Do you have any hobbies for a long winter? I bought a Sony A7 III mirrorless camera.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Lynette

Do you have any hobbies for a long winter? I bought a Sony A7 III mirrorless camera.

Post by Lynette »

Do you have any hobbies for the winter? My doctor said my health was good and he did not think I was one of "most vulnerable" despite my age but why take unnecessary risks? He did not think life would return to normal for a year.

I needed a hobby for the winter, so I decided to upgrade my camera and Photoshop skills. I also wanted a full frame camera to upgrade from my Nikon D7500. I really like Nikon but I read a lot about the decline in profitability of Nikon and the growth of the mirrorless market. Obviously smartphones are eating into all manufacturers compact and DSLR cameras. I did not want to buy another Nikon camera and it seems that Sony got into the mirrorless market first so they may do better than Cannon in this market. After a lot of research I bought the following for about $5,000: (I know, I know but it is cheaper than a few international vacations).

Sony a7 III Full-frame Mirrorless bought a package that also included a FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 Lens Kit
Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Full Frame Wide-angle Prime Lens
Sony 90mm f/2.8-22 Macro G OSS Standard-Prime Lens
Tamron 28-200 F/2.8-5.6 - Travel lens.

Incidentally the Nikon D7500 and Nikon 18-300 travel lens weigh about the same as the Sony A7 III and Tamron 28-200.

Do you think I made good decisions? Any other photographic advice or suggestions for hobbies for a long snowy winter, and possibly even Spring and Summer. I garden when the weather is good and volunteer in an University farm/Master Gardener farm that produces vegetables for a food bank. They are asking members to submit photographs.
jebmke

Re: Do you have any hobbies for a long winter? I bought a Sony A7 III mirrorless camera.

Post by jebmke »

Birder here. About at the end of migration of warblers and shore birds in this area. Ducks will start arriving to winter over in the coming weeks. We go out in almost any weather except driving rain/snow.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
DSInvestor

Re: Do you have any hobbies for a long winter? I bought a Sony A7 III mirrorless camera.

Post by DSInvestor »

I love to get out in the snow and snowshoe with my dog. In my area, we'll have snow in the mountains from NOV to July. Spring time snowshoeing is spectacularly beautiful and not as cold.
Wiki
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

DSInvestor wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:29 pm I love to get out in the snow and snowshoe with my dog. In my area, we'll have snow in the mountains from NOV to July. Spring time snowshoeing is spectacularly beautiful and not as cold.
Same. As soon as the snow starts sticking, we break out the crampons and snowshoes.
Hikes_With_Dogs

Post by Hikes_With_Dogs »

I bought snowshoes for the whole family. With skiing a big ???? in my book, this will allow us to get outside and burn off the crazy.

I bought them early this year because I fear all snow equipment will sell out this winter, similar to bikes and SUPs, etc. this summer.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

Nice kit! :sharebeer
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

Same hobbies I have the rest of the year. Cycling, hiking, swimming, walking the beach, volunteer at animal rescue, and other local service organizations.
But, we live in Hawaii, so may not apply in your situation.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Lynette wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:22 pm After a lot of research I bought the following for about $5,000: (I know, I know but it is cheaper than a few international vacations).
Enjoy the new gear! You may also enjoy an online class where you have assignments to take weekly photos. My spouse took one and it got her shooting more than she normally would and she learned a fair amount from it.

marcopolo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:11 pm Same hobbies I have the rest of the year. Cycling, hiking, swimming, walking the beach, volunteer at animal rescue, and other local service organizations.
Show off :D
Topic Author
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

ThankYouJack wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:48 pm
Lynette wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:22 pm After a lot of research I bought the following for about $5,000: (I know, I know but it is cheaper than a few international vacations).
Enjoy the new gear! You may also enjoy an online class where you have assignments to take weekly photos. My spouse took one and it got her shooting more than she normally would and she learned a fair amount from it.

marcopolo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:11 pm Same hobbies I have the rest of the year. Cycling, hiking, swimming, walking the beach, volunteer at animal rescue, and other local service organizations.
Show off :D
What class did your wife take? I have been on several Roadscholar courses (on hold now) and also took a photoshop class at a community college. The problem with the class at the community college was that we had to submit photos of portraits at times. I do not have friends who want to be photographed so I got tired of taking portraits of myself!
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Winter is when I usually get to all the farm cleanup chores and working on my native plant project. It's a lot of fun stuff like building/fixing fences and brush and wood cutting, pruning trees and maybe finishing a few of the multitude of unfinished projects from years before. I have enough unfinished projects to last the rest of my life. It would probably be cheaper to go on a long vacation.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Pre ordered an xbox series x. Havent had one since the 360. Also have a kid coming in the next couple weeks. This winter will be busy.
life in slices

Post by life in slices »

We build a hockey rink in the backyard (Mass) late November and skate most days/nights until early March - year 13 for the rink this winter and probably the last :( as all kids will be out of the house
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I looked at the Sony options last year but decided to stick with Nikon myself. I went with the Nikon Z6 and have been ecstatic with it. I bought a couple of native lenses but the great thing is - all my old Nikon F-Mount lenses work as well with the Nikon mount adapter.
Nikon won't be getting out of the camera business anytime in our lifetime and they have been releasing excellent lenses for the new mirrorless bodies (4 bodies out now; 2 more just announced for release next month). I know there are some sites where Sony heavily sponsers that really push Sony and seem to be putting FUD out on Nikon due to lower profitability - but in my view - who is more likely to dismiss the camera market (if ever); the large conglomerate electronics manufacturer who jumps to the most profitable business areas (Didn't Sony used to be known for TVs :) ) - or the company known for quality optics for over 100 years.
Nothing wrong with the Sony A7 - great camera - I just hope you bought it for its capabilities and Image Quality - and not because of some FUD you read about Nikon going out of business.
Last edited by SmileyFace on Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

We go cross country skiing about 5 times a week.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Lynette wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:57 pm
What class did your wife take? I have been on several Roadscholar courses (on hold now) and also took a photoshop class at a community college. The problem with the class at the community college was that we had to submit photos of portraits at times. I do not have friends who want to be photographed so I got tired of taking portraits of myself!
Bryan Peterson School of Photography - bpsop.com It was years ago but she thought the instructor could have provided more constructive criticism however she did enjoy the assignments. His book Understanding Exposure is fantastic for people getting into it - https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Ex ... 981&sr=8-2
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Obsessive gardener here. Also passionate about VA colonial history. Once the garden tapers off in Nov., I'll start painting again. Gonna get a new set of power tools, Milwaukee M18 so might build an obelisk for the garden and a new pergola.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

If there's snow and rental places are operating, I'd like to go rent a sled for a day here and there. Sold our sleds years ago. Like boats, for me, renting makes far more sense.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

Lynette wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:22 pm After a lot of research I bought the following

Sony a7 III Full-frame Mirrorless bought a package that also included a FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 Lens Kit
Would you mind sharing what other camera options you considered? And why you picked the Sony A7 and the specific lenses? I am thinking about buying a mirrorless camera but haven't done the research yet.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Lynette wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:22 pm Do you think I made good decisions?
I think it's hard to make a bad decision with regard to Sony or Nikon cameras, unless you buy one very inappropriate for what you're trying to do, and you certainly haven't done that. My own camera bodies are about a decade old, from the beginning of the 16mp APS-C era, so I don't have any experience with recent bodies, but my experience with lenses suggests that camera manufacturers are having a problem designing and especially manufacturing (with sufficiently tight tolerances, etc.) lenses (especially zooms) that make use of the resolution in sensors now.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

ponyboy wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:04 pm Pre ordered an xbox series x. Havent had one since the 360. Also have a kid coming in the next couple weeks. This winter will be busy.
I think your kid will be a bit young to play Xbox games :mrgreen:
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (how we spend our money and time).

Mod Misenplace
Lynx310650

Post by Lynx310650 »

Your kit looks fine. Since you already purchased I'm not too sure what advice you are seeking on the kit itself (unless you are considering returning some stuff). The only things I would have done different is saved $200 and just bought the A7III body only because the 28-70 is fairly mediocre (esp compared to the lenses you picked up) and you purchased the 28-200 Tamron anyways for general walkaround usage.

My only question for you regarding the lenses are what you intend to shoot with them, because the 24mm 1.4 and the 90mm are fairly specialized lenses.

The 24mm 1.4 is an absolute gem, I loved shooting with it. That being said it's fairly limiting as just a lens you keep on the camera and walk around with, and unless you need a 24mm AND frequently shoot with it, I'd fear it would collect a lot of dust because I'm going to assume you'll do more general shooting with the 28-200. If I get a $1400 prime, I'd want to use it a LOT. Unless you have a very specific need/desire for this type of lens, I'd personally would recommend another Tamron, the 17-28 f/2.8. Would be a lovely travel lens to pair with the 28-200 you already have. For most people, those 2 lenses may be all they need.

You are also missing a prime in the more "normal" range. You could pick something up like a Samyang 45mm 1.8. You replace the 24mm 1.4 with the aforementioned Tamron 17-28 AND this Samyang and you still save some money over just the 24mm 1.4. Or you could just spend a bit more money irregardless of what you decide to do with the 24mm 1.4 and just add another prime that's about 50mm. The Samyang 45mm 1.8 would be my choice, other options I'd consider are the Sony 35mm 1.8 (a bit pricey and I wouldn't get this one if you keep the 24mm), the new Samyang 35mm 1.8, or the lovely "Zony" 55mm 1.8.

I'm guessing you like to do macro photography and that's why you picked up the 90mm. But if you don't, and want to shoot more portraits, I would definitely replace that with the cheaper but still excellent FE 85mm 1.8.

Anyways, I wasn't sure at all what you like to shoot, so just some gear suggestions that's a mix of my personal preference and also just what I'd suggest to someone that wants to shoot everything.
Lynx310650

Post by Lynx310650 »

bogledogle wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:41 pm
Lynette wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:22 pm After a lot of research I bought the following

Would you mind sharing what other camera options you considered? And why you picked the Sony A7 and the specific lenses? I am thinking about buying a mirrorless camera but haven't done the research yet.
Question wasn't directed at me, but I did want to make some suggestions FWIW.

First you have to choose sensor size. I'd forget M43 and focus on APS-C or "Full Frame" (35mm). Then depends on what you want to shoot, how deeply you want to get into video, and what kind of lenses you need. And then budget and size.
Watty

Post by Watty »

It all sounds great but no two people would pick out the exact same gear so there is no reason to try second guess yourself.

Get out and shot photos and stop worrying about your gear.

One tip. You can likely download a PDF of your camera manual. Be sure to download that to your phone or a tablet so you will always have your manual with you if you need to look something up.
Lynette wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:22 pm Any other photographic advice or suggestions for hobbies for a long snowy winter, and possibly even Spring and Summer.
I am in the process of wrapping it up but I have been researching my family tree since there is a lot you can do online now. I was also the person in my generation who ended up with boxes of family albums, slides, and home movies so I have been getting those organized too.

If you are looking to fill some time in isolation this winter you might do that.

Some tips:

1) Ancestry.com is very useful for the material they have and getting leads but you cannot trust the other family trees that you will see there. The vast majority of them are very dubious. They can still be good for getting clues but you really need to verify everything.

2) The Roots Magic software has a free trial version that is very functional and usable enough for most people to use at least for the first few months. The full version is only around $50 so it is not a big deal to upgrade if you decide you want to. I would highly recommend it and you can upload your family tree from Roots Magic to Ancestry if you want to. A big problem with doing your family tree in Ancestry is that you would need to figure out what to do about your ongoing Ancestry subscription fees.

3) My local library has a library subscription to Ancestry that you can use for free on your laptop when you are at the library. Check to see what resources your library has.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:09 pm ... but my experience with lenses suggests that camera manufacturers are having a problem designing and especially manufacturing (with sufficiently tight tolerances, etc.) lenses (especially zooms) that make use of the resolution in sensors now.
Nikon's new mirrorless lens mount ("Z") is much wider (@ 55mm) than the prior F mount and also MUCH closer to the sensor (only 16mm). Mirrorless has the advantage of being able to bring the back of the lens closer to sensor (with Nikon leading the way now with the shortest distance) given space for the mirror isn't required - this provides a lot of advantages in designing new optics to take advantage of the newest sensors. Both the width of Nikon's mount and it being the shortest distance to the sensor provides several optical advantages. Many pro reviewers are stating the new Z mount optics are better than any they have ever experienced as compared to DSLR mounts. Unfortunately Nikon knows this and as such with Nikon's high quality S-Line Z mounts, they are charging nearly twice the price of F-mount equivalents. In general - the migration over to mirrorless is allowing manufacturers to up their game another level on lens design for digital.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

DaftInvestor wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:59 pm
tibbitts wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:09 pm ... but my experience with lenses suggests that camera manufacturers are having a problem designing and especially manufacturing (with sufficiently tight tolerances, etc.) lenses (especially zooms) that make use of the resolution in sensors now.
Nikon's new mirrorless lens mount ("Z") is much wider (@ 55mm) than the prior F mount and also MUCH closer to the sensor (only 16mm). Mirrorless has the advantage of being able to bring the back of the lens closer to sensor (with Nikon leading the way now with the shortest distance) given space for the mirror isn't required - this provides a lot of advantages in designing new optics to take advantage of the newest sensors. Both the width of Nikon's mount and it being the shortest distance to the sensor provides several optical advantages. Many pro reviewers are stating the new Z mount optics are better than any they have ever experienced as compared to DSLR mounts. Unfortunately Nikon knows this and as such with Nikon's high quality S-Line Z mounts, they are charging nearly twice the price of F-mount equivalents. In general - the migration over to mirrorless is allowing manufacturers to up their game another level on lens design for digital.
I don't own a Z but would consider buying one. The glaring omission in the lens lineup that I've seen is a 70-200-ish f4, or even a 70-300 4-5.6. Adapting an FX-mount kills much of the mirrorless advantage. The new 24-200 is interesting, but doesn't seem to keep up with the rest of the newer lenses (and doesn't claim to in fairness - it's not an "S") in performance. Also some of the performance of the newer lenses seems to be the result of postprocessing (even in the raw files) so it's hard to compare them to the FX lenses directly. I do appreciate that with the exception of the medium telephoto zoom, Nikon came out with good-qualify f4 lenses right away, since many of us don't want to pay for or carry f2.8s (or f0.95 primes for that matter.)
Topic Author
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

I love Nikon. However from what I have read they have been slow in getting into the full frame mirrorless cameras. Sony was much quicker than Nikon or Canon. If you are bored for a few days just read the controversies on the Internet as to whether Nikon will survive. Personally I am not convinced that Nikon will have the finances to bring out many more lenses even if they do survive. All manufacturers are losing market share but Nikon is doing the worst. So I decided to switch to Sony.
Topic Author
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Lynx310650 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:27 pm Your kit looks fine. Since you already purchased I'm not too sure what advice you are seeking on the kit itself (unless you are considering returning some stuff). The only things I would have done different is saved $200 and just bought the A7III body only because the 28-70 is fairly mediocre (esp compared to the lenses you picked up) and you purchased the 28-200 Tamron anyways for general walkaround usage.

My only question for you regarding the lenses are what you intend to shoot with them, because the 24mm 1.4 and the 90mm are fairly specialized lenses.

The 24mm 1.4 is an absolute gem, I loved shooting with it. That being said it's fairly limiting as just a lens you keep on the camera and walk around with, and unless you need a 24mm AND frequently shoot with it, I'd fear it would collect a lot of dust because I'm going to assume you'll do more general shooting with the 28-200. If I get a $1400 prime, I'd want to use it a LOT. Unless you have a very specific need/desire for this type of lens, I'd personally would recommend another Tamron, the 17-28 f/2.8. Would be a lovely travel lens to pair with the 28-200 you already have. For most people, those 2 lenses may be all they need.

You are also missing a prime in the more "normal" range. You could pick something up like a Samyang 45mm 1.8. You replace the 24mm 1.4 with the aforementioned Tamron 17-28 AND this Samyang and you still save some money over just the 24mm 1.4. Or you could just spend a bit more money irregardless of what you decide to do with the 24mm 1.4 and just add another prime that's about 50mm. The Samyang 45mm 1.8 would be my choice, other options I'd consider are the Sony 35mm 1.8 (a bit pricey and I wouldn't get this one if you keep the 24mm), the new Samyang 35mm 1.8, or the lovely "Zony" 55mm 1.8.

I'm guessing you like to do macro photography and that's why you picked up the 90mm. But if you don't, and want to shoot more portraits, I would definitely replace that with the cheaper but still excellent FE 85mm 1.8.

Anyways, I wasn't sure at all what you like to shoot, so just some gear suggestions that's a mix of my personal preference and also just what I'd suggest to someone that wants to shoot everything.
Its odd how sellers market their "package". I got the camera and the kit lens as well as batteries, chargers, memory cards and a ton of other stuff I will likely never us for only about $100 more that the price of the stand-alone camera body. I will be taking landscape photographs as well close ups which is why I bought the macro. I took a course in gardening and want to be able to focus really close on insects on our potato plants.
Lynx310650

Post by Lynx310650 »

Lynette wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:37 pm
Lynx310650 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:27 pm Your kit looks fine. Since you already purchased I'm not too sure what advice you are seeking on the kit itself (unless you are considering returning some stuff). The only things I would have done different is saved $200 and just bought the A7III body only because the 28-70 is fairly mediocre (esp compared to the lenses you picked up) and you purchased the 28-200 Tamron anyways for general walkaround usage.

Its odd how sellers market their "package". I got the camera and the kit lens as well as batteries, chargers, memory cards and a ton of other stuff I will likely never us for only about $100 more that the price of the stand-alone camera body. I will be taking landscape photographs as well close ups which is why I bought the macro. I took a course in gardening and want to be able to focus really close on insects on our potato plants.
Got it! Seems like you got it all figured out and it's a great kit. Enjoy!
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Lynette wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:27 pm I love Nikon. However from what I have read they have been slow in getting into the full frame mirrorless cameras. Sony was much quicker than Nikon or Canon. If you are bored for a few days just read the controversies on the Internet as to whether Nikon will survive. Personally I am not convinced that Nikon will have the finances to bring out many more lenses even if they do survive. All manufacturers are losing market share but Nikon is doing the worst. So I decided to switch to Sony.
Nikon just released several new lens - with several more in development due to be released in 2021. Sony has a leg up in number of native lenses for its mirrorless as well as auto features but for me, number one criteria was image quality. And the fact I have backward compatibilty with all my existing Nikon lenses drove the decision home.
Topic Author
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Watty wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:35 pm
It all sounds great but no two people would pick out the exact same gear so there is no reason to try second guess yourself.

Get out and shot photos and stop worrying about your gear.
:D There is a difference between need and want. In the past six months I have been extremely busy in my garden, studying material from my Master Gardener course as well as volunteering at the University farm. I have been taking photographs there. It made me quite depressed when my doctor told me he did not see life returning to normal for a year. So after all of my gardening activity I needed another hobby. I decided to expand my photography knowledge as I can use it for photographs on the farm. I cancelled an expensive overseas trip to see family in South Africa in December. I am using the money from the refunds of my trip for my new camera. In addition this will keep me really busy.
Topic Author
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

DaftInvestor wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:50 pm
Lynette wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:27 pm I love Nikon. However from what I have read they have been slow in getting into the full frame mirrorless cameras. Sony was much quicker than Nikon or Canon. If you are bored for a few days just read the controversies on the Internet as to whether Nikon will survive. Personally I am not convinced that Nikon will have the finances to bring out many more lenses even if they do survive. All manufacturers are losing market share but Nikon is doing the worst. So I decided to switch to Sony.
Nikon just released several new lens - with several more in development due to be released in 2021. Sony has a leg up in number of native lenses for its mirrorless as well as auto features but for me, number one criteria was image quality. And the fact I have backward compatibilty with all my existing Nikon lenses drove the decision home.
I guess I watched too many Youtubers but even some of the Nikon experts I respected in the past are switching to Sony. I do not have any Nikon full frame bodies or lenses so as I would have had to spend money in any event if I wanted to go full frame, I decided to go with Sony.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Lynette wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:37 pm Its odd how sellers market their "package". I got the camera and the kit lens as well as batteries, chargers, memory cards and a ton of other stuff I will likely never us for only about $100 more that the price of the stand-alone camera body. I will be taking landscape photographs as well close ups which is why I bought the macro. I took a course in gardening and want to be able to focus really close on insects on our potato plants.
Sometimes kit lenses are very good, other times less so, but sometimes are a good buy either way due to how they are bundled with bodies. Sometimes you can even sell them for less than the extra you pay for them when you buy a camera. However with other items I would check the quality: for example some 3rd party batteries, filters, and memory cards are poor quality and might not be worth using except maybe in an emergency.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I'll be doing some cooking.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

Lynx310650 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:32 pm
bogledogle wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:41 pm

Question wasn't directed at me, but I did want to make some suggestions FWIW.

First you have to choose sensor size. I'd forget M43 and focus on APS-C or "Full Frame" (35mm). Then depends on what you want to shoot, how deeply you want to get into video, and what kind of lenses you need. And then budget and size.
Thanks!
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

I took up social media to contribute to the financial literacy of younger generations. To date I have 50k followers and over 400+ viewers to my 60min live events

I tried more hedonistic hobbies in the past but they never felt fulfilling
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

flaccidsteele wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:35 am I took up social media to contribute to the financial literacy of younger generations. To date I have 50k followers and over 400+ viewers to my 60min live events

"I tried more hedonistic hobbies in the past but they never felt fulfilling"
Which ones did you try?
Wings2525

Post by Wings2525 »

I thoroughly enjoy ice fishing and plowing snow!
Say Ya to Da UP, eh?
AngelFIRE

Post by AngelFIRE »

I will do my embroidery and have decided to teach myself lace making with bobbins. There are lots of tutorials on Youtube.
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

I hope to get back into photography in the next year or so; there are too many other things on the plate for the moment. I have a couple of questions about being an amateur:

What do you "do" with your pictures? I think it might be fun to offer the best ones for sale somehow. I have no expectation of making more than pocket change, but it would be a blast for somebody to pay me for a shot.

For the Nikon Z people, I have a couple of consumer grade F mount D lenses. From what I can see, the lens will work (using an adaptor) but I will have to focus manually. Is that correct? Will the image stabilization still work?
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I bought a used instrument on Ebay and am using online tutorials to learn. I'm really enjoying it and surprised at the ability of this old dog to learn. (I last played as a kid.)

Taking on photography seems like a great choice. Starting a new hobby is a fantastic idea.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

Lynette wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:22 pm Do you have any hobbies for the winter? My doctor said my health was good and he did not think I was one of "most vulnerable" despite my age but why take unnecessary risks? He did not think life would return to normal for a year.

I needed a hobby for the winter, so I decided to upgrade my camera and Photoshop skills. I also wanted a full frame camera to upgrade from my Nikon D7500. I really like Nikon but I read a lot about the decline in profitability of Nikon and the growth of the mirrorless market. Obviously smartphones are eating into all manufacturers compact and DSLR cameras. I did not want to buy another Nikon camera and it seems that Sony got into the mirrorless market first so they may do better than Cannon in this market. After a lot of research I bought the following for about $5,000: (I know, I know but it is cheaper than a few international vacations).

Incidentally the Nikon D7500 and Nikon 18-300 travel lens weigh about the same as the Sony A7 III and Tamron 28-200.

Do you think I made good decisions? Any other photographic advice or suggestions for hobbies for a long snowy winter, and possibly even Spring and Summer. I garden when the weather is good and volunteer in an University farm/Master Gardener farm that produces vegetables for a food bank. They are asking members to submit photographs.
Great thread!

I would love to know your impressions of the new camera, especially since I shoot the D7500. For me the DX format has significant advantages over full frame. But, I am intrigued with mirrorless technology but not ready to make the plunge.

I would start with what kind of photography gets you excited. For me, it’s people, especially in crowded events like marches and parades. Second is birds and wildlife. I just love the challenge of capturing the decisive moment.

A good friend has even more fun photographing eggs, playing with color, light and shadows. Others love landscapes, or kids, or sports.

WoodSpinner
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

flaccidsteele wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:35 am I took up social media to contribute to the financial literacy of younger generations. To date I have 50k followers and over 400+ viewers to my 60min live events

Feeding your ego isn't "hedonistic"?
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Lynette wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:22 pm Do you have any hobbies for the winter?
I do. I play pickleball, take long walks/hikes, and also do some photography and photoshopping. I enjoy all of them.
Do you think I made good decisions?
These are your decisions to make. For me, I wouldn't have spent that much until I was sure of the longevity/depth of my hobby.
Any other photographic advice
I found it fun and useful to have a "challenge of the week" with my photography and editing, rather than just shooting whatever without a focus.

For example, one week it was "shadows". Another it was "cold". etc, etc.

There are some websites that will come up with the challenge for you.

But the main advice is to enjoy it!
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:47 am

Feeding your ego isn't "hedonistic"?
Maybe

I switched from activities that only benefit myself to ones that also benefit others
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

smitcat wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:36 am

"I tried more hedonistic hobbies in the past but they never felt fulfilling"
Which ones did you try?
In my first attempt at retirement I engaged in activities that only benefited myself such as travel, playing video games, working out, reading, and watching TV/movies

The hedonic treadmill is real for me. Eventually I became so bored/uninspired that I went back to work
Life Is Good

Post by Life Is Good »

Model railroading. Great hobby for winter.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Our basement stays at 65 F all winter. So I grow hosta plants from seeds, under 24 hrs light. Seeds I will harvest soon. then sown the middle of November, with plants ready to bring outside in May 2021. So when it is very cold and snowy outside, then I go into my basement and watch those seeds and then seedlings growing. Usually I did hybridizing in my garden, but this year it was too hot here in upstate NY, it might have not taken anyway. This year only the bees were hybridizing my plants.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I used to windsurf in Venezuela, but my sweetie thinks I will die if I return there (and she may have a good point). So we have been wintering in Florida instead the past few years and last winter we started kiteboarding (for which FL winds are more compatible than windsurfing).
I also play saxophone and that takes up a lot of my energy in the winter. In non-COVID times there are good jam sessions where we go in FL. For now I focus on online classes and ensembles.
Taking up an instrument is a great thing to do in retirement, despite so many thinking that it is a hopeless endeavor if you didn't play when you were younger. Not true. I started circa age 55 (I'm currently 68) and it transformed my life. Partly because it is such a challenge and requires so much commitment, and the results are so palpable. You will never be bored. It also provides a sense of community. If you have any interest in music and always regretted not playing an instrument, I would highly recommend it.

IMHO I think one key to enjoying retirement is to do something that is very enjoyable while at the same time difficult enough and demanding enough of your energy, and that you can never stop learning and deriving pride and satisfaction. Perhaps the same is true of a career. Monotony is the enemy of joy.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

ClevrChico wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:14 am I bought a used instrument on Ebay and am using online tutorials to learn. I'm really enjoying it and surprised at the ability of this old dog to learn. (I last played as a kid.)
I’m doing the same. I was a professional musician back in the day, but my instrument got stolen the last time we moved, and instead of replacing the instrument, I used the insurance money to pay for the move.

I got a hankering last month to play again, but didn’t want to spend the the mid-four figures for a professional quality woodwind instrument, so I got a $25 plastic recorder from Amazon. So far, it’s going well. I should be playing at a professional level by the time we are able to go out and socialize in person once again. Anybody need a jazz recorder player for their wedding?
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.