how do you make your home smell good?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mrtimo

how do you make your home smell good?

Post by mrtimo »

My wife went to the local "parade of homes" thing and noticed how these new homes smell great. I imagine they use some expensive oils and diffusers.
How do you make your home smell good for cheap?
I wonder if there is some product I could put next to my HVAC air filter?

This could be useful when it comes time to sell the home, and also just general living.
mptfan

Re: how do you make your home smell good?

Post by mptfan »

Bake some bread or brownies.
cnblure

Post by cnblure »

I don't know about good, but I have an ozone generator that eliminates all odors. It's been essential to me as my apartment doesn't have an effective hood over the stove and the window is pretty far from the kitchen.
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

If selling, some people are very put off by artificial fragrances and heavy scents. Use in moderation if at all. Buyers may suspect that you are trying to cover up another odor such as mold.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Keep windows open as much as possible.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
egrets

Post by egrets »

I've read about realtors putting apple things to simmer on a back burner, etc.

Be a bit careful. Some people like me are sensitive to smells, nauseated by strong smells, and will turn around and walk right out the door if you're using an "air freshener" or somesuch.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I like lots of fresh air flow.
I have an aversion to strong floral fragrances/potpourri (gives me a headache), food smells like fresh braked cookies/vanilla are nice but tend to leave me hungry and annoyed... If I buy air freshener, I like smells I associate with clean like "clean linen" or fabric softener / dryer sheet smell from laundry. Sometimes I'll tuck a dryer sheet into other places to kind of keep that light scent around.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Brown sugar and cinnamon on a baking pan in the oven. That is what Cinnabon does.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

cnblure wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:43 pm I don't know about good, but I have an ozone generator that eliminates all odors. It's been essential to me as my apartment doesn't have an effective hood over the stove and the window is pretty far from the kitchen.
That is both toxic in destructive for organic materials.

Post by 123 »

Open 1 or more cans of beer and line them up.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
azanon

Post by azanon »

Is Febreze still the go-to item in this area, and addresses a lot of the problems mentioned? I thought the trick with that product was it eliminated (or masked) bad odors more-so than it made some sort of artificial fragrance. So maybe either spray or plug-in Febreze with a mild scent (if any).
Last edited by azanon on Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

Starfish wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:02 pm
cnblure wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:43 pm I don't know about good, but I have an ozone generator that eliminates all odors. It's been essential to me as my apartment doesn't have an effective hood over the stove and the window is pretty far from the kitchen.
That is both toxic in destructive for organic materials.
Not only that, but it doesn't remove smells or pollutants

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality- ... -effective
BH contest results: 2019: #233 of 645 | 18: #150 of 493 | 17: #516 of 647 | 16: #121 of 610 | 15: #18 of 552 | 14: #225 of 503 | 13: #383 of 433 | 12: #366 of 410 | 11: #113 of 369 | 10: #53 of 282
rich126

Post by rich126 »

shunkman wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:44 pm If selling, some people are very put off by artificial fragrances and heavy scents. Use in moderation if at all. Buyers may suspect that you are trying to cover up another odor such as mold.
LOL. Many years ago when I was young and had a townhouse to sell I had some stuff you sprinkled on the carpet as you vacuumed. My agent came in and basically said "WTH is that smell?".

And usually I avoid most fragrances. I always said the only food place I could ever work would be a bakery since the bread smell and cinnamon I can handle even if I am sick.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

runner3081 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:01 pm Brown sugar and cinnamon on a baking pan in the oven. That is what Cinnabon does.
That wouldn't cause any sort of burning smell?

You can buy bags of tiny frozen cinnamon buns, and just pop one of them in the over a while before whatever.

Or bake some choc chip cookies and leave a plate out ?
(No, I would not eat from a plate offered like that, but it would still be a positive.)

When we had vacation rental cabins, we had our local managers/housecleaners keep some of the rolls of choc chip cookie dough on hand. And the last thing before new guests were expected, they'd slice up (the number we requested) and put them in the oven while final prep was being done.
And then they'd leave them on a platter for the guests' arrival.
If the guests arrived at the regular check-in time (some would be quite late, however they pleased), then the cookies would still be warm.

(We had other little surprises for them, but this one always got rave reviews.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:45 pm Keep windows open as much as possible.
This.
Fresh air - accept no substitute!

It would weird me out to be parading through new homes during a pandemic, also. That is where you'd want all the windows and doors open for ventilation and hopefully the air would not be stagnant enough to notice any odors.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:24 pm
runner3081 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:01 pm Brown sugar and cinnamon on a baking pan in the oven. That is what Cinnabon does.
No, you can bake it a couple of hours on lower temps with no issues.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

runner3081 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:05 pm
What temp do you suggest?
This really couldn't be easier :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Vanilla candles
Cookies in the oven
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:32 pm
runner3081 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:05 pm
What temp do you suggest?
This really couldn't be easier :happy

RM
200 or so...

Bake a small amount of cinnamon, brown sugar, and butter on a cookie sheet for several hours
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I prohibit anyone who has eaten beans recently to be inside. That ensures it stays fresh smelling at all times.
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

There are no-scent absorbent air fresheners which work very well.
Arm & Hammer and Odor Genie are two brands which come to mind.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I cook delicious food, and the smell of onion, garlic, celery, bell peppers, rosemary, thyme, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, etc make my home smell wonderful.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:14 pm I cook delicious food, and the smell of onion, garlic, celery, bell peppers, rosemary, thyme, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, etc make my home smell wonderful.
Food is the best smell. A picnic roast cooked for 8 hours at 250 prior to crackling it gives the house a delectable "porky" smell.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

wood stove..
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

I have a small glass bottle with a sprayer. I fill it most of the way with witch hazel then add a few drops of jasmine essential oil. After vacuuming, I use my concoction as a room spray.
blueblock

Post by blueblock »

I like minimal, quality diffuser scenting in the house, with a few qualifications.

It must be a quality oil essence, not a harsh chemical as churned out by those ghastly plug-in makers. My current favorite is the Frasier Fir reed diffuser by thymes.com. This time of year, I also like Nest's Holiday fragrance.

Scent is not something you want throughout the house, or even throughout a whole room. It's fine to walk in and smell cookies baking, but if you can't get away from it? Ugh. Rather, you want small pockets of barely perceptible scent, here and there. (With diffusers, I start with one reed and work up from there.) If you're not sure, a bathroom is a good place to start.

You'll only find the best values by trial and error. Some evaporate quickly, others last and last.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Piñon in the fireplace!
squirm

Post by squirm »

egrets wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:45 pm I've read about realtors putting apple things to simmer on a back burner, etc.

Be a bit careful. Some people like me are sensitive to smells, nauseated by strong smells, and will turn around and walk right out the door if you're using an "air freshener" or somesuch.
When my wife and I were looking at some homes a while ago, the agent was baking cookies. She asked if we wanted any, I figured why not. Didn't persuade me at all though.
telemark

Post by telemark »

surfstar wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:29 pm
Brianmcg321 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:45 pm Keep windows open as much as possible.
This.
Fresh air - accept no substitute!
And if you can arrange to have a few pine trees near the windows, so much the better.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

"how do you make your home smell good?"

We clean our house regularly. Smells great.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Don’t smoke, don’t have smelly pets or teenage boys, fix water leaks right away, and keep the house clean, dishes washed, and laundry done.

If someone is baking bread or cinnamon rolls or something when I’m touring their house, I assume there’s some other smell they’re trying to cover up.

People are out touring houses in the middle of a pandemic?
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

My brother-in-law likes putting all those scented stuff in his house. Now, he lost his sense of smell. If the house smells good, it is bad for you. You should not smell anything.

I have multiple HEPA filters at home to get rid of all the scents. I only use unscented products.

KlangFool
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Open the windows.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

Remove any smelly items (old carpets, magazines, anything that absorbs water and doesn't dry well).

Invest in some HEPA forced air purifiers with activated charcoal/carbon pre-filters (these remove odors) and a dehumidifier to keep dampness and dank smells away. Clean thoroughly (vacuum, wipe down walls, mop, clean drain lines and traps) and use Febreeze on anything you can't get rid of that has an odor.

Baking/cooking things, oil diffusers, air fresheners, etc, only covers up odors and do not last.

Keep the windows CLOSED so you don't undo what you've just accomplished and introduce new mold, allergens, insects, humidity, and unwanted smells into your home.

If things are really bad, repainting the walls and subfloor with KILLZ as the primer base layer may be necessary.
Last edited by kevinf on Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

Keep the pets to a minimum, don't smoke, keep the house reasonably clean, open widows when possible, and use Sentsy as an air freshener.
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers
rixer

Post by rixer »

Glade plug ins. Work great.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Like people. . . nothing beats the smell of clean.
No additives needed.
Clean.

Except for chocolate brownies or fresh baked bread out of the oven. .

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

rixer wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:17 am Glade plug ins. Work great.
Please, no.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Open window in one room for air intake. Dual window fan running 24/7 to blow air out of the cats’ bathroom.

It’s my current solution to keep my entire house from smelling like litter box. I don’t know which one it is, but one of these damn cats makes a putrid stench when she does her business. Disgusting animals.
egrets

Post by egrets »

azanon wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:05 pm Is Febreze still the go-to item in this area, and addresses a lot of the problems mentioned? I thought the trick with that product was it eliminated (or masked) bad odors more-so than it made some sort of artificial fragrance. So maybe either spray or plug-in Febreze with a mild scent (if any).
Febreze is horrible smelling. That's one of the things that would have me leaving the house immediately.
egrets

Post by egrets »

AerialWombat wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:39 am Open window in one room for air intake. Dual window fan running 24/7 to blow air out of the cats’ bathroom.

It’s my current solution to keep my entire house from smelling like litter box. I don’t know which one it is, but one of these damn cats makes a putrid stench when she does her business. Disgusting animals.
This is a sign of a possible urinary tract infection and a vet visit is in order.
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons »

DW likes candles
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
kylecon

Post by kylecon »

mrtimo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:39 pm My wife went to the local "parade of homes" thing and noticed how these new homes smell great. I imagine they use some expensive oils and diffusers.
How do you make your home smell good for cheap?
I wonder if there is some product I could put next to my HVAC air filter?

This could be useful when it comes time to sell the home, and also just general living.
Orange peels are great for this purpose, but they are a temporary measure, and also work if you happen to like eating them. Of course, one has to pick them up and dispose of them regularly. Else incense sticks would do just fine. But please don't place them near appliances of any kind, or in the vicinity of smoke alarms. Def not next to the air filter :)
econprof

Post by econprof »

Nothing beats the smell of clean.

But for a nice touch I enjoy the Bath and Body Works 3 wick candles. Their wood and linen scents are always a joy. Their nutmeg/sugary ones are great in fall.

But they won’t mask bad smells— only add a nice layer on top of a clean house.
Kelrex

Post by Kelrex »

Diligent cleaning and running a HEPA filter
racy

Post by racy »

I'd rather remove odor than add odors/fresheners. I notice that Filtrete makes an air filter with "an active carbon layer" for odor reduction. https://tinyurl.com/yygwrfb2
I have not tried them so I can't vouch for effectiveness.
telemark

Post by telemark »

azanon wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:05 pm Is Febreze still the go-to item in this area, and addresses a lot of the problems mentioned? I thought the trick with that product was it eliminated (or masked) bad odors more-so than it made some sort of artificial fragrance. So maybe either spray or plug-in Febreze with a mild scent (if any).
I'm not a chemist, but my lay understanding is that the active ingredient in Febreze binds to certain types of odor molecules and renders them inert. This is in contrast to Nonscents, which breaks down the molecules using some sort of oxidation. In my experience as a person with a sensitive nose, they are both effective.

The story is that the initial marketing of Febreze was a flop because customers didn't want to acknowledge that they had odor problems. They had to add the artificial fragrance before it would sell.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Smells that linger and linger. . . .
(A short list)

Axe Cologne
Body Spray Scents (used to be target marketed to the younger crowd)
Scented Dryer Sheets
Scented Laundry Detergent
Plug in scent oils and vapor scents
Car Wash scent mirror hangers
Purple scent bottles in cars

etc.

Over the years, effective advertising has worked to redefine the smell of "clean".

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

KlangFool wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:00 pm OP,

My brother-in-law likes putting all those scented stuff in his house. Now, he lost his sense of smell. If the house smells good, it is bad for you. You should not smell anything.

I have multiple HEPA filters at home to get rid of all the scents. I only use unscented products.

KlangFool

This and the open windows mentioned earlier.

The BIL comment is interesting. I grew up in an unscented home and run an unscented home now. I have an acute sense of smell, but never thought there might be a connection.
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

The “New House Smell” is hard to achieve in an older home without doing major renovations, but keeping rugs, carpets, upholstered furniture, and HVAC systems clean makes a difference. As does a regular fresh coat of paint. Not a fan of scents.