Election calls

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Savingscaptain

Election calls

Post by Savingscaptain »

Hi folks,

I am irritated by all the text messages and calls about elections. How did this people get my info? How can I opt out of my info being shared. Already on do not call lists.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: Election calls

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

block number as they come in. smartphones make that easy to do. also assume these will reduce after 11/3/2020.

also try nomorobo:
https://www.nomorobo.com/
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich »

I just simply stopped answering any unknown calls years ago. Voicemail gets transcribed to text so it's easy to skim who it was and delete.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I have not been answering unrecognized calls on my mobile phone for years (no land line phone). I have not missed anything important yet. Doctor offices and other legitimate businesses will leave a voice mail message. When I call back within a few seconds they expect it, so I expect many people are doing the same.

With friends we text each other first to say "free to chat?" then call.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Tell them you only want election puts. :P
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

Instead of complaining you could invest in the software companies that enable this communication.

TWLO
BAND
VG

All are up big this year. If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I set up a whitelist on my home phone of my family, friends, medical providers, and one or two others. Everyone else is blocked. My phone has not rung once with an unwanted call since I did that. The whitelist is through my service provider (AT&T), yours might offer something similar.

I do something like this on my iPhone; with my phone set on Do Not Disturb, it allows contacts on my contacts list to ring through, all others are blocked.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Political calls are exempt from the do not call list.

Campaigns can purchase voting records. They may also purchase third party voter files with even more information.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:51 pm I set up a whitelist on my home phone of my family, friends, medical providers, and one or two others. Everyone else is blocked. My phone has not rung once with an unwanted call since I did that. The whitelist is through my service provider (AT&T), yours might offer something similar.

I do something like this on my iPhone; with my phone set on Do Not Disturb, it allows contacts on my contacts list to ring through, all others are blocked.
Another approach is to toggle "Silence Unknown Callers". Calls from unknown numbers go straight to voicemail. No need to set Do Not Disturb.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

Katietsu wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:58 pm Political calls are exempt from the do not call list.

Campaigns can purchase voting records. They may also purchase third party voter files with even more information.
You can exclude your phone number and email address from voter records.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

stan1 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:25 pm I have not been answering unrecognized calls on my mobile phone for years (no land line phone). I have not missed anything important yet. Doctor offices and other legitimate businesses will leave a voice mail message. When I call back within a few seconds they expect it, so I expect many people are doing the same.

With friends we text each other first to say "free to chat?" then call.
This is us. No need for a landline and I never answer a call unless I know who it is. If it's important, they'll leave a message.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

palanzo wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:02 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:51 pm I set up a whitelist on my home phone of my family, friends, medical providers, and one or two others. Everyone else is blocked. My phone has not rung once with an unwanted call since I did that. The whitelist is through my service provider (AT&T), yours might offer something similar.

Another approach is to toggle "Silence Unknown Callers". Calls from unknown numbers go straight to voicemail. No need to set Do Not Disturb.
This can backfire btw. We had a minor medical issue with a kid on a Sunday. We left a message for the on-call pediatrician, but her private number is unsurprisingly hidden on caller ID so it was auto blocked. She left a voicemail but couldn't give a callback number other than the main answering service. It was a bit of a problem since we didn't understand at the time why her calls weren't getting through.

Just be aware that in the event you need a callback you will want to disable this feature.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

dukeblue219 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:41 pm
palanzo wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:02 pm

This can backfire btw. We had a minor medical issue with a kid on a Sunday. We left a message for the on-call pediatrician, but her private number is unsurprisingly hidden on caller ID so it was auto blocked. She left a voicemail but couldn't give a callback number other than the main answering service. It was a bit of a problem since we didn't understand at the time why her calls weren't getting through.

Just be aware that in the event you need a callback you will want to disable this feature.
Good point. I had to disable when I was waiting for a call back from a Government office recently.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

1). Sign up for Google Voice.
2). Use this as the only phone number you give out.
3). Add GV app to smartphone for making outbound calls.
4). Set phone to permanent do not disturb.
5). Disable cell phone carrier voicemail and find the code string you need to enter to forward all incoming calls on cell number to GV voicemail.

I went many years without an actual phone — just Grand Central (which became Google Voice). GV spam filters most calls. With this setup, it is impossible for anybody to actually call — simply no way exists for my iPhone to ring. It’s great.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

AerialWombat wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:51 pm 1). Sign up for Google Voice.
2). Use this as the only phone number you give out.
3). Add GV app to smartphone for making outbound calls.
4). Set phone to permanent do not disturb.
5). Disable cell phone carrier voicemail and find the code string you need to enter to forward all incoming calls on cell number to GV voicemail.

I went many years without an actual phone — just Grand Central (which became Google Voice). GV spam filters most calls. With this setup, it is impossible for anybody to actually call — simply no way exists for my iPhone to ring. It’s great.
I'm not sure how this is different to "Silence Unknown Callers"?
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

palanzo wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:08 pm I'm not sure how this is different to "Silence Unknown Callers"?
I’m not familiar with that phone feature. But based on the name, sounds like “known callers” can still call.

I wanted an absolute one-way comms box, outgoing only. I have not had a phone ring for me in about 15 years. There is nobody and nothing so important that I need to be reachable by phone, ever (and I run a seven-figure business with thousands of customers).
Last edited by AerialWombat on Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mpsz

Post by mpsz »

I'm curious about this as well. In my state, phone number is marked optional on the registration to vote, and I absolutely never give out optional information on government forms. Yet, I'm still getting these messages and they are personalized with my information. I assume they are matching my name/address to some other source where I was required to give a phone number (DMV?).
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

mpsz wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:17 pm I'm curious about this as well. In my state, phone number is marked optional on the registration to vote, and I absolutely never give out optional information on government forms. Yet, I'm still getting these messages and they are personalized with my information. I assume they are matching my name/address to some other source where I was required to give a phone number (DMV?).
Anybody with a credit card can use any one of hundreds of online “data append” services to add phone numbers, email addresses, etc. to any Excel spreadsheet of names and addresses.
celia

Post by celia »

After the election results settle down, contact your registrar of voters to have your phone and email address removed. You will have to do this for everyone in your household at the same time, though. I saw where one person in my household (away at school) still had our home phone listed and the registrar then propagated it back to the rest of the household. So we had to call again.

Although rare, it is also possible that someone else's voter information has a typo in their phone number that happens to be your phone number. So, you might ask that all voter records be searched. (I witnessed this when working at the precincts and the voter even knew who the other person was!) Poll workers might also have the ability to report this for you.

It is too late to change it for the upcoming election as the campaigns already have your contact information. For now, all you can do is block them one by one as they come in.
Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound »

Katietsu wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:58 pm Political calls are exempt from the do not call list.

Your voter registration records are public information and are bought by those campaigning. Last summer I visited my Voter Registration office and removed my email and phone number from my voter record. That is optional information, it is not required to register to vote. Then had a lovely lunch in a nearby deli.

Told my friends and neighbors to do the same as they had complained about getting calls and texts from various campaigns that were unrelenting. Recently polled them and found none of them changed their voter record contact info and all of them have been hounded nonstop with calls and texts through this campaign cycle. Not me. Nothing. Quiet as a mouse.

If you get unwanted texts, type in the word STOP, nothing else and hit send. They must remove your number from their 'contact' list. Incoming calls are best dealt with by not answering or using one of the call filters already mentioned. Once we get past this election cycle put it on your to-do list to contact your voter registration office and get that optional contact info dropped from your record before it all starts up again.
investor4life

Post by investor4life »

Savingscaptain wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:46 pm Hi folks,

I am irritated by all the text messages and calls about elections. How did this people get my info? How can I opt out of my info being shared. Already on do not call lists.
Once I started telling the callers that I voted for the candidate from the other party, the calls went down dramatically. :twisted:

The snail mail that I get from various organizations asking me to register/vote...they go into the shredder.
Topic Author
Savingscaptain

Post by Savingscaptain »

It's funny how many of register to vote mail has "advertising " on it
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

I'm volunteering for campaigns so I'm on the other side of these.

If you just reply STOP to a text, or ask someone to kindly unsubscribe, then they will do it. Unfortunately, that will only apply to that specific campaign / outreach group.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

AerialWombat wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:16 pm
palanzo wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:08 pm I'm not sure how this is different to "Silence Unknown Callers"?
I’m not familiar with that phone feature. But based on the name, sounds like “known callers” can still call.
Not sure how android does it but on an apple phones, an unknown caller is anyone not in your contact book. So only contacts on your specific phone with a phone number will ring through. Unknown callers go directly to voicemail. I would guess android phones do the exact same thing.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

whodidntante wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:30 pm Tell them you only want election puts. :P
lol
It's a GREAT day to be alive! - Travis Tritt
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

whodidntante wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:30 pm Tell them you only want election puts. :P
I prefer entering into swaps :mrgreen:
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

I'm getting tons of unwanted TEXTS, much more noticeably this election cycle.

I've never answered calls from unknown numbers, but I'm kinda unsure what to do about texts. They usually offer that I can opt out by texting STOP, but I worry that will let them know the text got through :confused
Watty

Post by Watty »

Most of your voter information is public record.

We were getting as lot of calls like these that mostly automatically went to voicemail.

We had requested our absentee ballot very early and once we dropped it off at a drop off box location and it was recorded as returned the political calls dropped by about 90%.

The smarter political campaigns track this and once you have voted they stop calling so they can focus on people who have not voted yet.
ensign_lee wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:35 pm I'm volunteering for campaigns so I'm on the other side of these.

If you just reply STOP to a text, or ask someone to kindly unsubscribe, then they will do it. Unfortunately, that will only apply to that specific campaign / outreach group.
Just FYI, you may be hurting the candidate you support.

It was in prior elections but I have gotten repeated calls and robocalls from a candidate and that was enough to cause me to vote against them just because they were bothering me too much.
Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:41 pm
AerialWombat wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:16 pm
Not sure how android does it but on an apple phones, an unknown caller is anyone not in your contact book. So only contacts on your specific phone with a phone number will ring through. Unknown callers go directly to voicemail. I would guess android phones do the exact same thing.
If you have an android phone, enable the 'Do Not Disturb' feature. I can find mine by swiping down the screen until the settings menu is shown. This does the same thing as noted above for apple phones. Love it!
cyclist

Post by cyclist »

I’ve sent quite a few of those calls and texts as a campaign volunteer. The info comes, as has been indicated, from public voter records.

If you reply “stop” to a text or say the equivalent to a caller they are obliged to stop and they will. Other campaigns who obtained their voter info separately won’t know this, so you may need to do this a few times.

Don’t simply hang up or ignore the text - they’ll certainly keep coming.

Text “stop” to stop that campaign from texting you.

For calls, tell them you voted - preferably because you really have!

Cyclist
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

Watty wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:16 pm Most of your voter information is public record.

We were getting as lot of calls like these that mostly automatically went to voicemail.

We had requested our absentee ballot very early and once we dropped it off at a drop off box location and it was recorded as returned the political calls dropped by about 90%.

The smarter political campaigns track this and once you have voted they stop calling so they can focus on people who have not voted yet.
ensign_lee wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:35 pm I'm volunteering for campaigns so I'm on the other side of these.

Just FYI, you may be hurting the candidate you support.

It was in prior elections but I have gotten repeated calls and robocalls from a candidate and that was enough to cause me to vote against them just because they were bothering me too much.
Yeah, unfortunately, data shows that you are the exception, not the rule. And so on average, calls are more helpful than not.

This administration has shown that we have to be active participants in democracy, not casual bystanders.