Most comfortable shoe: please recommend

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Most comfortable shoe: please recommend

Post by get_g0ing »

Hi guys,

Wish you all are doing good.

I've been wearing the Nike Flex Experience Run 7 for a couple of years - and find it very comfortable to wear all day.
They are worn out now and I don't like the latest version of that shoe.

I'm reading good things about Brooks Ghost and Glycerin shoes. The New Balance Fresh Foam Beacon V3 looks nice too.
Any suggestions for a very comfortable daily shoe? A casual running shoe to wear with jeans.
stan1

Re: Most comfortable shoe: please recommend

Post by stan1 »

What's comfortable to one person won't be comfortable to another.

My spouse likes Hoka One cushioned shoes.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Skechers.
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

I like Allbirds for casual and business casual wear.

This one below I can wear with dark jeans and a blazer if I need to be on my feet all day but interact with internal clients and execs.

https://www.allbirds.com/products/mens-tree-runners
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

Hard to match the price and comfort combination offered by Skechers.

Moving up the scale a bit: Mephisto and Ecco. Highly comfortable, and only get better with age and use. I only have one pair of each, and have had them forever. Well... for quite a while.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
hirlaw

Post by hirlaw »

Super comfortable: Brooks Adrenaline GTS

[url]Adrehttps://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/brooks-adre ... qMQAvD_BwE[/url]
HoosierMike

Post by HoosierMike »

KURU.

If you suffer any kind of plantar fascilitis issues check out KURU shoes online.

I own about 10 pair. Well worth the price (approx $150@)
spottedchococow

Post by spottedchococow »

JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

New Balance 990 (or whatever the latest 99x version is of that model)

Most comfortable sneaker/tennis shoe I have ever owned. Pricey, but worth it
Last edited by JD2775 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

stan1 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:26 am My spouse likes Hoka One cushioned shoes.
+1 Hoka One One.

Best ever! Adored by travelers, long distance runners, and troubled feet. (Pronounced hoka on-ay on-ay, named for Maori phrase meaning "fly over the earth.")
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

I'm assuming your male... another vote for New Balance. DH gets fitted for them at a local running store and also gets recommendation for inserts (which need to be replaced every couple of years).

Now if you're female, I have several more options for you :)
Last edited by DesertDiva on Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Skechers work cessnock.

New Balance Classics (made in usa)

Hawaiian rubber slippers various styles for work, beach, and formal wear. :oops:

j :)
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Kelrex

Post by Kelrex »

Do you have access to a store with knowledgeable sales staff who can assess your feet and gait and recommend an appropriate shoe for you?

Where I live, all of the running stores offer this service, and some staff are better than others, but I find it makes a huge difference in finding the right shoe.

For me, the right running shoe vs the wrong running shoe is like night and day.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

New Balance 990. I used them when I use to run but have worn them as a daily driver for probably a decade. Durable and comfortale.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Comfortable for what? What's comfortable as a work shoe probably wouldn't be comfortable to hike in. Plus, comfort is so dependent on fit. The most comfortable shoes tend to be ones that have broken into your foot. It's why it can be tough to give up on old worn out shoes.
urodoc1

Post by urodoc1 »

+1 for brooks glycerin. I have old man feet and these have helped.

I also have a pair of allbirds that I really like, but these are mostly for social occasions where I know I won't be on my feet all day
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

It will be very personal.

I wear Brooks Adrenaline GTS (support + cushion) running shoes. Version 20 and just recently 21 are out. 21 has one color. Maybe due to Covid?

I recently got a "good deal" on a pair of Brooks Ghost 12 (cushion only). They hurt my feet. My arches were on fire during walks even. The lack of support was very prevalent. They just didn't work for me.

This may be because "change is hard" or my feet are "used to" having support.

If the old ones worked, I'd buy the same thing. Models do change.

Most know if they need a supportive shoe or can do neutral/cushion only or neutral flat.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

Brooks Glycerin is fantastic for general use, wear them for long work days standing on hard floors. I use Ghost for running, because they're a little firmer. The Glycerin is very plush. Big Brooks fan. That being said, it depends what fits you. Anonymous advice on the internet will not be of help. Need to just go to a store and go with what fits well and feels good.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

I always stock up when I find a shoe that is good for me.

My second pair of Merrill slip on Trail Gloves is on its last legs. I have three more pairs in reserve. These have been amazing for me. No break in period, no blisters, no excessive arch support trying to cut through my arches...the problem is that I also can't use socks with them, so I have to wear something else when we visit family over Christmas. I am considering getting gaiters, instead because everything else seems so heavy once you are used to ultralight shoes.
MNGopher

Post by MNGopher »

Flobes wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:53 am
stan1 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:26 am My spouse likes Hoka One cushioned shoes.
+1 Hoka One One.

Best ever! Adored by travelers, long distance runners, and troubled feet. (Pronounced hoka on-ay on-ay, named for Maori phrase meaning "fly over the earth.")
Yep, for over a decade I wore Ecco brand for work casual. Now I wear Hoka running shoes whenever I can get away with it. Very comfortable.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

HoosierMike wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:46 am KURU.

If you suffer any kind of plantar fascilitis issues check out KURU shoes online.

I own about 10 pair. Well worth the price (approx $150@)
Had no idea about this company. I'll be trying a pair.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

gwe67 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:28 amSkechers.
+1 Skechers, light and comfortable.
Bogle7

Mephisto

Post by Bogle7 »

The most comfortable shoe brand I have ever experienced in my 70+ years is: Mephisto.
Just be prepared to pay $300 USD. Cheaper in Europe. I save $80 by buying my last pair while on vacation in Wien.
I like that they can be rebuilt. My 30-year-old pair was rebuilt a few years ago for $160 USD. Like new!
Made in France or Portugal.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trevorshhh

Post by trevorshhh »

I'm a big fan of Brooks Ghost shoes myself. I wear them for running, and then when they are worn out for running, still plenty of life left as walking shoes.
All in VTI, VXUS, BND and equivalents.
dcnut

Post by dcnut »

If you want a decent looking walking shoe (not sneaker or running shoe), I would recommend the SAS Time-out shoe, which is made in the USA (San Antonio Shoe). They are not cheap ($185), but they are exceptionally well-made. They feature a generous toe bed, and can easily accommodate special arch support inserts. Speaking of which, I really like the arch support inserts from Tread Labs (Woburn MA). I used to use expensive, custom-made inserts, but I now prefer the cheaper ($65) Pace inserts from Tread Labs. They offer several levels of arch support, and they provide excellent guidance on how to choose the right level.

Glenn
McGilicutty

Post by McGilicutty »

Go barefoot. The human foot is not designed to be in a shoe and arch support just makes your arches weaker.
66Sally

Post by 66Sally »

I have been battling plantar fasciitis and Brooks Ghost were recommended for my feet. I went to a runner's store, Fleet Feet, where a computer was used to evaluate my feet. I wear the Brooks most of the time. The rest of the time I wear Vionic, even my house slippers are Vionic.
itaos

Post by itaos »

Brooks Ghost

Every year I try out the competitors for a cushioned neutral shoe and the Ghost has consistently won out. I use custom orthotics and require a wide size, so this endorsement may not be widely applicable
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

I need a wide toe box and good cushioning due to multiple overuse foot injuries over the years, so I wear a pair of Keens everyday for casual (non active sports) wear. I always have a worn pair and a brand new pair waiting in the wings as backup.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

alfaspider wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:36 am Comfortable for what?
+1 Right now I'm wearing the most comfortable pair of slippers while reading bogleheads!
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

Kelrex wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:13 am Do you have access to a store with knowledgeable sales staff who can assess your feet and gait and recommend an appropriate shoe for you?

Where I live, all of the running stores offer this service, and some staff are better than others, but I find it makes a huge difference in finding the right shoe.

For me, the right running shoe vs the wrong running shoe is like night and day.
+1

There is no substitute for going to a store that has a knowledgeable sales staff and will have you try on 3 or 4 different styles until you find the right one. My preference is the Saucony Men's Guide ISO Running Shoe. But, that is perfect for my feet and not necessarily your feet.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Deleted.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the sincere comments and guidance. I'm very grateful to you all.
I want to ask about something. Some shoes have deep ridges (not sure what the correct term is), like this one:

Others are not that deep:

What does this mean, or what's implication of this?
Does it mean that the deeper ones give more traction in rain or snow - or is that unrelated?

Thanks.
mrlan

Post by mrlan »

Surprised no one mentioned Clarks. Amazingly consistent in the comfort they provide. Customer for 15 years.
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

Allbirds indoors, Saucony leather walking shoes outdoors.
18% cash 44% stock 38% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

l like Saucony Triumphs. Super comfy and stable and well cushioned (but with great road feel and maneuverability) and they seem to wear well after several years. I can turn on a dime with them and they feel natural for walking or jogging.

https://www.saucony.com/en/triumph-18/4 ... ng&start=1
Last edited by rgs92 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

Tattarrattat wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:41 am Brooks Glycerin is fantastic for general use, wear them for long work days standing on hard floors. I use Ghost for running, because they're a little firmer. The Glycerin is very plush. Big Brooks fan. That being said, it depends what fits you. Anonymous advice on the internet will not be of help. Need to just go to a store and go with what fits well and feels good.
Hi Tattarrattat, I have a question for you please.

The Glycerin has shallow ridges in the sole compared to Ghost.
Do you know what that means or what difference that makes?
Is that related to traction or longevity of the sole?

Glycerin:

Ghost:
J295

Post by J295 »

General ... Hokas are popular for good reason. I prefer Altra Torin Plush 4. Note: there are various models and iterations of both brands, with subtle but important differences.

HOWEVER as others have stated, if you want to do this right go see a capable shoe sales person.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I like Skechers, usually get one of their 'work & safety shoes'.... What others said... good all around shoe at a reasonable price.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
newguy123

Post by newguy123 »

If you are looking for something tough that can be worn in rain, snow , sun and last pretty much forever , check out bates tactical boots. I found most law enforcement officers wear them and they stand on duty during the craziest weather to direct traffic etc so I decided to pick up a pair 2-3 years ago, by far the best shoes / boots I have ever had. I also motorcycle as well so I know boots and these things are damn durable/ comfortable and don’t wear out even when riding a motorcycle.

https://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/8%2 ... 46359.html
chungus

Post by chungus »

+1 Brooks Ghost for running or walking.

Outside of running, Ecco good for casual or office.

YMMV!
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

get_g0ing wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:51 pm
Tattarrattat wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:41 am Brooks Glycerin is fantastic for general use, wear them for long work days standing on hard floors. I use Ghost for running, because they're a little firmer. The Glycerin is very plush. Big Brooks fan. That being said, it depends what fits you. Anonymous advice on the internet will not be of help. Need to just go to a store and go with what fits well and feels good.
Hi Tattarrattat, I have a question for you please.

The Glycerin has shallow ridges in the sole compared to Ghost.
Do you know what that means or what difference that makes?
Is that related to traction or longevity of the sole?

Glycerin:

Ghost:
Just contributes to the different feel of the shoe. No real difference in traction or longevity. Both very nice, one just a little more cushiony than the other.
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

rgs92 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:49 pm l like Saucony Triumphs. Super comfy and stable and well cushioned (but with great road feel and maneuverability) and they seem to wear well after several years. I can turn on a dime with them and they feel natural for walking or jogging.

https://www.saucony.com/en/triumph-18/4 ... ng&start=1
Saucony Triumph is an excellent shoe as well. Very similar to Glycerin. I find Hokas fit and feel weird, but some people are crazy about them. Honestly, need to not listen to any of us, just go try on and trust your own instincts. And try to avoid decision paralysis, although hard to do in a running shoe store.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

Another vote for allbirds.
rec630

Post by rec630 »

I'm generally a fan of New Balance but I have had them in the past release a "new improved" V2 of a style I loved and had several pair of that was absolutely horrible for fit and comfort.
rixer

Post by rixer »

Sketcher's Go Walks for long walks and workout. Reef's flip flops for everyday wear. :sharebeer
dewey

Post by dewey »

Hoka for many mile daily walks are beyondo. Now my wife is hooked too. Lots of good Brooks, NB, etc. are available as well but Hokas are my current favorite. Another shoe mostly for runners but I don’t run anymore and only recently discovered them are ON. Swiss design. Very different from other shoes. Excellent choice too.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Brooks Beast or Adrenaline
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

For me, running shoes, but they are only good, at least for me, for 300-400 miles. I have to replace them every few months. They are very good within that period, but then the support breaks down, so it's not a value, it's comfort. And, what this means...is that you end up with many, many pairs of yard work shoes.