Items that are worth the money for the quality

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wander

Re: Items that are worth the money for the quality

Post by wander »

Education is worth the money for me.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

You sure can. Only 1 problem - IT'S WINDOWS !!
oldfort wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:28 pm
marshall wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:14 pm Apple MacBook Pro
Definitely not. You can get the same performance, in terms of graphics card, processor, and RAM, cheaper in a Windows machine.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

mancich wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:46 am
Dottie57 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:52 pm
oldfort wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:48 pm
inverter wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:31 pm Filson. All-Clad pots & good cast iron. Good shoes.

Definitely not. You can get the same performance, in terms of graphics card, processor, and RAM, cheaper in a Windows machine.
Yes but you’re assuming you are just paying for the hardware, and not the better software, ease of use, etc.
Ease of use is subjective.
I agree with marshall. I’ve used HP , Lenovo and HP through work - high end developer machines. Mac is better.

I just don't see it. I have an 8 year old Dell XPS desktop. It has never given me an issue, and Windows 10 (previously Windows 8.1) has never crashed. Never. I don't understand what is so difficult about using a Windows machine. Further, Office 365 is far superior to its Mac cousin. Hard to justify $2,000+ for a Macbook Pro when you can get a very good Windows laptop for less than half that amount. At least to me. :sharebeer
I am a PC guy and I see it, after my wife gifted me a Macbook pro.

Don't get me wrong - it sucks for gaming (the library, not the hardware) and still has its annoyance, particularly with the closed Apple ecosystem not playing well with PC-android, but even I have to admit it's a far superior and more seamless experience, particularly for the non-diehards computer folks who aren't skilled with troubleshooting. For the most part, it 'just works' - but yes, at the cost of interOS operability and other limitations that the typical user likely won't ever notice. And buying one is a lot easier too - even their lowest end products are top notch performance AND build.

This is coming from someone who is an Android user on phone, and is planning to purchase a PC gaming rig in the near future, so I'm not a Mac fanboy. I could care less about boosting it just because it's Mac.

A lot folks who criticize Mac have literally never used one in the last 7 years.
wander

Post by wander »

Ubuntu (or Fedora ... linux based OS) is worth the money. Even better, it is free. You can use the hardware that is no longer adequate for Windows.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Starbucks coffee by the bag, Brooks or New Balance higher end shoes, Michelin tires, Brooks Brothers dress shirts, LL Bean slippers, Apple iphone, Addidas/Nike/UA athletic apparel.
margaritaville

Post by margaritaville »

L82GAME wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:12 am +1 on Allen Edmonds dress shoes and boots. Made in the USA and resoleable.
+2 on Allen Edmonds. They hit the sweet spot on the quality/comfort vs. price continuum.

For me, Stressless recliners are worth paying a premium for due to their superb comfort and build quality. I agree with whoever said it's worth paying for quality on items you use every day.
TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 »

Apple products (and yes I have tried other brands)

Toyota vehicle

Hyatt hotels

clothing made of bamboo fabric

good coffee and tea
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Toyota cars/trucks
MacBook Pro
iPhone
Sketchers Shoes
Pelikan Fountain Pens
Yamaha ATV/UTV's
Tokaido "Gi's" from Japan
John Deere
Kona Coffee Peaberry Beans shipped straight from the Kona Plantations.
Quality Camera Gear

j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Apple trifecta (Macbook Pro + iPhone + iPad)
All Clad cookware
Le Creuset cookware
Briggs & Riley luggage
Lagavulin Scotch whisky
Miele vacuum
Kitchen Aid coffee grinder
Wusthof knives
Brass Beds of Virginia
Zero gravity recliners
Iberian ham
jdb

Post by jdb »

I like made in USA quality.
Boye knives
Sperry Gold Cup made in Maine boat shoes
Stormy Kromer all wool vest
Tesla vehicles
Last edited by jdb on Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I never skimp on shoes or wine. Not always expensive but I never sacrifice quality for price.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Carguy85 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:34 am
Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:43 am Toyota/Lexus vehicles.
+1 Interesting that they don’t really cost any more than “comparable” vehicles.
Maybe less. My good friend has a babied 2015 MiniCooper that went out of warranty earlier this year. The car has already cost over $1000 in repairs. Yet my son's 2014 Corolla, that only gets the bare minimum maintenance and has more miles has never had a repair (keeping fingers crossed). Anecdotal, I know, but still.. And the resale value of the Corolla, even at this heavily depreciated point 7 years old, is a much higher percentage of the new car price versus the Mini.
Last edited by Leesbro63 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

inverter wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:31 pm Filson. All-Clad pots & good cast iron. Good shoes.
Yes but you’re assuming you are just paying for the hardware, and not the better software, ease of use, etc.
I agree with marshall. I’ve used HP , Lenovo and HP through work - high end developer machines. Mac is better.

We switched from Windows machines (Dell & HP) to Macbooks a few years ago and I would never go back. Well worth the cost difference in my mind.
midareff

Post by midareff »

+1 to subjective
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

JoeRetire wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:49 am
newguy123 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:57 pm I personally don’t mind paying more for things if the quality is good and lasts a lifetime or has a lifetime guarantee. An example of this is north face jackets or sweaters or backpacks. I have had 2 north face back packs fail on me and both were taken by the north face store and a new backpack sent back. What other brands do you not mind paying more for and are good quality and backed by an unbeatable warranty ?
They may be a good brand, but North Face jackets have only a limited warranty.

"The North Face® lifetime warranty covers manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship, regardless of the age of the product, but it does not cover normal wear and tear. Wear and tear is damage that naturally and inevitably occurs as a result of normal use."

I used to prefer LL Bean products due to their lifetime warranty. But the old warranty no longer exists.

I'm still willing to pay more for a few LL Bean items. But there are very few brands that I'd pay a lot more for.
At my age "lasts a lifetime" isn't as good a deal as it was when I was younger! :wink:
Patagonia clothing. My closets are full of them; they don't wear out. We have items from 40(?) years ago that are still going strong. They will also replace or fix anything they sold you, forever, no hassle. Had a 70's rain jacket with a liner that started flaking (after 40 years). I was in the Boston store and showed it to the clerk. I was told to pick a replacement, no cost limit. I walked out with it that day at no charge.

My only nit to pick is that they no longer offer the wonderful colors from the early days. Today's reds and yellows are good, but don't compare to yesteryear. I have several baggie shorts or longs from the 80s. I had one on in the pool and a guy came over and asked how long I'd had the color. He was also a Patagonia aficionado and recognized it as a heritage color!
prairieman

Post by prairieman »

Apple products
Toyota cars
Merrell shoes
AirB&B vacations
“As long as the roots are not severed, all is well.” Chauncey Gardner
Horton

Post by Horton »

Lindt over Hershey
catlady

Post by catlady »

Apple products
Vitamix blender
Zojirushi rice cooker
Excalibur dehydrator
Shun knives
Miele vacuum
Peloton bike
Sleep number mattress
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Wife and I both use Mac's for work (that's what's provided by employer), we have PC/Android for personal use. Wife prefers the usability and ecosystem of Apple, but she's had a pair of Macbooks that have been total headaches and she had to make a special request to get an Android as her work phone after she had issues with two Iphones in a row. She's in tech and very tech savvy (far more than I). This is a never-ending debate; anecdotally we've had far more reliability issues with Apple products, but everybody has their own experiences.

I almost always buy the cheapest thing I think can do the job and only move up when the cheaper product doesn't last; that very rarely happens. I do like higher-end trail shoes, but I always manage to find them for budget prices. I do have some name brand exercise/fitness and outdoor equipment, but most of it I found on clearance. My wife, she's a simple gal, but conditioner and deodorant; no budget stuff in her hair or under her arms.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

newguy123 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:57 pm I personally don’t mind paying more for things if the quality is good and lasts a lifetime or has a lifetime guarantee. An example of this is north face jackets or sweaters or backpacks. I have had 2 north face back packs fail on me and both were taken by the north face store and a new backpack sent back. What other brands do you not mind paying more for and are good quality and backed by an unbeatable warranty ?
My wife, i really don't want to replace her.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

MillennialFinance19 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:42 am
willthrill81 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:26 pm
inverter wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:31 pmAll-Clad pots & good cast iron.
+1 on the All Clad. We replaced all of our cookware with it this year and absolutely love it.

I'd say that anything that you use on a daily basis where there is a substantial improvement in quality is worth quite a lot of money. The same goes for anything that your health and safety can hinge on (e.g. good food, well made firearms).

Lifetime costs should be the focus of those who with the financial means to choose. Often, spending more upfront reduces lifetime costs, though this is not always the case.
All clad all the way! We’ve had our set since 13’ and are very happy.

I'm interested in knowing more about your "All Clad" cookware. I googled the brand.....looks like stainless, hard anodize, non-stick?

What we use often: small 10-12" fry pan for frying eggs/sausage. 6 qt with cover for larger meals.

Any suggestions for making omellettes?

Most of our cookware has been the cheap stuff from TJ Max etc. Would really like to invest in some quality cookware!
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

Waterford T-1900 touring bicycle (made in the USA)
Bike Friday folding touring bicycle
Wool biking jerseys
Ortlieb panniers
Leatherman folding knives
Showers Pass rain gear
High quality (Pearl Izumi, Garneau) biking shorts
Aftershox bluetooth headphones (bone conduction)
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

Why is something that fails on you a good thing? I prefer a warranty I don't need to use. Like my 70K+ mile Mazda that has had no unscheduled maintenance.

Apple vs. PC arguments bore me to tears.

Lake Champlain chocolates
Feetures socks
lab grown diamonds
timboktoo

Post by timboktoo »

I have found that Scotch tape is something I prefer to buy rather than the store brand that Target sells specifically. I spent a few Christmases regretting buying the cheaper tape before finally throwing it out and buying a better one.

- Tim
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Many, but not all, Apple products.

Patagonia Nano puff jacket.

Patagonia in general.

Zojirushi travel mug. I’ve left one on my dash in the sun, and there was still ice in it the next day.

Salsa Marrakesh touring bike.

Ortlieb panniers.

Global knives.

Stumptown coffee beans. There are others as good, but they are local, artisanal brands.

La Pavoni espresso machine. We have had many. They all eventually break in some way that can’t be repaired. The Pavoni is the one that’s held up over time.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
dixdak

Post by dixdak »

newguy123 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:57 pm I personally don’t mind paying more for things if the quality is good and lasts a lifetime or has a lifetime guarantee. An example of this is north face jackets or sweaters or backpacks. I have had 2 north face back packs fail on me and both were taken by the north face store and a new backpack sent back.
Actually, if I had two items fail that should be designed for a lifetime of robust use, I would not put them into a category of worth the money for quality.
When our sons entered middle school, we bought them LL Bean daypacks to use for book bags. All three of the packs absorbed brutal abuse all through middle and high school, and then four years of college. They aren't pretty, but still functional. I have purchased five Osprey packs with no issues whatsoever. The only pack I ever returned was the ULA Circuit which was ill fitting, poorly designed except for the hip belt, expensive, and no free return shipping which ended up being 15% of the cost of the pack.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Macbook Pro: Expensive.
Not having to use Windows: Priceless.
framus

Post by framus »

Apple everything
Patagonia clothing
Rivendell Bicycles
yules

Post by yules »

The correct answer is anything that you need for protection, like insurance, car breaks, home security system, or condoms.

There’s a lot of downside risk if things like that fail, so you want top shelf results.

Yules
MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 »

fishandgolf wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:31 am
+1 on the All Clad. We replaced all of our cookware with it this year and absolutely love it.

I'd say that anything that you use on a daily basis where there is a substantial improvement in quality is worth quite a lot of money. The same goes for anything that your health and safety can hinge on (e.g. good food, well made firearms).

Lifetime costs should be the focus of those who with the financial means to choose. Often, spending more upfront reduces lifetime costs, though this is not always the case.

I'm interested in knowing more about your "All Clad" cookware. I googled the brand.....looks like stainless, hard anodize, non-stick?

What we use often: small 10-12" fry pan for frying eggs/sausage. 6 qt with cover for larger meals.

Most of our cookware has been the cheap stuff from TJ Max etc. Would really like to invest in some quality cookware!
For fried eggs we use a 60 year old cast iron pan that was passed down through our family. The stainless all clad stuff works great for almost anything. It’s stainless so definitely not “non stick” but they last.
For the love of God, stick to your plan!!!
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

JoeRetire wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:49 am At my age "lasts a lifetime" isn't as good a deal as it was when I was younger! :wink:
Saw an add for a sweat shirt with a message something like ...
  • Don't **** me off. At my age a life sentence is not as much of a deterrent as it used to be.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

fishandgolf wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:31 am

I actually disagree with them about all clad. Cuisinart multi clad is the same middling product for a fraction of the price, although you can get all clad for much less than retail.

Cookware brands worth the money would be Matfer, Mauviel 250, Falk, Fissler, Paderno, or any commercial brand for that matter.

Demeyere or Lagostina if you want cladded sidewalls. De buyer or Darto for carbon steel. Good old lodge is as much as you should pay for any cast iron.
Last edited by Lee_WSP on Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

"Items that are worth the money for the quality"

Muck shoes/boots.

Post by 000 »

rgs92 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:58 am
000 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:10 pm Vanguard index funds (much preferred to Fidelity "Zero" funds)
Why is that? Thanks. (Probably should be explained in another thread about these funds so as not to derail this thread.)
I don't have much to add to previous threads, so I will just say:

I think Fidelity has a much better understanding of how it gets blood from its stones than I ever will.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

bertilak wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:38 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:49 am At my age "lasts a lifetime" isn't as good a deal as it was when I was younger! :wink:
  • Don't **** me off. At my age a life sentence is not as much of a deterrent as it used to be.
I like that...
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
dru808

Post by dru808 »

I opt for the budget iphones over any comparable priced android.
sptm
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

framus wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:57 pm Apple everything
Patagonia clothing
Rivendell Bicycles
I’ve been Rivendell-curious for a few years now so it’s nice to see it recommended here. I’ll buy that Atlantis one day.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

chuckb84 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:01 pm Macbook Pro: Expensive.
Not having to use Windows: Priceless.
Made me laugh! :D
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Classic clothing that doesn't go out of style. I have a high-end, brand name trench coat that cost quite a bit more than I wanted to spend, even though it was on sale. But it was exactly what I was looking for -- >30 years ago. Over the years I had to have the lining replaced and a few fixes made, but it looks great. It's not something that I wear daily, but it is a timeless piece of my wardrobe.

Note: I also still have a lovely glen plaid, wool suit (older than the trench coat) that I cannot bear to part with, even though I no longer fit it. It is part of a small "aspirational" wardrobe in a corner of the closet.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

bertilak wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:38 pm
Three hots and a cot! And, you won't have any stinkin' SWR worries. :D

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
fwellimort

Post by fwellimort »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:49 pm Etymotic earphones
+1 to Etymotic earphones. Those are lifetime wear and hear devices. Diffuse field is amazing especially when listening to recordings and covers.

I hear amazing things too about Campfire Audio Andromeda, 64 Audio IEMs, and Sony Z1ER.

A good pair of earphones or headphones (e.g. Focal Utopia) or speakers are "worth it" investments. It's like being able to see the color blue for the first time: your ears don't know what they are missing to regular listening until you try a truly high end audio device.

Other than that, a light pair of frames for glasses (the one on your eyes). Once you go titanium or aluminum, you never go back.
Prodesign Denmark or Lindberg or any high quality titanium frames from smaller firms in Japan.
It really feels "freedom". Probably the best thing one can do to his/her eyes if he/she don't want lasik (too scared to try).
Godot

Post by Godot »

oldfort wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:41 pm
Normchad wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:21 pm
oldfort wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:12 pm
Normchad wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:05 pm

I also agree with Marshall. A MacBookPro will probably last 3 times as long as anything from Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.
Absolute nonsense. The RAM, hard drive, and processor don't last longer because there's an Apple logo on the case. If you want a machine which is truly ruggedized and meets mil specs, get a Panasonic Toughbook.
Well, it' my preference. And in my experience, it has absolutely 100% been true... it's not even close.... I've never had a windows laptop survive more than 2 years..... and I've never had a MBP fail, ever....

So in answer to the original question, I don't mind paying more for an MBP, because they do last longer. And a lot of other people with experience with both, agree.
I've certainly had Windows machines last longer than two years. It's kind of ironic Apple pushes the AppleCare so hard if they are more durable. Marketing message: our products suck so much everyone really needs this extended warranty. If you want a real ruggedized laptop, get a Panasonic Toughbook. You can drop those three feet onto concrete and have them work fine.

As for anecdotes, I can find counter-anecdotes with a 1s Google search.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6713610.
Oh boy, I feel a commercial coming on . . .
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot
RXfiles

Post by RXfiles »

Normchad wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:05 pm

I also agree with Marshall. A MacBookPro will probably last 3 times as long as anything from Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.
From the company that bricks old products so you have to upgrade
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I've owned three Dells - I used first one for 11 years. My 2009 laptop is still going strong but I don't use it much anymore. Current desktop is about 6.5 YO and has only been rebooted for updates. I do like my iPad though.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Unsurprising to see this degenerate into another Apple fanboy vs Apple basher thread.

FWIW, I think the iPhones are good value considering the quality, hardware performance, and longevity of software support. The iPads are also good value and in many ways have no significant competition. But the computers are pretty overpriced (some to the point of self-caricature - $700 set of wheels for the Mac Pro, $1K for a monitor STAND).
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

heartwood wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:39 am
JoeRetire wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:49 am
They may be a good brand, but North Face jackets have only a limited warranty.

"The North Face® lifetime warranty covers manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship, regardless of the age of the product, but it does not cover normal wear and tear. Wear and tear is damage that naturally and inevitably occurs as a result of normal use."

I used to prefer LL Bean products due to their lifetime warranty. But the old warranty no longer exists.

I'm still willing to pay more for a few LL Bean items. But there are very few brands that I'd pay a lot more for.
At my age "lasts a lifetime" isn't as good a deal as it was when I was younger! :wink:
Patagonia clothing. My closets are full of them; they don't wear out. We have items from 40(?) years ago that are still going strong. They will also replace or fix anything they sold you, forever, no hassle. Had a 70's rain jacket with a liner that started flaking (after 40 years). I was in the Boston store and showed it to the clerk. I was told to pick a replacement, no cost limit. I walked out with it that day at no charge.

My only nit to pick is that they no longer offer the wonderful colors from the early days. Today's reds and yellows are good, but don't compare to yesteryear. I have several baggie shorts or longs from the 80s. I had one on in the pool and a guy came over and asked how long I'd had the color. He was also a Patagonia aficionado and recognized it as a heritage color!
+1 on Patagonia.
I sold a bunch of my 25-year-old college shells/windbreakers on eBay last year.
Kids borrow my 25-year-old fleeces.
Also agree on the colors. I actually buy the R1 1/2 zips on eBay, to get the fun colors.
Think

Post by Think »

Great query. I would say very few items (outside of a wonderful family and friends) give me joy (and provide excellent value); however, here it goes

MacBook Air

12.9" iPad Pro

Nike AirMax Running Shoes

Tennis racquets

(oddly, my iPhone does not make the list - maybe it's because I associate it with work)
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

catlady wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:50 am Apple products
Vitamix blender
Zojirushi rice cooker
Excalibur dehydrator
Shun knives
Miele vacuum
Peloton bike
Sleep number mattress
yes !
:sharebeer

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

Carguy85 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:21 pm Henry lever action rifle. Made in the USA and quality to the max. Has performed flawlessly and has lifetime guarantee.
I'm partial to Marlin lever actions, but I do have a Henry too. Both good. As far as value for revolvers... Ruger, though I really want a Freedom Arms.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

Yes, yes and yes. I'd add a good set of knives to the list.