Items that are worth the money for the quality

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
newguy123

Items that are worth the money for the quality

Post by newguy123 »

I personally don’t mind paying more for things if the quality is good and lasts a lifetime or has a lifetime guarantee. An example of this is north face jackets or sweaters or backpacks. I have had 2 north face back packs fail on me and both were taken by the north face store and a new backpack sent back. What other brands do you not mind paying more for and are good quality and backed by an unbeatable warranty ?
marshall

Re: Items that are worth the money for the quality

Post by marshall »

Apple MacBook Pro
chenzi

Post by chenzi »

https://www.sfbags.com/ - Bags Made in SFO
https://saddlebackleather.com/ and Goruck bags
https://missionworkshop.com/ - Bags, Jackets and Stuff. Made in US/EU.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Henry lever action rifle. Made in the USA and quality to the max. Has performed flawlessly and has lifetime guarantee.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Tumi luggage.
BespokeBiker

Post by BespokeBiker »

Climbing ropes & carabiners :P
Parachutes :shock:
A good mattress ! :sharebeer
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

marshall wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:14 pm Apple MacBook Pro
Definitely not. You can get the same performance, in terms of graphics card, processor, and RAM, cheaper in a Windows machine.
inverter

Post by inverter »

Filson. All-Clad pots & good cast iron. Good shoes.
oldfort wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:28 pm
Definitely not. You can get the same performance, in terms of graphics card, processor, and RAM, cheaper in a Windows machine.
Yes but you’re assuming you are just paying for the hardware, and not the better software, ease of use, etc.
austin757

Post by austin757 »

Noise cancelling headphones
superskyliner

Post by superskyliner »

Sonos products
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

inverter wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:31 pm Filson. All-Clad pots & good cast iron. Good shoes.
Yes but you’re assuming you are just paying for the hardware, and not the better software, ease of use, etc.
Ease of use is subjective.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

superskyliner wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:37 pm Sonos products
New Balance shoes. My feet are hapy. Wear them every day. But they don’t last forever. Yet I am happy to pay.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

oldfort wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:48 pm
inverter wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:31 pm Filson. All-Clad pots & good cast iron. Good shoes.
I agree with marshall. I’ve used HP , Lenovo and HP through work - high end developer machines. Mac is better.

Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 »

Carguy85 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:21 pm Henry lever action rifle. Made in the USA and quality to the max. Has performed flawlessly and has lifetime guarantee.
+1
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

New Balance shoes; MacBook Pro; quality mattress (I prefer Simmons Beautyrest); KitchenAid Dishwasher-ours lasted 23 years; quality upholstered furniture which usually means I get tired of it before it ever needs replacing ( I might have to re-think this last one....I'd really like to change my furniture but can't because what I've had for the past 20 years still looks like new!)
Last edited by Gnirk on Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

Dottie57 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:52 pm
I agree with marshall. I’ve used HP , Lenovo and HP through work - high end developer machines. Mac is better.

If you're a gamer, it's inarguable Windows has a lot more games available. For processing intensive tasks, Mac's are incredibly slow compared to an equivalent price point Windows machine. I personally find MAC's harder to use and less intuitive than Windows. I do realize to some people Apple is more a cult than a computer brand :D .

Post by 000 »

And you can get all of that even cheaper in a linux machine.

Checkmate.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I also agree with Marshall. A MacBookPro will probably last 3 times as long as anything from Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Maui Jim Sunglasses
Mizuno Wave Rider Shoes
Zebra Thermal Label Printer
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Alden cordovan shoes
Le Creuset
Barbour jackets

Post by 000 »

Vanguard index funds (much preferred to Fidelity "Zero" funds)
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

Normchad wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:05 pm

I also agree with Marshall. A MacBookPro will probably last 3 times as long as anything from Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.
Absolute nonsense. The RAM, hard drive, and processor don't last longer because there's an Apple logo on the case. If you want a machine which is truly ruggedized and meets mil specs, get a Panasonic Toughbook.
ddj

Post by ddj »

Smartwool shirts (and socks).
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

oldfort wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:12 pm

Absolute nonsense. The RAM, hard drive, and processor don't last longer because there's an Apple logo on the case. If you want a machine which is truly ruggedized and meets mil specs, get a Panasonic Toughbook.
Well, it' my preference. And in my experience, it has absolutely 100% been true... it's not even close.... I've never had a windows laptop survive more than 2 years..... and I've never had a MBP fail, ever....

So in answer to the original question, I don't mind paying more for an MBP, because they do last longer. And a lot of other people with experience with both, agree.
CRJPylote

Post by CRJPylote »

Tires. I know many advocate for good tires, but its always worth repeating.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

CRJPylote wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:22 pm Tires. I know many advocate for good tires, but its always worth repeating.
How does one know that a tire is “good”?
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

First/Business class flights
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
magicrat

Post by magicrat »

Miele vacuums
CRJPylote

Post by CRJPylote »

Tingting1013 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:24 pm
CRJPylote wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:22 pm Tires. I know many advocate for good tires, but its always worth repeating.
How does one know that a tire is “good”?
I usually use a aggregate of tire rack reviews, YouTube reviews, brand reputation(Michelin vs the cheapest brand at walmart) and price. I may also poke around auto forum's like Bob is the Oil Guy and see what their opinion is.

Also as a general rule, specialized tires like Winter Tires or Summer Performance tires are far better at the specific conditions they were designed for, but far worse than the All-season/All-weather tires if you use them all year in the wrong conditions. This difference is in my opinion more than most people expect. It's pronounced enough that if a friend had a FWD car and wanted to feel safer in winter, I'd strongly advise upgrading tires instead of buying a used AWD car, if you could only pick one.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

Normchad wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:21 pm

Well, it' my preference. And in my experience, it has absolutely 100% been true... it's not even close.... I've never had a windows laptop survive more than 2 years..... and I've never had a MBP fail, ever....

So in answer to the original question, I don't mind paying more for an MBP, because they do last longer. And a lot of other people with experience with both, agree.
I've certainly had Windows machines last longer than two years. It's kind of ironic Apple pushes the AppleCare so hard if they are more durable. Marketing message: our products suck so much everyone really needs this extended warranty. If you want a real ruggedized laptop, get a Panasonic Toughbook. You can drop those three feet onto concrete and have them work fine.

As for anecdotes, I can find counter-anecdotes with a 1s Google search.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6713610.
matti

Post by matti »

My CW-X Pro running shorts have been bulletproof.
softmax

Post by softmax »

oldfort wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:41 pm
Normchad wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:21 pm

I've certainly had Windows machines last longer than two years. It's kind of ironic Apple pushes the AppleCare so hard if they are more durable. Marketing message: our products suck so much everyone really needs this extended warranty. If you want a real ruggedized laptop, get a Panasonic Toughbook. You can drop those three feet onto concrete and have them work fine.

As for anecdotes, I can find counter-anecdotes with a 1s Google search.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6713610.
“Last longer” doesn’t mean it’s more durable...I never broke any laptop. The only reason why I need a upgrade is I can’t get things done efficiently on the old machine.

Laptop’s life cycle depends on whether the manufacturer continues to push software updates, security patches, etc. It also depends on whether developers are willing to optimize for that platform. Even if Macs have crappy hardware, common applications still run smoothly because developers spend more time optimizing the code. When the machine gets older, hardware is really the least important factor.
Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 »

Briggs & Riley luggage - light and durable
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

inverter wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:31 pmAll-Clad pots & good cast iron.
+1 on the All Clad. We replaced all of our cookware with it this year and absolutely love it.

I'd say that anything that you use on a daily basis where there is a substantial improvement in quality is worth quite a lot of money. The same goes for anything that your health and safety can hinge on (e.g. good food, well made firearms).

Lifetime costs should be the focus of those who with the financial means to choose. Often, spending more upfront reduces lifetime costs, though this is not always the case.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

For me it's Peet's Major Dickason's Dark Roast Coffee.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

DarnTough socks. Guaranteed for life! I will never pay for socks again as long as I live!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Etymotic earphones
Leatherman multitools
Allen Edmonds shoes
Pelikan fountain pens
Hamilton wristwatches
Panasonic plasma TVs (no longer sold)
Mass Fidelity Bluetooth speakers (no longer sold)
iPhones
TiVos
Last edited by Nicolas on Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chance favors the prepared mind. — Louis Pasteur
telemark

Post by telemark »

I'm typing this on my Topre keyboard (which replaced the aging Unicomp Model M with the unreliable number pad and the sticky shift key). Life is too short to use butterfly keyboards.
novemberrain

Post by novemberrain »

Tempurpedic mattress
Apple products - all of them
amazon shopping experience
terran

Post by terran »

Good cooking knives. I've been happy with Wusthof, but I'm sure there are other quality brands too.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

terran wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:03 am Good cooking knives. I've been happy with Wusthof, but I'm sure there are other quality brands too.
I'm partial to Global --- https://www.globalcutleryusa.com/

Fun South China Morning Post Magazine article --- Kitchen knives with an edge: how five professional chefs chose theirs, from a humble Chinese cleaver to the Ferrari of sushi knives
https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-mag ... onal-chefs
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

000 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:10 pm Vanguard index funds (much preferred to Fidelity "Zero" funds)
Why is that? Thanks. (Probably should be explained in another thread about these funds so as not to derail this thread.)
L82GAME

Post by L82GAME »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:49 pm Etymotic earphones
Leatherman multitools
Allen Edmonds shoes
Pelikan fountain pens
Hamilton wristwatches
Panasonic plasma TVs (no longer sold)
Mass Fidelity Bluetooth speakers (no longer sold)
iPhones
TiVos
+1 on Allen Edmonds dress shoes and boots. Made in the USA and resoleable.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Toyota/Lexus vehicles.
mancich

Post by mancich »

I just don't see it. I have an 8 year old Dell XPS desktop. It has never given me an issue, and Windows 10 (previously Windows 8.1) has never crashed. Never. I don't understand what is so difficult about using a Windows machine. Further, Office 365 is far superior to its Mac cousin. Hard to justify $2,000+ for a Macbook Pro when you can get a very good Windows laptop for less than half that amount. At least to me. :sharebeer
TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome »

Weight machines:

I have Empire by Titan weight machines purchased around 1991. Almost 30 years later, the leg extension machine still works as well as the day I bought it, but my knees have worn out.

I purchased a couple of Hammer Strength machines 10 years ago and they're even better (but plate-loaded rather than pulley systems).
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:43 am Toyota/Lexus vehicles.
+1 Interesting that they don’t really cost any more than “comparable” vehicles.
MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:26 pm
inverter wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:31 pmAll-Clad pots & good cast iron.
+1 on the All Clad. We replaced all of our cookware with it this year and absolutely love it.

I'd say that anything that you use on a daily basis where there is a substantial improvement in quality is worth quite a lot of money. The same goes for anything that your health and safety can hinge on (e.g. good food, well made firearms).

Lifetime costs should be the focus of those who with the financial means to choose. Often, spending more upfront reduces lifetime costs, though this is not always the case.
All clad all the way! We’ve had our set since 13’ and are very happy.
For the love of God, stick to your plan!!!
kelway

Post by kelway »

Guitar Amplifiers, Couches, Game Controllers, Pots and Pans, Computer keyboards, Sneakers, Mattress, Sparkling water, Desk chair,
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

newguy123 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:57 pm I personally don’t mind paying more for things if the quality is good and lasts a lifetime or has a lifetime guarantee. An example of this is north face jackets or sweaters or backpacks. I have had 2 north face back packs fail on me and both were taken by the north face store and a new backpack sent back. What other brands do you not mind paying more for and are good quality and backed by an unbeatable warranty ?
They may be a good brand, but North Face jackets have only a limited warranty.

"The North Face® lifetime warranty covers manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship, regardless of the age of the product, but it does not cover normal wear and tear. Wear and tear is damage that naturally and inevitably occurs as a result of normal use."

I used to prefer LL Bean products due to their lifetime warranty. But the old warranty no longer exists.

I'm still willing to pay more for a few LL Bean items. But there are very few brands that I'd pay a lot more for.
At my age "lasts a lifetime" isn't as good a deal as it was when I was younger! :wink:
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.