Flying during the pandemic

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Flying during the pandemic

Post by tennisplyr »

We're planning on flying to NY next month to see the family. Have any of you flown domestically the past few months? If so, what has it been like...any concerns/advice on airline travel?
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
Stinky

Re: Flying during the pandemic

Post by Stinky »

I flew a roundtrip to a wedding on Delta in September, changing planes in Atlanta.

It felt very safe. Aircraft was boarded from the rear to minimize people crossing paths. Middle seats were blocked off, unavailable for sale, unless two people traveling together booked the seats. Masks were required through the entire process, including the actual flight. "Drinks" in both first and coach class were a pre-packaged plastic bag containing a bottle of water and a snack-bag of Cheese-Its.

The Atlanta airport was quieter than I've ever seen it. The vast majority of folks wore masks. Many of the shops and restaurants on the concourse were closed, but the food courts at the center of the concourse were pretty much open.

I wouldn't feel comfortable flying once or twice per month, as I did when I was working. But for a one-time trip to an important family event, this was a good experience.
It's a GREAT day to be alive! - Travis Tritt
austin757

Post by austin757 »

The airports have enhanced cleaning procedures. All employees and passengers are required to wear masks. The planes themselves are being cleaned more often, as well as being flown on by less people since the airlines have cut back on flights. The plane I fly is also undergoing modifications to have a new HEPA filter installed to improve air quality. We're told this stops particles, germs, etc.

Overall it's safe. Been traveling constantly since the pandemic started and I still haven't gotten COVID.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Different airlines have different policies which may be more in line with your personal risk assessment. Delta is keeping middle seats empty for instance, American is packing them onboard. Do your research and decide if you prefer one over the other. Me personally, I’m not flying American for the time being. You make your own decisions.
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

ScubaHogg wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:29 am Different airlines have different policies which may be more in line with your personal risk assessment. Delta is keeping middle seats empty for instance, American is packing them onboard. Do your research and decide if you prefer one over the other. Me personally, I’m not flying American for the time being. You make your own decisions.
+1. If I needed to fly right now it would be Delta even though Charlotte is a major hub of American. A friend recently CLT to DFW recently on American and said the flight was packed, elbow to elbow. That is too dangerous IMO.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

My daughter just flew on American and the plane was full.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

DW and I flew from Tennessee to Florida and back last month. Our flights were on Delta (our preferred airline), which as noted above is keeping middle seats empty. All in all it was not too bad. One thing I did like, and IMHO should have been done years ago, is that they are now loading the flight from the back to the front rather than in ambiguous "zones" that typically go from front to back. They also are actively encouraging the use of electronic boarding passes on smartphones to reduce hand-to-hand contact from handling paper boarding passes, and for those who do still need to use the paper boarding pass they are deploying hand-held scanners that gate agents can use to scan a paper boarding pass while the passenger holds it up, thus further reducing hand-to-hand contact.

I've not flown on American Airlines in a couple of years, and for my money would just as soon never do so again, so I can't comment first-hand on their experience. But I think I would have concerns over flying in a plane in which the passengers are packed as tightly as possible.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Flew Sarasota - DC on Allegiant in July. Full flight. Didn't catch anything, or at least don't have any symptoms.
wilshuer

Post by wilshuer »

Flew about a month ago on United, was a bit odd with airport being fairly slow in middle of the day. Planes were full, not an empty seat. Seems they had taken care to clean, handed wipes for us to clean. Never really felt unsafe.

Thought it was funny that we were told to social distance standing in line to board, but then were spending the next 4 hours a few inches away from the same people. Boarding and de-boarding seemed much more organized, few rows at a time. Did not seem to take any longer.

Food in the airports was a challenge, most places closed. Those that were open had long lines.

A good point I saw raised was that if flying was unsafe, then there would be large numbers of flight attendants and pilots being reported as sick, which doesn't seem to be the case. Have actually seen reports that various airline's flight attendant population has a lower % of infections vs the total company population. As well the infection rate is lower than the general public.

In the end it is a personal decision based on your own risk tolerance and health. Personally I would not hesitate to get on another flight.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I have not flown recently and not planning to in the near future.

If I had to fly somewhere, I'd wear an N95 mask and abstain from any food or drink during the flight.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
kbjeffrey

Post by kbjeffrey »

I flew Southwest to Florida to help out my Mom with a medical emergency. They put in reasonable policies to keep passengers safe and all of the middle seats were left empty. I would feel safe flying with them again during the pandemic as long as they continue the current policies.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

tennisplyr wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:46 am We're planning on flying to NY next month to see the family. Have any of you flown domestically the past few months? If so, what has it been like...any concerns/advice on airline travel?
Your profile shows you are from Florida. Are you aware of the quarantine requirements to enter NY from FL?

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid ... l-advisory
capthawk

Post by capthawk »

Have flown 7 times since February with Zero issues. As a retired American pilot, I know the air is cleaner than many other indoor office/shopping spaces.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

There's nothing in the world important enough for me to get on a plane right now.
RedDog

Post by RedDog »

We flew Delta recently...round trip with a plane change in Atlanta. We felt very comfortable...would have only been concerned if we were in a high Covid risk group.
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

Flew a RT on Delta with the family, which included a high-risk person. Middle seats blocked, and the flights had a number of empty seats besides. We loaded up on PPE and it felt ok. I personally would not feel safe without middle seats empty, but a number of airlines (United, American for example) are back to flying with full flights. From what I've read, the general cabin air is pretty safe; the risk is from the strangers in your immediate vicinity (mostly during the flight, but also during boarding/de-planing). I prefer to cut that number of strangers in half (as well as cutting out the nearest contact point) by having empty middle seats.

Others have different comfort levels, but I don't think I can be convinced to fly in normal sardine fashion until the pandemic is well in hand.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

check what state you are coming from, NY has 14 day quarantine from something like 30 states, so if you are coming from one of those states, you beter plan on your trip being AT LEAST 14 days......
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

tennisplyr wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:46 am We're planning on flying to NY next month to see the family. Have any of you flown domestically the past few months? If so, what has it been like...any concerns/advice on airline travel?
How important is the meeting with family?

I'm not sure there would be a reason that would get me on a crowded airplane for hours right now. If my presence was vital, I'd probably drive. If it was just a fun visit, I'd do it virtually.

I'd love to visit my son and daughter-in-law on the opposite coast. We miss them, but not going to fly this year.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

JoeRetire wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:47 am
How important is the meeting with family?

I'm not sure there would be a reason that would get me on a crowded airplane for hours right now. If my presence was vital, I'd probably drive. If it was just a fun visit, I'd do it virtually.

I'd love to visit my son and daughter-in-law on the opposite coast. We miss them, but not going to fly this year.

+1
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

Went from Houston to Las Vegas and back just a couple of weeks ago (closest airport to Zion National Park).

I felt very safe. No middle seats on Southwest (I've heard American and United may no longer have this policy) - and the staff did a great job reminding (and re-reminding...and re-re-reminding...) passengers to keep their stupid masks on. I'm sure it was annoying for them, but I really appreciated them being on top of that.

To be honest, the flying part of my trip was much safer than the other parts - the restaurants I tried to eat at during my national park stay had wait times of an hour for dinner, and lots of people in closer quarters waiting.
J295

Post by J295 »

Small United plane about 1/3 full for 2 hour flight this week. Not a popular route. All ok.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

Nate79 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:43 am
Your profile shows you are from Florida. Are you aware of the quarantine requirements to enter NY from FL?

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid ... l-advisory
Yes as in other recent thread. As mentioned there you can look up your state's rate of daily new cases per 100k population and percent of tests positive against NY's (and group of other NE states) requirement they be below 10 and 10% respectively to avoid quarantine on arrival. FL now is right above both thresholds, 10.3 new cases per day per 100k population, 10.8% positive rate on tests. Various states have been added and removed from the list on this basis. It's possible FL would be off the list by next month, or not, and planning vacations to this part of the country (NJ has the same basic system) is also complicated by the possibility your state might go on or back on the list though it isn't when you plan.
https://covidactnow.org/us/florida-fl?s=1115250

As far as risk of getting COVID on plane, simulations have suggested that's a very low probability per trip, 1 in 4,300 to 1 in 7,700 per an often quoted study/simulation recently. Assuming 0.5% chance of dying if you get COVID that's ~1 in 1.5mil for the lower (middle seat empty) probability, but chance of death in a domestic scheduled airliner crash is estimated more like 1:10 mil, plus there's risk from giving somebody else COVID you caught on a plane which doesn't happen in crashes, chance of dying for particular individuals can be much higher, there could be suffering and long term effects of surviving COVID (I have some after effects months later even though the active infection wasn't that bad), etc. And there's no guarantee on that simulation result. Statistically it's not clear it's very dangerous, but not guaranteed as safe as flying used to be. We haven't flown and don't plan it for now. OTOH I don't like flying normally. Going to FL from here in NJ I'd drive even normally if it were a vacation. I fly usually only for family emergencies or overseas, even pre COVID.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/odds ... index.html

But the first consideration could make the second moot.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

I flew last month (Delta) and to be honest, it was pretty great. I had my side of the row to myself. The airport was practically empty on both ends of the trip. Boarding was fast and efficient. Getting a rental car was a breeze. One had to wear a mask on the plane, and beverage service was limited to being handed a little plastic bag containing a bottle of water, cheezits, and cookies. I worry less about the risk of contracting COVID on the plane as it seems little additional risk over the travel itself (plus, honestly, by traveling away from a hotspot I was probably *reducing* my own personal risk.)

Honestly, aside from finding masks a mild inconvenience, it was one of the better flight experiences I've had. Too bad it's not cost-efficient for airplanes to be empty all the time because it's much nicer when they are.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

There is always the unpredictable. True story.

I booked a flight recently paid for the front row seat. Had to fly long story. Last person on flight first off terrific. Really never saw any other passengers. Told everyone flying was great.

Return trip:

Same deal front row (although middle seat). Women to my right was managing her 3 kids (age 4, 6, 11) across the aisle. The kids were a little unruly before take off (would not wearing mask) finally they keep their masks on with a fair amount supervision from the stewardess. 20 minutes before landing the kids took off mask and the stewardess told the women get your kids to wear the masks. They would not. The stewardess turn to the kid and said firmly (not hostile) “put your mask on”. The women jumps out of her chair rips her mask off starts screaming at the stewardess with much profanity that no one tells her kids what to do. This went on in uncontrolled manner for 10 minutes with spittle flying everywhere and no where hide! The stewardesses moved the drink cart between her and the lady as she was out of control. We landed and a police car drove behind the plane and two policemen arrested her on the jetway.
I thought I had a good plan.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Flew Delta a few weeks ago on a 4+ hour flight from one coast to the other for vacation purposes. Plane was at about 60% capacity. I wore an N95 mask the entire time.

This isn't going away anytime in the foreseeable future, so it's a calculated risk I'm willing to take.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Wricha wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:30 am There is always the unpredictable. True story.

I booked a flight recently paid for the front row seat. Had to fly long story. Last person on flight first off terrific. Really never saw any other passengers. Told everyone flying was great.

Return trip:

Same deal front row (although middle seat). Women to my right was managing her 3 kids (age 4, 6, 11) across the aisle. The kids were a little unruly before take off (would not wearing mask) finally they keep their masks on with a fair amount supervision from the stewardess. 20 minutes before landing the kids took off mask and the stewardess told the women get your kids to wear the masks. They would not. The stewardess turn to the kid and said firmly (not hostile) “put your mask on”. The women jumps out of her chair rips her mask off starts screaming at the stewardess with much profanity that no one tells her kids what to do. This went on in uncontrolled manner for 10 minutes with spittle flying everywhere and no where hide! The stewardesses moved the drink cart between her and the lady as she was out of control. We landed and a police car drove behind the plane and two policemen arrested her on the jetway.
I thought I had a good plan.
Expecting a 4 year old to wear a mask for the entirety of a flight is ridiculous. I understand why it's important, but it's an exercise in futility. I am guessing I won't even consider taking my kid on a flight until he's 5 or older and maybe not even then.
synthfan23

Post by synthfan23 »

Any idea when the EU or any part of Europe will open its borders to US Citizens? I mean those of us who don't have dual-citizenship. Thanks.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

RedDog wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:36 am We flew Delta recently...round trip with a plane change in Atlanta. We felt very comfortable...would have only been concerned if we were in a high Covid risk group.
I've booked a RT on Delta to Florida via Atlanta. My understanding is that the blocking middle seat deal will cease in Jan. When I booked for the 3 of us, we booked 3 seats together on a plane with a 3x3 configuration. I wonder how safe people would feel without the middle seat blocked?
airborne

Post by airborne »

I've been flying about two weeks per month throughout the pandemic with a few exceptions.

It is perfectly safe. There are a few considerations to take into account.

The air in the aircraft is constantly refreshed every 2-3 minutes. The cabin is pressurized, bringing in outside atmospheric air at extremely high pressure and temperatures which is then reduced to comfortable air forced through the cabin then exhausted out of the aircraft. There is very little axial flow inside the cabin as the air comes from above, flows downward, then vented under the floor. Any air that is recirculated passes through hospital-grade HEPA filters. Basically, the threat of Covid-19 aerosols is lower in an aircraft cabin than anywhere outside a hospital ICU or the outdoors.

If you would like extra distance between you and fellow travelers, certain airlines have booking caps in order to facilitate this. Currently they are Delta, JetBlue and Southwest. Although, as described above, aerosols aren't much of a concern in the aircraft, there should be no symptomatic (coughing) passengers sitting next to you, and everyone is masked, so airborne particles aren't of much concern.

One of the main concerns during travel currently is airport concessions. Do not rely on restaurants in the terminal. Many/most of them are shuttered, and the remaining venues at times have very long lines. If you require a connection through a hub it might be a good idea to bring your own food or arrive early to purchase something to take with you.

Safe travels!
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

I flew Southwest with a 7 and 9 year old. Middle seats are kept open on Southwest. I also flew alone on Spirit Airlines which stuffed us in there like sardines but it was half the price of Southwest. I flew 4 times in the last 2 months connecting in Chicago each time. Everyone wore their masks. Few paid attention to social distancing especially in Chicago and when lining up. Luckily, no one cut in front of me or tapped my shoulder to get closer. People were hustling and bustling as they did before but there are fewer people in total at the airports and on the planes.

The horror stories you hear are really few and far between. My 7 year old refused to wear her mask the whole time. The flight attendant isn't going to walk up and down the aisle policing everyone. They're going to do their rounds before takeoff and landing and that's it. Make sure your belt is fastened and your mask is on during those 9 or 10 times they pass on by. They will be getting up less often because fewer people are buying food now. I just made sure the kids had their mask on when they were walking by.

My 7 year old learned fast that leaving a cup of water or open bag of chips on the tray table was how you can get relief from the mask. I put her in the window seat to be as conspicuous as possible. The flight attendants know this and even cautioned us that they know and may enforce the mask policy even if you are eating and drinking. I forgot to mask up for nearly an hour after I had finished eating and no one said a thing to me. I'm not telling you this to get away with it. I just noticed people doing it and the vast majority of people (children and adults) will mask up when asked without causing issues.

I roughly timed the amount of time from the plane emptying and when were allowed on board. It was about the same. If there is any extra sanitizing going on, they were extremely quick with it. I certainly didn't feel safer now than before. I also don't feel it's dangerous.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

mmmodem wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:14 pm I flew Southwest with a 7 and 9 year old. Middle seats are kept open on Southwest. I also flew alone on Spirit Airlines which stuffed us in there like sardines but it was half the price of Southwest. I flew 4 times in the last 2 months connecting in Chicago each time. Everyone wore their masks. Few paid attention to social distancing especially in Chicago and when lining up. Luckily, no one cut in front of me or tapped my shoulder to get closer. People were hustling and bustling as they did before but there are fewer people in total at the airports and on the planes.

The horror stories you hear are really few and far between. My 7 year old refused to wear her mask the whole time. The flight attendant isn't going to walk up and down the aisle policing everyone. They're going to do their rounds before takeoff and landing and that's it. Make sure your belt is fastened and your mask is on during those 9 or 10 times they pass on by. They will be getting up less often because fewer people are buying food now. I just made sure the kids had their mask on when they were walking by.

My 7 year old learned fast that leaving a cup of water or open bag of chips on the tray table was how you can get relief from the mask. I put her in the window seat to be as conspicuous as possible. The flight attendants know this and even cautioned us that they know and may enforce the mask policy even if you are eating and drinking. I forgot to mask up for nearly an hour after I had finished eating and no one said a thing to me. I'm not telling you this to get away with it. I just noticed people doing it and the vast majority of people (children and adults) will mask up when asked without causing issues.

I roughly timed the amount of time from the plane emptying and when were allowed on board. It was about the same. If there is any extra sanitizing going on, they were extremely quick with it. I certainly didn't feel safer now than before. I also don't feel it's dangerous.
This post highlights some of the reasons I'm not interested in flying right now...or really in being around other people at all.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

mak1277 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:06 pm Expecting a 4 year old to wear a mask for the entirety of a flight is ridiculous. I understand why it's important, but it's an exercise in futility. I am guessing I won't even consider taking my kid on a flight until he's 5 or older and maybe not even then.
I can understand that any kid might not comply. This was the parent's responsibility to determine whether she could keep her lawn apes in line or not. Sounds like not, so she should not have flown. Hope her jail time is interesting.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

getthatmarshmallow wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:06 amToo bad it's not cost-efficient for airplanes to be empty all the time because it's much nicer when they are.
True! I'd happily fly in an empty plane. Of course getting on and off can still be congested and problematic.

I'll wait until vaccinated.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I may be relocating before the end of the year and will likely fly (not a fan of driving 2,000 miles). I plan to wear my mask, a hoodie and bring along hand sanitizer. I think I would have more concerns with the airport experience or conflict on the plane more so than when I'm actually flying unless someone on the plane was coughing a lot. I plan to fly Southwest since they have a nonstop flight and the middle seat will be empty.

Personally I would actively avoid AA due to the crowding on some of their flights.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

mmmodem wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:14 pmI also flew alone on Spirit Airlines which stuffed us in there like sardines but it was half the price of Southwest.

Few paid attention to social distancing especially in Chicago and when lining up.

My 7 year old refused to wear her mask the whole time. The flight attendant isn't going to walk up and down the aisle policing everyone. They're going to do their rounds before takeoff and landing and that's it. I just made sure the kids had their mask on when they were walking by.

My 7 year old learned fast that leaving a cup of water or open bag of chips on the tray table was how you can get relief from the mask.

I forgot to mask up for nearly an hour after I had finished eating and no one said a thing to me.
I'm convinced. This is the kind of behavior I'd want to avoid. I wouldn't want to be near any of that.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

VictoriaF wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:31 am I have not flown recently and not planning to in the near future.

If I had to fly somewhere, I'd wear an N95 mask and abstain from any food or drink during the flight.

Victoria
Same. It doesnt seem right to put others (and my family) at risk for pleasure travel, when essential workers must move around for work reasons.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

I flew to a wedding (Charlotte to DFW) on Labor Day Weekend via American Airlines. The flight there wasn't too bad: about 50% capacity, everyone wore masks, and we spread out so that we were at least a seat apart from other groups. The airports were very empty (not the normal situation for CLT or DFW).
On the way back, things were much more crowded. The flight wasn't 100% full, but it just had scattered vacancies. I was in the aisle seat next to a stranger, and DW was across the aisle next to a stranger.

I wasn't horribly worried, since I'm not at super high risk (31 years old and no heart/lung problems) and I could semi quarantine at home after returning (only left home for a quick grocery trip for a week after returning). If I had health conditions or lived with someone who did, or if I had a public-facing job, I would not have gone.
matti

Post by matti »

I have an option to take a work trip to Montana later this month. My initial plan was to fly, but as time passes, I'm less comfortable with flying. I've decided to drive. I'm a road-trip junkie, so I don't mind the 18-hr trip each way.

Certainly, you should do what you feel most comfortable with. Good luck!
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I have not flown since late 2019 and don't plan to fly until late 2021 or early 2022. I don't want to take the chance of catching the virus.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:30 pm
mak1277 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:06 pm Expecting a 4 year old to wear a mask for the entirety of a flight is ridiculous. I understand why it's important, but it's an exercise in futility. I am guessing I won't even consider taking my kid on a flight until he's 5 or older and maybe not even then.
I can understand that any kid might not comply. This was the parent's responsibility to determine whether she could keep her lawn apes in line or not. Sounds like not, so she should not have flown. Hope her jail time is interesting.
I agree 100%. Not saying the airlines should change, just saying parents need to be realistic as to whether their kid can comply with the totally reasonable rules.
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

mak1277 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:27 pm
mmmodem wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:14 pm I flew Southwest with a 7 and 9 year old. Middle seats are kept open on Southwest. I also flew alone on Spirit Airlines which stuffed us in there like sardines but it was half the price of Southwest. I flew 4 times in the last 2 months connecting in Chicago each time. Everyone wore their masks. Few paid attention to social distancing especially in Chicago and when lining up. Luckily, no one cut in front of me or tapped my shoulder to get closer. People were hustling and bustling as they did before but there are fewer people in total at the airports and on the planes.

This post highlights some of the reasons I'm not interested in flying right now...or really in being around other people at all.
My thoughts exactly. My daughter flew American and the flights were packed. No distancing when boarding and of course not on the flight. She said CLT was also packed and many people not wearing masks or using them for chin warmers. That would drive me crazy. We need to relocate between homes for the season and have elected to fly privately. There will only be two passengers on that plane-us.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

We flew in August from Hilton Head to Denver with a stop each way. We booked first class for all the flights. Early on and only my spouse next to me. Were planning to fly to Palm Springs and back in November/December. Also booked first class for all flights. In early January were going to West Palm and booked first class.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

JoeRetire wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:41 pm
mmmodem wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:14 pmI also flew alone on Spirit Airlines which stuffed us in there like sardines but it was half the price of Southwest.

Few paid attention to social distancing especially in Chicago and when lining up.

My 7 year old refused to wear her mask the whole time. The flight attendant isn't going to walk up and down the aisle policing everyone. They're going to do their rounds before takeoff and landing and that's it. I just made sure the kids had their mask on when they were walking by.

My 7 year old learned fast that leaving a cup of water or open bag of chips on the tray table was how you can get relief from the mask.

I forgot to mask up for nearly an hour after I had finished eating and no one said a thing to me.
I'm convinced. This is the kind of behavior I'd want to avoid. I wouldn't want to be near any of that.
+1 one of the main reasons I cancelled my trip for the fall.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

"Flying during the pandemic"

I fly all of the time. No issues (or concerns) at all.
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Thanks all. Spoke with one of my tennis buddies today who is a pilot for a major commercial airline. He said I should wear a mask and bring hand sanitizer....the HEPA air filters are very good at capturing particles. That should do it.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
synthfan23

Post by synthfan23 »

synthfan23 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:36 pm Any idea when the EU or any part of Europe will open its borders to US Citizens? I mean those of us who don't have dual-citizenship. Thanks.
So this is all intra-US flights. Where out of country are Americans allowed to fly? New Zealand? The Caribbean like St Lucia? South America? Europe? Asia? Where please? Seems like a great opportunity to travel "abroad."
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

tennisplyr wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:35 pm Spoke with one of my tennis buddies today who is a pilot for a major commercial airline. He said I should wear a mask and bring hand sanitizer....the HEPA air filters are very good at capturing particles.
It's reasonable advice. Hopefully, nobody will be sitting next to you or directly behind you as well. Hopefully, the children aboard can be controlled by their parents. And hopefully, nobody forgets to put their masks on.

Take extra care during boarding/deplaning/ being in line in the airport as well. And try to remain in your seat if you can.

Good luck.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

synthfan23 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:03 pm
synthfan23 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:36 pm Any idea when the EU or any part of Europe will open its borders to US Citizens? I mean those of us who don't have dual-citizenship. Thanks.
So this is all intra-US flights. Where out of country are Americans allowed to fly? New Zealand? The Caribbean like St Lucia? South America? Europe? Asia? Where please? Seems like a great opportunity to travel "abroad."
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/us-i ... index.html
austin757

Post by austin757 »

Is there any credible evidence pointing to higher transmission of the virus while flying? There’s none that I’m aware of.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

I bet if you do the math you have a greater chance of dying in a car accident on the way to the airport than contracting covid 19 on a flight and then dying from it. Im an airline pilot and have been flying since this started. Airlines are using middle empty seats as a marketing scheme to people that are scared right now because they can’t fill them anyway. As soon as the demand returns you can bet they will be packing those seats. Most of this is smoke and mirrors.