Improving home office setup: 1) monitor 2) webcam/audio

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
new2bogle

Improving home office setup: 1) monitor 2) webcam/audio

Post by new2bogle »

As I see no end to the current working from home environment in my company, I would like to make some improvements in my home office setup and am seeking inputs:

1) Monitors: Currently I have a dual 24" setup. Would like to move to one large screen with possibly a smaller second screen (keeping one of my current 24" monitors). The setup would be a 34" ultrawide plus my current 24". I've never actually seen a 34" ultrawide, so not sure if I will even like it. But having dual monitors with them abutting in the middle of my viewing angle is getting hard (always need to turn head one way or other to be looking straight onto one monitor).

2) Webcam/Audio: Currently all meetings are through the laptop audio and occasionally laptop webcam. Not too concerned about the video portion as it is not used often. For audio, two issues: during meetings I am looking at one of the external monitors, but the mic is actually on the laptop, which is not directly in front of me. Speakers are off of the laptop, but I can probably solve this through even a cheap pair of external speakers connected to the laptop. For the few occasions where webcam is used, I would prefer to not use my laptop, instead using a webcam/mic combo externally.

Questions:
1) Which monitor setup do you guys use and pros/cons?
2) Advice on webcam with mic - there are a lot of options from $20 to $800. I see a few in the $60 range that look good (either logitec or panasonic).

Note that I am almost done building my new desk so I will have a lot of physical desk area to work with.
bampf

Re: Improving home office setup: 1) monitor 2) webcam/audio

Post by bampf »

I run three monitors, one dead in the middle and do the bulk of my work on that. It is a 30" followed by 2 24" support monitors.
For webcam I use the Logitech 920HD. Its awesome
I use a RODE microphone on a boom. Its awesome.
I use high quality speakers.
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

bampf wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:38 am I run three monitors, one dead in the middle and do the bulk of my work on that. It is a 30" followed by 2 24" support monitors.
For webcam I use the Logitech 920HD. Its awesome
I use a RODE microphone on a boom. Its awesome.
I use high quality speakers.
tri-monitor is an interesting setup. I checked my desktop and unfortunately it only has 2 monitor outputs (3rd is VGA, which I guess is ok for a support monitor). Do you mind mentioning the model of your 30" monitor?

I'll checkout the webcam you posted. Thanks!
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Cali ... 801&sr=8-4

OP,

I have a Plantronics Speakerphone. It is well worth the money.

KlangFool
trevorshhh

Post by trevorshhh »

One thing I recommend is if your laptop supports USB-C, get a single USB-C hub that supports everything and power delivery (PD). I actually switch between a Thinkpad and a Macbook which both have a USB-C port. I have everything on one hub with one plug to have monitor, keyboard, webcam, headphones, power, etc. connected. A lot nicer than having to plug in a lot of cables on both sides of the machine.
All in VTI, VXUS, BND and equivalents.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

new2bogle wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:34 am As I see no end to the current working from home environment in my company, I would like to make some improvements in my home office setup and am seeking inputs:

1) Monitors: Currently I have a dual 24" setup. Would like to move to one large screen with possibly a smaller second screen (keeping one of my current 24" monitors). The setup would be a 34" ultrawide plus my current 24". I've never actually seen a 34" ultrawide, so not sure if I will even like it. But having dual monitors with them abutting in the middle of my viewing angle is getting hard (always need to turn head one way or other to be looking straight onto one monitor).

2) Webcam/Audio: Currently all meetings are through the laptop audio and occasionally laptop webcam. Not too concerned about the video portion as it is not used often. For audio, two issues: during meetings I am looking at one of the external monitors, but the mic is actually on the laptop, which is not directly in front of me. Speakers are off of the laptop, but I can probably solve this through even a cheap pair of external speakers connected to the laptop. For the few occasions where webcam is used, I would prefer to not use my laptop, instead using a webcam/mic combo externally.

Questions:
1) Which monitor setup do you guys use and pros/cons?
2) Advice on webcam with mic - there are a lot of options from $20 to $800. I see a few in the $60 range that look good (either logitec or panasonic).

Note that I am almost done building my new desk so I will have a lot of physical desk area to work with.
I use my laptop and a 27inch HD monitor. I've thought about doubling up on the monitors but don't really use two that often. I have no desire to have a high end monitor as I don't game or watch movies and such on it. I buy whatever I feel is a good deal. If I had to buy another I go bigger than 27 to maybe 32/34 at max. Probably would do 4k though my work laptop doesn't support it.

Any Logitech webcam works fine. No one cares if it's HD or SD. Half the time we don't even use a webcam because we are presenting something. Maybe if I was in sales or was doing webcasts I'd go better. Today I would buy I'd buy the C270 or C310 both are HD and just fine and under $50.

I use a simple usb Logitech headset(equivalent of the 390). A mic is out of the question as there is just too much ambient noise(lawn crews, dog barking, trucks driving by etc. The headset solves that issue.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Do you really need to abut them in the middle? I ended up having a 26" monitor dead center and a 24" off to the right. I use that center one 95% of the time. I also have my laptop as screen three on the right side.

Also, it is nice to have a standing desk option.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

This guy lives on the high end of stuff due to his work.
https://www.troyhunt.com/weekly-update-201/
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

KlangFool wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:01 am https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Cali ... 801&sr=8-4

OP,

KlangFool
I second this... Have an older Plantronics Calisto (P420 from 6 years ago) and it still sounds so much better than anything I have to hear from the people on the other end.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I prefer a good headset to a speakerphone - use a Jabra Pro 9470 - connects to a land-line; mobile-phone (via bluetooth); and computer (via USB) all at the same time with the ability to push-button switch between them.

I have two large monitors + laptop. I use a docking station connected to my Lenova P1 which allows easy laptop plug in to all monitors; back-up-drive; Keyboard/Mouse; etc.
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

ZinCO wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:59 am
KlangFool wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:01 am https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Cali ... 801&sr=8-4

OP,

KlangFool
I second this... Have an older Plantronics Calisto (P420 from 6 years ago) and it still sounds so much better than anything I have to hear from the people on the other end.
The plantronics looks like a solid device but seems to be over kill for my needs.
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

rich126 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:57 am This guy lives on the high end of stuff due to his work.
https://www.troyhunt.com/weekly-update-201/
Nice! DW will never allow this as I may never leave my home-office ever again...
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:01 pm I prefer a good headset to a speakerphone - use a Jabra Pro 9470 - connects to a land-line; mobile-phone (via bluetooth); and computer (via USB) all at the same time with the ability to push-button switch between them.

I have two large monitors + laptop. I use a docking station connected to my Lenova P1 which allows easy laptop plug in to all monitors; back-up-drive; Keyboard/Mouse; etc.
Yes, I like headsets when I am actively using them. But I do not/will not always have them on and in that case I may miss whatever dings that come through. Currently, the laptop speaker does alert me to IM/Email/etc dings that I may otherwise be missing (I find that sometimes MS Teams does not visually notify me of a ping, but the sound is there).
tiburblium

Post by tiburblium »

This is my home office setup:

Code: Select all

$299 - NOUHAUS Ergo3D Ergonomic Office Chair - Rolling Desk Chair with 3D Adjustable Armrest, 3D Lumbar Support and Extra Blade Wheels, Mesh Computer Chair, Gaming Chairs, Executive Swivel Chair (Black)
$97 - AVLT Dual 13"-32" Monitor Wall Mount fits Two Flat/Curved Computer Monitor Full Motion Height Swivel Tilt Rotation Adjustable Monitor Arm - VESA/Cable Management
$99 - Edifier R1280T Powered Bookshelf Speakers - 2.0 Stereo Active Near Field Monitors - Studio Monitor Speaker - Wooden Enclosure - 42 Watts RMS
$99 - TOPPING D10s DAC Mini USB DAC XMOS XU208 ES9038Q2M DSD256 PCM 384kHz Hi-Res Audio Desktop Audio Decoder (Black)
$49 - Sabrent 10-Port 60W USB 3.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches and LEDs Includes 60W 12V/5A Power Adapter (HB-BU10)
$29 - DisplayPort 8K DP 1.4 Switch Bi-Direction 8K@30Hz 4K@120Hz Splitter Converter for Multiple Source and displays.
$199 - BRIO ULTRA HD PRO WEBCAM
$99 - Blue Yeti USB Mic for Recording & Streaming on PC and Mac, 3 Condenser Capsules, 4 Pickup Patterns, Headphone Output and Volume Control, Mic Gain Control, Adjustable Stand, Plug & Play - Black
$150 - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - 6x Programmable Macro Keys - USB Passthrough & Media Controls - Fastest Cherry MX Speed - RGB LED Backlit - Black Finish
$79 - Logitech MX Master 3 Advanced Wireless Mouse - Graphite
$600 - (2x) Dell UltraSharp U3014 30-Inch PremierColor Monitor
I have 2 computers (work and personal) and have the displays, audio, and peripherals all switched via 1 Display port and 1 USB cable. The monitors I have are old, but my recommendation would be a good IPS panel as the viewing angle and sharpness really helps
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

new2bogle wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:28 pm
DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:01 pm I prefer a good headset to a speakerphone - use a Jabra Pro 9470 - connects to a land-line; mobile-phone (via bluetooth); and computer (via USB) all at the same time with the ability to push-button switch between them.

Yes, I like headsets when I am actively using them. But I do not/will not always have them on and in that case I may miss whatever dings that come through. Currently, the laptop speaker does alert me to IM/Email/etc dings that I may otherwise be missing (I find that sometimes MS Teams does not visually notify me of a ping, but the sound is there).
I only put the headset on when I am on calls - put it back on charger when I am not (mine is wireless - so I can get up and move around while talking - great range - can take the dog out; go up or down a floor in the house; etc.).
And I don't use the headset for notifications - you can keep email/IM/etc. notifications on your laptop speakers and only configure Apps such as Zoom, Teams, Slack-calls, etc. to use a USB headset. For Teams - you can set the headset as the primary audio device and set a "Secondary ringer" to your speakers for hearing notifications.
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

May be a lower tech option that others suggest, but I use my AirPods for every phone call and online meeting connected to Bluetooth on my computer.
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

tiburblium wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:59 pm This is my home office setup:

$299 - NOUHAUS Ergo3D Ergonomic Office Chair - Rolling Desk Chair with 3D Adjustable Armrest, 3D Lumbar Support and Extra Blade Wheels, Mesh Computer Chair, Gaming Chairs, Executive Swivel Chair (Black)
$97 - AVLT Dual 13"-32" Monitor Wall Mount fits Two Flat/Curved Computer Monitor Full Motion Height Swivel Tilt Rotation Adjustable Monitor Arm - VESA/Cable Management
$99 - Edifier R1280T Powered Bookshelf Speakers - 2.0 Stereo Active Near Field Monitors - Studio Monitor Speaker - Wooden Enclosure - 42 Watts RMS
$99 - TOPPING D10s DAC Mini USB DAC XMOS XU208 ES9038Q2M DSD256 PCM 384kHz Hi-Res Audio Desktop Audio Decoder (Black)
$49 - Sabrent 10-Port 60W USB 3.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches and LEDs Includes 60W 12V/5A Power Adapter (HB-BU10)
$29 - DisplayPort 8K DP 1.4 Switch Bi-Direction 8K@30Hz 4K@120Hz Splitter Converter for Multiple Source and displays.
$99 - Blue Yeti USB Mic for Recording & Streaming on PC and Mac, 3 Condenser Capsules, 4 Pickup Patterns, Headphone Output and Volume Control, Mic Gain Control, Adjustable Stand, Plug & Play - Black
$150 - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - 6x Programmable Macro Keys - USB Passthrough & Media Controls - Fastest Cherry MX Speed - RGB LED Backlit - Black Finish
I have 2 computers (work and personal) and have the displays, audio, and peripherals all switched via 1 Display port and 1 USB cable. The monitors I have are old, but my recommendation would be a good IPS panel as the viewing angle and sharpness really helps
This is actually very helpful. Thank you for the detailed setup.
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:03 pm
new2bogle wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:28 pm

I only put the headset on when I am on calls - put it back on charger when I am not (mine is wireless - so I can get up and move around while talking - great range - can take the dog out; go up or down a floor in the house; etc.).
And I don't use the headset for notifications - you can keep email/IM/etc. notifications on your laptop speakers and only configure Apps such as Zoom, Teams, Slack-calls, etc. to use a USB headset. For Teams - you can set the headset as the primary audio device and set a "Secondary ringer" to your speakers for hearing notifications.
I did not know about this highlighted part - if I can only have the actual meetings on a headset but all notifications through the speaker, that would be very useful. Let me go through the Teams options and see how to set this up - thanks.
onourway

Post by onourway »

I would buy a Dell ultra-wide. Slightly more expensive than other brands, but Dell consistently has excellent panels with great calibration and viewing angles.

After years of working with 2-3 monitors, several years ago I switched to one large monitor while docked, and make use of the multiple desktops feature of both Windows and MacOS. There are quick mouse and keyboard shortcuts for switching between desktops, and this avoids the pretty well continuous problems that Windows has handling multiple monitors, especially through a docking station - some monitors not coming on every time, or even if they do, my work environment getting completely re-arranged every time I dock/undock. A single monitor these days is more than large enough to compare two windows side by side, and this provides a much more consistent experience, with less desk space lost.

I would suggest a wireless headset as well rather than a mic and speakers. It is essential, IMO, to be able to leave my desk during the endless conference calls I find myself on these days. AirPods are comfortable enough for most people to wear all day, open enough to clearly hear your surroundings if your music is paused or quiet, and extremely reliable with excellent sounding microphones.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

How far away from your eyes do you want the monitor? I've found that I like the monitor about 27" from my eyes and a 27" 1440p monitor works well for me in that configuration. I considered a larger monitor but realized I would mostly not use the side because I would have to turn my head too much to see the edges or I would swivel in my chair which would have me typing at an angle. I already have a high quality 27" 1440p monitor on one of my computers and it works quite nicely for my needs. If I had a standing desk and there was more distance from my eyes to the monitor a larger monitor would be more useful. These are preferences so I'd expect someone else will post that they have a 34" monitor set 27" from their eyes and are very happy with it. If your work tasks support it you might consider turning one or both of your 24" monitors 90 degrees.

I prefer not to wear a headset (no kids in house). Many of my co-workers are using phones or tablets for voice. We generally do voice calls without video since there is often a brief or spreadsheet someone is talking to.
wabbajack

Post by wabbajack »

new2bogle wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:50 am
tiburblium wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:59 pm This is my home office setup:

This is actually very helpful. Thank you for the detailed setup.
Buy the Blue Yeti. It might seem silly to get a podcast quality microphone, but it really makes a difference in conference calls. Your voice will stand out above everyone else that's using an inferior setup. This is especially more important when interviews and presentations are being conducted virtually.

Aside from that, I would recommend a laptop dock (personally I just got a Dell D6000). This simplifies the cable mess somewhat, but more importantly lets me connect the laptop to all of the peripherals (screens, external keyboard + mouse, charger, etc) with just one USB-C cable.

Good luck, and try not to splurge on the Herman Miller.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

new2bogle wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:51 am
DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:03 pm For Teams - you can set the headset as the primary audio device and set a "Secondary ringer" to your speakers for hearing notifications.
I did not know about this highlighted part - if I can only have the actual meetings on a headset but all notifications through the speaker, that would be very useful. Let me go through the Teams options and see how to set this up - thanks.
Settings -> Devices (at least on my version of the Teams Client)
hfj

Post by hfj »

At work I had one monitor directly in front in landscape orientation, and one other off to the right and angled in portrait orientation, allowing me to look at longer pages easier, plus my laptop screen to my left. You can see if that's something to try with your existing monitors. Most of the time I'd keep my chat windows on the portrait screen. Other people have it similar in that one monitor is directly in front, and the other is sharply angled to the side, except both in landscape.

My personal desktop has a 34" ultrawide. I really like it a lot for simple personal use, watching videos, etc. I have it set up to "snap" windows into 1/3's of the screen.

My WFH setup is a single 25" monitor + laptop screen, mainly because of space limitations. I've shifted between my home setup and my work setup for years so I'm pretty used to it.

I use a wireless headset at home for meetings, but it's pretty much a necessity for our household since we have 3 people working or in school. I like being able to walk around and leave the room with the headset on. Video is not much of a concern as my work meetings don't use personal video most of the time, and the laptop camera is fine for occasional use.
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

hfj wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:50 pm At work I had one monitor directly in front in landscape orientation, and one other off to the right and angled in portrait orientation, allowing me to look at longer pages easier, plus my laptop screen to my left. You can see if that's something to try with your existing monitors. Most of the time I'd keep my chat windows on the portrait screen. Other people have it similar in that one monitor is directly in front, and the other is sharply angled to the side, except both in landscape.

My personal desktop has a 34" ultrawide. I really like it a lot for simple personal use, watching videos, etc. I have it set up to "snap" windows into 1/3's of the screen.

My WFH setup is a single 25" monitor + laptop screen, mainly because of space limitations. I've shifted between my home setup and my work setup for years so I'm pretty used to it.

I use a wireless headset at home for meetings, but it's pretty much a necessity for our household since we have 3 people working or in school. I like being able to walk around and leave the room with the headset on. Video is not much of a concern as my work meetings don't use personal video most of the time, and the laptop camera is fine for occasional use.
Is your ultrawide curved? Is that important for an IPS display / ergo reason?
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

new2bogle wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:51 pm
hfj wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:50 pm At work I had one monitor directly in front in landscape orientation, and one other off to the right and angled in portrait orientation, allowing me to look at longer pages easier, plus my laptop screen to my left. You can see if that's something to try with your existing monitors. Most of the time I'd keep my chat windows on the portrait screen. Other people have it similar in that one monitor is directly in front, and the other is sharply angled to the side, except both in landscape.

My current setup is dual with my laptop screen (for email and chat, powerpoint) and a 34" Dell Ultrawide Curved screen. I sit fairly close to my screen for CAD work and the curved screen surprisingly works well. Before I got one, I thought it was a gimmick but I now understand why it's common with the WFH engineering folks. I also got the USB-C version. One cable can connect to either my Dell Laptop or Macbook Pro and provides all connections including 90W power! That means I got rid of a USB hub, and two laptop power adapters. Mouse and keyboard wireless dongles are attached to the monitor's built-in USB hub.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/de ... ccessories
Bogle_Bro

Post by Bogle_Bro »

I use this monster, which is like 4 small monitors in one, https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-43UD7 ... ed-monitor

i convinced my self that if the added efficiency led to even 1 more closed deal this year , it was worth it!
hfj

Post by hfj »

mervinj7 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:07 pm

My current setup is dual with my laptop screen (for email and chat, powerpoint) and a 34" Dell Ultrawide Curved screen. I sit fairly close to my screen for CAD work and the curved screen surprisingly works well. Before I got one, I thought it was a gimmick but I now understand why it's common with the WFH engineering folks. I also got the USB-C version. One cable can connect to either my Dell Laptop or Macbook Pro and provides all connections including 90W power! That means I got rid of a USB hub, and two laptop power adapters. Mouse and keyboard wireless dongles are attached to the monitor's built-in USB hub.

I have the 2017 version of the Dell 34" ultrawide, and it's lightly curved, which I like. For my other multi-monitor setups, my side monitors are angled in towards my sitting position; I find it is helpful to me to make the distance from my eyes to the peripheral monitors closer.
dandinsac

Post by dandinsac »

I use a Canon M50 with a 22mm lens as my webcam with a fixed F2 aperture, it blurs the background of my home office. The face tracking works pretty much flawlessly. I routinely get comments stating how clear my video seems to them. I didn’t buy the camera for this purpose, but it works really well. I have a Jabra speaker/ microphone that works fine also.
ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 »

hfj wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:40 pm
mervinj7 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:07 pm

I have the 2017 version of the Dell 34" ultrawide, and it's lightly curved, which I like. For my other multi-monitor setups, my side monitors are angled in towards my sitting position; I find it is helpful to me to make the distance from my eyes to the peripheral monitors closer.
I'm also a fan of the Dell 34" ultrawide. It was a bit more than I was looking to spend, but am happy I splurged. I like that the USB-C hookup from my laptop to monitor provides the display connection as well as power. So no separate hub or power cord needed for the laptop. Very clean and simple solution.

This price on Dell's website is pretty nice. Perhaps more savings if you wait till black friday, but who knows this year given the high demand.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/de ... 30ba104aeb
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

Do you have multiple computers?

I have 3 computers that I switch between, 2 are for my work and 1 is personal. 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Windows Desktop, and 1 Macbook pro. Being able to seamlessly swap between them quickly and easily was important to me.

USB attached devices (all of these are on a hub):

Keyboard (Mechnical)
Mouse (Logitech MX)
Microphone (Yeti Blue)
Webcam (Logitech 1080p)
Audio DAC (Shiit Modi3)

Display Port:

2x Dell IPS 27", second display dasiy chained to first

So I have a push button display port switch + push button usb switch I can use to swap between computers (1 DP and 1 USB feeds everything).

Regarding audio, I have an old Sony Amplifier connected to my Audio DAC in a 2.1 setup (I have the Polk Audio Monitor 40 speakers, they are huge but you could use anything)

Regarding monitor choice, I really like the idea of an Ultrawide like the Dell 38 or 49 but unfortunately I do a lot of remote desktop presenting and the ultrawide resolution creates a lot of issues. I may just keep a 27" for that purpose, but something to think about. Also when you are considering a monitor remember that display panels provide different advantages and disadvantages. So a VA display might be awesome for gaming (144hz refresh, gsync) but the viewing angles and sharpness will not be comparible to a high quality IPS panel. For work, I would highly recommend a good IPS panel for the added clarity
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I have a Dell 34” ultrawide, and you’ll pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

The one thing to know, though, is that a 34 inch monitor takes up a *lot* of space. Even on my large, L shaped desk, I don’t know where I’d put a second monitor that would be useful. I use the 34 centered in front of me as my primary (for software development), and use the laptop screen off to the side for emails and texts and screen sharing during meetings.

When I worked at a FAANG, we had the choice of either a single Dell 34, or two 27’s. At first, about half the people chose the 34 and half chose the 27’s. Within a few months, nearly everybody had traded in the 27’s for the 34. When I left the company, that monitor was the only thing I missed, so I bought one for my home office as soon as I found one on sale.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.