over 8 years. And, those 8 years of use were over years 15 to 23 of the old Carrier AC.

Only good news is that Trane honored their 10 warranty and covered the costs of replacement parts. Bad news is we had to pay labor and a good portion of the cost to recharge refrigerant. (Installation company was kind enough to eat some of the costs of refrigerant).

l2r
My buddy who works as a HVAC tech told me to avoid Trane. He said they were once good, but now they're not. He said I would be good to go with a simple unit from Costco. He told me to avoid super efficient units as they're expensive to maintain and hard to find techs to fix.
misterlucky

Post by misterlucky »

Any opinions on Mitsubishi Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) heat pump units? They don't have to start up with at full speed when the thermostat calls for heat or cooling. I don't have one but am just starting to research.

Looks like Mitsub. and Trane are working together! "...Formed in 2018, Mitsubishi Electric (METUS) is a leading provider of ductless and VRF systems in the United States. A 50 percent – 50 percent joint venture between Trane Technologies and Mitsubishi Electric US, Inc."
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Questions on Designairohio and TexasPE comments.

Designairohio - Currently have 17 year old 2.5 ton Carrier package unit (natural gas) that has been serviced every spring and fall. Only major failure on it was heat exchanger replacement late in year nine and was under parts warranty. Am considering a 2.5 ton Rheem as replacement when time comes, but am unsure whether to go with 14 SEER single stage or step up to a 16 SEER two stage product.

TexasPE - Couldn't agree more with having a 10-year parts and labor warranty included in the pricing. Rheem I believe only comes with their standard 5-year warranty and am not sure at this point if it includes labor. If the parts dollars doesn't get you, the labor dollars sure will!

Anything else to look for ? :idea:
Tom D.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

palaheel wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:11 pm I've heard from multiple people that the installation is the biggest factor in whether there are ongoing problems or not.
That’s what I’ve heard too.

But I would think it’s still possible to get a “lemon” as well.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
J295

Post by J295 »

One experience isn’t meaningful to draw reliable conclusions

Guess you just wanted to “vent.” 😃
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

OP - Another thing to be taken into consideration when selecting a new unit is the readily availability of parts. My HVAC guy sells only brands that he knows have a great availability of parts locally when they are needed. Just like some appliances in your home that need repair, they may be priced well, but what good are they when they break down and parts are not readily available because the products are from outside the US!
Tom D.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

like2read wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:58 pm Based on our recent experience, my opinion and personal advice is avoid Trane.

l2r
Does that reflect an issue with one unit, one model, or the entire manufacturer company? Or was there an installation deficiency, such as over pressurization or contaminants introduced into the system? A diagnosis of why it failed would be needed.

Also note that Trane and American Standard brands are the same products, and have equivalent models between the brands. In fact, the models roll off the assembly lines (Trenton NJ and Tyler TX) and the branding (Trane/Am Std) with appropriate model names are attached before they go in the box. Manuals don't mention the brand or common model name, just the model numbers without the A or T prefix.

That said, Consumer Reports indicates a difference in "reliability" between these two brands. That could mean the sample sizes are too low for comparisons, that the sample sizes reflect different model populations, or some other reason. At any rate, it makes it difficult to determine meaningful conclusions from a magazine article.
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

Installed a new Trane to replace an 18 year old Carrier over the summer that was still running great but can no longer be serviced with freon. Within a month the motor module had to be replaced. Our tech says the new units are more finicky due to the electronics and the failure was probably caused by a power surge. We installed a dedicated HVAC surge protector and everything has been smooth since... knock on wood. Despite its touted efficiency and high SEER rating, the improvements haven’t manifested yet on our energy bill :annoyed
Designairohio

Post by Designairohio »

tomd37 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:18 pm Questions on Designairohio and TexasPE comments.

Designairohio - Currently have 17 year old 2.5 ton Carrier package unit (natural gas) that has been serviced every spring and fall. Only major failure on it was heat exchanger replacement late in year nine and was under parts warranty. Am considering a 2.5 ton Rheem as replacement when time comes, but am unsure whether to go with 14 SEER single stage or step up to a 16 SEER two stage product.

TexasPE - Couldn't agree more with having a 10-year parts and labor warranty included in the pricing. Rheem I believe only comes with their standard 5-year warranty and am not sure at this point if it includes labor. If the parts dollars doesn't get you, the labor dollars sure will!

Anything else to look for ? :idea:
Tomd37,
I think it depends where you live , how u use your ac and what style your house is.
If you live in a hot humid climate the 16 seer 2 stage would make sense, if you have a multi level home compared to a ranch the 2 stage may even out the temperatures between levels and dehumidify better to make the home feel more comfortable.
If you live in a moderate climate like here in Ohio, I have customers who only run the A/C when it gets to hot to sleep at night so the 14 seer would be plenty fine in that case.
Rheem does give 10 years Parts on residential products with on line registration
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Thanks Designairohio - We live in middle Tennessee and have a 27 year old, 2200 sq ft two-story home where half the lower floor is open to 18-foot ceilings upstairs. Summers here can be very hot and humid. June through September of 2019 saw 99 days of 90+ temperatures. Upstairs unit is a 3-ton Amana split system in the attic. As an older couple in mid-80s we keep a temperature of about 77 degrees year round and are very comfortable in all seasons. First to turn either air or heat on as may be needed by us. Good window system installed early 2019 replacing original 1993 installed wood builder windows.
Tom D.
Designairohio

Post by Designairohio »

tomd37 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:07 pm Thanks Designairohio - We live in middle Tennessee and have a 27 year old, 2200 sq ft two-story home where half the lower floor is open to 18-foot ceilings upstairs. Summers here can be very hot and humid. June through September of 2019 saw 99 days of 90+ temperatures. Upstairs unit is a 3-ton Amana split system in the attic. As an older couple in mid-80s we keep a temperature of about 77 degrees year round and are very comfortable in all seasons. First to turn either air or heat on as may be needed by us. Good window system installed early 2019 replacing original 1993 installed wood builder windows.
In you area I would probably go for the 2 stage 16 Seer for humidity control just be sure not to over size it or you won’t get the full effect
Veni Vidi Decessi

Post by Veni Vidi Decessi »

Like many other consumer products, HVAC is a race to the bottom. I chose the cheapest brand to replace mine ($3100 installed vs Trane at something like $4,800

The lower installed cost will pay for a lot of repairs even if the unit is less reliable. Given that most parts are manufactured by the same suppliers regardless of brand, I don’t think there will be much of a difference in reliability.

Pick your poison.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

palaheel wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:11 pm I've heard from multiple people that the installation is the biggest factor in whether there are ongoing problems or not.
Yep. a Goodman or Janitrol with a top-notch installation will outperform and be more reliable than a Carrier, Trane, or Lenox with a sub-par installation.

Of course, when we moved into our house, it had a "Night and Day" brand unit that had been recently installed by an idiot--the double whammy. We sold it for scrap before its third birthday. Replaced it with a well-installed Lenox (from a firm that has done two previous installs for us at other houses) that has run flawlessly for 7 years except for one switch that was replaced under warranty even though it had not fully failed yet.
Topic Author
like2read

Post by like2read »

Designairohio wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:21 pm Look at Rheem,
I have sold and installed just about every make of furnace and ac, the big 3 Lennox, Trane and Carrier/Bryant are ok but not any better than anything else on the market,
Rheem doesn’t change their designs just to change them like the others do, You can buy a heat exchanger for a 30 year old 80% Rheem gas furnace that is the same as the one in a new furnace, they also make Fujitsu furnaces and condensers and Rudd also.

I have also installed Goodman and Amanda equipment that are going on 25 years old.

If sized and installed properly, and properly maintained most will last and be trouble free.

There are many corners that can be cut on installation day that don’t show up right away.
OP here. Thanks Designairohio and all others who have replied.

One common reoccurring theme appears to be hiring someone to do a proper installation. Our installer had top notch reputational rating in Consumer Checkbook magazine.

l2r
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

like2read wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:13 pm Anyone use a whole house surge suppressor to guard against voltage spikes that could impact an HVAC unit?

l2r
Yes. I also have a cheap surge protector on the air handler outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AQAKRSS/
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Single-Su ... 00006BBAB/
Topic Author
like2read

Post by like2read »

brianH wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:19 pm
Yes, whole house surge protectors are a good idea in general, and cheap insurance. The most recent electrical code now requires them, so they aren't just smoke-and-mirrors.

When I recently had a mini split installed, the HVAC contractor installed another surge protection unit (basically a whole house model) at the mini's outdoor disconnect. He said he's seen enough of these units with issues from surges.
OP here. Thanks BrianH and Luke Duke.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Surge protector ???

Several comments already made about importance of surge protector on systems these days. Will a whole-house surge protector provide the protection alluded to in these posts? Recently had Generac whole-house generator installed and installing company said they don't install without the whole-house surge protector. One is now installed at the main box for the home.
Tom D.
Designairohio

Post by Designairohio »

“Our installer had top notch reputational rating in Consumer Checkbook magazine.”

You have to be careful of rating services, most of those services are in business to make a profit. even companies that are accredited with the BBB pay for that accreditation.
Word of mouth or calling an HVAC supply house and asking an employee who works at the counter servicing the contractors that come in daily is the best way to find someone credible.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Did some homework 5 years ago
Decided on a Rheem heat pump
5k installed
Couldn't be more pleased
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
GatorFL

Post by GatorFL »

Had a Trane installed 3 years ago. I had a 4 ton XR18 installed. This model is only 2 stages, but was advised by the installer that you get most of the benefit of multi-stage cooling without all the complicated technology of their multi-stage units. I like simple, they said it is much lower complexity, which I liked. I paired it up with the Hyperion air handler.

I bought the 10 year extended warranty. I never buy extended warranties, but they cost was reasonable and the installer admitted that newer coils just are not made the same. Copper is so expensive that they have reduced the wall thickness of the coils which leads to pinhole leaks. Sure enough, 1 year into it, the coil had to be replaced.

That is the only issue I have. I love the efficiency (save 20-25% on my electric bill), the even cooling. This unit replaced a 24 year old Trane.

I did extensive research on the specific unit, I think that really paid off. The service techs tell me they get many more calls on the XV units (higher end).

Gator
BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson »

I had a Trane installed in 2007. Back then it was rated high. Just required one $400 fix since 2007. I have the semi annual maintenance, and I was told the heating furnace can go for 30 years. The AC part tends to be replaced earlier. With my system, I can replace the AC system when that happens. I am super happy with it.
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Our repairman for a second home clearly told us to continue with a unit that was nearly 20 years old rather than replacing. The only thing he suggested was use of cheap filters rather than current high efficiency ones. Better parts in past.

Tim
oko

Post by oko »

like2read wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:58 pm
(Installation company was kind enough to eat some of the costs of refrigerant).
I really don't think they were kind. Did you pay like $2/pound? Because the whole sale is about $4/pound right now as far as I see.

I have 10 years labor warranty on my system and my "kind" installer who do warranty work charges $260 for first pound and $90 for the rest. So each "free" repair costs me like $500-$600 since refrigerant is "not included" in the warranty (most of my repairs needed refrigerant).

I feel like the whole A/C industry is turning into a scam.
tcassette

Post by tcassette »

Toons wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:42 pm Did some homework 5 years ago
Decided on a Rheem heat pump
5k installed
Couldn't be more pleased
:happy
What convinced you that Rheem was the best brand for you?
conservativeinvestor

Post by conservativeinvestor »

We have a trane that needed a lot of repairs early on as well. I think it's the XR13 model, it would be about 9 years old now. I don't remember all the exact repairs needed, but I know it needed a blower motor, capacitor, and something else that required a line replacement which they had to remove and then recharge the refrigerant. It seemed like about once a year we were having trouble with it. It's been ok for the last few years other than normal maintenance.

Thankfully the parts and labor were covered by the trane warranty and warranty through the installer. We had to pay the visit costs each time which we didn't mind once we saw what the total repair bill would have been out of pocket.

I also don't think I would pick trane again if we had to do it over but it was highly rated at the time we bought it.
Watty

Post by Watty »

like2read wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:58 pm Within four years of original date of installation we have had 3 major repair issues on our Trane XR14 A/C. Replaced: motor module, evaporator coil and compressor. Three separate issues, three separate service calls. Over $1300 in total repair costs. We had more failures on a 2 to 4 year old new unit than we had on the previous equipment over 8 years.
That is unreasonable and it is not like you were just the unlucky person how happened to have a rare problem.

You have nothing to lose by getting the corporate level Trane people involved when you have that many problems in four years. It was not with an HVAC system but once you get up the food chain some people have a lot of discretion to approve things that are not required by the warranty. The first thing I would do would be to figure out which VP the warranty service is under then write him or her a paper letter with the details and also copy the CEO. When you copy the CEO the VP will want to have an answer ready just in case the CEO asks the VP what is going on with it. The VP may very well hand it off to someone like the director of customer service but that is good since you will have even more people involved and they will all want to have a good answer if someone higher up asks about it.