Epoxy Garage Floors

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Mapmaker

Epoxy Garage Floors

Post by Mapmaker »

I had a company install epoxy (about $2,500) on my 2 car garage floor. I was told not to park my new car on the floor until I had driven 1k miles, as the tires would have a coating that stuck to the epoxy. The floor looks great, and I do want to keep it that way, so I am slowly putting mileage on my new car and parking it in the driveway, hopefully getting to 1,000 before winter. However, I am retired, and especially during the virus problem, sometimes the car will set in the garage without moving for a week and maybe longer. Would that cause the tires to make marks or affect the epoxy some way after I put on 1,000 miles?
investor.saver1

Re: Epoxy Garage Floors

Post by investor.saver1 »

Why don't you go to a store that sells inexpensive small throw rugs for door mats. Buy one for each wheel and simply park the car on the rugs. They are pretty cheap ... walmart, Menards, some discount homegoods retailer. I don't get the 1000 mile wait so I'd be checking more on that one. Call anoather epoxy coating installer and just ask them the question.
Investor.Saver1 | | Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Unless it's a special formulation, most garage epoxy cures In 24 hours to walk on and 72 hours for vehicle traffic. I waited a week before I put my car on it,no issues with tire marks.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Take your car to a car wash, ideally one with a pressure washer and wash the treads if concerned. Otherwise, buy the cheap rugs suggested. We were told to not drive into the garage for 48-hours when we had epoxy added. No problems or mention of your issue. There will be what appear to be tire tracks from time-to-time, but they have only been tire dirt in a tread pattern and no more difficult to remove than any other dirt accumulating on garage floors.

Tim
Bronko

Post by Bronko »

Sounds like overkill. I have epoxy in my garage. I let it set for 48 hours then use it for intended purpose. No issues. I'm not buying rugs to park on, that's why I did the floors, to use them like a garage. I sweep it out then wet mop it now and then.
Never let a little bit of money get in the way of a real good time.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Epoxy floors are awesome! I’ve never heard of this waiting period.

Mine said to wait 72 hours before driving a car on it, to avoid “hot tire pickup”. I waited and never had an issue.

1000 mikes seems really excessive..... there shouldn’t be anything in your tire that can damage the epoxy coating.....
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

So instead of 48 hours, the OP was told to wait for a thousand miles before parking on the epoxy coating? Clever way for the installer to have a documented out for those who only waited overnight or 30 hours before putting dimples in their still green coating. 48 hours to cure in summer heat in the southern US, is far different than 48 hours to cure in November in states bordering Canada, for an unattached and unheated garage.

Did the installer not bring enough hardener for the epoxy mix, so it needed to cure longer?
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

I have never heard of that before. What causes epoxy to peel is hot tires. So if you want to be careful, wait for the tires to cool down and then park the car in the garage.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

We did a Sherwin Williams system of epoxy in our pole barn and we were told to wait two weeks for most things and they had us put a floor runner under the wheels on our motorhome which weighs about 38,000 pounds. The coating has been down 3 years now and its a 50ft x 80 ft barn and the system has worked very well. We dont let it freeze and keep the heat about 40 degrees in winter in there and so far so good. The contractor told us the devil is in the prep and application skill. Looks great and would do again.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Some of the posts above are going off-track. OP's post is about driving 1000 miles before using the garage. What coating on a tire is going to disappear after driving 1000 miles? What if you're a super low mileage driver and put 1000 miles anually on the vehicle - are you going to wait a year (I know, extreme example)??? Why didn't the installer just say how long to wait before driving on the newly surfaced garage floor?
Last edited by Gort on Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

Makes no sense at all to base the safe time to car miles instead of time. Like saying don't touch that fresh house paint until you've been to the grocery store 14 times. Was this work done on April 1? BTW, We had our garage floor done a few years ago (think it was about 4 days wait to park car on) and it turned out great. One of the best decisions I've made for improvement to the garage. I had it done professionally and am very glad that I did.
Topic Author
Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker »

I found the original wording from the company’s warranty:
Park any vehicle with new tires on cardboard or mats until the tires have approximately
1000 miles of wear. Some new tires (since 2007) have a chemical compound on the
outside of the tires that will amber (“yellow”) the areas where the tires touch the coating.
This compound wears with time and the 1000 miles is a general rule of thumb observed
across the nation by many coating companies.

At any rate, I’m at 900 miles so I’ll park the car inside in a couple weeks. I gather from the replies that the car just being still for days or weeks will not impact the epoxy coating.
Thanks all.