Vacuum for mostly hardwood floors...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
daheld

Vacuum for mostly hardwood floors...

Post by daheld »

First, yes, I've used the search function. It's been a few years since there's been a topic closely related to what I'm looking for.

We have a 2,100 square foot ranch home. Main level is 100% hardwood, and we have a few area rugs. We have a pretty typical $100 or so vacuum that's intended for carpet. It basically just throws dust and debris from the hardwood around and does not do much to actually suck it up. I am looking for recommendations for a good vacuum for getting dust, debris and dirt from hardwood floors. We'd prefer something that's capable of getting under coffee/side tables easily.

I am NOT interested in a robot vacuum. Let me hear your recommendations!
4nursebee

Re: Vacuum for mostly hardwood floors...

Post by 4nursebee »

Go talk to a Miele dealer, very happy with ours.
Pale Blue Dot
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

My home has wood, laminate, tile, and carpet - not to mention a golden retriever. I am extremely happy with the Shark Navigator.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

abner kravitz wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:52 am My home has wood, laminate, tile, and carpet - not to mention a golden retriever. I am extremely happy with the Shark Navigator.
Shark has this attachment for hardwood floors. It's awesome.
https://www.sharkclean.com/parts/0/all/ ... ttachment/
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

We have a Shark and it has an option to run vacuum only without the roller / beater bar. This is critical for solid surface floors, otherwise you just shoot the dirt around with the roller.

We use it for both carpets and hardwood; just a simple switch to go from one to the other. I believe ours is a Shark Navigator.
Last edited by Kenkat on Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
tmcc

Post by tmcc »

oreck commercial XL. looks old fashioned but it is an amazing vacuum for any flooring.
egrets

Post by egrets »

I had a Eureka mighty mite that I liked a lot, but then I bought a new one for upstairs and it is kind of junk. Some metal parts are now plastic, the off/on lever hits the sides of its slot. I would recommend the original form as easy to use, lightweight, but, alas, not the new one.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

tmcc wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:07 am oreck commercial XL. looks old fashioned but it is an amazing vacuum for any flooring.
I'm happy with my oreck as well. They are very simple vacuums with very little to break. I just replaced the drive belt after 10 years and it was like having a new vacuum. It had been getting hard to push on carpeted floors because the beater bar wasn't pulling the vacuum along as much.

Sometimes it will shoot debris out the back on smooth floors instead of sucking everything up though.
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

I have mostly hardwood and a couple of rugs in the living room dining area. I have a Miele. They are expensive, I got a mid-range one. Suction is outstanding no matter how full the bag is. Bags are disposable, so no need to deal with the crud. It also has a Hepa filter. It uses a simple switch to go from wood to carpet. There are 4 or 5 levels you can choose from, including a 'quiet' setting. Best vacuum I have ever had. Don't see why I'd ever need a another one. :D
anoop

Post by anoop »

Sebo or Miele.

I have a Sebo X4 Automatic that is over 10 years old and still works great.
thewizzer

Post by thewizzer »

Also a Miele fan, but they’re expensive (you didn’t specify a budget). Also, some people don’t like canister vacuums, but they’re absolutely wonderful for getting under things like coffee tables.
inverter

Post by inverter »

Miele or Dyson.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Miele if you are ok with canister and have a budget for something that will last decades. Dyson with a hard floor attachment (although frankly the stock brush on our V6 does just fine with most stuff) if you want something super lightweight and convenient.

Those suggesting an Oreck (which we also own - it lives in the basement) - I wonder if they've ever used a really good vacuum? :confused
lgs88

Post by lgs88 »

I hate vacuuming. I love my Dyson. Get the hard floor attachment.
merely an interested amateur
SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow »

We have a central vac that we use along with a Roomba.

When my daughter graduated college she brought home the Dyson we bought for her apartment and we have been using that ever since.

It works well on both carpet and hardwood. It is lightweight and easy to maneuver. Only downside is the limited battery life but I think the new ones offer an extra battery to double the battery life before recharging.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

I thought you don't use vacs on wood floors because they cause minute scratches that over time dull the shine. Why not just a damp mop?
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

atikovi wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:41 am I thought you don't use vacs on wood floors because they cause minute scratches that over time dull the shine. Why not just a damp mop?
Or a dust mop. Mom made us take our shoes off in the house. The floors didn’t have shellac or a finish other than wax, so no scratching. She would strip and re-wax 2 times a year. Floors remained pristine. No stain either just - natural oxidation..
oktax

Post by oktax »

Dyson V10 with the hardwood attachment. We love ours and find it does a great job on both our hardwoods and carpet. It has a separate brush attachment for carpet. It’s pretty unbelievable how much it picks up even when we think our floors are clean.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

acegolfer wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:56 am
abner kravitz wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:52 am My home has wood, laminate, tile, and carpet - not to mention a golden retriever. I am extremely happy with the Shark Navigator.
Shark has this attachment for hardwood floors. It's awesome.
https://www.sharkclean.com/parts/0/all/ ... ttachment/
+1
Our Shark is now 9 years old. Runs great! All floor types from hardwood to tile to stone to carpet.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Deblog

Post by Deblog »

I have 2 golden retrievers and hickory wood floors, tile and carpet. I LOVE my shark powered liftaway with the attachment with the microfiber pad. It picks up the dust from the hard wood floor and our wood finish still looks brand new. The powered liftaway runs the brush so you can sweep under the bed and furniture. I had a Dustin before and the shark is so much better.
othermike27

Post by othermike27 »

For the last couple years we have used a Bissell Air Ram. Battery lasts 30-40 minutes, easy to empty (but small) cannister, definitely sucks up particles on wood and laminate flooring. Surprised at how well this one worked out. Would not try to chase a Golden Retriever with one though.
kacang

Post by kacang »

We have cats and all hardwood flours. A light soft straw broom for quick daily sweeping, damp mop fortnightly. Dyson vacuum for the rugs used during winters. This has worked well for us.
long_drink

Post by long_drink »

We have a Sebo which we like, but we also have a roborock s5max for automatic vacuuming. The Sebo is not used as much anymore when our house is vacuumed and "mopped" daily with almost no effort on our part.
Bogle7

Miele

Post by Bogle7 »

Buy this
Complete C3 Marin PowerLine - SGJE0
https://www.mieleusa.com/e/canister-vac ... 10014700-p

We own one.
Sucks well.
Has HEPA filter.
Quiet.
A militant atheist.
EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

I'm joining the fans of Miele canister vacuum clean owners. Disposable bags really keep in the dust and dirt along with the filter. Various models and prices depending upon the tools you want. Evacuumstore frequently has sales. Good quality.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Kenkat wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:02 am We have a Shark and it has an option to run vacuum only without the roller / beater bar. This is critical for solid surface floors, otherwise you just shoot the dirt around with the roller.

We use it for both carpets and hardwood; just a simple switch to go from one to the other. I believe ours is a Shark Navigator.
+1 I have the pet version of the Navigator. The hardwood/carpet switch is nice.
mkc

Post by mkc »

Miele canister if you don't mind a canister. Best vacuum we have had, but the power wand had been damaged by dropping one too many times and ours was over 25 years old and we couldn't find a replacement power wand.

Since we now have carpeted stairs to vacuum (and we are 25 years older :wink: ) we got a Dyson V10 with the hard floor tool. Much easier to deal with for the multi-levels of the home.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Our entire first floor is hardwood now too and we just use a microfiber mop with washable covers that we toss in the weekly laundry. They do an excellent job at capturing dust, take the same time as a vacuum cleaner and has no moving parts or motors to wear out, break, clog, etc. If we get a spot on the floor that isn't dust, we squirt it with some Bona hardwood cleaner and run over it with the same microfiber mop.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KJ4V94B?

https://www.amazon.com/Bona%C2%AE-Hardw ... B000ARPVIY
2babogle

Post by 2babogle »

Shark ion p50.
Love it.
Also have a Dyson but rarely use it
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

We probably have about 2000+ Sq feet. We have a dyson. I'd get the lowest / cheapest model that has the "fluffy" floor a attachment. Use that for spot pickup and visible debris.

Then follow up with 2 eufy 11s robot vacs to get near 100% coverage. They are cheap, quiet and fairly basic.
MostlyABogleHead

Post by MostlyABogleHead »

lgs88 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:37 am I hate vacuuming. I love my Dyson. Get the hard floor attachment.
+1 for Dyson. Their chord-less vacuum cleaner is easy to use and works very well on hardwood floors. A bit pricey but the ease of use, lack of chords that can come in the way and performance makes it worth the cost.
boogiehead

Post by boogiehead »

If you have a costco membership I would suggest the following below as I've been very happy with this lg vacuum that I bought 6 months ago for my hardwood floor and area rug (it comes with 2 different) for my condo. This is basically the same design as the Dyson, but I ended up buying this one because its a bit cheaper than the Dyson and comes with everything: 2 nozzles one for carpet one for hardwood floors, extra battery, a standalone stand, and it has a on/off button as my understanding is that all the Dyson one's you have to continuously hit trigger button in order to vacuum. The one con about this unit is that the dust bin is not that big so you have to empty it quite often and its kind of pain to do, other than that this unit has been great.

https://www.costco.com/lg-cordzero-char ... 32890.html
confusedinaz

Post by confusedinaz »

MostlyABogleHead wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:34 pm
lgs88 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:37 am I hate vacuuming. I love my Dyson. Get the hard floor attachment.
+1 for Dyson. Their chord-less vacuum cleaner is easy to use and works very well on hardwood floors. A bit pricey but the ease of use, lack of chords that can come in the way and performance makes it worth the cost.
Another vote for Dyson.

The price is a bit much, but we recently bought a Dyson V11 Torque Drive and it's amazing. Even stopped using our robot vacuum because it's so convenient. Our model only comes with one head, but it works well on our tile floors and carpet. Picks up large debris and pet hair with ease. Plus, a cordless with real power is a total game changer!
DIYtrixie

Post by DIYtrixie »

+1 for Shark!
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

4nursebee wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:52 am Go talk to a Miele dealer, very happy with ours.
+1 Recommended by Consumer Reports. Not cheap, but well made (in Germany).
catlady

Post by catlady »

Another Miele recommendation. They make uprights if you don’t want a canister.
mkc

Post by mkc »

Invest4lt wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:19 pm
4nursebee wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:52 am Go talk to a Miele dealer, very happy with ours.
At one point, Miele did produce some mid-to-lower cost models under contract outside of Germany. That was about 15 years ago and I'm not sure if it's still the case.
Beach88

Post by Beach88 »

Shark rocket pro(cordless).
One charge vacuums our entire 2300 sq ft of hardwood.
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

mkc wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:59 pm
Invest4lt wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:19 pm
At one point, Miele did produce some mid-to-lower cost models under contract outside of Germany. That was about 15 years ago and I'm not sure if it's still the case.
Yes, I think you are correct about some models being made outside Germany (China). I inspect the box to be sure It is made (not just assembled) in Germany.

https://homevacuumzone.com/where-are-mi ... uums-made/
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Maybe I am paranoid, but when I was looking for vacuums almost all (including Dyson) had hard plastic wheels rather than rubber wheels. Maybe the hard plastic won't easily scratch hardwood floors, but to me rubber wheels are much better/safer. I found a Shark Navigator that had rubber on the wheels.
Topic Author
daheld

Post by daheld »

Thanks all for your helpful suggestions! We have a lot of options to review. We're thinking we'll keep an eye out for Black Friday sales and maybe get a deal on one of the suggested vacuums.

Thanks again!
mgensler

Post by mgensler »

If you don't want to lug around a canister vac with a short cord like a Miele, look at the backpack vacs. This is what the pro's use. They really don't weigh all that much and make work so much quicker and easier. We have the Pro Team Super Coach vac. Everything costs much less than a Miele for the same or better quality. The only issue we've had is vacuuming out the cars with it isn't as easy. When you are wearing it in a car it tends to bump into things.
jimmyrules712

Post by jimmyrules712 »

So I was similarly looking to buy a good quality vacuum while back for a mostly hardware/tile house. Ended up getting a decent Riccar from a vacuum store.

But since then we also bought one of the robot vacuum's (specific a Roborock S5 from Amazon refurbished for $320) and honestly if we run that thing once a week we barely have needed to use our regular vaccum except to do touch ups every now and then or vacuum other rooms that the robot can't reach. I was skeptical it would work well but it 100% exceeded my expectations. Nothing beats sitting in my recliner with my legs up and watching TV
while the entire floor of the house is being vacuumed on it's own.

In hindsight I would just go that route and get a cheapo vacuum for when something needs to be manually cleaned.
Topic Author
daheld

Post by daheld »

jimmyrules712 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:00 pm So I was similarly looking to buy a good quality vacuum while back for a mostly hardware/tile house. Ended up getting a decent Riccar from a vacuum store.

But since then we also bought one of the robot vacuum's (specific a Roborock S5 from Amazon refurbished for $320) and honestly if we run that thing once a week we barely have needed to use our regular vaccum except to do touch ups every now and then or vacuum other rooms that the robot can't reach. I was skeptical it would work well but it 100% exceeded my expectations. Nothing beats sitting in my recliner with my legs up and watching TV

In hindsight I would just go that route and get a cheapo vacuum for when something needs to be manually cleaned.
How large is the floor of your home that the robot vacuum cleans? Does it get hung up on corners or area rugs or toys your toddler has strewn about the house?

I also like the idea of not cleaning my floors but still having clean floors, but I cannot get myself over the mental hurdle of paying that kind of money for a tiny hunk of plastic that might just spin in circles all day and do nothing, or get caught on the corner of a rug and not do anything.
bluelight

Post by bluelight »

My house is all hardwood or tile with a couple of small area rugs. I purchased a Shark DuoClean Cordless vacuum with 2 batteries a couple of years ago. It is life changing. Unlike the Dyson, you don't need to change heads to clean carpeting, just change the vacuum setting to carpet. It came with multiple cleaning tools that are easy to change. I have arthritis in my hands and found that they would hurt after using my daughter's Dyson stick. With the Shark, you are not holding the dust catcher on your hands. Superior design. To add, it flexes in the middle to clean under low furniture easily.

https://www.amazon.com/Shark-DuoClean-C ... B074F2YGBC
jimmyrules712

Post by jimmyrules712 »

daheld wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:09 pm
jimmyrules712 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:00 pm So I was similarly looking to buy a good quality vacuum while back for a mostly hardware/tile house. Ended up getting a decent Riccar from a vacuum store.

How large is the floor of your home that the robot vacuum cleans? Does it get hung up on corners or area rugs or toys your toddler has strewn about the house?

I also like the idea of not cleaning my floors but still having clean floors, but I cannot get myself over the mental hurdle of paying that kind of money for a tiny hunk of plastic that might just spin in circles all day and do nothing, or get caught on the corner of a rug and not do anything.
Our downstairs floor of the house has a living room, kitchen, dining room, and entry way all open to each other so that's where I use it primarily. I'm guessing those rooms combined are about 1,500 total sq ft? The robot battery will last long enough to cover that whole area but due to how dirty our floors gets from our dogs the dust bin is usually full after half of it so normally I tell it to clean half of the space, then empty the dust bin, then tell it to clean the other half. It has a free ios/android app you can use to control it and map out the room and tell it where to clean.

We have several rugs it goes over and works fine. It will go around obstacles but you do need to pick up clutter off the floors in order for it to clean very effectively. Usually I'll take 5 minutes to pick up the clutter off the floor and then run it.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

daheld wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:09 pm

For years I felt the same about robot vacs. Even started a thread in here years back. Ended up settling on a Eufy 11s. It usually runs around $200, but occasionally you can find it on sales. There may be newer better models but I stick with this one. Reasons are: it is significantly quieter than most, it is cheaper than most, and it is relatively low profile. It doesn't do anything fancy, it just goes and bumps around, although they are programmed to hug the sides and get around things. It has a remote but I've never used it.

We have about 2500 Sq feet almost all hardwood. We had a large area rug and it did fine on that, although rugs will cause the small vacuum compartment to fill up faster. When I had one, and we had a lab (and dark floors) if I ran it every day it would keep up with it. It will hit most places in one run. I ended up buying a second on sales, and I'll run them every few days.

They do occasionally hang up, but it tends to be the same spots, so typically you'll change the offending environment and it isn't a problem any more. For instance, it tended to get hung up.and wanted to "dry hump" the base of an electric fan. I put some round sticky things on the fan and thst solved it.

I ended up buying a second when on sale. Together they'll get everything. I have a dyson stick but would hate to have to vacuum the whole house with it. Dyson sticks only work going forward, so it takes longer. I find the stick great for quick cleanup but let the eufys do everything else.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Dyson V8 works well for us.
Carson

Post by Carson »

I have 1100 SF so my house is pretty small and I've been consistently happy with a Stick Vac. I buy a corded model as I can do 2 rooms on one plug-in) and it's always been under $30. They perform well for a couple of years and then I replace it. It's kind of a bummer to look at it as a disposable item, but I really like that all it does is suck (no rotating brush) is very lightweight (little kids can use it) and does no damage to my hardwood floors. We have 2 active kids and are a shoes-off house, but a remarkable amount of detrius still builds. We used to have 2 pets and the stick vac was great for cat hair and litter also.

https://www.bissell.com/featherweight-l ... lsrc=aw.ds
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.