iPhone SE 2020 or iPhone 12 Mini?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

iPhone SE 2020 or iPhone 12 Mini?

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

My wife and I are each looking to upgrade our iPhones. We both currently have an iPhone 6s from 2015 and are thinking of either getting the iPhone SE 2020 or the iPhone 12 Mini. We’re considering the 128 GB versions so the SE would cost about $490 after tax and the 12 Mini would be about $815.

We’re fairly frugal and want to keep costs reasonable but a good camera is important to us. It doesn’t need to be the top of the line but we would like a noticeable improvement over our current phones.

The feature that is throwing us for a bit of a loop is the 5G with the new iPhone 12. How important will this feature be if we keep these phones for, say, 3-5 years? In your opinion, is having 5G worth the extra cost or not really all that important?

Thanks for the input.

Re: iPhone SE 2020 or iPhone 12 Mini?

Post by 123 »

It may be a number of years before there is an effective rollout of 5G service in many areas of the country.

There may be broad areas of the country, including areas with low population density, where 5G service is not practical and where it will not be implemented.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks »

I've had an iPhone SE since they came out earlier this year. It's a good low cost phone.

Either phone will have a much better camera than your current iPhone 6s. The SE camera is good but it does not have night mode which makes a big difference. If you think you may want to take photos later in the evening/night then this feature alone could well be worth the extra money for the 12 Mini.

I wouldn't personally make a decision based on 5G at this point.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I looked over the available options. I'm going with the iPhone 12 Pro. I think, it gives you the best new options. I'm upgrading from an 8 Plus. Looks like I'll get $250 for it. It's worth it to me for the better camera. I don't carry a separate point and shoot camera. Something to think about. I'm going with the 256gb version. I like to shoot video on vacation with it too.

Given that you kept your previous far too long. I'd pay up.
Last edited by rockstar on Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
InvestorP

Post by InvestorP »

As I'm sure you know, technology moves fast. I think you'll be okay with the 5G. It will probably be quite a while before we move to the next technology beyond 5G. So if you're worried about the 3-5 years factor, you'll be fine. To give you a time frame, 4G was introduced back in 2010. So It's safe to say 5G will be around for a while if that's your main concern.

But if you do a lot of downloading and uploading on the road and you live in a populous city, then 5G would be good for you. But if video uploading, downloading, and game-playing is not your thing, then I don't see a reason to pay the extra cost for a 5G phone.
workerbeeengineer

Post by workerbeeengineer »

DW's iPhone 6 died last weekend. Officially, the iOS invoked "battery management" which as far as I am concerned means the phone was declared dead. She had noticed that the battery was not keeping much of a charge lately. Admittedly, DW had not updated the iOS in years, so perhaps an update of the OS would have resulted in more graceful degradation? In any event, we rushed to the local Verizon store on Saturday. Fortunately, there had been an appointment cancellation and we were able to enter the store after only a 10 minute wait. DW looked at variants of iPhone 11 versus iPhone SE. I think I have this correct...SE is basically a replacement for iPhone 6/7/8 for those who don't need/ care to have the latest technology. DW is not a power user, so pretty simple for her to decide to go with approximately $400 iPhone SE versus approximately $1000 iPhone 11. The lowest option SE has about 4x memory than the iPhone 6. DW went with that option. Verizon allows us to pay it off in monthly installments at zero interest rate. We could of paid it off immediately, but why not let Verizon float us a loan at 0% interest? To your question, I would assume brand new iPhone 12 is even higher priced than the iPhone 11. DW is happy to be back on air. She is having to repopulate her contacts some, but overall she is happy with the SE. Your call of course.
crystalbank

Post by crystalbank »

iPhone SE (2nd Gen) Pros:
+ Touch ID
+ Cheaper

iPhone SE (2nd Gen) Cons:
- Mediocre Design (Highly subjective)
- Lackluster Camera (Repurposed iPhone 8 sensor)
- Bigger than the original SE

iPhone 12 Mini Pros:
+ Very close to original SE design and size
+ Newer Camera
+ Better screen (OLED)
+ More Color choices
+ 5G (?)

iPhone 12 Mini Cons:
- FaceID only (Subjective)
- Expensive

Personally, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on 5G. It's still a new technology. But I really like the size, camera and design of iPhone 12 Mini so I'd choose the iPhone 12 Mini.
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:24 pm
The feature that is throwing us for a bit of a loop is the 5G with the new iPhone 12. How important will this feature be if we keep these phones for, say, 3-5 years? In your opinion, is having 5G worth the extra cost or not really all that important?
I know the pace of development of phones is slowing, but I'd still guess 3 years is pretty optimistic, and 5 is really unlikely to get from a phone. I agree with the others that 5G shouldn't be a driver now; your next one will definitely have it.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

This may be a little controversial but you could also consider a used XS (or Apple refurbished at $639). There will be plenty coming back on the second hand market from the people who upgrade every two years. Unlike the SE the XS has an optical zoom, 1080p video recording, and super retina display. Performance is still fine.

Biggest downside of XS is weight although in parts that's because it is built like a tank (heavy in weight and no way you will find it flimsy or cheap). It's heavy and the center of gravity has always seemed just a little off to me (top heavy). Mine is now 2 years old and I'm planning to keep it at least one more year so not a deal breaker.

Here's a comparison between your 6S, XS, and 12 mini:
https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/?d ... hone12mini

If you aren't picky about latest processor or display you should be able to get 3 more years out of an XS and I think would enjoy it more than an SE.
azanon

Post by azanon »

Price difference makes it no contest - i own the se 2020 and it’s super nice and more than fast enough.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I'd go for the Mini esp. if you plan to also keep the new one for 5 years as you did with the 6S. The bigger display, OLED instead of LCD, better camera and extra-wide-angle lens are worthwhile improvements over the SE, IMO, even setting 5G aside. Over 5 years we're talking about a difference of less than 20 cents a day.

The 12 Mini is actually smaller than the 6S and SE, so if you're willing to consider a small increase in size, then look at the 12 as well, especially since it will have better battery life. The SE will have similar battery life to your 6S when it was new, the 12 Mini a bit better, and the 12 a lot better.
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

I really appreciate the feedback, everyone. The thoughts on 5G are particularly helpful.

To touch upon a couple of things that have been mentioned, we have gotten 5 years out of our current 6s iPhones and could probably get a bit more. They are still working just fine but technology improvements combined with the battery not holding the charge as long anymore have made us think it's time to move on. If we were to get the SE, we might keep it for 3-4 years. If we go with the iPhone 12 mini, we'd try to push it closer to 5 years if possible.

I do have a follow up question: How much better is the camera on the iPhone 12 mini compared to the SE? The exact specs aren't necessary as it would just be jargon to me. In simple language, is the camera a little better or much better on the 12 compared to the SE?
CloveLeaf

Post by CloveLeaf »

I'd go for the 12 mini. It supports both a nano sim and an esim, making international travel very easy. Just pop in a new physical sim or scan a new QR code. Plus I prefer the square shape
crystalbank

Post by crystalbank »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:04 pm I do have a follow up question: How much better is the camera on the iPhone 12 mini compared to the SE? The exact specs aren't necessary as it would just be jargon to me. In simple language, is the camera a little better or much better on the 12 compared to the SE?
Much better.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:04 pm I do have a follow up question: How much better is the camera on the iPhone 12 mini compared to the SE? The exact specs aren't necessary as it would just be jargon to me. In simple language, is the camera a little better or much better on the 12 compared to the SE?
Well nobody knows for sure until reviewers get their hands on the 12. It should be a significant but probably not dramatic difference. The SE lacks the extra lens, Deep Fusion, and Night Mode that the 11 and 12 have. The latter two features will make a difference in low-light photos. In daylight outdoors you probably can’t tell a difference unless you zoom way in to look at the pixels.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Quirkz wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:20 pm
I know the pace of development of phones is slowing, but I'd still guess 3 years is pretty optimistic, and 5 is really unlikely to get from a phone. I agree with the others that 5G shouldn't be a driver now; your next one will definitely have it.
3-4 years is standard for an iphone, 5 is frequent.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Mini has sensors from newer generation. Has processing and software to improve the images, such as better performance in low lights. Has 2 cameras for 2 different photo scenarios.

As important or more, it has ~2200mah of battery capacity vs ~1800mah, and newer processor should be even more efficient to extend the battery life
onourway

Post by onourway »

My DW and I upgraded from a 6s and a 7 last year to an 11 and 11 Pro. The cameras were a huge upgrade, and of course the 12 is yet another step forward. With the 11 we are able, for the first time, to take pictures of our kids, indoors, at night, without a flash, and have them reliably look decent - even if the kids are (as usual) not standing still. Plus we get the wide angle lens which is great for outdoor shots, and on the Pro I get a 2x optical zoom as well. (The 12 mini lacks this).

If you care about picture quality, I would definitely go for the 12 mini over the SE.
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:24 pm My wife and I are each looking to upgrade our iPhones. We both currently have an iPhone 6s from 2015 and are thinking of either getting the iPhone SE 2020 or the iPhone 12 Mini. We’re considering the 128 GB versions so the SE would cost about $490 after tax and the 12 Mini would be about $815.

We’re fairly frugal and want to keep costs reasonable but a good camera is important to us. It doesn’t need to be the top of the line but we would like a noticeable improvement over our current phones.

Thanks for the input.
I actually bought the 11 Tuesday following the price drop. Bigger, better screen than the SE, better cameras, and stronger, prettier materials. I think the lineup of SE -> 11 -> 12 is now reasonably priced for the respective tiers. Already bought my wife the 11 a couple months ago and it is worlds better than the 6s I have been using. Screen seems huge at first but after just a couple days it's clear that a smaller screen like the SE's sacrifices quite a lot of the visual experience and does not give someone with the 6s that "new" feeling. I had been thinking I'd get myself the SE but realized the screen size was just too much "the same" for an upgrade. I think the price drop makes the 11 quite attractive for buyers upgrading from an 8 or older who are looking for that wow factor without spending $1k.

Didn't go for the 12 mini due to screen size and price. I'll get a 5g phone in 2 or 3 years when 5g isn't just a marketing gimmick for the ailing telecoms.
Last edited by whereskyle on Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
"I am better off than he is – for he knows nothing and thinks that he knows. I neither know nor think that I know." - Socrates. "Nobody knows nothing." - Jack Bogle
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

DW upgraded from 6s plus to SE2 over the summer. There were 2 reasons to go with the SE2:

1. DW is a luddite and doesn't want to move away from the home button. My struggles with FaceID in the "new normal" facemask era reinforces her thinking that TouchID is the way to go. The SE2 is the fastest iphone with a home button. It will likely be supported by Apple as long as an iPhone 11 Because they share the same processor.

2: I hate the notch. DW doesn't care about the notch.

Over 3 months, DW has noticed very little difference from her old 6s. Night pictures are a lot clearer and battery life is increased which was what prompted the upgrade. However, everyday usage, she's noticed zero speed increases despite 4 years of advancement. And in that respect, the SE2 succeeded for her. We got the 64 gb version and traded in her old 6s for $200 at TMobile.

The main camera is the same 12 megapixels and has been for many generations of iPhone. I notice a difference in an iPhone 6s vs 11 in low light. In an SE, there was hardly any difference at all to the 11. The reason is because 11 adds an ultrawide camera. If you compare the main camera, you'd be hard pressed to spot the difference. It would depend on how much you intend to use the ultrawide to determine if it is worthwhile. I obviously don't have a 12 to compare with but if it's similar to an 11, an ultrawide is not worth $400 more to me.

In the same vein as the camera, if you're not using the 100 mbs that 4G offers, then 5G won't be much of a game changer. Especially if you are in highly populated area, you will get significantly slower speeds as you have to share with more people. 5g will give you faster peak bandwidth and lower latency for games, supposedly. 3g is just barely being phased out today so I suspect 4g will be fully supported for the next 5 years when we will decide on the next upgrade.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Quirkz wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:20 pm I know the pace of development of phones is slowing, but I'd still guess 3 years is pretty optimistic, and 5 is really unlikely to get from a phone. I agree with the others that 5G shouldn't be a driver now; your next one will definitely have it.
I would never get 5 years out of a phone, but I would not be quick to suggest that someone looking to replace their current 5-year-old phone would not likely get 5 years out of the next one. Seems like a pretty good possibility, actually.

That said, I still wouldn't base your decision on 5G. It will be pretty ubiquitous by the time you're ready for another replacement. But you're still not missing out in the interim, because you're not a power user. How do I know this? You're using an iPhone 6s today. :mrgreen: If the 12 mini is worth it for you on its other merits (which it may or may not be), 5G is just a bonus.
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

Starfish wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:01 pm
Huh. I had 4 iPhones in 8 years. Longest lasted 2.5 years, shortest lasted 1.5, the other two were almost spot-on at 2. A couple had massive internal errors, a couple had battery life falling off a cliff. Maybe I've had really bad luck.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

IPhone 12 mini

Killer for me is magsafe charging.
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Thanks for the input, everyone. I will ask my wife to read the responses also and then we'll make a decision on which way to go.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

crystalbank wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:24 pm
Much better.
+1
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

I think it really comes down to whether the person is a technical power user or more of a lightweight, basic phone user.

12 is going have 5G, OLED, faster CPU. Maybe marginally better camera, wireless charging, size.
SE2 is much cheaper, but you're also getting a phone that's roughly equivalent to an iPhone 8.
A good compromise might be the base 11 since the price was just dropped by $100 this week.

Personally, I currently have an iPhone 6 which is now 6 years old. So I personally would rather spend a bit more now and 'drive it into the ground' vs. someone who prefers to 'lease' - buying a new phone every 1-2 years. I also work in IT and am a geek, and appreciate/value the OLED vs. LCD and what 5G brings. That said, I don't think 5G support is going to be deal breaker or world changing in 2020, but 2-4 years from now might be much more significant. Even on my LTE iPhone 6, i notice how much worse my coverage is over time due to carriers changing support for freq channels.
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Quirkz wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:52 am
Huh. I had 4 iPhones in 8 years. Longest lasted 2.5 years, shortest lasted 1.5, the other two were almost spot-on at 2. A couple had massive internal errors, a couple had battery life falling off a cliff. Maybe I've had really bad luck.
I have had 2 iPhones in 8 years, a 4s that I used for 3 years (which I got when the 5 came out so it was discounted) and a 6s that I have used for the 5 years. I feel that the technology has improved enough that I'm ready to upgrade but this is certainly a want more than a need because there is nothing wrong with my 6s and I could keep using it for at least a bit longer. I am surprised that you have had massive failures with so many phones in a row. That seems unusual to me.

We also have a couple of iPads that are over 5 years old which work fine (iPad Air 1 and 2). My daughter uses the iPad Air 1, which came out back in 2013, for distance learning with her kindergarten class. It is working better than the school-provided Chromebook. Other Apple products we own include 3rd generation Apple TVs, which came out 8 years ago. I use those regularly to stream HBO Max onto the TV from my phone and to watch live news, shows, and YouTube videos. I don't like to upgrade devices too often as this stuff (obviously) costs a bunch of money and I wish to keep our expenses at a desired level. That being said, I am willing to pay a bit more for features I consider worthwhile so long as the cost isn't too outrageous.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

:arrow:
crystalbank wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:12 pm iPhone SE (2nd Gen) Pros:
+ Touch ID
+ Cheaper

iPhone 12 Mini Pros:
+ Newer Camera
+ Better screen (OLED)
+ More Color choices
+ 5G (?)

iPhone 12 Mini Cons:
- Expensive

Personally, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on 5G. It's still a new technology. But I really like the size, camera and design of iPhone 12 Mini so I'd choose the iPhone 12 Mini.
Interesting. I think Face ID is a big plus.

Another plus for the mini is bigger screen.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

The mini has a bigger screen than my current 7.
anoop

Post by anoop »

IMO, 5G is a non issue. Decide which you like better and buy that. Preferably handle both in the store. The Mini is smaller and lighter than the SE while having a bigger screen, so that itself might make it more desirable.
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

+ Touch ID
+ Cheaper

iPhone 12 Mini Pros:
+ Newer Camera
+ Better screen (OLED)
+ More Color choices
+ 5G (?)

iPhone 12 Mini Cons:
- Expensive

Are you saying, you can ONLY use FaceID to unlock the phone? They have taken away the passcode entirely?
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

JD2775 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:36 pm
+ Touch ID
+ Cheaper

iPhone 12 Mini Pros:
+ Newer Camera
+ Better screen (OLED)
+ More Color choices
+ 5G (?)

iPhone 12 Mini Cons:
- Expensive

Are you saying, you can ONLY use FaceID to unlock the phone? They have taken away the passcode entirely?
I think Apple dropped the ball by not including TouchID on the power button as they do on the new iPad. Having been so used to TouchID, I'm forced to type in my passcode now since we have to wear masks. If they had included it, this might've been enough to tip me over to get a 12.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Always get the newest technology, especially if you tend to keep your phones too long.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Incorrect- deleted Correct info
Last edited by Dottie57 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Dottie57 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:57 pm I can’t believe no one else thinks that MagSafe is the cat’s meow. It allows charging while on the go and the ability to make/receive calls while charging. Terrific.
Sorry for my ignorance on this but what is MagSafe? Is it wireless charging?
anoop

Post by anoop »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:53 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:57 pm I can’t believe no one else thinks that MagSafe is the cat’s meow. It allows charging while on the go and the ability to make/receive calls while charging. Terrific.
https://www.engadget.com/apple-magsafe- ... 57651.html

I don't see it as much of a game changer.
onourway

Post by onourway »

I mean I think it's an elegant solution to the real problem of wireless charging needing to fuss with the placement to hit the sweet spot, and I think it will develop some interesting accessories, and make cases a lot less of a hassle, but we've always been able to make/receive calls while on the go via a regular cable. :confused
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:53 pm
I misunderstood the magsafe thing. I watched the Apple event.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Dottie57 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:57 pm

******* OOPS****
Incorrect info
02nz

Post by 02nz »

onourway wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:10 pm
I mean I think it's an elegant solution to the real problem of wireless charging needing to fuss with the placement to hit the sweet spot, and I think it will develop some interesting accessories, and make cases a lot less of a hassle, but we've always been able to make/receive calls while on the go via a regular cable. :confused
Or a Bluetooth headset. I charged my phones wirelessly for a bit but now stick to wired charging, as it's much faster with USB Power Delivery (2x-3x the speed of the 7.5W wireless charging Apple allows) and doesn't produce nearly as much heat. All else being the same, wireless charging will degrade batteries more quickly because of the extra heat.
anoop

Post by anoop »

onourway wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:10 pm
I think the message Apple is trying to get through is that the MagSafe charger is a wireless changer (so no need for lightning cable). But, with Qi wireless chargers, if you wanted to pick up the phone to make a call, charging would stop. With MagSafe, since the charger sticks to the phone, you can pick it up and make a call.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

mmmodem wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:57 pm I think Apple dropped the ball by not including TouchID on the power button as they do on the new iPad. Having been so used to TouchID, I'm forced to type in my passcode now since we have to wear masks. If they had included it, this might've been enough to tip me over to get a 12.
I wish they'd included it, too, it would be very useful during these pandemic times. But the cycle of their designs (and sourcing) almost certainly didn't allow them to make this change in time for this year's iPhones. The iPad Air 4's inclusion of Touch ID is primarily a cost-cutting measure (compared to the Face ID on the iPad Pro, to which the Air 4 is otherwise very similar), Apple likely made that design choice well before the pandemic.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

anoop wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:22 pm
I think the message Apple is trying to get through is that the MagSafe charger is a wireless changer (so no need for lightning cable). But, with Qi wireless chargers, if you wanted to pick up the phone to make a call, charging would stop. With MagSafe, since the charger sticks to the phone, you can pick it up and make a call.
I have a Qi cradle and a lightning cable at my desk. I use the cradle when making calls using the phone's speaker and camera. If I need more privacy I plug the phone into the lightning cable. Not sure picking up the charger with the phone is entirely better as would still need a few feet of extra cable on the charger. Would rather have the separate cable I can easily tuck away when not in use or put in backpack if I need to take the cable with me.

15W charge would help in a few use cases (such as a top up when near power just for a few minutes), but to be honest I don't have a lot of complaints about battery life now that I'm not spending time in airports.
Leif

Post by Leif »

If you plan to keep the new phone a long time (which is your pattern) I would go with the 12. That way you get 5G once it develops. If you only plan on keeping it 3 or less years I would go with the SE 2.

I keep phone longer than most. I have a 6 plus from 2014. I've had two battery replacements. The bottom mic no longer works, but I can call using the speaker option. I'm looking at either the 12 or 12 Mini. I'll probably decide once in the store.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I'm an android guy (funny thing to say), but my wife likes a small phone so I bought her an SE 2020 and she likes it a lot. Her previous phone was an iPhone 6s. She especially likes the camera...she takes a lot of photos.

Having owned several phones including Apple and Samsung flagships, medium priced phones, and cheapies, these days the technology has improved to the point where there is little advantage of one over the other, and certainly you don't get a lot more for your money as you go up in price. Often you lose features like expandable storage on flagship models, and often battery life is better on cheaper phones with less powerful processors (if you don't do a lot of demanding tasks with your phone you will notice little difference related to processing power). The expensive ones tend to have slightly better displays and slightly better cameras. That said, you won't lose sleep over dropping a cheap phone in the toilet as you would with a flagship model.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Most of the ground has been covered, so I'll just vote for iPhone 12 Mini for the various reasons mentioned. Plus it helps Apple and Apple stock, which helps the market, which helps all BH here.

The list price difference is about $300, but I think the difference will be wider in actual prices paid if you shop around, which may change your choice.
Quirkz wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:52 amHuh. I had 4 iPhones in 8 years. Longest lasted 2.5 years, shortest lasted 1.5, the other two were almost spot-on at 2. A couple had massive internal errors, a couple had battery life falling off a cliff. Maybe I've had really bad luck.
Thanks for helping Apple Stock and market? Is a shiny new iPhone 12 Pro Max on order? Are you a heavy user? Active user? Early adopter? Were any recalled (battery on 5 or 6/6s)? What kind of case or protection? Dropped often or severely? It's quite a bit of bad luck from my experience. I know people who use and abuse their phones and sometimes the screen cracks, and the phone keeps on going.

I didn't realize how much abuse these phone can get, or take, until I saw some of the scratches and dents on used phones. Gouges so deep on every corner that it was clearly dropped often on hard surfaces.

I passed down a 2-3 year old phone in good condition that came back with a known digitizer problem. The issue is the connection to a chip was loose, so you can blame design or manufacturing. But later I found a small chip or crack on the screen between the top of the screen and speaker, so I suspect a drop help knock loose the connection.

Anyway, don't know how much more or less protection the iPhone 12 Mini has, but the screen should survive drops from 12 feet vs 3 feet, or thrown 4 times harder when you're upset, or 4 times as often. Hopefully, it's as built as strong as the 11, if not improved. As far as defect rate, seems to be showing a improving trend.

Apple’s new iPhone 12 line-up comes with a ceramic-hardened display
Four times more resistant to damage from drops
https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/13/215 ... c-hardened

iPhone 11 bend test shows it's built like a tank
You can bend it but the iPhone 11 won't give out.
https://www.imore.com/iphone-11-bend-te ... built-tank

https://www.statista.com/statistics/804 ... worldwide/
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

inbox788 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:03 pm
Quirkz wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:52 amHuh. I had 4 iPhones in 8 years. Longest lasted 2.5 years, shortest lasted 1.5, the other two were almost spot-on at 2. A couple had massive internal errors, a couple had battery life falling off a cliff. Maybe I've had really bad luck.
Thanks for helping Apple Stock and market? Is a shiny new iPhone 12 Pro Max on order? Are you a heavy user? Active user? Early adopter? Were any recalled (battery on 5 or 6/6s)? What kind of case or protection? Dropped often or severely? It's quite a bit of bad luck from my experience. I know people who use and abuse their phones and sometimes the screen cracks, and the phone keeps on going.
Someone's always quick to blame the user. (I work in IT; I should know. :D ) Work phones, so I never paid. Light user. Not especially active. Definitely not early adopter. No recalls [edited to add: actually one was a 6, so maybe it was recalled and I just didn't hear about it?]. Always had a case. Rarely dropped -- a few times per phone, but always while in the case, and to no visible damage. Except the first one, which I dropped the very first week from about 6 inches onto concrete, hit the corner just wrong, and shattered the back. The front was undamaged, though, and it worked fine for 1.9 years until it just didn't one day.

The first one started misreading touch and button presses, especially the home button. Second one got really, really hot one night while charging and then refused to charge again. Other two began with decent battery life and after two years got to the point where I couldn't get through a whole day at work, doing work things and just letting them sit there idle, without running out of charge by the end of the day.

Work stopped buying phones a while back. I've got an Android now, a Moto G7 that will go 5 days on a charge even at a year old. Has a headphone jack, too. As it was only $120, I'll be totally thrilled if I only get 2 years out of it.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Quirkz wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:52 am
I had 2 smartphones my entire life: 5SE (still functional) for 4 years and a 7 for almost 4 years now.
And I was not very careful with them either. For example I dropped the 7 (no case, very slipery) in the first day and broke the screen (never repaired) and then I dropped in the ocean about 5 times. My notion of taking care of it is to rinse it with fresh water later that day and take the the sand out of the connector after it takes a bath in salty water. I still don't use a case although I used one for a while.
There are a lot 6, 6S out there and I know personally people with 5SE used actively and still running.
Before I was no a heavy user (3-4h a day) but since the pandemic I use a lot the hotspot.

I haver never paid the full price. The 7 was free with 2 years contract at Virgin (now gone).