Items that are worth the money for the quality

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Tattarrattat

Re: Items that are worth the money for the quality

Post by Tattarrattat »

TallBoy29er wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:50 pm Mattress - About to pull the trigger on a Cal King Sleep EZ organic latex mattress. 10" (3 x 3" latex layers, two sides completely different layers/softness). Hoping for the best. If anyone has any wave-offs, let me know!!
3 layer latex mattresses are the best. Switched to one 15 years ago, won't sleep on anything else.
AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn »

mkc wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:01 pm
Lee_WSP wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:53 pm
Due to some recent education on the environmental impacts of teflon manufacturing, I've decided to switch to carbon steel myself. I bought De Buyer Mineral B. So far so good.
That's one I have considered, but am I recalling correctly the handles aren't oven-compatible?
Lee_WSP seems savvier than me on this stuff, so I'll cautiously add: Agree on teflon chemistry, environment. Our solution is cast iron. It's good enough for our nonstick needs, including eggs. But we've had it for 20 years. For the first 15 it wasn't good enough. The difference between 'factory seasoned' and 'really flat and seasoned' shocked me. If I were buying a new pan I'd buy a stack of sandpaper, an orbital sander, and polish that sucker.(*) And then reseason.

(*) In fact, I did this on the bottom so as to not scratch my fancy induction glass stove top (which I also love!). It worked well, working up to grits finer than 1000.
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

I have a carbon steel pan I have been using/seasoning for years. It's all blackeened and everything like it's supposed to be. Great for searing food, but it just isn't non-stick like the synthetic surfaces.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

AnonJohn wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:14 pm
mkc wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:01 pm
Lee_WSP wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:53 pm
Due to some recent education on the environmental impacts of teflon manufacturing, I've decided to switch to carbon steel myself. I bought De Buyer Mineral B. So far so good.
That's one I have considered, but am I recalling correctly the handles aren't oven-compatible?
Lee_WSP seems savvier than me on this stuff, so I'll cautiously add: Agree on teflon chemistry, environment. Our solution is cast iron. It's good enough for our nonstick needs, including eggs. But we've had it for 20 years. For the first 15 it wasn't good enough. The difference between 'factory seasoned' and 'really flat and seasoned' shocked me. If I were buying a new pan I'd buy a stack of sandpaper, an orbital sander, and polish that sucker.(*) And then reseason.

(*) In fact, I did this on the bottom so as to not scratch my fancy induction glass stove top (which I also love!). It worked well, working up to grits finer than 1000.
Cast iron is the usual replacement. Nothing wrong with it if you’re happy with it.

My personal quibbles are
Uneven heat
Extra heavy
Short handles
Can’t jump food in them
Not really good for anything requiring you to move the pan around

But they’re great in the oven and for searing one side of a steak at a time.

Just don’t pay more than lodge for one IMO
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Tattarrattat wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:13 pm
TallBoy29er wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:50 pm Mattress - About to pull the trigger on a Cal King Sleep EZ organic latex mattress. 10" (3 x 3" latex layers, two sides completely different layers/softness). Hoping for the best. If anyone has any wave-offs, let me know!!
3 layer latex mattresses are the best. Switched to one 15 years ago, won't sleep on anything else.
Agreed. Very customizable too. Only a few downsides, one of which is price.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Tattarrattat wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:15 pm I have a carbon steel pan I have been using/seasoning for years. It's all blackeened and everything like it's supposed to be. Great for searing food, but it just isn't non-stick like the synthetic surfaces.
The trick with any cookware and sticking is actually low heat. Under 350 degrees.
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

on the subject of cookware, a Le Creuset saucier pan is pretty much perfect. Expensive, and worth it.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

AnonJohn wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:14 pm Lee_WSP seems savvier than me on this stuff, so I'll cautiously add: Agree on teflon chemistry, environment. Our solution is cast iron. It's good enough for our nonstick needs, including eggs. But we've had it for 20 years. For the first 15 it wasn't good enough. The difference between 'factory seasoned' and 'really flat and seasoned' shocked me. If I were buying a new pan I'd buy a stack of sandpaper, an orbital sander, and polish that sucker.(*) And then reseason.

With induction, you can just layer butcher paper (or anything else really) between the stove top the pan, since the heating works by magnet rather than by direct contact. Also great for collecting splatter.

I do this when cooking with cast iron. But we don't use cast iron much because it is heavy and unwieldy (for the wife). And no matter how "easy" it is to season, unquestionably it is more of a faff to maintain lest the surface rusts.

Carbon steel is much similar to cast iron in many ways (high thermal mass, durable and oven proof, requires careful maintenance, not suited for acidic cooking, etc), but it's slightly lighter and smoother and a bit more indoor "appropriate.

We have a bit of everything, the plain cast iron, the enameled stuff, the debuyer pans, demeyere, etc.

None are perfect but the thing that comes closest to best overall is cladded stainless steel. You can't trick your way around the sticking. Sometimes the cooking demands a flash of high temperature, so doing anything else is inappropriate. For gentler cooking a very thick aluminum vessel with non-stick coating (there are only few providers of the coating) gets 2nd most use in the household.
nick evets

Post by nick evets »

Lee_WSP wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:13 pm
Cruise wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:07 pm
phinanciallyfit wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:01 pm ...and a professional grade knife sharpener.
Can you recommend one and a source? Thanks.
Wicked edge is the only fully “automated” system that actually works well in my opinion. However, it’s absolutely not worth the cost. Cheaper options are crock sticks like the spyderco system.

However, you’re probably better off with buying an inexpensive ceramic honing rod the ones that look like knife steels .

A a contrary data point, I'd suggest abandoning all of the various crock-sticks, "V"-type pull through, and all the other gimmicks, and buy a large two-sided whetstone (say 1000/6000 grit) on Amazon. Learn to 'raise a burr' and with some practice, you'll have kitchen (and other) knives that are truly shaving sharp.

On the subject of things that are worth their cost: Miele vacuum cleaners.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

my knife sharpener is called "lorenzo" and he owns the local cutlery shop.

most people who dont want to work on a whetstone at home, just find a specialized knife shop. they'll know how to treat your blades. only need to do it once or twice a year to grind a new edge. the rest of the time, use a honing steel to *maintain* the edge.
hudson

Post by hudson »

nick evets wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:56 am large two-sided whetstone (say 1000/6000 grit) on Amazon. Learn to 'raise a burr' and with some practice, you'll have kitchen (and other) knives that are truly shaving sharp.
nick evets,
I think that you are onto something. I can sharpen on a stone good enough to cut paper, but I've never gotten shaving sharp.
Raising the burr must be the secret.... I'm in the process of watching this video that addresses "raising the burr"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDCJzDLobXc
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

BarbBrooklyn wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:26 pm Merrell hiking boots.
I walked in Merrell Moab Ventilators two times on el Camino de Santiago (different pairs) and use now for local walks during COVID.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

bagle wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:56 am Pilot V5 rollerball pens
Mine are Pilot P-500 extra fine pens.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
nick evets

Post by nick evets »

hudson wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:18 am
nick evets wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:56 am large two-sided whetstone (say 1000/6000 grit) on Amazon. Learn to 'raise a burr' and with some practice, you'll have kitchen (and other) knives that are truly shaving sharp.
nick evets,
I think that you are onto something. I can sharpen on a stone good enough to cut paper, but I've never gotten shaving sharp.
Raising the burr must be the secret.... I'm in the process of watching this video that addresses "raising the burr"

Glanced at it and it seems pretty technical! I like this one, though it's the typical YouTube 'personality type': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWYIU1L_8vA.

I'm certainly no expert, but over decades I've always had knives that ranged from dull to sharp using various tools, but never "OMG" sharp. There was definitely a learning curve with the whetstone - at first my knives were *less* sharp, or barely more sharp. Then once I learned to raise a burr, which is just a feel, practice thing learning to hold the correct angle consistently....watch out.

As a quick anecdote, we've all heard the saying, 'a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one,' which is probably true. However, really sharp kitchen knives forgive *nothing*, and what might be a slight nick or less, can be a significant laceration as my wife as discovered. :(
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

Aldi knockoff girl scout cookies. More yummy than the real ones. And far far cheaper.

Tap water vs bottled. If you need cleaner water, get a faucet or pitcher filter.

1-2 year old cars & phones. Saves a ton of money over time.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

ScubaHogg wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:34 am
wander wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:50 am Education is worth the money for me.
With the internet virtually all education can be free to a motivated individual.

Credentialing is expensive though.
Formal education is not only credentials. It provides access to a peer group and applies pressure that are essential for achieving the results.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

teniralc wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:20 pm Osprey luggage and backpacks
https://www.osprey.com/us/en/customer-s ... -guarantee
On el Camino de Santiago I used Osprey Tempest 40 with about 22-25 lb load, depending on the amount of food and water I had. This was the best backpack to fit the contour of my spine.

Victoria
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:34 am I walked in Merrell Moab Ventilators two times on el Camino de Santiago (different pairs) and use now for local walks during COVID.
I go through one pair of Moabs about every 5 years. Great shoes.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Valisure Pharmacy, https://www.valisure.com/ - I started using them after reading Katherine Eban's book "Bottle of Lies" that exposes the low quality control in the pharmaceutical industry. Valisure tests every batch of the medications and supplements they offer.

Peter Attia's site, https://peterattiamd.com/podcast/ - you can listen to his podcasts free, but there is a lot of detailed information provided in the notes access to which requires subscription. Attia's podcast guests are some of the best physicians and researchers, and so you get a wide variety of opinions.

Farnam Street site, https://fs.blog/knowledge-project/ - podcasts are free, but the site subscription provides access to podcast transcripts and the Learning Community. The community has members from all over the world and I am continuously learning new information.

Victoria
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:51 am
With the internet virtually all education can be free to a motivated individual.

... applies pressure that are essential for achieving the results.

Victoria
Thus I said a “motivated individual.” :sharebeer

The relatively poor 6 year graduation rates within higher ed as a whole cast some doubt on the value of the “pressure” applied
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

ScubaHogg wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:54 am

Victoria

The relatively poor 6 year graduation rates within higher ed as a whole cast some doubt on the value of the “pressure” applied
Yes, I saw "motivated individual" in your message. The most motivated person I know is Scott H. Young who has completed an MIT Computer Science degree on his own, in one year. HOWEVER:
- Young is an exception, not a rule.
- Young already had a business degree when he started his "MIT Challenge" project.
- Young is a blogger on topics related to learning, https://www.scotthyoung.com/ , and some of his motivation came from writing in his blog about the MIT Challenge. After he has completed the Challenge he gained credibility as a blogger.

Here is my example. My motivation is above average. I have two Master's degrees and various licenses and certifications. Nevertheless, I am more motivated by structured, paid-for learning than going without any constraints. For example, I am acquiring CISSP CPEs because I want to maintain my certification, and I maintain the certification because it forces me to attend cyber security events.

Victoria
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a post on the previous page.

As I noted earlier, further debate of "Mac" vs. "PC" (a.k.a. an "OS war") is not permitted in this thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:27 am
ScubaHogg wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:54 am

Victoria

Yes, I saw "motivated individual" in your message. The most motivated person I know is Scott H. Young who has completed an MIT Computer Science degree on his own, in one year. HOWEVER:
Very cool! Good for him!

I read a quote from Elon Musk talking about how Tesla would hire anyone who completed all the open MIT Machine Learning courseware. That indeed someone who “hacked” the system like that would in many ways impress Tesla more than a traditional student
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

hudson wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:18 am
nick evets,

Shaving sharp requires either extremely good/master skills and a 1,000/2,000 grit stone, or reasonably good skills and a 4,000 grit stone. And even then, you wouldn't actually want to shave with it compared to a truly shave ready straight razor.

Either way, sharpening on stones is a skillset that some/most people just aren't terribly interested in mastering. If you want to spend the time to do it, absolutely, a DMT 6" Extra Fine or EEF is an inexpensive starter stone. Touch ups are a lot easier than putting a new bevel on an edge.
ByThePond

Post by ByThePond »

Sailor fountain pens
Snow Peak Titanium camping gear
Just about anything L L Bean
bhough

Post by bhough »

San Antonio Shoes (SAS). They look like old people shoes, but if you have plantar fasciitis, you can wear them all day without an insert and feel great.
b
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Formal education is not only credentials. It provides access to a peer group and applies pressure that are essential for achieving the results.

Victoria
I know some people are highly organized and self motivated, but personally I found the structure, planned pacing, peer interactions, and opportunities to ask the instructor clarifying questions were of extremely high value.

Cheap, self-directed education didn't start with the internet, though. For as much as most of us complained about the cost of textbooks, they're a small fraction of the total cost, especially if you are not subject the whims of a professor who undermines the used textbook market by mandating the latest version regardless of whether there is any meaningful improvement in the content.
ragabnh

Post by ragabnh »

Lexus LX 570
BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream »

Name-brand Hot-dogs ..... and toilet paper.
3of10

Post by 3of10 »

Rogue Exercise equipment - Top tier quality (made in USA).
Zojirushi Rice Cooker
Germ-x hand sanitizer - Maybe it's just me, but it's the only hand sanitizer that I want to use.
Costco's rotisserie chicken
Mobile 1 oil
"You don't stop playing because you're old. You're old because you've stopped playing"
novolog

Post by novolog »

Normchad wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:36 pm DarnTough socks. Guaranteed for life! I will never pay for socks again as long as I live!
Love these socks. They are more durable than smartwool in my experience.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Musical instruments.
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

EGO lawn mower. Cuts as good as a gas mower, but the convenience of “starting” and no gas or oil to deal with makes it well worth the slight premium. And the telescoping and folding handle is fantastic.
Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem »

Rogue exercise equipment
Darn Tough socks (hiking and running)
Osprey Packs
Allen Edmonds Shoes
K&N Filters (where appropriate)
Good Tires
Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller
Big Green Egg Grill and grilling accessories
Whatever mattress works for you (at any price).
LG OLED TV
Custom Suits
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Chihuly Marigold Persian glass, https://www.chihuly.com/shop/marigold-persian
Handmade live edge black walnut console table and desk
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Toilet paper and paper towels.
phinanciallyfit

Post by phinanciallyfit »

Cruise wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:07 pm
phinanciallyfit wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:01 pm ...and a professional grade knife sharpener.
Can you recommend one and a source? Thanks.
We have an older version of this and have been happy with it. I chose it based on cook's illustrated reviews or American test kitchen... one of those places. https://chefschoice.com/
phinanciallyfit

Post by phinanciallyfit »

mak1277 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:06 pm
phinanciallyfit wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:57 am
Normchad wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:36 pm DarnTough socks. Guaranteed for life! I will never pay for socks again as long as I live!
I didn't know they had a guarantee! I have some and they all got holes in them the first year of owning them. May need to look into this.
That's crazy...do you have moths? I've hiked hundreds and hundreds of miles in my DarnTough and I still can't wear through them.
Nope, no moths. I have many other wool socks that I have had for longer (smartwool and rei brand), and Ella's wool clothing for my daughters and none of those have holes in them. Just my single pair of darn tough socks.
Orbuculum Nongata

Post by Orbuculum Nongata »

Potential - distraction = performance.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

A lot of enthusiasts consider the Gulfstream V worth the money for the quality of the aircraft.

But they sure cost a lot!
alexp

Post by alexp »

Cutco knives
Northface and Patagonia outerwear
Good speakers (I favor Definitive Technology)

-Alex
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

I just got reminded me of the single best $3,000 I ever spent: Lasik.

I cannot even begin to describe how much better my life is since getting the surgery. Best of all, I kept the receipt, so someday I'll get that money back from my HSA after a couple decades of tax free growth.
Oilcans

Post by Oilcans »

Right Guard Sport Original Deodorant Aerosal 8.5 oz can! WOW. 8-)
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

mkc wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:10 pm
Also enjoying the cookware discussion. Have LeCreuset and some beloved Griswold cast iron, but am close to needing replacements for the old Calphalon saucepans and toying with the idea of trying a carbon steel skillet.
Calphalon has a lifetime warranty. I recently returned to the factory a set that had started to show its age with wear and scrapes. We paid to ship the set back, and we received an entire new 10-piece set in return. It did take 3 months, but we received a replacement $400+ set for a $100 shipping bill.
noraz123

Post by noraz123 »

We bought our last two mattresses from Sleep EZ and have been very happy with the price and quality.
deserat

Post by deserat »

Victoria
+1 - although I don't think everyone should go to 'college' and there are options that allow for vocational exposure and career progression which allow the possibility of formal education to move up the ladder: many healthcare technicians, nursing, biomedical engineering technicians, etc.... one can start out with the 'wrench' and then decide to either progress that way or move into the formal education route (engineering, medicine, business, etc)
LuigiLikesPizza

Post by LuigiLikesPizza »

Perhaps an outdated concept, but I recall when applying for college, that higher education was considered a path for developing advanced critical thinking and problem solving skills well beyond just the subject matter....as well, a way to acquire common knowledge of sciences, arts and humanities.

I suppose that's a luxury now, lol i
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

Old Guy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:28 pm Chihuly Marigold Persian glass, https://www.chihuly.com/shop/marigold-persian
Handmade live edge black walnut console table and desk
Oklahoma City's art museum has a permanent collection of Chihuly glass which is their pride and joy. A very large piece is in the multi-story foyer.

https://www.okcmoa.com/collection/dale-chihuly-glass/
wahnfried

Post by wahnfried »

Would agree on education
My wife
Wabi single speed bicycle
Mercedes Benz cars
NYT subscription
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:19 am
Other than cars, why would anyone care about resale values of consumer items? They’re bought to consume to zero worth.
Not necessarily. Maybe this is a special case, but there is an active market in used instruments and musical gear, even with consumer-level stuff. Also, the line between amateur/consumer and professional level can be pretty blurry.