Home Inventory App

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
diydocwifejd

Home Inventory App

Post by diydocwifejd »

Does anyone have a good home inventory app to recommend? Paid or otherwise? My goal of 2020 is to finalize a home inventory list. My ideal app would be able to have a barcode scanner, easily input information and attach multiple photos, warranty information, receipts, etc. and would be able to export to PDF or excel if needed. Thanks!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Home Inventory App

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (home inventory).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
pondering

Post by pondering »

Are you trying to track everything or just the insurable items?
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing
Topic Author
diydocwifejd

Post by diydocwifejd »

The purpose is for insurable items (trying to get my ducks in a row in case of theft, house fire, flooding, etc.) -- which would generally be everything except perishables, sentimental items, and cleaning supplies.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, or Libre Office calc are all good options for manual entry. You can link to photo locations on your hard drive, or perhaps even within Google drive (I haven't tried the latter). I can't help you with barcode scanning, though.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

Just went through this with Hurricane Laura. Used the Excel spreadsheet supplied by the insurer (Allstate). Here's some posts on our process...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=325097&p=5495240#p5495240

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=325876&p=5504607#p5504607

Spreadsheet headings were:
Item #, Room, Brand or Mfgr, Model #, Item Description, Original Vendor, Quantity Lost, Item Age (Years), Item Age (Months), Condition, Cost to Replace (Pre-tax), Total Cost

For the policy in question contents were depreciated unless a receipt was available. Took pictures of everything, tied to the spreadsheet item number (almost 1000 photos). Received max payout for contents ($113,000).
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
telemark

Post by telemark »

I like this one, although it's more intended for keeping track of where things are.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... y&hl=en_us

You arrange everything in a hierarchy of your own devising. Typically this reflects physical location, but it doesn't need to.