Do you think PDFescape.com is safe?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rh00p

Do you think PDFescape.com is safe?

Post by rh00p »

It's a free online PDF editor but my issue is you first have to upload that PDF to the site. I'm skeptical of any content that can be captured, or who, if anyone is watching.

Or if there's another cost effective option.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Do you think PDFescape.com is safe?

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (software).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

No, none of them are safe. You upload data to a site that you have no control over. Fundamentally bad.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

No, not safe
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Do they promise that you retain full ownership of your data and that they will safeguard it?
If so, do you believe them?
If so, do you believe they are capable of doing what they say?
If so, are you qualified to make that judgment, and do you have the necessary data to render it?

Gather around the campfire and whodidntante will tell you a story.
Equifax is a large corporation that has social security numbers of most American adults, a history of home addresses, employment history, a record of every credit application, and a record of every loan and tradeline you have and whether you've been naughty or nice. They have built a business around putting this information behind a paywall and limiting access to it. Then they proceeded to let a lot of it fly out in a data breach because they are simply not trustworthy.

But anywho, no, PDFescape.com is not a place you can trust with data that must remain private. I wouldn't trust them to make me a sandwich.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I'm not sure what you mean by 'safe', but if you mean that it will be kept private/confidential with no one else being able to access it.. No, I wouldn't trust that to be the case with a document uploaded to some website.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I wouldn't do it with any document I didn't want the world to see. Not necessarily that they would, but I can see no reason to expect privacy.
MP123

Post by MP123 »

I certainly wouldn't upload anything confidential to any site.

What do you need to edit? The free Adobe DC software can handle many things.
csmath

Post by csmath »

... double post sorry.
Last edited by csmath on Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
csmath

Post by csmath »

rh00p wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:19 pm It's a free online PDF editor but my issue is you first have to upload that PDF to the site. I'm skeptical of any content that can be captured, or who, if anyone is watching.

Or if there's another cost effective option.
The answer is a clear and confident NO to your first question but I haven't seen anyone address your second question. (EDIT: of course MP123 mentions it while I'm typing this and posts before me... making me look blind!)

Are you sure you need a PDF editor at all? If can share, what exactly are you trying to do that requires a PDF editor? There is always another way... maybe one of them is reasonable.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

If you just need to create a PDF, Windows 10 has a native print to PDF function, or newer versions of Word can save as PDF. I believe Libreoffice can, too.

Word can even convert existing PDF's to a compatible format for editing, although the layout might not remain perfect.

If you need to do more sophisticated edits, you should probably plan on Acrobat Pro, or the paid versions of one of the established 3rd party PDF tools like Foxit or Nitro.
egrets

Post by egrets »

I use zamzar all the time to convert docx to doc and really I don't worry about it. I do see they do pdf conversions also.

I wouldn't upload my email or anything sensitive to any website, however.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

MP123 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:15 pm

What do you need to edit? The free Adobe DC software can handle many things.
This is key. A while back a friend asked me to find him a PDF editor, so I tried a lot of them. It turns out that editing a PDF is not that easy. The PDF format was designed to make a particular document show up exactly the same on different platforms. It was not designed to allow editing. For example, some portions that look like text might be images and thus not editable. The problems I saw had to do with aligning text properly. When I added text with some products, it threw off the entire rest of the document.

But I'm going to go against the grain here. I might use the free version. I would look at the document I wanted to edit and say to myself, what bad could happen if this fell into the wrong hands? For 99% of the PDF's I deal with, particularly ones I want to edit, the answer would be "nothing". For example, my friend with the PDF to be edited was going to put it up on his web site anyway.

For any free software I try to look at the business model. If it doesn't make sense, then I'm nervous about what they might do with my data. In this case, the business model is "freemium", which is legitimate. In other words, they are probably trying to treat you nicely in the free version in hopes you'll pony up for the paid version.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Buy a copy of Adobe DC Std. or a copy of Nitro https://www.gonitro.com/pricing
Or find a old CD of Adobe Acrobat Std 9.
Elric

Post by Elric »

Trust in such matters is not binary.

If you asked me to make an even bet on whether or not they deliberately extract private data from the documents, or retain documents that you have not asked them to retain for long periods, I'd bet that they do not.

If you asked me whether or not I'd use them or a similar service for documents containing financial account information, social security numbers, or similar, I would not.
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin
johnubc

Post by johnubc »

Anything you upload is not safe. Period.
batpot

Post by batpot »

what are you trying to edit?
Why does it have to remain in the PDF format?
Topic Author
rh00p

Post by rh00p »

batpot wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:31 am what are you trying to edit?
Why does it have to remain in the PDF format?
Occasionally I need to fill out a form I download from say a healthcare or financial institution. My address is long so you need to write super neatly. Don't want to spend +$125 on software I need no more than a couple times a year. For now I'm filling out forms using image editing software.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.
fwellimort

Post by fwellimort »

Foxit PDF Reader Free Edition has all the basic functionalities of inserting text / writing on text / adding signatures /etc that you seem to be asking for.

Worst comes to shove, try to force open the pdf with Msft Word or LibreOffice Word. Just telling you in advance, sometimes the format is complete garbage. Sometimes, it's great. It's a coin flip with this method (hence I recommend Foxit PDF Reader approach).

Plus, Foxit PDF Reader is really light and great on Windows machine. It's dreadful on Linux machines though (it keeps crashing there).