Quicken for Mac after updates?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Quicken for Mac after updates?

Post by NYCaviator »

I looked at Quicken last year but the Mac version seemed really watered down compared to windows when it came to investment tracking. It looks like Quicken has been rolling out a lot of updates this year for the Mac version (the benefit of a subscription model).

Is anyone using Quicken for Mac, and what’s your experience? It looks like they added a lot of good features with investment management.
Crustus

Re: Quicken for Mac after updates?

Post by Crustus »

I have the Deluxe version of their subscription s/w. The investment analysis (ROI, IRR, etc) is currently pathetic. At their current rate of progress, they'll catch up to Quicken (for Mac) 2007 in about five or ten years. Maybe the next tier up is better but there's no indication of that on their (also) pathetic website.

You can currently only get IRR for 1, 3, & 5 years (no flexibility on start or end date). ROI is 1, 3, & 5 and total only.
And . . .
DJZ

Post by DJZ »

I have used Quicken for Windows since the mid 1990s, and bought Quicken Premier for Mac in 2018. I had low expectations, because of the history of their crappy Mac offerings.

But I imported all my data into the Mac version and was able to use both versions for a time. It didn’t take long to choose the Mac one over the Windows one. Q for Mac is one of my favorite Mac programs and I use it pretty much every day.

The other commenter cited IRR and ROÍ; I never check those and he may be right. The most frequent complaints at Amazon (where I bought it) by far are about the subscription model. The reports still lag Windows but are adequate for my purposes. I had a complaint about the handling of options but that is fixed. It is much faster retrieving data from financial institutions than the Windows version was. It never crashes. It’s an actual native Mac app so looks and acts as it should. A joy to use.
Lacrocious

Post by Lacrocious »

If you are up for it, you can do what I do and run Quicken for Windows in a Windows virtual machine on your Mac. With the subscription, you can run either. I used the Windows version for years and years and just haven't taken time to think about converting to the Mac version due to the time it would take to validate 20+ years of data transfer. I expect it will convert pretty good, but I would want to check balances, etc.

Parallels costs $$, while the new VMware Fusion is free for home use. Both claim to be compatible with the soon-to-be released Big Sur version of MacOS. I haven't kept up-to-date on any other virtual machine products for Mac.

I use Parallels now, but I am reviewing VMware Fusion because of the free version. You will need a Windows license to use it. I frequently run in Parallels "Coherence" mode, so the Quicken Window shows up as a separate App under the Mac, just with the Windows style Min/Max/Close buttons on the right, not the Mac style on the left.

At some point I may take on the conversion, but this has been working for the last 1 1/2 years.
- L
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Bought a subscription it but really never used it.

Mint is fine for my needs...bummed me that Quicken can't directly import from Mint, another reason I didn't renew Quicken.
DJZ

Post by DJZ »

I did use Q for W on my intel iMac for quite some time, using Oracle’s (free!) Virtualbox. It did work well but if your Mac is hardware constrained it was a pain. Worked fine on the iMac, but on the MacBook Air it was too slow to use.