Favorite Science Fiction Movies

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Baker1357

Re: Favorite Science Fiction Movies

Post by Baker1357 »

Agree they should make a movie of the Honor Harrington books.
egrets

Post by egrets »

mmcmonster wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:18 pm A bunch of fans bought the original sets from the TV show. They then convinced a couple writers from the show and associated novels to come up with new episodes. They then filmed a fifth season to the original show!

The episodes are all fantastic. They have the look and feel of the original show, but in high definition. And the last two episodes are a two-parter that completes the "5 year journey" they were on and dovetails into the first movie.

It's called Star Trek Continues, and is available online for free: https://www.startrekcontinues.com/
This reminds me that there are a bunch of fan Star Trek videos and CDs. I have some of them but then my attention drifted elsewhere. I think they ran into some legal trouble as well.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

mmcmonster wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:18 pm
Traveller wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:14 pm
jjface wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:52 pm What no Trekkies?!
At least one. I really enjoyed the 2009 Star Trek movie, and the 2013 follow-up.
For anyone who's remotely a fan of the original Star Trek TV show...

A bunch of fans bought the original sets from the TV show. They then convinced a couple writers from the show and associated novels to come up with new episodes. They then filmed a fifth season to the original show!

The episodes are all fantastic. They have the look and feel of the original show, but in high definition. And the last two episodes are a two-parter that completes the "5 year journey" they were on and dovetails into the first movie.

It's called Star Trek Continues, and is available online for free: https://www.startrekcontinues.com/
It seems the original sets were not bought, new ones were constructed. This from the website:

“STAGE 9 STUDIOS contains a full-scale suite of Constitution-class starship sets modeled after those used in the original STAR TREK series, including: the bridge, transporter room, engineering, sickbay, briefing room, captain's quarters, auxiliary control, a 100 foot-long corridor, a nearby green screen location, and much more!”

“STC shot in an 18,500-square-foot studio which housed the largest, most complete standing TOS sets in the world — including the bridge, corridors, turbolifts, quarters, sickbay, briefing/rec room, transporter room, Jefferies tube, engineering, auxiliary control, shuttlecraft, planet set, and much more — precisely constructed using the original Star Trek blueprints (see the interactive virtual tour above).”
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

One must start with 2001. It was so groundbreaking and wide in scope.
Bladerunner. The original is a film noire SF movie done to perfection.
Star Wars. The first one. "The Empire Strikes Back" is also excellent.
Time After Time! I haven't watched that in years, but it's worth seeing again.
Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I prefer the remake with Donald Sutherland.
Alien and Aliens. Both very good, and I like others in the series, but these two are best.
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

If we are doing TV as well, Black Mirror is incredible. On Netflix.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I like the X Files movies (and of course the series). In fact I am watching the last two seasons on Hulu that I never saw before. The reboot.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

1. Forbidden Planet - the 1950s SF film to end all SF films, although seeing Leslie Nielsen as a young actor, after Airplane and Sgt Frank Dreplin, is a bit hard to keep a straight face. Star Trek, the Original Series, really picks up where FP left off (particularly if you have ever seen the full pilot episode of Star Trek "The Cage" which was later excerpted to make "The Menagerie") in "Where No Man Has Gone Before"

2. Blade Runner (the Director's Cut)

3. Arrival - Amy Adams is just stunning in a film which is profoundly moving and thought provoking

4. Gattaca

5. Total Recall - Arnie S did a lot in the SF genre, this is perhaps his second best

6. Aliens (Alien is in fact a better movie, but it's a horror movie as much as anything else; Aliens is a very informed by the whole Science Fiction adventure genre - a script that could have been written by half a dozen SF authors, use of SF tropes like military sentry robot, the cargo Walkers etc)

7. A Scanner Darkly. A flawed film - perhaps because Philip K Dick could set up situations brilliantly but then his resolutions were often flat. But the realisation, in animation, of Bob Arctor, an undercover cop pursuing a drug dealer who might be ... Bob Arctor ... is just fantastic

8. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (and sequel) - Be Excellent! What more can I say?

9. Back to the Future

10. Mad Max II (The Road Warrior) has much to commend itself, although it is really a western. But it's a good western.

11. The Terminator - Arnie's best SF film

12. Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider II - with Angelina Jolie, in the original German ;-). Seriously, they are even more fun when you don't speak the language into which they are dubbed - they make more sense.

13. Solo & Rogue One: a Star Wars Tale - it is the 2 spinoff movies that get closer to the true spirit (Solo) of the Samurai Western-- pack more character development into the series than was managed since the original trilogy. Rogue One is different and much darker in tone, but Felicity Jones just steals the screen - her portrait of the desperate resistance fighter, trying to survive, is just so powerful (and the Imperial Base they break in to is my local Tube/ subway station, I used to head to work imagining the storm troopers charging by in the other direction ;-)).

14. Wall-E. The second half is a bit dull, but the first 45 minutes are just completely rivetting film-making. A thousand environmental messages & rivetting romance in a 45 minutes where not one word is spoken, and the characters are 2 robots and a cockroach.

I would actually put a vote in there for "Starship Troopers" - which is actually a satire (as is Total Recall) but I don't think many viewers got that.

Stretching the point I would add "Conan the Barbarian" and "Conan the Destroyer" as 2 classic sword & sorcery pictures, both quite close to the original Robert E Howard mood. Red Sonja, on the other hand, is one of the worst movies that I have ever seen- so there you go.

The list of bad SF movies is at least 3x as long, and then there's the Star Wars tales (the original trilogy is worth it; the next 2 trilogies? Echhh...)
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Glad to see some love for Gattaca. It's a modern classic.

How about The Thirteenth Floor? It's maybe more noir than sci-fi, but then so is Bladerunner, so I guess that's okay.
Stay on target...
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

It's debatable whether super hero movies are sci-fi or fantasy, maybe both. I've enjoyed at least half of the more recent Marvel universe movies, but I'd guess anyone who might like them probably already knows about them.

If you do like them and you somehow skipped Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse, because it was animated, it's extremely good and worth watching.

I'd also throw in Big Hero 6, which is a kids' movie, but a lot of fun.

Mystery Men is an older one, and very campy, but I love it.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Quirkz wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:32 pm If you do like them and you somehow skipped Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse, because it was animated, it's extremely good and worth watching.
I am NOT a super-hero movie fan, but I was drug to the theater for Spiderverse and I have to say, it was a very good movie. It is even a bit more Sci-Fi than usual for the genre. The animation was perfect.
pianisto

Post by pianisto »

Longtime lurker/first-time poster. Of all the posts, finally had to create an account just to second ValueThinker's list here. In particular, love to see Gattaca and Wall-E here. Gattaca's relevance grows over time. Brilliant casting and acting. As for Wall-E, just recently argued with a friend that it's not just a children's movie. Beautiful.
Cheers!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Valuethinker wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:24 pm Red Sonja, on the other hand, is one of the worst movies that I have ever seen- so there you go.
I totally agree.

pianisto, Welcome! Yes, Wall-E is not just for kids. It's a very good movie.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
William4589

Post by William4589 »

Oblivion.

"We are an effective team."
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

pianisto wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:17 pm "As for Wall-E, just recently argued with a friend that it's not just a children's movie."
Yeah, few Pixar films are mere "children's movies", and if your friend is avoiding them because of that, they're missing out on some wonderful cinema.
Stay on target...
pianisto

Post by pianisto »

Agreed. Pixar's Inside Out another gem, though probably no longer in the SciFi category...
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

JupiterJones wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:16 pm Glad to see some love for Gattaca. It's a modern classic.

How about The Thirteenth Floor? It's maybe more noir than sci-fi, but then so is Bladerunner, so I guess that's okay.
I don't know the 13th Floor. Will have to look it up.

"Being John Malkovich" is, in effect, a Science Fiction film. A very strange one ..
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:29 pm
Valuethinker wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:24 pm Red Sonja, on the other hand, is one of the worst movies that I have ever seen- so there you go.
I totally agree.

pianisto, Welcome! Yes, Wall-E is not just for kids. It's a very good movie.
Wall-E is not primarily a children's movie, I don't think.

It is full of references only an adult would get. For example the dance in space, with the fire extinguisher, is Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.

The message is so universal, and so powerful. It is a film for the ages.
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

Dune 1984 version
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

retiringwhen wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:47 pm
Quirkz wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:32 pm If you do like them and you somehow skipped Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse, because it was animated, it's extremely good and worth watching.
I am NOT a super-hero movie fan, but I was drug to the theater for Spiderverse and I have to say, it was a very good movie. It is even a bit more Sci-Fi than usual for the genre. The animation was perfect.
A sublime movie. A colleague is of Ghanaian origin - the effect on his young son (of mixed racial origin) of that movie.

Aunt May. Still cackling over the portrayal of Aunt May.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

3feetpete wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:47 pm Dune 1984 version
Was that the one with William Hurt? That was a TV miniseries?

The Dino de Laurentis Kyle Machlachlan film just fell apart - probably too much of a book to cram into a movie.

(Remembering the first Lord of the Rings movie, by Ralph Bakshi, is totally forgotten).
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

JupiterJones wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:16 pm Glad to see some love for Gattaca. It's a modern classic.

Blade Runner. Philip K Dick was trying to write a noir SF novel. But with the classic Dick tropes about identity (See Total Recall, A Scanner Darkly etc). The replicants run their own, completely identical SF PD, with the same people - which hunts replicants ...

Blade Runner had a superb script, and some fantastic acting (Sebastian, Tyrell, Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer)).
bob991

Post by bob991 »

The Thing (1984 version).

I hear there's a Foundation series coming out, one of my favorite book series from when I was a kid. I am cautiously optimistic but fear it'll be given the I, Robot Hollywood treatment.
stereotaxis

Post by stereotaxis »

Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
Interstellar (2014)
Gattaca (1997)
Primer (2004)

Tenet (2020) probably, but have to watch it couple more times to better understand it.
msheald

Post by msheald »

Hello! Expanse, the Martian, and Gattaca are some of the best Hard SF productions. Best regards.

Mike
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Is Contagion just fiction, or does it fall into science fiction? Just re-watched it.

Star Wars (Episodes 4-6, anyway).

Star Trek - Wrath of Khan, First Contact

I remember liking The Andromeda Strain.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Solaris. Both version but Tarkovsky is less commercial. The Stalker is good too, although not a "real" SF movie.
I really liked first Matrix back in the day, as a teenager. Only first one. It has so many layers.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

bob991 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:07 pm The Thing (1984 version).

I hear there's a Foundation series coming out, one of my favorite book series from when I was a kid. I am cautiously optimistic but fear it'll be given the I, Robot Hollywood treatment.
That's the problem. These things don't map well to the screen.

You have to have screenwriters who genuinely love Science Fiction, and I think they are few and far between.

Someone like Margaret Atwood can give a speech denouncing "that raygun stuff" and then write bestselling "serious" fiction which is essentially SF, and get away with the false dichotomy between "serious" fiction and Science Fiction.* (She may later have relented, not sure).

Particularly when The Handmaid's Tale has a strikingly similar setting and plot to Robert A Heinlein's novella If This Goes On.

* she should read Octavia Butler.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

bob991 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:07 pm The Thing (1984 version).

Luckily, for us, there is a 4th foundation that, I'm quite sure, will ensure history is not repeated from aberrations like I, Robot.
skeptic42

Post by skeptic42 »

Equilibrium
Evolution
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

List is lenghty
but will only list a big bunch of my favorites

Blade Runner
Alien(s)
Forbidden Planet
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (close call but original)
Star Trek (various movies)
Mad Max Fury Road
Serenity
A Queit Place
Snowpiercer
Total Recall (original)
Brazil
Day the Earth Stood Still (original)
TheTerminator
2001 Space Odyssey
The Damned
Westworld
The Thing
Predator
Metropolis
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

Valuethinker wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:50 pm
3feetpete wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:47 pm Dune 1984 version
Was that the one with William Hurt? That was a TV miniseries?

The Dino de Laurentis Kyle Machlachlan film just fell apart - probably too much of a book to cram into a movie.

(Remembering the first Lord of the Rings movie, by Ralph Bakshi, is totally forgotten).
No: It was the Dino De Laurentis Kyle Machlachlan film. I thought it was great https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087182/
VaR

Post by VaR »

I'm glad some earlier posters mentioned Brazil and Gattaca. The other bigger movies are more often remembered but these two along with the old classics remain some of my favorites, along with Bladerunner which has benefitted from a higher profile thanks to Bladerunner 2049.

12 Monkeys also bears mentioning.

Has anyone mentioned The Matrix? It obviously belongs on *someone's* list. I can't remember anyone mentioning Back to the Future, but someone must have.

All in all, a great thread. Here are some additional movies I'm not sure have been mentioned before.
Arrival
12 Monkeys
Monsters
Children of Men
Soylent Green
squirm

Post by squirm »

coalcracker wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:28 pm Alien and Aliens are both close to masterpieces. I was born the year Alien was released, but it still holds up.
Older than you, but completely agree. Those two movies are awesome, I still don't know which one I like more.
madpunster

Post by madpunster »

Forbidden Planet (loosely based on The Tempest)
Five Million Years to Earth (Quatermass and the Pit in the UK)
Last edited by madpunster on Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

VaR wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:15 pm
Has anyone mentioned The Matrix?
The first one, absolutely. Never gets old. The sequels, however, I have no interest in seeing again.
TJSI

Post by TJSI »

Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Both and a rare case where the second version is as good as or even better than the original.

I'll throw it out there, King Kong-- the original. I don't know if it is science fiction but it was a great movie.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

The new DUNE is coming in 2021! Whoooooo!
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

Does Predator count? :)
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Gattaca
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Threads
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Case59 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:31 pm 5. Arrival (very under-appreciated, IMO)
I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed that one.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

egrets wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:18 pm
mmcmonster wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:18 pm A bunch of fans bought the original sets from the TV show. They then convinced a couple writers from the show and associated novels to come up with new episodes. They then filmed a fifth season to the original show!

This reminds me that there are a bunch of fan Star Trek videos and CDs. I have some of them but then my attention drifted elsewhere. I think they ran into some legal trouble as well.
If you are a fan of the original Star Trek, try watching "USS Callister," which is an episode of Black Mirror, on Netflix. Highly creative twist on (or homage to) the original series blended in with modern technology, gaming, cyberspace, genetics. Really inventive writing.
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:02 am The Blob (1958) was a good film. A great combination of humor, teenage angst, an outer space monster, terror, all wrapped up together in a 1950s drive-in movie. Also first starring role for Steve McQueen!
+1 for The Blob but I may be biased because I have immediate family members that were part of the film crew.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I don't know why, but I just thought this movie belonged here (as it does have a little sci fi in it), if you haven't seen it, you are in for a treat.

The Prestige
Angst

Post by Angst »

dziuniek wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:49 pm The new DUNE is coming in 2021! Whoooooo!
Reading it right now! A lot of fun, good story.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Minority Report
Gattaca
Arrival
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

Omega Man 1971. Like it so much I even bought the soundtrack.

Demolition Man 1993. "You'll regret that for the rest of your life, both seconds of it."
johnrbain

Post by johnrbain »

The Man From Earth - the 2007 film.
No special effects but well written and acted.
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Howdy

The Man Who Fell to Earth

I thought David Bowie was awesome in the lead
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
Watty

Post by Watty »

For thinking outside the box here are a few that you might not normally consider as being science fiction but when you think about it they could be classified that way.

1) Groundhog day

2) The Wizard of Oz

3) Frankenstein (The original)