how do you make your home smell good?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
WillRetire

Re: how do you make your home smell good?

Post by WillRetire »

Wipe down woodwork, especially baseboards, with a water-based cleaning solution. E.g. fill a bucket halfway with warm water, add a gentle cleaner that is safe for painted wood work & other common surfaces (Murphy's oil soap is one; pick something with a scent you like), dip a clean rag, wring out, wipe down a section, rinse rag in solution & repeat. This removes dust & grime better than vacuuming & dry-dusting. Don't forget the windows' interior frames & wood work around.

You'll notice the water gradually getting dirty, which means you're making progress! Change the solution as needed.

Have wall-to-wall carpets professionally cleaned.

If house still has odors, hire a cleaning service to find the source. They're experts.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Keep it clean...but working for the world's largest producer of "house smell good" products and therefore having a lifetime supply in my closet doesn't hurt.
azanon

Post by azanon »

egrets wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:31 am
azanon wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:05 pm Is Febreze still the go-to item in this area, and addresses a lot of the problems mentioned? I thought the trick with that product was it eliminated (or masked) bad odors more-so than it made some sort of artificial fragrance. So maybe either spray or plug-in Febreze with a mild scent (if any).
Febreze is horrible smelling. That's one of the things that would have me leaving the house immediately.
Original Febreze didn't have a smell. The whole point of the product was to eliminate smells, not add additional ones. That said, you can buy scented ones too.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

egrets wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:37 am
AerialWombat wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:39 am Open window in one room for air intake. Dual window fan running 24/7 to blow air out of the cats’ bathroom.

It’s my current solution to keep my entire house from smelling like litter box. I don’t know which one it is, but one of these damn cats makes a putrid stench when she does her business. Disgusting animals.
This is a sign of a possible urinary tract infection and a vet visit is in order.
It’s the poo that stinks. Neither has a UTI, it’s already been checked out. Poo just stinks, part of having pets.

I was mainly being a smartaleck. Point is forced air flow does wonders. Bring fresh air in. I closed up the house for a week due to the fires, and it wasn’t good (even with scooping litter trays twice a day).
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

Patchouli and body odor
batpot

Post by batpot »

we have a dog.

so...nose blindness.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

depends how long you want to to smell nice. I've heard of putting dryer sheets in the hvac vents (where the heat/ac comes out)
egrets

Post by egrets »

racy wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:07 am I'd rather remove odor than add odors/fresheners. I notice that Filtrete makes an air filter with "an active carbon layer" for odor reduction. https://tinyurl.com/yygwrfb2
I have not tried them so I can't vouch for effectiveness.
I use Filtrete air filters designed to remove allergens. They definitely make a difference with that.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

telemark wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:00 am
azanon wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:05 pm Is Febreze still the go-to item in this area, and addresses a lot of the problems mentioned? I thought the trick with that product was it eliminated (or masked) bad odors more-so than it made some sort of artificial fragrance. So maybe either spray or plug-in Febreze with a mild scent (if any).
I'm not a chemist, but my lay understanding is that the active ingredient in Febreze binds to certain types of odor molecules and renders them inert. This is in contrast to Nonscents, which breaks down the molecules using some sort of oxidation. In my experience as a person with a sensitive nose, they are both effective.

The story is that the initial marketing of Febreze was a flop because customers didn't want to acknowledge that they had odor problems. They had to add the artificial fragrance before it would sell.
azanon wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:36 am
egrets wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:31 am
Febreze is horrible smelling. That's one of the things that would have me leaving the house immediately.
Original Febreze didn't have a smell. The whole point of the product was to eliminate smells, not add additional ones. That said, you can buy scented ones too.
We used Fabreze a bit quite some time ago, when it was fairly new, but haven't needed anything like that for a while.

Is there a Fabreze *now* that has no scent?
DH has severe allergies, so any artificial scent can cause problems.

But i still worried about Fabreze because it may "eliminate" scents, but it would still "add stuff" to the air.

I hadn't heard of Nonscents (cute name!).

Which of these, Fabreze or Nonscents, would be more likely NOT to keep "stuff" (noticeably scented or not) floating in the air? Would one be more likely to cause particles to fall, for example?
(Magically disappearing would be better, but probably not listed on the labels :wink: )

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
CABob

Post by CABob »

I have been using Zero Odor for some time. It seems to do a good job of removing odors without adding a new fragrance.
Bob
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

We heard that opening windows would actually make the house smell worse or a least different because the bacteria in the carpets or wherever are activated by the increase in oxygen and start multiplying. Even a glass of water exposed to the outside air begins to smell differently.
DeskJumper

Post by DeskJumper »

The new house smell, like when buying a new car, is mainly offgassing construction materials. Fresh paint and carpet can go a long way, along with a thorough duct cleaning if you have forced air in your home. I have used furnace filters impregnated with activated carbon, and that helped further. Good ventilation and humidity control is also crucial. Mold spores are omnipresent in every home, but if there is too much moisture they will activate and start to release gasses which create that funky old house smell. For temporary odors like cooking smells, smoke, etc you can leave a bowl of white vinegar out in the room for a time. You can also fill up a pot with water and add cinnamon sticks and cloves, and let it simmer on the stove for a natural scent that is nice this time of year.
Gattina

Post by Gattina »

If you have pets, especially cats or birds you should be very careful about using essential oils/diffusers. Many are very toxic, even deadly. Do some research before using them. As far as smells... can't beat clean! (I also open the windows whenever possible)
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Wash your bed and bath lennins often. Throw blankets and pillows also absorb body odors. Fresh air is a must. No Fabreze or other smelly odors. They choke me.

Best wishes
Lily

[/quote]
telemark

Post by telemark »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:02 pm We used Fabreze a bit quite some time ago, when it was fairly new, but haven't needed anything like that for a while.

Is there a Fabreze *now* that has no scent?
There is this

https://www.febreze.com/en-us/products/ ... -freshener

but I don't recollect ever seeing it on a shelf anywhere. You might have to order it online.
DH has severe allergies, so any artificial scent can cause problems.

But i still worried about Fabreze because it may "eliminate" scents, but it would still "add stuff" to the air.

I hadn't heard of Nonscents (cute name!).

Which of these, Fabreze or NonScents, would be more likely NOT to keep "stuff" (noticeably scented or not) floating in the air? Would one be more likely to cause particles to fall, for example?
(Magically disappearing would be better, but probably not listed on the labels :wink: )

Thanks.

RM
I'm really not qualified to answer that :( The NonScents products are mostly topical, for use on furniture, carpets, pet litter and suchlike. I use their shoe inserts in my running shoes, where they work very well. So they probably don't put much into the air but maybe aren't what you're looking for.

CABob mentions Zero Odor. I hadn't heard of it before (thanks!), but the language on their web site suggests that it's similar to Febreze, perhaps working around patent issues, and without the added fragrance.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

shunkman wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:44 pm If selling, some people are very put off by artificial fragrances and heavy scents. Use in moderation if at all. Buyers may suspect that you are trying to cover up another odor such as mold.
And some people are allergic to fragrances and scents.

I burn an unscented candle after I cook something that smells up my kitchen/living area. Amazon has some unscented prayer candles that will last 9 days.
canderson

Post by canderson »

Unscented candle + candle warmer

And open windows and a clean home.

It’s that easy.
leeks

Post by leeks »

surfstar wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:29 pm
Brianmcg321 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:45 pm Keep windows open as much as possible.
This.
Fresh air - accept no substitute!

It would weird me out to be parading through new homes during a pandemic, also. That is where you'd want all the windows and doors open for ventilation and hopefully the air would not be stagnant enough to notice any odors.
+1

plant sweet smelling flowers outside if you wish
tarnation

Post by tarnation »

I hate most artificial scents and if a house has any kind of smell is a huge turnoff for me. For those suggesting plugins etc. You may be interested in https://stinkmovie.com/
rixer

Post by rixer »

tarnation wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:58 pm I hate most artificial scents and if a house has any kind of smell is a huge turnoff for me. For those suggesting plugins etc. You may be interested in https://stinkmovie.com/
No, it didn't interest me. We have an older house and it gets a musty odor when it's been closed up. The house is clean, no pets and has hard surface floors so don't go there. Two plug-ins at each end of the house does the job, fast and efficient without a strong masking odor.
It may be a turn off for others, but for under $5 and as easy as plugging it in, it works for us. The house smells fresh and that's good enough for me. :beer
Farmboyslim83

Post by Farmboyslim83 »

Run bath, get in, cut farts.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

1 - change my air filter every 3 months and they are filters with activated charcoal in them.
2 - no smoking and no pets
3 - personally, I like citrus so when I eat an orange I leave the rinds out for a while before I throw them out. I also use some citrus essential oils.

I would like to open the windows, but outdoor seasonal allergies keeps me from doing that when the weather is most moderate in the spring and fall.
nptit

Post by nptit »

indoor plants, open windows, keep the house clean
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

Activated charcoal filters or air purifiers that use activated charcoal. Leave baking soda open in smelly areas - where you store rain jackets, boots ..for example. This will get rid of smells and then introduce your favorite smell artificially.
egrets

Post by egrets »

AerialWombat wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:57 am
egrets wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:37 am
AerialWombat wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:39 am Open window in one room for air intake. Dual window fan running 24/7 to blow air out of the cats’ bathroom.

It’s my current solution to keep my entire house from smelling like litter box. I don’t know which one it is, but one of these damn cats makes a putrid stench when she does her business. Disgusting animals.
This is a sign of a possible urinary tract infection and a vet visit is in order.
It’s the poo that stinks. Neither has a UTI, it’s already been checked out. Poo just stinks, part of having pets.

I was mainly being a smartaleck. Point is forced air flow does wonders. Bring fresh air in. I closed up the house for a week due to the fires, and it wasn’t good (even with scooping litter trays twice a day).
I use Purina Tidy Cats 24/7 Performance Clay Cat Litter Non-Clumping, a 10 lb bag in a large litter tray changed every 4-5 days for one cat. When I had more than one cat I had more trays. I scoop the stool out almost immediately onto aluminum foil, close it up and it goes into the bathroom trash container. It's very rare to have a smell. I'm retired so I'm home to do the scooping right away.

Maybe it's the food. I buy dry food Purina Complete and Purina Indoor, and Fancy Feast canned food.

I wipe out the tray when cleaning with Natures Miracle which is an enzyme thing that destroys urine.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

rixer wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:03 am
tarnation wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:58 pm I hate most artificial scents and if a house has any kind of smell is a huge turnoff for me. For those suggesting plugins etc. You may be interested in https://stinkmovie.com/
No, it didn't interest me. We have an older house and it gets a musty odor when it's been closed up. The house is clean, no pets and has hard surface floors so don't go there. Two plug-ins at each end of the house does the job, fast and efficient without a strong masking odor.
It may be a turn off for others, but for under $5 and as easy as plugging it in, it works for us. The house smells fresh and that's good enough for me. :beer
Musty means mold, means humidity/water. You really should consider running a dehumidifier on a fairly aggressive setting for a month or two, then set it a bit higher when the musty smell is no longer lingering when the house is closed up. It's very likely you have a break in the sealing of your home or it wasn't built perfectly tight and you have rot inside the walls.

The dehumidifier will stop further progression and deactivate what's there. The only other option is to open up the walls and replace anything damaged.

https://youtu.be/CIcrXut_EFA?t=329
rixer

Post by rixer »

kevinf wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:27 pm
Musty means mold, means humidity/water. You really should consider running a dehumidifier on a fairly aggressive setting for a month or two, then set it a bit higher when the musty smell is no longer lingering when the house is closed up. It's very likely you have a break in the sealing of your home or it wasn't built perfectly tight and you have rot inside the walls.

The dehumidifier will stop further progression and deactivate what's there. The only other option is to open up the walls and replace anything damaged.

You're making wild guesses without knowing anything about my house or climate. We do not have a mold problem, the house is dry and we're in a dry climate. A dehumidifier serves no purpose here.
Tear down walls? lol. No thanks, two plug-ins and there's no problem at all.
s8r

Post by s8r »

A dry, healthy, and properly ventilated home doesn't have a particular smell. It smells neutral.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

rixer wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:36 pm

You're making wild guesses without knowing anything about my house or climate. We do not have a mold problem, the house is dry and we're in a dry climate. A dehumidifier serves no purpose here.
Given the description, I don't need to guess... Musty means mold and dust, period. You can be in a dry climate with rot in your walls. It's about the difference in vapor level anyway. Dry outside? Your house is wet inside; bath steam, cooking steam, laundry, dishwashers, sinks, humans offgassing, etc. The vapor travels through the wall to reach the lower vapor pressure outside and collects on colder, condensing surfaces and becomes mold and rot. A dehumidifier will reduce or eliminate this effect. Sounds like the house needs circulation too (no forced air?), some air purifiers and ceiling fans could go a long way to creating a fresh environment without opening windows.

https://www.google.com/search?q=define+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
Last edited by kevinf on Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Rinse and wash your dishes and pots and pans right after every meal. Never put dirty unrinsed dishes in the dish washer. Run the dishwasher regularly and make sure it smells clean. Freeze all food scrapes and run the sink disposal regularly. Put a lemon or grapefruit down the disposal every few days. Take out frozen food scrapes to garbage right before pick up time.

Have the carpets deep cleaned every year. Then open the windows and let clean air circulate for 2-3 days to dry carpets and remove any latent odors.

Leave the windows open a lot when the weather is nice. I do this all summer.

Figure out how to clean the drapes and window shades in the whole house every few years. I use a vacuum and attachment hoses.

Good Luck.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

Pinterest knows too much about me :shock: An article in my feed appeared with instructions on how to make your house smell like Williams-Sonoma. It used hot water, lemon slices, rosemary sprigs and vanilla. I had no idea that scent marketing is a thing, but apparently some stores have a signature scent that is used as part of their branding.
IMO

Post by IMO »

DeskJumper wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:45 pm The new house smell, like when buying a new car, is mainly offgassing construction materials. Fresh paint and carpet can go a long way, along with a thorough duct cleaning if you have forced air in your home. I have used furnace filters impregnated with activated carbon, and that helped further. Good ventilation and humidity control is also crucial. Mold spores are omnipresent in every home, but if there is too much moisture they will activate and start to release gasses which create that funky old house smell. For temporary odors like cooking smells, smoke, etc you can leave a bowl of white vinegar out in the room for a time. You can also fill up a pot with water and add cinnamon sticks and cloves, and let it simmer on the stove for a natural scent that is nice this time of year.
Agree with the new house smell being really the same of the new car smell. Depending on if one uses low VOC paints, once things like new carpet are given a little time to off gas, then you get that new house smell so common to model homes. Plus there hasn't been things like cooking done, trash cans in the kitchen, dogs living in the model home, etc. Ultimately, the new house smell is temporary.

There are many things one can do to provide temporary good smells, if you love coffee smell it's brewing coffee, if it's fresh baked goods you cook those up, if it's a scented candle, etc. Realtors do these things all the time.
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

Carpets and curtains hold smells. I don't have either.
Freetime76

Post by Freetime76 »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:35 am Smells that linger and linger. . . .
(A short list)

Axe Cologne
OMG - Axe products are Awful. Body wash included, and now other brands like Dove are following suit for men’s soap. Yuck. Do any women actually swoon over this ? Lol. Maybe they pass out - :oops: What happened to Old Spice? (I’m not that old, but it was tasteful).

If you’re living in the house, fresh air is The Best. You’ll come home and it will smell like...nothing. :D Second choice is washing the floors with Meyers lavender clean day. Heavenly! In the fall, simmer cloves on the stove in a small pot.

The problem is: Anything artificial and you won’t notice the scent after a few days (example: my FIL has Glade plugins and an automatic scent spritzer .... it is overpowering, but he can’t smell it. And you can still smell mildew and cat from the basement carpet (he doesn’t have any pets, so it is ye olde cat pee).

FYI, those model homes, apartment community offices and other commercial areas that smell blissful when you walk in often use a super-powerful potpourri mix in a display on a coffee table or credenza. Look for a fancy plate with multiple orbs (balls, for the rest of us) as decoration, or maybe dried/artificial flowers or sticks. Scented oil an be added if the smell starts to wane.
rixer

Post by rixer »

kevinf wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:23 pm
rixer wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:36 pm

Given the description, I don't need to guess... Musty means mold and dust, period. You can be in a dry climate with rot in your walls. It's about the difference in vapor level anyway. Dry outside? Your house is wet inside; bath steam, cooking steam, laundry, dishwashers, sinks, humans offgassing, etc. The vapor travels through the wall to reach the lower vapor pressure outside and collects on colder, condensing surfaces and becomes mold and rot. A dehumidifier will reduce or eliminate this effect. Sounds like the house needs circulation too (no forced air?), some air purifiers and ceiling fans could go a long way to creating a fresh environment without opening windows.

https://www.google.com/search?q=define+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
Without knowing my house and dry climate, you're still wild guessing and assuming your defination of musty is the same as mine. I didn't know what else to call it. There is no water damage or a humidity problem here. I have plenty of air circulation with ceiling fans in most rooms, we use a whole house fan when needed and live in an area of low humidity. It's an odor I can't determine what it is. Now then, let me just say that this odor isn't strong at all and I only smelled it after coming back home to a shut house. The plug ins have stopped that and the issue is solved as far as I'm concerned. :sharebeer