Recommendations for Peanut Butter With Little or No Added Sugar

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Canopus

Recommendations for Peanut Butter With Little or No Added Sugar

Post by Canopus »

The labels of commercially popular peanut butter (Jif, Skippy), typically show sugar as the second most abundant ingredient. I am looking for a brand of peanut butter with little or no added sugar.

Please note: I wish to avoid the so-called "natural" variety of peanut butter in which the oil separates from the solids.

Canopus
XacTactX

Re: Recommendations for Peanut Butter With Little or No Added Sugar

Post by XacTactX »

I was at Albertsons a few days ago and i saw one i think it was Jif, with less salt and sugar, i looked at the nutrition facts and sugar was <1 gram in a 180 kcal serving. And if i recall correctly it used palm oil or some other oil to avoid separating into layers. It might be suitable for you

Trader Joes also has a no stir version of its peanut butter but the problem is it contains 2-3g of sugar, its similar to Jif / Skippy regular

I dont think ive ever seen this PB in a grocery store but it would be good if you can find in your neck of the woods https://www.jif.com/products/peanut-but ... nut-butter
SMLF | ISCF | EMGF | LendingClub | Cash
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

Just a tip, storing it upside down before opening makes stirring much easier. TJ's had just peanuts with or without salt. Costco's Kirkland brand has peanuts and salt. Both require some stirring, but only the first time (well, in my experience, perhaps because I store it in the fridge after opening).
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

Adams No-Stir: peanuts, salt, and a bit of oil for emulsifying.
bartbill

Post by bartbill »

Kroger has an All-Natural peanut butter. Only peanuts and salt. I eat it on dry Orowheat oat bread 3-4 days a week. It does separate but stirring is not that hard. I don't refrigerate it.
TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

Peanut Butter & Company is my pick.

https://ilovepeanutbutter.com/products/ ... ned-smooth
"Give a cat a fish and it will eat for a day. Teach a cat to fish and it will just sit there waiting for you to give it a fish."
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

Aldi's "Peanut Delight Peanut Butter" has 2g added sugar for 4g's total. There "Peanut Delight Natural Peanut Butter" only has 3g's total and it's cane sugar vs corn syrup but costs more, also has less salt. I prefer the regular over Jiff and there Natural isn't bad.

There organic version only has 2g's total sugar but I'm not a fan of the taste.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Many grocery stores have peanut grinding machines in the bulk food area. At Winco grocery stores the sugared peanuts, the cashews, and the almond nut grinders are next to the plain peanut grinder.
BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson »

Just get organic peanut butter. I shop at Wegman's.
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Also, try Almond Butter at the health food store.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

FoolMeOnce wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:49 pm Just a tip, storing it upside down before opening makes stirring much easier. TJ's had just peanuts with or without salt. Costco's Kirkland brand has peanuts and salt. Both require some stirring, but only the first time (well, in my experience, perhaps because I store it in the fridge after opening).
+1. Costco brand is a favorite in my house. Follow instructions above
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Teddy’s. Best peanut butter ever. Usually need to stir first time you open, but not again after. If your local stores don’t sell it, Amazon does

https://teddie.com/product/old-fashion- ... al-smooth/
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

It's not peanut butter, and can't be used like peanut butter, and I have no idea what Michael Pollan would think of it. But my wife and I are making increasing use of a family of products called "peanut butter powder." The brand we see most often in supermarkets is PB2; our local supermarket also has Peanut Wonder and PBFit; and I see that Walmart offers it in their house brand:

The jar of Peanut Wonder I'm looking at list ingredients as "100% pure peanut butter powder." The stuff definitely tastes like peanuts and has a distinct sweet taste to it, despite having no added sugar. Three tablespoons, 15 grams (about the same weight as a single tablespoon of peanut butter) has 70 calories, 15 calories from fat, 2 grams of fiber, and 8 grams of sugar. I haven't found any way to turn it into peanut butter or make a sandwich out of it. My wife and I really like to add it to oatmeal or cereal or such things, and she uses it in cooking in things like recipes for peanut butter sauce.

It might have some role to play in your dietary life. It is a peanut-based thing with a peanut flavor that has no added sweetener and yet tastes slightly sweet.

I don't think there's any real solution to natural peanut butter separating other than "learn to stir, learn the tricks, learn to live with it." You can get past the squelching noise and somewhat disgusting appearance, no worse than fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt. We don't do it because frankly when we use peanut butter we like the normal product, sugar and all.
Last edited by nisiprius on Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

getthatmarshmallow wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:01 pm Adams No-Stir: peanuts, salt, and a bit of oil for emulsifying.
I wonder if Adams is just a Utah thing because I don't recall seeing it when living in or visiting other states. For us, it's a combination of Adams and grinding our own.
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

I used to hate the oil separation in natural PB but now I just take a table knife and spend a couple minutes after first opening mixing it up. After that I have to do very little mixing. I mainly eat Adams but any "peanuts only" brand is probably good. And if I haven't mixed good enough I end up with thick, drier PB at the bottom of the jar which is actually delicious.
tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat »

Smucker's all natural peanut butter.

Kroger natural peanut butter.

We buy a lot of both
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We tried the natural peanut butter and it was horrible. Went with regular peanut butter with less sodium or something (I forget) and I really can’t taste the difference. My breakfast each day is coffee and one slice of peanut butter toast.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
mkc

Post by mkc »

Do watch out for low-sugar peanut butters (or other products) that contain xylitol (a number do) as a replacement sweetener, especially if you have dogs. Xylitol is highly toxic to dogs, even in small amounts.
Topic Author
Canopus

Post by Canopus »

To mkc:

Thank you so much re the heads-up re xylitol. I regularly insert peanut butter into my dog's Kong toy. Indeed, this is one reason I am seeking peanut butter with little or no added sugar.

Canopus
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Make your own. We just toast some raw unsalted peanuts and put them in a food processor for somewhere around 3 minutes, stopping to stir scrape down the sides now and then. We add absolutely nothing to them.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

abuss368 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:11 am We tried the natural peanut butter and it was horrible. Went with regular peanut butter with less sodium or something (I forget) and I really can’t taste the difference. My breakfast each day is coffee and one slice of peanut butter toast.
I can't even stomach "normal" peanut butter, it tastes like cake frosting to me; cloyingly sweet and unnatural tasting. My kids don't know any different, they've never had anything but blended peanuts on their sandwiches (maybe at grandma's house). I get a kick out of food marketing: label something "natural" or "simply" because it has less hydrogenated oils and sugar than the conventional version.
Enganerd

Post by Enganerd »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:51 am It's not peanut butter, and can't be used like peanut butter, and I have no idea what Michael Pollan would think of it. But my wife and I are making increasing use of a family of products called "peanut butter powder." The brand we see most often in supermarkets is PB2; our local supermarket also has Peanut Wonder and PBFit; and I see that Walmart offers it in their house brand:

The jar of Peanut Wonder I'm looking at list ingredients as "100% pure peanut butter powder." The stuff definitely tastes like peanuts and has a distinct sweet taste to it, despite having no added sugar. Three tablespoons, 15 grams (about the same weight as a single tablespoon of peanut butter) has 70 calories, 15 calories from fat, 2 grams of fiber, and 8 grams of sugar. I haven't found any way to turn it into peanut butter or make a sandwich out of it. My wife and I really like to add it to oatmeal or cereal or such things, and she uses it in cooking in things like recipes for peanut butter sauce.

It might have some role to play in your dietary life. It is a peanut-based thing with a peanut flavor that has no added sweetener and yet tastes slightly sweet.

I don't think there's any real solution to natural peanut butter separating other than "learn to stir, learn the tricks, learn to live with it." You can get past the squelching noise and somewhat disgusting appearance, no worse than fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt. We don't do it because frankly when we use peanut butter we like the normal product, sugar and all.
We like Naked PB. It is similar to the above products but only has one ingredient: peanuts. Basically peanuts with less fat if that is good for your dietary goals. I think it tastes great and is good mixed in with oatmeal, fruit, whey protein and the like. I have not used it for a sandwich though, I imagine you might want the fat for that application.
FreddyC

Post by FreddyC »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:51 am

I haven't found any way to turn it into peanut butter or make a sandwich out of it. My wife and I really like to add it to oatmeal or cereal or such things, and she uses it in cooking in things like recipes for peanut butter sauce.
I’m a fan of the product also. Has varied uses, my preferences are in a “hulk” smoothie- combined with banana, spinach, and Greek yogurt- or as an ice cream topping, or as the peanut component of a stir fry topping sauce.

If you mix in a bowl with water or milk, you can get a spreadable paste, but I prefer the other uses and only do that if I’m desperate for a spread.
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

+1 for Adams. Yes, you will have to stir it the first time. We stir and then store in the fridge which fixes all the ingredients together.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

TinyElvis wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:04 pm Peanut Butter & Company is my pick.

https://ilovepeanutbutter.com/products/ ... ned-smooth
+1 My goto for PB
(also for their powerdered PB)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Rats. What was the trick for preventing separation of natural peanut butter? If I am not mistaken... yeah... keeping it in the refrigerator is suppose to prevent that, or slow it down. But then, of course, it's becomes hard to spread.

But one of life's great mysteries is why we are so addicted to very, very trivial conveniences. But I find that I, at least, am.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:48 am Rats. What was the trick for preventing separation of natural peanut butter? If I am not mistaken... yeah... keeping it in the refrigerator is suppose to prevent that, or slow it down. But then, of course, it's becomes hard to spread.
I guess I don't know any different, but store it upside down and put in fridge after mixing. We never have issues.
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

Sugar in peanut butter???
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

FoolMeOnce wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:49 pm Just a tip, storing it upside down before opening makes stirring much easier. TJ's had just peanuts with or without salt. Costco's Kirkland brand has peanuts and salt. Both require some stirring, but only the first time (well, in my experience, perhaps because I store it in the fridge after opening).
I wish I'd known of this tip 20 years ago. :oops:

But yeah, stir once, keep in the fridge and should be good to go. Sometimes towards the bottom of the jar if it's too dry I add a bit of peanut oil and stir again.
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

"Simply Jif" has only 1 gram of added sugar per serving, and is the lowest we've found among the non-separating ones. Its label is primarily white.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:55 am
getthatmarshmallow wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:01 pm Adams No-Stir: peanuts, salt, and a bit of oil for emulsifying.
I wonder if Adams is just a Utah thing because I don't recall seeing it when living in or visiting other states. For us, it's a combination of Adams and grinding our own.
I've been eating Adams PB for years and am not in UT.
bluecollar

Post by bluecollar »

North shore goodies peanut butter. The only two ingredients are peanuts and coconut oil. By far the best peanut butter I’ve ever had. It is rather expensive though because it’s made in Hawaii.
bberris

Post by bberris »

Aldi, Trader Joes and Costco have peanut butter no sugar, only salt added. You have to stir it up, then if you keep it in the fridge it won't separate.
flyphotoguy

Post by flyphotoguy »

Been getting Trader Joe's peanut and almond butter for years, both unsalted so I'm hoping they were just crushed as is.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

I just use Kroger's "natural" brand which is just peanuts and salt. I stir when I first open the jar and then store in the refrigerator. It gets thicker in the fridge (I prefer that to the runnier consistency if left at room temp), but not too thick to stir. It does get a little dry at the bottom of the jar, but I'm going to try storing it upside down before opening, to see if that helps (I suspect that will help the oil disperse throughout the mixture).

Also: try the "grind your own" option. Kroger has this as does my local co-op. I don't notice the oil separation as much with this stuff, probably because I get smaller quantities.
csm

Post by csm »

Publix supermarket sells fresh ground peanut butter in containers in the deli section. It is only peanuts, or maybe peanuts and salt. But no added oil or any sweeteners. It never separates and tastes very good.

I haven't made my own yet, but plan to do that now that I have a Vitamix.

The Costco Kirkland brand almond butter is only organic roasted almonds and nothing else, needs very little stirring. I'm guessing their peanut butter may be similar.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Walmart has Crazy Richards.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

abuss368 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:11 am We tried the natural peanut butter and it was horrible.
JUst don't get the unsalted version.

We use Smuckers. About stirring ... store it upside down in the pantry then stir before putting in in the fridge.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

In the U.K. most peanut butters are salt and sugar free. There is separation, but nothing that a quick stir doesn’t fix.

Peanut butter must be different in America. Here it’s seen as a health food so we don’t add salt or sugar.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

bertilak wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:40 pm
abuss368 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:11 am We tried the natural peanut butter and it was horrible.
JUst don't get the unsalted version.

We use Smuckers. About stirring ... store it upside down in the pantry then stir before putting in in the fridge.
Interesting. Thanks!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
JimMolony

Post by JimMolony »

+1 for Adams
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

minimalistmarc wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:05 pm In the U.K. most peanut butters are salt and sugar free. There is separation, but nothing that a quick stir doesn’t fix.

Peanut butter must be different in America. Here it’s seen as a health food so we don’t add salt or sugar.
It plays roughly the role of Nutella--very common, used for a high protein food that kids like.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

minimalistmarc wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:05 pm In the U.K. most peanut butters are salt and sugar free. There is separation, but nothing that a quick stir doesn’t fix.

In the United States, almost all processed food is laden with sugar. Peanut butter, pasta sauce, salad dressing, oatmeal, and tomato soup are among them. Barbecue sauce here is often comprised most of high fructose corn syrup. Wonder Bread is 9% pure sugar. Even well-known brands of soda drinks have more sugar here than Europe. Schweppe's Tonic Water has 4 teaspoons of sugar per can in the UK, and 11 teaspoons in the USA. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... world.html

It's no wonder our life expectancy is dropping.

Marylander1
Last edited by Marylander1 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Marylander1 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:37 pm

In the United States, almost all processed food is laden with sugar. Peanut butter, pasta sauce, horseradish-based cocktail sauce, oatmeal, and tomato soup are among them. Barbecue sauce here is often comprised most of high fructose corn syrup. Even well-known brands of soda drinks have more sugar here than Europe. Schweppe's Tonic Water has 4 teaspoons of sugar per can in the UK, and 11 teaspoons in the USA. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... world.html

It's no wonder our life expectancy is dropping.

Marylander1
FWIW, the U.K. is experiencing a faster rise in MetS and obesity than is the U.S. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 49451.html
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:40 pm FWIW, the U.K. is experiencing a faster rise in MetS and obesity than is the U.S. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 49451.html
True, but that reflects only the rate of change, not current proportion. With 72% of the adult US population already obese or overweight in 2016, there's a limit to how fast we can keep going. There's an mathematically-inevitable asymptote before we hit 100%. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm

Marylander1
egrets

Post by egrets »

XacTactX wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:39 pm I was at Albertsons a few days ago and i saw one i think it was Jif, with less salt and sugar, i looked at the nutrition facts and sugar was <1 gram in a 180 kcal serving. And if i recall correctly it used palm oil or some other oil to avoid separating into layers. It might be suitable for you
Palm oil is terrible. Tropical forests are being destroyed, animals are made homeless and brutally killed,

"One Casualty of the Palm Oil Industry: An Orangutan Mother, Shot 74 Times" And her baby died:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/29/worl ... m-oil.html
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

Duplicate Post
Last edited by rooms222 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

tashnewbie wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:54 am I just use Kroger's "natural" brand which is just peanuts and salt. I stir when I first open the jar and then store in the refrigerator. It gets thicker in the fridge (I prefer that to the runnier consistency if left at room temp), but not too thick to stir. It does get a little dry at the bottom of the jar, but I'm going to try storing it upside down before opening, to see if that helps (I suspect that will help the oil disperse throughout the mixture).

Also: try the "grind your own" option. Kroger has this as does my local co-op. I don't notice the oil separation as much with this stuff, probably because I get smaller quantities.
Also, when Kroger's regular store brand peanut butter is on sale for 99c, the natural is given a similar markdown and is available for $1.29. Sometimes this is done by electronic coupon to buy up to 5 at that price.