"Nice" furniture recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fyre4ce

"Nice" furniture recommendations

Post by fyre4ce »

My spouse and I will shortly be moving into our first "real" house together. We are in our mid 30's, and through a combination of frequent moves, working a lot, and being generally frugal we don't have any "nice" furniture. All of our furniture was either gotten from Craigslist, or from discount furniture stores, like Ikea. We are thinking it would make sense to invest in some furniture for our new space. Both our parents have "nice" furniture that I'm sure was expensive to buy, but has lasted decades and still looks great. On the other hand, I don't want to over-pay. Does anyone have a recommendation on where to go for nicer-looking furniture that will also be durable but that will still be a good value? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'd also add that we tend to prefer modern/minimalist styles, and we have a toddler, so durability to kids is important. Our current couch has visible bite marks :-)
Last edited by fyre4ce on Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frugalecon

Re: "Nice" furniture recommendations

Post by frugalecon »

We have invested in a variety of artisan-made, solid hardwood pieces. Quarter-sawn oak, cherry, etc. They were not cheap, but they are of exemplary quality. We live in DC, so purchased from a place called Hardwood Artisans. Also have some real Heywood Wakefield midcentury modern in several rooms. Much better than your typical Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel stuff. I have seen some Stickley furniture I have liked, but I haven’t bought any of that.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I don’t think furniture is an investment but rather a lifestyle choice.

I went with a nice lifestyle :happy .

I have 30 year old hardwood furniture which I still really like. Couches and chairs get more wear so decide what you are willing to spend since you will need to replace at some point.

I have seen Amish and Mennonite furniture which I think is really lovely. Very simple but lovely.
SquirrelEater

Post by SquirrelEater »

FlexSteel. USA made - Not Chinese.
My parents have it. My grandma had it. They ain’t bought furniture in decades. DECADES!. Stuff is durable. I got it too now. Two years in and it still looks good. Laying on a grey FlexSteel sectional couch now. If the current stuff is like decades ago I’ll be laying on it 15 years from now...
Most likely your furniture will be made to order. You get to pick the fabric and pillows. An overwhelming level of choices here. Have fun!
Topic Author
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

Dottie57 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:33 pm I don’t think furniture is an investment but rather a lifestyle choice.

I went with a nice lifestyle :happy .

I have 30 year old hardwood furniture which I still really like. Couches and chairs get more wear so decide what you are willing to spend since you will need to replace at some point.

I have seen Amish and Mennonite furniture which I think is really lovely. Very simple but lovely.
I use the word "investment" in a different context than is usually used on these forums :-) Obviously, I would expect furniture to depreciate in value. But, if it costs three times as much, but looks twice as nice and lasts five times as long, that's a better value to me.
nimo956

Post by nimo956 »

I plan on having my furniture handmade when I move into my new house. This is someone I’ve found on the web I plan on reaching out to.

https://www.bissellwoodworking.com/
50% VTI / 50% VXUS
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Sometimes the better stores in an area are local, not national. I bought from a local store (now out of business) when I was back east. Still very happy with the furniture 20 years later.

A "better" national brand is Ethan Allen and a luxury national brand is Baker.

The "better" stores will send someone to visit and design a room or two. No charge (beyond the purchase). Consider that if you are not sure of your design abilities. Can really help with issues of scale and coordination. If you are an artistic type of course you will refuse to have any advice of this sort. (Thinking of former girlfriend here).

If possible visit several stores in your area to get a sense of the market. A good thing about furniture stores is that they tend to be empty and it's easy to stay distanced.

After looking at a bunch of stuff (and trying the chairs) buy what you like and don't look back.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Room & Board
We own a lot

Ekornes Stressless — https://www.stressless.com/en

Linge Roset — we have a chair that is still looking great after 30 years
https://www.ligne-roset.com/us/
Last edited by Bogle7 on Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

Bogle7 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:54 pm Room & Board
+1 for Room and Board.
High quality, simple lines.
Watty

Post by Watty »

fyre4ce wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:08 pm Both our parents have "nice" furniture that I'm sure was expensive to buy, but has lasted decades and still looks great.
One huge problem is that furniture is a lot different now and even stores that market themself as being higher end have really dropped their level of quality and most of it is imported from whatever country will make it at the lowest cost. There is nothing inherently wrong with furniture because it is imported but a lot of it is being built overseas just because of cost and they will cut a lot of corners to keep the cost low.

The cost and availability of good quality wood is also a lot different now so that makes it harder to make good traditional furniture even if you wanted to.

Even if you went to the same stores where your parents bought their furniture you would be hard pressed to get the same quality furniture that they bought.

One thing to do is to watch a lot of videos about how to inspect the quality of the furniture you are looking at. Typically you will need to turn it upside down to really look at how it is made. Upholstered furniture is harder to judge since you cannot see the inside construction.

You also need to really read up on the details of different leather types since a lot of the stuff they can legally call "leather" is really highly processed and low quality.

I don't know how it would work in the pandemic but for wood furniture the best thing to do would be to figure out what brands and types of furniture you want and then just wait for them to be for sale on Craigslist or similar websites. It may take a while to find what you want but when you do you can often get good quality furniture very reasonably.

I have not done it but I have heard of people finding a local cabinet maker who will make custom wood furniture at a price that is very competitive with what you can buy in a furniture store but a lot better quality. That would not be cheap but custom furniture can be more affordable than you might think(or sky high expensive too :D ) They may be hard to find since often it will be someone who has a woodshop in their basement or barn who gets all the work they can handle by word of mouth. You may be able to find a store that sells woodworking supplies and ask them if they know of people who make custom furniture in your area.

I don't really have good suggestions about how to buy good upholstered furniture.
sksavers3

Post by sksavers3 »

Yes to Room & Board. A national chain but family owned I think and they strive for Quality US made at prices similar to Pottery Barn Chinese imports. They stand behind their products and delivery is by their own people.

We’ve had sectional sofa (made in USA) for 15 years. Could use a wash but... 😉 and several made in Vermont solid wood case goods that are gorgeous and just getting better with time. We also have accessories like steel picture frames that are unique and modern and high quality.

If you are in a metro area with a store they also offer design services (even if you’re not they can do remote but that’s trickier I think). Their folks are good.

That said, a local furniture store may also excellent and pricing can be competitive with chains I think.
H-Dog

Post by H-Dog »

We are in a similar situation. Mostly Craigslist or IKEA furniture currently and we are in early 30s/ late 20s. I will probably build my own when we move to a next place which will be probably be in 3-4 years. I have built two pieces in the past that I enjoyed. Once I get the tools and space I need then I am happy to spend time building it.

I have learned that I have become very particular about the things I want in my life. The design, utility, size and materials. I’m also into minimalism and functionality. I think IKEA has a sweet spot for the design and minimalism but the furniture is just low quality.

I recommend find someone who can custom build what you want. Otherwise you will have to compromise.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

We bought furniture from the love sac store. A little pricey but we’ve enjoyed over the last couple of years. Still looks new. Their furniture is also modular.
onourway

Post by onourway »

I have suggested them in many of these types of threads over the years, but ~8 years ago we bought a leather couch from https://www.cascobayfurniture.com/. Their price was about half of what a similar design cost from national retailers, and their furniture is entirely made in the USA (North Carolina, mostly, I believe.) Hardwood frames, hand tied suspensions, down cushions, a wide variety of covering choices for every style.

We recently had a question about how to maintain it for the long term. Someone knowledgeable picked up the phone on the second ring and directed us to purchase exactly the right product that did exactly what we were hoping. After 8 years, while raising 3 kids, the couch is barely broken in. Previously we spent about 1/2 of what this couch cost on another "leather" couch locally. After 5 years it was completely worn out and irreparable.

We are in the process of moving into a larger home and will need a good deal more furniture. I will have no hesitation about buying from them again.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

DW and I had similar thoughts in terms of buying nice furniture that would last when we selected furniture for our new home. Ultimately, we went with Stickley for our bedroom and Ethan Allen (EA) for the main living areas. The Stickley furniture is beautiful and should last for many decades. We live near the ocean in a cottage style home, which played a major role in deciding on EA.

I can remember looking at Restoration Hardware, Hooker, Stanley, Baker, and pretty much every other manufacturer. We also looked at the Lovesac furniture mentioned by gator15. Lovesac has very flexible configurations and (it seemed) to be easy to wash and care for. Might be a great option for a family with children. We also looked at the possibility of having furniture built by local professionals, but these turned out to be in the sky-high category. :(

If you are not pressed for time, probably the best piece of advice I can provide is to have a little patience and wait for sales. If you are interested in a particular manufacturer, check the Internet (and visit local stores as suggested earlier in this thread) to see if/when that manufacturer conducts sales. Stickley builds its furniture near Syracuse, NY, and has sales throughout the year, including a warehouse sale near Syracuse. We purchased all of our furniture through local furniture stores, but only during sale times when items were discounted quite a lot.

DW and my favorite piece of furniture is a beautiful black walnut dining table and matching bench that our son-in-law built in his workshop. The sentimental value makes it very special.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

My wife and I bought Stressless furniture for our family room and really love it. Modern styling and very comfortable
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

Another vote for Room and Board. From my experience, definitely better quality than crate and barrel, pottery barn, west elm, etc. Have our master bed and LR sofa from there, will soon get some bunk beds. Anticipate their stuff slowly taking over our house. Their delivery is top notch too.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
otinkyad

Post by otinkyad »

fyre4ce wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:08 pm Edit: I'd also add that we tend to prefer modern/minimalist styles, and we have a toddler, so durability to kids is important. Our current couch has visible bite marks :-)
Toddlers gonna toddler. IKEA furniture can be durable. We have some Bonde pieces that are built like a rock. The coffee table survived from birth to 6’3” while being used as a table, chair, fort, foot rest, and stool. It was completely covered in stickers for years but they all came off (with some magic oil-based goop).

Anyway, like many others, we transitioned from IKEA to Room and Board, with an occasional piece from Herman Miller. Around the time we thought about getting stuff from Design Within Reach, other than some of the Herman Miller pieces, they were bought and became Design out of Reach. We’ve got some Pottery Barn and West Elm pieces, too, which are in between IKEA and R&B in cost and feel.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Our nice furniture comes from dead relatives or nearly dead friends. The previous owners had it decades, so survivorship bias is a big factor: This stuff is not gong to fall apart and will last many decades more.

I'll also write that there should be no rush to fill a new home with furniture that you don't need. Go slow buying or receiving for free.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Frugal and intense savers and workers in our 30's with children.
Furniture was mostly free from relatives.

As we had quite a few rentals. . . . .
Various tenants, especially military on deployment then moving early, left us a lot of great furniture, more than we could ever need or want.

Later "moved up" to the best of Ikea and online quality selectively.
Prefer contemporary minimalist. Like an art gallery. Yet cozy n comfy.

Children (and cats) and "nice furniture" is antithetical. . . . . (wrong word). . . . .

As for dishware. . . Corelle. . . .

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 »

We're in the same exact position and are inclined to take it slowly and not get ahead of ourselves. For something like the couch, I'm fine with keeping it ikea. It wears, gets dirty, stains, beaten down by the kids/dog, etc. I'm ok not spending big money on it and ikea stuff is half decent. We are considering spending some coin on a nice dining table though, but even for that I'm hesitant as I wouldn't want to spend a lot only to have it go out of style. A modern/minimalist style certainly could be at risk for that happening.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

I've been relatively pleased with our furniture from Ethan Allen & Lazy Boy, we also bought a Stressless loveseat. Some of our other furniture makers have since went out of business.

My suggestion is to not necessarily skip Lazy Boy. An American owned company that leans more towards the "value" side of the equation.
https://www.la-z-boy.com/
Bengineer

Post by Bengineer »

fyre4ce wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:08 pm My spouse and I will shortly be moving into our first "real" house together. We are in our mid 30's, and through a combination of frequent moves ...
Something to think about - you'll move again, possibly multiple times. Your furniture might or might not fit or "go" with the new place each time. Not to say you should go cheap or not get what you really want, but that couch you splurge on might be 4" too long for the new living room space or not quite the right style ... Used furniture is worthless in $ terms, unsellable in my experience. We've moved multiple times and a boatload of "pretty good" furniture went off to the goodwill / salvation army / habitat. :?
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

oxothuk wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:54 pm My wife and I bought Stressless furniture for our family room and really love it. Modern styling and very comfortable
The danger with Stressless is that it takes over the house. Got a reading chair from them for the fireplace room, loved how it felt to sit in, so got a sofa for the sun room, which led to a sofa for the den.

I don’t know how they with kids, but they survive my 80# dog (I know, I’m a lax dog parent to let dogs on the furniture, but puppy eyes) whose nails are probably longer than most kids’ nails.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

Watty wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:04 pm
fyre4ce wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:08 pm Both our parents have "nice" furniture that I'm sure was expensive to buy, but has lasted decades and still looks great.
One huge problem is that furniture is a lot different now and even stores that market themself as being higher end have really dropped their level of quality and most of it is imported from whatever country will make it at the lowest cost. There is nothing inherently wrong with furniture because it is imported but a lot of it is being built overseas just because of cost and they will cut a lot of corners to keep the cost low.

The cost and availability of good quality wood is also a lot different now so that makes it harder to make good traditional furniture even if you wanted to.

Even if you went to the same stores where your parents bought their furniture you would be hard pressed to get the same quality furniture that they bought.

Well said!!
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
Kelrex

Post by Kelrex »

I've furnished a few houses, and like you, in my early 30s, I wanted to furnish my first owned home with "quality" pieces. I remember swearing that I would never set foot in Ikea ever again.

Well, I spent a fortune and most of it was garbage.
Don't be fooled by the price tags, most furniture out there is crap.

Also, figure out what you need the furniture to do for you, and what kind of "quality" you are actually looking for. What kind of wear and tear are you hoping a piece can handle?

The pieces that have held up the best for me have been old wood pieces, which are easily found used for very cheap. If you want a good investment, that's the way to go. I have a number of solid wood pieces from the 60s, which are practically indestructible, and easily refinished over time if they sustain any damage.

I just moved last year and other than the wood pieces, I gave away all of my other useless furniture and started from scratch at the new place because it's a completely different layout and style.

And guess what, I went with a lot of Ikea.
Go figure.
RJC

Post by RJC »

Another vote for Room & Board. They are built solid and have stood well over time. Simple, modern and priced fairly.
hopeyourewell

Post by hopeyourewell »

Solid wood antiques / vintage
Chairish is a good place to start
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

I like the look of Thomas Moser pieces and all made in Maine. They claim that it will last for generations.

https://www.thosmoser.com/
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I posit that once you get nice furniture, treat it well. That’s what helps it last a long time.

I feel like my parents, but you’d be amazed at how many adult-aged people don’t know and must be told that you’re not supposed to sit on the arms of chairs, etc.

JT
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

I’m fortunate to have some of my grandmother’s furniture; some of it was passed down to her. It was built to last. However, I still use Craigslist and am careful to choose better quality items. There are also some very nice consignment and outlet stores in my area.

New furniture is drastically marked-up, so I let someone else eat the depreciation.
lazerhead

Post by lazerhead »

I’ll also recommend Room & Board. Here are four notes from our experience with them:

Their options for customization are excellent and on some of their lines they aren’t any more expensive per inch than the standardized offerings. Other places add a significant surcharge to deviate from the norm. That means that if you want a slightly shorter or longer item (a buffet in our case) you should just ask for it and know that the price is simply based on size.

We used to live about 15 minutes from a showroom but now live about 9 hours from one. I’m both cases I’ve been happy with the delivery but in the nearby case it was a small Room & Board box truck (with their staff) doing delivery in a time window you picked (among options) whereas in the far away case it was a semi (with their staff) making a loop for a week or two so your time window had basically no wiggle room.

The bases on the Linear items we own are astonishingly heavy because they’re solid steel bar rather than tube. I have no idea why they do this but if you ever need it to be moved then take the base off (a few screws from underneath) and move it separately.

Their lead time for some pieces are significant (2-3 months). I’d recommend considering that an optimistic estimate as we’ve had two (three?) different orders delayed right before they were supposed to ship. Not the end of the world but I wish they’d told us earlier. (This was both pre-COVID and during COVID).
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I buy a lot of items that are antiques, but one thing I insist on is new upholstered furniture, not even from the showroom floor. I have been very pleased with my Bassett furniture: sofa, chairs and ottoman. At 10 years old, they look great. They frequently have sales. The sofa and chair I was able to "semi" custom with the density of cushion I preferred. My nieces call it an "old lady" style, so it might not work for a younger couple.

(Just a note: even all wood furniture can carry bedbugs, one has to be very careful these days; I have a friend who spent $25 on a table. It ended up costing him over $2,000 to get rid of the bedbugs it carried.)
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Amish, but has become a "Name" that represents a type of furniture rather than the traditional manufacturing of it. Sherrill makes wonderful chairs, Baker makes very nice dining room furniture, Henredon has been highly thought of over the years.

Tim
stan1

Post by stan1 »

We found some items at Arhaus. Helps to see in person not online whenever possible. I don't care for all of their furniture , but we found some end tables that we liked that were a little more lively than what we saw at Room and Board.

As far as style goes we prefer to buy items over time and from multiple stores which give a more eclectic style and is more visually interesting as well as more likely to age better. In most cases I would not plan to buy sofas and tables from the same vendor or store. If you buy an entire house worth of furniture from any store in 2020 by 2030 you'll want to update the entire house.

We do still have IKEA pieces in some bedroom, office, and closets. They remain a good value especially for bookshelves and storage. My IKEA "particle board" dressers are now 25 years old and have survived 5 moves. They held up well and still store many of our clothes in closets.

There will be a temptation to think that paying twice as much for an item will get you quality ($200 chair over a $100 chair at IKEA). More likely you'll get overpriced junk that way. The Thomas Moser pieces someone posted are beautiful and are surely not junk, but a dining chair is around $2,000-2500 each so at least 20x more than IKEA.
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

We own a lot
+1 Room & Board. You can also catch twice annual sales (15% off) at DWR.
BH contest results: 2019: #233 of 645 | 18: #150 of 493 | 17: #516 of 647 | 16: #121 of 610 | 15: #18 of 552 | 14: #225 of 503 | 13: #383 of 433 | 12: #366 of 410 | 11: #113 of 369 | 10: #53 of 282
invest4

Post by invest4 »

I would also recommend Room & Board.

At the same time, we have also made purchases at Crate & Barrel (42" deep sectional couch for family of 6 could not be passed up) as well as other local / smaller outfits for bedroom furniture, etc. You may also consider something that may not last forever, but lasts "long enough" including as your tastes may change (our 20s sense of style are different than our mid-40s for example). We bought our family kitchen table at the 'The Dump' furniture outlet with this in mind as it was unique, shape was right for our space, and large enough to accommodate the whole family and then some.

Best wishes
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

Also for those in the Twin Cities, the Room & Board Outlet (adjacent to their HQ) has ridiculous deals. Just gotta get there early on the weekends.

All of our furniture is from R&B. It's good, high quality and we like supporting our local business.
squirm

Post by squirm »

We used to buy Ethan Allen, although some of it is junk.

I suggest going to a good quality furniture store and take a good look at it. i usually flip the stuff over, look behind it, pull out the drawers and look inside, etc, take a good look at it, pick it up or a side of it, you'll be able to tell from the construction if it's junk or not as long as you know what you're looking for. If it's too big to flip over, flip a smaller piece over. For example we bought some furniture for the kids (dresser, etc), so I flipped the night stands over observed all the joints, etc. Take your time too. Be ready to carve out some $$$ for good stuff.

We stopped buying junk furniture long ago, all it does is go to crap and ends up wasting your money. Just saw the Ashley referral,,,ugg....not for me.
Last edited by squirm on Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

arsenalfan wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:56 pm
+1 for Room and Board.
High quality, simple lines.
Another +1. It's expensive but they last long.
If on a budget, check out Ashley furniture. Browse at B&M and order online (same product but lower price).
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

SquirrelEater wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:35 pm FlexSteel. USA made - Not Chinese.
My parents have it. My grandma had it. They ain’t bought furniture in decades. DECADES!. Stuff is durable. I got it too now. Two years in and it still looks good. Laying on a grey FlexSteel sectional couch now. If the current stuff is like decades ago I’ll be laying on it 15 years from now...
Most likely your furniture will be made to order. You get to pick the fabric and pillows. An overwhelming level of choices here. Have fun!
Flexsteel is an American manufacturer that has been producing mid-priced upholstered seating for more than 100 years. The company has multiple U.S. factories. Flexsteel's Latitudes line is manufactured in China. Flexsteel's South Haven line is manufactured in Mexico.

:wink:
delamer

Post by delamer »

We have several pieces from a company called Simply Amish: http://www.simplyamish.com/

They have simple Shaker and Mission styles, and a variety of others. Every kind of wood and finish that you can imagine.

You can’t order directly from the company; you have to find a local furniture store that sells the line and has wood samples. They seem to have a 40% off sale each year, so keep that in mind. Otherwise, it’s pretty pricey.

If you aren’t in a hurry, order a small piece (like an end table) and see if you are happy with it.

We also have a local farmer’s market with a vendor of Amish-made furniture that is good quality.

For upholstery, our Leathercraft soda has held up very well.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

For mass produced stuff, Room and Board and Crate & Barrel I think have good cost-to-quality ratios but we've had good luck looking (online these days) at smaller local places. Around New York ABC can be very expensive but does have great sales. Got a nice, kid-proof rug at incrediblerugs.com without breaking the bank.
gavinman

Post by gavinman »

No one mentioned:

Vanguardfurniture.com

Not that Vanguard!

Vanguard furniture is made in USA and it is quality furniture. Kind of expensive but you can usually custom order it. You can see who carries it near you on their website.
sport

Post by sport »

As an alternative thought, check out Costco furniture. Costco is fussy about the quality of their products. The price will certainly be right. Some of their furniture is quite expensive, but worth the price. https://www.costco.com/furniture.html
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I like Room & Board also. CB2 is good for modern/contemporary as well. Depending where you live, Dania has some nice contemporary/modern things at multiple price points.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't need my furniture to last 40 years. I don't want garbage that will fall apart in a couple of years, but I get tired of things and buy accordingly. I don't have one piece of furniture I had 25 years ago. I have a bedroom set (it was around $8k) that is around 15 years old that I still have but last time I moved I split the pieces up between the master and guest bedroom and complemented them with new stuff. I have tended to move every 10 years and get most of the furniture new because I want a new look, am tired of the old stuff or it just doesn't work in the new place.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

NC still makes some furniture, mostly upholstered and leather furniture. We have some great places to buy furniture from many fine furniture companies including domestic and imports.

Our favorite showroom is Furniturelandsouth in High Point:
https://www.furniturelandsouth.com/

They claim to have the largest showroom in the world and it is spread over 3 buildings with multiple floors. They also take online or phone orders.

I also like Hickory Furniture Mart in Hickory. It has many retailers under one roof and offers a wide variety of furniture ranging from mid to high prices.
https://www.hickoryfurniture.com/

The 2 sites should give you an idea of some really good furniture companies and products.

If you are looking for leather furniture, this company offers top name leather furniture at super low prices:
https://fineleatherfurniture.com/

They are in Charleston, SC.

Visiting these stores in person may not be practical but a common tactic is to find furniture pieces you like, write down the company and product number, and call the above companies to get their prices.

Best wishes.
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

Another satisfied Room and Board customer. Everything we've gotten there has been really solidly built and has held up really well. The styling is fairly low key neutral and ages well. Haven't gotten sick of any of it. Most of my house is from them at this point and have never had to replace anything. Some of it is 20+ years old. Have in the past bought from Ethan Allen and Crate and Barrel, but over time switched to just RnB. Ikea for furniture is in general awful but they are ok for kitchen cabinets.
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

fyre4ce wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:08 pm My spouse and I will shortly be moving into our first "real" house together. We are in our mid 30's, and through a combination of frequent moves, working a lot, and being generally frugal we don't have any "nice" furniture. All of our furniture was either gotten from Craigslist, or from discount furniture stores, like Ikea. We are thinking it would make sense to invest in some furniture for our new space. Both our parents have "nice" furniture that I'm sure was expensive to buy, but has lasted decades and still looks great. On the other hand, I don't want to over-pay. Does anyone have a recommendation on where to go for nicer-looking furniture that will also be durable but that will still be a good value? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'd also add that we tend to prefer modern/minimalist styles, and we have a toddler, so durability to kids is important. Our current couch has visible bite marks :-)
There was a place near us called "Unclaimed Freight". It advertised that they got the surplus and last year's models from various other stores and sold it for rock-bottom prices.

We ended up getting a lot from them, and it was all very high quality and very durable. Only thing is, DW doesn't let me tell others that we bought stuff there. :D
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

Picasso wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:33 am I like the look of Thomas Moser pieces and all made in Maine. They claim that it will last for generations.

https://www.thosmoser.com/
Moser furniture is really nice, really well made (I make most of our furniture) and really expensive. It's worth it if you can afford it and value fine craftsmanship. Just a fraction of a step below a custom, well made piece.