Recommendations for Peanut Butter With Little or No Added Sugar

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ccf

Re: Recommendations for Peanut Butter With Little or No Added Sugar

Post by ccf »

ScubaHogg wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:42 am Teddy’s. Best peanut butter ever. Usually need to stir first time you open, but not again after. If your local stores don’t sell it, Amazon does

https://teddie.com/product/old-fashion- ... al-smooth/
I second Teddie! It's very good, reasonably priced, and independent and local to me ;)
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:55 am
getthatmarshmallow wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:01 pm Adams No-Stir: peanuts, salt, and a bit of oil for emulsifying.
I wonder if Adams is just a Utah thing because I don't recall seeing it when living in or visiting other states. For us, it's a combination of Adams and grinding our own.
You know, I don't know! I haven't seen it outside of Utah but to be fair haven't been looking.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Marylander1 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:58 pm
stoptothink wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:40 pm FWIW, the U.K. is experiencing a faster rise in MetS and obesity than is the U.S. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 49451.html
True, but that reflects only the rate of change, not current proportion. With 72% of the adult US population already obese or overweight in 2016, there's a limit to how fast we can keep going. There's an mathematically-inevitable asymptote before we hit 100%. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm

Marylander1
The current proportion is quite similar between the U.S. and the U.K. Both have had significant obesity issues for 30+ years. It's not like we're comparing Samoa and Japan; at this point there is ~3% difference in the obesity rates between the two nations.
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

:sharebeer
stoptothink wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:44 am
stoptothink wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:40 pm FWIW, the U.K. is experiencing a faster rise in MetS and obesity than is the U.S. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 49451.html
True, but that reflects only the rate of change, not current proportion. With 72% of the adult US population already obese or overweight in 2016, there's a limit to how fast we can keep going. There's an mathematically-inevitable asymptote before we hit 100%. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm

Marylander1
The current proportion is quite similar between the U.S. and the U.K. Both have had significant obesity issues for 30+ years. It's not like we're comparing Samoa and Japan; at this point there is ~3% difference in the obesity rates between the two nations.
Depressingly neither U.K. or US seem to want to seriously stop the obesity epidemic. In the U.K. most of my doctor colleagues have stopped giving unsolicited dietary advice to obese patients as it often results in a written complaint.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Canopus - My local supermarket (Publix) grinds peanuts and puts the product directly into plastic containers that weigh about a pound and seal the container. I have observed them doing that and they don't seem to add anything, just peanuts. Very good :!:

We place the container on the refrigerator door rack and just cut off a slice enough for a sandwich and heat it in the microwave on waxed paper for about twelve seconds.
Tom D.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

tomd37 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:38 am Canopus - My local supermarket (Publix) grinds peanuts and puts the product directly into plastic containers that weigh about a pound and seal the container. I have observed them doing that and they don't seem to add anything, just peanuts. Very good :!:

We place the container on the refrigerator door rack and just cut off a slice enough for a sandwich and heat it in the microwave on waxed paper for about twelve seconds.
Ah, but are they salted peanuts? I'm guessing not but it is something to consider.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

minimalistmarc wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:52 am :sharebeer
stoptothink wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:44 am

Marylander1
Depressingly neither U.K. or US seem to want to seriously stop the obesity epidemic. In the U.K. most of my doctor colleagues have stopped giving unsolicited dietary advice to obese patients as it often results in a written complaint.
FWIW, I work for a large health products company that owns two medical clinics (and hoping to expand) with an emphasis on MetS and obesity. I am not a medical professional, but I am intricately involved in these clinics and my PhD research was on obesity.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

This is what we use. Laura Scudder's Natural peanut Butter. We are partial to their smooth unsalted version. There is only ONE ingredient: "peanuts." But they also have a salted version, and also nutty versions. (The ones with salt don't have any other extra ingredients--just peanuts and salt).

https://www.laurascudderspeanutbutter.com/products

One caveat: If you are not used to peanut butters without added ingredients, don't be surprised to see that when you open a fresh jar, the oil will have risen to the top--so you have to spend a couple of minutes stirring it. This is normal--peanut butters without added ingredients will not have the chemical emulsifiers that the others have.
dollarsaver

Post by dollarsaver »

ScubaHogg wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:42 am Teddy’s. Best peanut butter ever. Usually need to stir first time you open, but not again after. If your local stores don’t sell it, Amazon does

https://teddie.com/product/old-fashion- ... al-smooth/
+1
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:55 am
getthatmarshmallow wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:01 pm Adams No-Stir: peanuts, salt, and a bit of oil for emulsifying.
I wonder if Adams is just a Utah thing because I don't recall seeing it when living in or visiting other states. For us, it's a combination of Adams and grinding our own.
It's available to us in Washington state.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

abuss368 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:11 am We tried the natural peanut butter and it was horrible. Went with regular peanut butter with less sodium or something (I forget) and I really can’t taste the difference. My breakfast each day is coffee and one slice of peanut butter toast.
The reason you probably didn't care for natural peanut butter is because the peanut butter you've always had had quite a lot of sugar added to it. It's definitely a different flavor when all it is is peanuts and a little salt. But if/once you get used to it, regular peanut butter tastes far too sweet.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

willthrill81 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:02 am
abuss368 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:11 am We tried the natural peanut butter and it was horrible. Went with regular peanut butter with less sodium or something (I forget) and I really can’t taste the difference. My breakfast each day is coffee and one slice of peanut butter toast.
The reason you probably didn't care for natural peanut butter is because the peanut butter you've always had had quite a lot of sugar added to it. It's definitely a different flavor when all it is is peanuts and a little salt. But if/once you get used to it, regular peanut butter tastes far too sweet.
Absolutely no doubt. That was for sure the difference. I drank Coca Cola for many years. Could not believe how hard it was to stop. I began to appreciate that sugar is really white poison!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

Food companies know that sugar and fat combined is highly irresistible. If you like a food with added sugar, then it’s the sugar you like rather than the food.

Natural peanut butter is delicious. I sometimes just take a spoon full straight out the jar.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:51 am The jar of Peanut Wonder I'm looking at list ingredients as "100% pure peanut butter powder." The stuff definitely tastes like peanuts and has a distinct sweet taste to it, despite having no added sugar. Three tablespoons, 15 grams (about the same weight as a single tablespoon of peanut butter) has 70 calories, 15 calories from fat, 2 grams of fiber, and 8 grams of sugar. I haven't found any way to turn it into peanut butter or make a sandwich out of it. My wife and I really like to add it to oatmeal or cereal or such things, and she uses it in cooking in things like recipes for peanut butter sauce.
15g of the stuff has 8g sugar? That’s over 50% sugar.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

This thread is highly American.
Bogle7

100% Peanuts

Post by Bogle7 »

A militant atheist.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

bertilak wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:40 pm
abuss368 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:11 am We tried the natural peanut butter and it was horrible.
JUst don't get the unsalted version.

We use Smuckers. About stirring ... store it upside down in the pantry then stir before putting in in the fridge.
I TAKE THAT BACK!

My wife switched to Laura Scudders and I never noticed. Apparently this was a long time ago.

Edit: Now I see that Smuckers bought out Scudders. Their jars are different but look like they were designed by the same people.
Last edited by bertilak on Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:16 am
Absolutely no doubt. That was for sure the difference. I drank Coca Cola for many years. Could not believe how hard it was to stop. I began to appreciate that sugar is really white poison!
I too drank Coke along with heavily sweetened iced tea for many years. I stopped almost cold turkey over a decade ago and rarely drink sodas or tea any more. The amount of empty calories I've avoided is probably mind boggling.
boglenomics

Post by boglenomics »

taurabora wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:41 am I go with Simply Jif. https://www.jif.com/products/peanut-but ... lsrc=aw.ds
Thanks for the recommendation and for the others who recommended the same. I was at the store today and found it on the shelves. Tastes better in my opinion and will help reduce my sugar intake :D
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

willthrill81 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:33 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:16 am
I too drank Coke along with heavily sweetened iced tea for many years. I stopped almost cold turkey over a decade ago and rarely drink sodas or tea any more. The amount of empty calories I've avoided is probably mind boggling.
Totally agree. I drank a lot of Coca Cola and other drinks. I stopped cold. After a couple of weeks it leaves your system and I found I had no desire anymore. Now, if I think about drinking soda on a 95 degree day, I realize how disgusting that is!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Gort

Post by Gort »

For those who stir, my rocket scientist brother told me that for the first stir, scoop out the PB into a mixing bowl and stir it up there. Then scoop it all back into the jar. You get a much better mix that way and as an added bonus you get to lick the mixing spoon afterwards. Don't try to do the first stir in the jar, that just leads to frustation and anger.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

Natural peanut butter, usually Kroger but sometimes Costco or Adams. When it gets home it's stored upside down to allow the oil to migrate toward the bottom. When I need to use a jar I use an electric hand mixer on low speed to blend it. You can use both beaters in the Costco jars; the smaller Kroger jars I use one beater. Store it in the refrigerator and it doesn't separate.

The mixer was life changing.
https://www.onelovelylife.com/the-best- ... ut-butter/
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

whodidntante wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:06 pm This thread is highly American.
And not in the way most people think.

It appears to me that everyone is in their own peanut butter bubble. All of the recommendations sound good to me.

I like the idea of cutting off a slab. Someone could market chilled pre-cut peanut butter slabs and make a fortune. Laser cut from an extruded cylinder or cylindrical square, in a brightly colored plastic wrapper with paper separating each slice, like cheese. Kids and teens could eat them plain, or rolled up with jelly (or worse). Adults could put them on whole wheat bread, perhaps with avocado. Put one in the bottom of your dog's bowl as a dessert/treat.
CMD1

Post by CMD1 »

For me it's not just the sugar, but also the added oils (always not good oils, plus peanut butter doesn't need it) I've been using the TJ's but you do have to stir the first time. Pre COVID I liked to grind my own in store (no oil separation), I noticed some stores are bring bulk foods back so maybe grinders are back. Nothing like fresh ground nut butter!
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Canopus wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:32 pm The labels of commercially popular peanut butter (Jif, Skippy), typically show sugar as the second most abundant ingredient. I am looking for a brand of peanut butter with little or no added sugar.

Please note: I wish to avoid the so-called "natural" variety of peanut butter in which the oil separates from the solids.

Canopus
If you like Costco, try their organic Peanut Butter. (Ingredients: Peanuts, Salt).
I recommend this as well. https://www.ommadepb.com
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

Love this thread. I hope somebody starts a thread on tinned sardines sometime, my favourite food.
csm

Post by csm »

minimalistmarc wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:14 am Love this thread. I hope somebody starts a thread on tinned sardines sometime, my favourite food.
Please do! On a whim, I bought some boneless / skinless sardines from Costco because I know how healthy they are, but I haven't yet had the courage to open one yet. I have recently started collecting recipes with a view toward giving them a try soon, but would love ideas.
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

csm wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:06 am
minimalistmarc wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:14 am Love this thread. I hope somebody starts a thread on tinned sardines sometime, my favourite food.
Please do! On a whim, I bought some boneless / skinless sardines from Costco because I know how healthy they are, but I haven't yet had the courage to open one yet. I have recently started collecting recipes with a view toward giving them a try soon, but would love ideas.
The skin and bone are very healthy and you don’t notice them.

For a recipe just spread the sardines on some nice toast with some chilli sauce/lemon juice.

Most of the time I just eat then straight out the can!
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

The most recent sardine discussion is here:
Wild Planet Sardines quality problem [Review of sardine brands]
viewtopic.php?t=269847

The mods could split off this discussion to a new topic, if warranted.
If the sardine discussion continues here we will eventually be discussing pistachio ice cream and I Love Lucy reruns as well.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Walmart has a natural brand (have to stir to use it), I was absolutely floored by how good it tasted. Organic. Price was good too. It had no sugar or only a super tiny bit.

Found it

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value- ... /414055530
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

gag. you, my friend, need help :P

I don't think goats even eat sardines.

Do you put pnut butter on them before eating?
dstac

Post by dstac »

+1
No-stir creamy is our go to. There’s a crunchy too if that’s your thing.

How I got too lazy to stir, no idea, but same price and less mess.