Email Someone on Facebook

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DTalos

Email Someone on Facebook

Post by DTalos »

I noticed that each user on facebook has a unique URL to their profile page and it's usually their first and last name. Must I have a Facebook account in order to send a message to someone on Facebook, or can I simply type firstname.lastname@facebook.com to send the person an email?
stormswami

Re: Email Someone on Facebook

Post by stormswami »

It appears the direct email via Facebook is no longer an option based on a test I tried and what I briefly read online.
For a time, Facebook offered its own email service, giving people an @facebook.com email address that would send message to their Facebook accounts. After a while, the service was changed to forward messages to people's separate email addresses. Later, the service was discontinued entirely, so you will not be able to use a Facebook email address to contact anyone today.
from: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/send-em ... 45683.html
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Why not just open a Facebook account? That doesn't mean you have to use it.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I would not. Once you join Facebook, you’ve given them certain rights over your personal data even if you rarely use it.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 am I would not. Once you join Facebook, you’ve given them certain rights over your personal data even if you rarely use it.
You obviously don't give them your real name or data.
William4589

Post by William4589 »

You can open up a Facebook account with your real name and avoid giving them additional personal data. If you do input additional data just use the option to keep it private. Their messenger service is very good.

Avoid paranoia - there are most likely bigger fish to fry in this huge world. :)
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

William4589 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:06 am You can open up a Facebook account with your real name and avoid giving them additional personal data. If you do input additional data just use the option to keep it private. Their messenger service is very good.

Avoid paranoia - there are most likely bigger fish to fry in this huge world. :)
Clearly you are not familiar with how Facebook chases you all over the internet, showing you ads for things that you searched on Google. And they sell your data.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:08 am
William4589 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:06 am You can open up a Facebook account with your real name and avoid giving them additional personal data. If you do input additional data just use the option to keep it private. Their messenger service is very good.

Clearly you are not familiar with how Facebook chases you all over the internet, showing you ads for things that you searched on Google. And they sell your data.
Use something like Ad block plus and configure your browser to only allows first party cookies... (Facebook cookies on facebook.com, google on google, etc.)
Turn on do not tracK:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... ck-feature
and disable third party cookies:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/di ... ty-cookies
interwebopinion

Post by interwebopinion »

FB is breaking many things in this world. I think there are legitimate reasons to be concerned.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020 ... fix-itself
sciencewhiz

Post by sciencewhiz »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:08 am Clearly you are not familiar with how Facebook chases you all over the internet, showing you ads for things that you searched on Google. And they sell your data.
They will track you and sell your data regardless of whether you have a facebook account.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:08 am

Facebook is just a website, not the boogeyman.
If you allow third party cookies/trackers or don't use ad blockers, sure advertising targeting can be persistent, but that's true with any websites using cross platform advertising/tracking. You don't have to put any information on facebook, like any articles, or upload your photos.

Also if you are worried about Facebook, most definitely do not use Google. They are far more invasive with using/selling your data and monitoring your every move, on the website and beyond.