2021 Volvo XC60

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
beingzero
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:46 am

2021 Volvo XC60

Post by beingzero »

Fellow Volvo Drivers and Bogleheads,

I am in the market for a new SUV and decided to go with the Volvo XC60. I got quoted 52500 out the door for a 2021 T5 Inscription AWD which is fully loaded except for the B&W sound system, if I go through Volvo finance. (Their rates are 4% since they are offering me a great price according to the sales guy). The sales/finance people told me that I can refinance in 3-4 months if I want to with any lender of my choice. The quoted price is the lowest of the 3 volvo dealers I dealt with.

Is that a good price or is there more room? I haven't bought a car in a while and hate dealing with dealerships. Any suggestions would be helpful.
bwalling
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: 2021 Volvo XC60

Post by bwalling »

Figure out who the highest volume Volvo dealers in the country are. Contact 2-3 of the top 5/10 volume dealers via email, and give them your specific specs and ask for the out the door price, with fees, tax, tag, and title included.

For some makes, you can get really large price breaks from the dealers that do massive volume. Sometimes, it's so big it's worth flying to get it or paying for transport. But, even if it's not a big break for this vehicle, you'll at least know whether you have a good price.
MikeG62
Posts: 3257
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: 2021 Volvo XC60

Post by MikeG62 »

beingzero wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:48 am Fellow Volvo Drivers and Bogleheads,

I am in the market for a new SUV and decided to go with the Volvo XC60. I got quoted 52500 out the door for a 2021 T5 Inscription AWD which is fully loaded except for the B&W sound system, if I go through Volvo finance. (Their rates are 4% since they are offering me a great price according to the sales guy). The sales/finance people told me that I can refinance in 3-4 months if I want to with any lender of my choice. The quoted price is the lowest of the 3 volvo dealers I dealt with.

Is that a good price or is there more room? I haven't bought a car in a while and hate dealing with dealerships. Any suggestions would be helpful.
What is the MSRP?

Is Volvo offering any incentives? If so, how much?

FWIW, I've negotiated many car purchases/leases.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
ncbill
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:03 pm
Location: Western NC

Re: 2021 Volvo XC60

Post by ncbill »

beingzero wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:48 am Fellow Volvo Drivers and Bogleheads,

I am in the market for a new SUV and decided to go with the Volvo XC60. I got quoted 52500 out the door for a 2021 T5 Inscription AWD which is fully loaded except for the B&W sound system, if I go through Volvo finance. (Their rates are 4% since they are offering me a great price according to the sales guy). The sales/finance people told me that I can refinance in 3-4 months if I want to with any lender of my choice. The quoted price is the lowest of the 3 volvo dealers I dealt with.

Is that a good price or is there more room? I haven't bought a car in a while and hate dealing with dealerships. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Go over to leasehackr [sic] dot com and search their forums for signed lease deals on the XC60 & check the actual sales price listed.

If those prices are significantly lower than what you got consider hiring a broker (plenty on that site) to negotiate the out-the-door price for you
Topic Author
beingzero
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:46 am

Re: 2021 Volvo XC60

Post by beingzero »

MikeG62 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:23 am
beingzero wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:48 am Fellow Volvo Drivers and Bogleheads,

I am in the market for a new SUV and decided to go with the Volvo XC60. I got quoted 52500 out the door for a 2021 T5 Inscription AWD which is fully loaded except for the B&W sound system, if I go through Volvo finance. (Their rates are 4% since they are offering me a great price according to the sales guy). The sales/finance people told me that I can refinance in 3-4 months if I want to with any lender of my choice. The quoted price is the lowest of the 3 volvo dealers I dealt with.

Is that a good price or is there more room? I haven't bought a car in a while and hate dealing with dealerships. Any suggestions would be helpful.
What is the MSRP?
57990

Is Volvo offering any incentives? If so, how much?
Total Discount: 9000 Costco discount/ Affiliate credit union Discount & Dealer discount.
Taxes and other fees are about 4k.


FWIW, I've negotiated many car purchases/leases.
jpohio
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:48 am

Re: 2021 Volvo XC60

Post by jpohio »

I bought (paid cash, no finance) 2020 XC60 from a dealer near Baltimore, very high volume dealer. I am in NE OH. T5, AWD, Advanced package, Luxury package, and some other addons that came with car. OTD price was about 12.5% off MSRP. Including cost to ship to OH, I still saved hundreds compared to local dealers because the Baltimore dealer is very high volume.

I looked at their website, 2021 XC60's are marked down similarly, and their are a number of incentives spelled out on their website.

https://www.koonsvolvocarswhitemarsh.com/
MikeG62
Posts: 3257
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: 2021 Volvo XC60

Post by MikeG62 »

beingzero wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:55 am
MikeG62 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:23 am
beingzero wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:48 am Fellow Volvo Drivers and Bogleheads,

I am in the market for a new SUV and decided to go with the Volvo XC60. I got quoted 52500 out the door for a 2021 T5 Inscription AWD which is fully loaded except for the B&W sound system, if I go through Volvo finance. (Their rates are 4% since they are offering me a great price according to the sales guy). The sales/finance people told me that I can refinance in 3-4 months if I want to with any lender of my choice. The quoted price is the lowest of the 3 volvo dealers I dealt with.

Is that a good price or is there more room? I haven't bought a car in a while and hate dealing with dealerships. Any suggestions would be helpful.
What is the MSRP?
57990

Is Volvo offering any incentives? If so, how much?
Total Discount: 9000 Costco discount/ Affiliate credit union Discount & Dealer discount.
Taxes and other fees are about 4k.


FWIW, I've negotiated many car purchases/leases.
$9,000 off MSRP on a $57,990 MSRP is 15.5% off. That's pretty sizable. My gut reaction is to say you've got a pretty good deal there.

Having said that, I am not familiar with typical Volvo discounts so I'd look around online (including in a Volvo enthusiast forum) a bit more and see what you can find others are reporting. For example, it is typical to get a much larger discount off MSRP on an American brand than a German or European or Japanese brand. So not as helpful to compare an MSRP discount draw any conclusions between a Ford or Chevy and an Audi or Toyota.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
User avatar
queso
Posts: 905
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: 2021 Volvo XC60

Post by queso »

I bought a 2020 XC90 a few months ago at 14% below MSRP. Had to drive out of state (about 5 hours each way) since local dealers were not willing to match pricing and/or didn't have what I wanted.
Topic Author
beingzero
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:46 am

Re: 2021 Volvo XC60

Post by beingzero »

queso wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:51 am I bought a 2020 XC90 a few months ago at 14% below MSRP. Had to drive out of state (about 5 hours each way) since local dealers were not willing to match pricing and/or didn't have what I wanted.
14% off of MSRP + taxes and fees?
User avatar
queso
Posts: 905
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: 2021 Volvo XC60

Post by queso »

beingzero wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:28 am
queso wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:51 am I bought a 2020 XC90 a few months ago at 14% below MSRP. Had to drive out of state (about 5 hours each way) since local dealers were not willing to match pricing and/or didn't have what I wanted.
14% off of MSRP + taxes and fees?
Fees yes, taxes no. Got hit with those when I got it back in my own state.
Savingscaptain
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:31 am

Re: 2021 Volvo XC60

Post by Savingscaptain »

How urgently do you need a car? If not very pressing wait until Thanksgiving. Also leasehackr advice given earlier is the best. Lease a Volvo for chump change. I have an xc90 T8 for $345/mo thanks to LH.
Savingscaptain
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:31 am

Re: 2021 Volvo XC60

Post by Savingscaptain »

queso wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:37 am
beingzero wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:28 am
queso wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:51 am I bought a 2020 XC90 a few months ago at 14% below MSRP. Had to drive out of state (about 5 hours each way) since local dealers were not willing to match pricing and/or didn't have what I wanted.
14% off of MSRP + taxes and fees?
Fees yes, taxes no. Got hit with those when I got it back in my own state.
Most dealers use a 3P to title in all 50 states. That's just a poor dealer
delamer
Posts: 10590
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: 2021 Volvo XC60

Post by delamer »

jpohio wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:58 am I bought (paid cash, no finance) 2020 XC60 from a dealer near Baltimore, very high volume dealer. I am in NE OH. T5, AWD, Advanced package, Luxury package, and some other addons that came with car. OTD price was about 12.5% off MSRP. Including cost to ship to OH, I still saved hundreds compared to local dealers because the Baltimore dealer is very high volume.

I looked at their website, 2021 XC60's are marked down similarly, and their are a number of incentives spelled out on their website.

https://www.koonsvolvocarswhitemarsh.com/
How did you determine this is a very high volume dealer?

I’ve seen that advice before — buy from a high volume dealer — but don’t know how to identify one.
Misenplace
Moderator
Posts: 2750
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:46 pm

Re: 2021 Volvo XC60

Post by Misenplace »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.

Mod Misenplace
User avatar
queso
Posts: 905
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: 2021 Volvo XC60

Post by queso »

Savingscaptain wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:50 am
queso wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:37 am
beingzero wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:28 am
queso wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:51 am I bought a 2020 XC90 a few months ago at 14% below MSRP. Had to drive out of state (about 5 hours each way) since local dealers were not willing to match pricing and/or didn't have what I wanted.
14% off of MSRP + taxes and fees?
Fees yes, taxes no. Got hit with those when I got it back in my own state.
Most dealers use a 3P to title in all 50 states. That's just a poor dealer
That would have been nice.. it was a big hassle during covid to fiddle with plating the car, etc. Took me like 2 months to finally get license plates and I still don't have the title.
Topic Author
beingzero
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:46 am

Re: 2021 Volvo XC60

Post by beingzero »

Negotiated a bit further and getting it for 51500 OTD. I am going to pull the trigger as I need the vehicle now.
squirm
Posts: 3002
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: 2021 Volvo XC60

Post by squirm »

Why do you need to finance? Is it because you can't afford an outright purchase or something else?
squirm
Posts: 3002
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: 2021 Volvo XC60

Post by squirm »

Run it through truecar to give you a baseline.
User avatar
RootSki
Posts: 515
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:52 am

Re: 2021 Volvo XC60

Post by RootSki »

beingzero wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:58 pm Negotiated a bit further and getting it for 51500 OTD. I am going to pull the trigger as I need the vehicle now.
Good for you. The XC60 is an awesome car.
Here’s a link to the XC60 forum on Sweedespeed if you’re interested in joining us.
https://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdisp ... SPA-2018-)
Post Reply