Talk me into buying a Tesla Model Y

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Normchad

Re: Talk me into buying a Tesla Model Y

Post by Normchad »

tm3 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:01 pm Talk you into it? OK, I'll give it my best shot.

You will save so much money not buying petroleum products and never having to do any routine maintenance at all that you will quickly recoup the entire purchase price and so it will be like getting a cool car with built in video games and flatus sounds for free!

How'd I do?
You did a great job selling it! A lot of it isn’t true, but that’s sales......
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Normchad wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:03 pm
You did a great job selling it! A lot of it isn’t true, but that’s sales......
Thanks! He didn't ask for opinions, he asked for my sales pitch!
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

tm3 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:01 pm Talk you into it? OK, I'll give it my best shot.

You will save so much money not buying petroleum products and never having to do any routine maintenance at all that you will quickly recoup the entire purchase price and so it will be like getting a cool car with built in video games and flatus sounds for free!

How'd I do?
No mention of all the hot babes who love guys that drive Teslas?

I give you a D in Marketing 101.

:wink:
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

No car can beat Tesla in terms of tech. They are years ahead and acknowledged by other major 'traditional' car manufacturers like VW and Toyota. If you browse through Tesla Model Y facebook groups or forums, you will see that there are many who are trading up to the Y from a 3 or even X. When we did our test drive, we did find the 20" induction wheels to be stiff when you are passengers in the back seat. The front seats are extremely comfortable regardless and didn't feel bump or stiffness described by many. So if you won't have passengers in the rear much, you won't have any issues.

You should take the time to test drive it. When you do, try to take someone with you who is experienced with Tesla. Do not drive it like a regular car or you will feel nauseous. The acceleration and firm brakes will rock you more than what you are accustomed to. Many drive with just the gas pedal using regenerative braking that puts power back in the battery. Think bumper cars or golf carts.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Lots of cars have much much more tech. Especially German sedans.

Example:
Matrix (beam-forming) headlights; laser headlights
Night vision
Tire temp sensor
3D render from camera (for park assist)
Predictive suspension adjustment

etc
etc

Tesla brakes are also not firm, if you're used to performance vehicles. I have a Model 3 performance , and it is far from firm or feelsome
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

retire14 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:56 am My 2006 BMW is on its last leg. Our other car is a 2020 BMW, so we are thinking about Model Y as a second car. To be honest, we now have the means in retirement that we would like to experience a different kind of technology. We are not car enthusiasts, but are technology inclined.
Please advise: 1. Should we go ahead and 2. If yes, any advice ? TIA
Best advice - think of any of your friends or even colleagues whose lifestyle and values aren't too far off from yours, and who actually own a Tesla - ask them what their experience is and if they'd buy it over a petrol car again.

If they nix it, you. have your answer, no.

In my tech-friendly area, it's near 100% "my Model 3,X, whatever is amazing, better than I thought and I'll never buy a gas car again", and this is for multi year owners. I would have thought they'd get tired of the 'new tech' or 'coolness' but if anything, they're even more diehard about their Tesla. I'll also add that you have to seriously consider their biases - I know these tech guys love tech so they're going to love techycars like the Tesla, but a fair share of them don't even like cars at all and would rather have none at all. I also know for a fact that a lot of Tesla-haters are deeply wedded to oil companies, particularly in their town's industry and employment, so that dominates all reasonable discussion of pros/cons of Tesla and electrics.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

For the ride stiffness issue, I prefer a larger sidewall on tires, e.g., 19” rather than 20”. Benefits include a nicer ride, less susceptible to potholes, and generally less expensive. A cost or benefit depending on personal preference is that it looks more “SUV-ish” rather than “sporty-ish.”
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

lightheir wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:35 amI also know for a fact that a lot of Tesla-haters are deeply wedded to oil companies, particularly in their town's industry and employment, so that dominates all reasonable discussion of pros/cons of Tesla and electrics.
Oh, come on... You don't really know that for a fact... :)
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa »

Buy it so that you can report back to me with your full review to convince me to finally pull the trigger, :happy
anoop

Post by anoop »

hightower wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:32 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:21 pm My take is that the Y is a 3 with a third row of seats squeezed in. Do you need a third row of seats? If yes, go ahead and get a Y. If no, and you want a Tesla, why not just get a 3?
No, they Y is actually a much bigger car and the 3rd row of seats isn't even available yet. The Y has a full hatch back opening, the 3 only has a small trunk opening. With the seats folded down, the Y has a huge amount of cargo space and even with them up, the cargo space in the back is pretty big. Plus, it's a much taller car with a higher seat height. Makes a surprisingly big difference (I've seen one in person and sat in both).
The biggest advantage of the Y over the 3 is that it has a heat pump. This means range would suffer less with the Y in colder climates. It's the only Tesla with a heat pump, and IMO, at this point, it doesn't make sense to buy any other Tesla because you'd be getting old drivetrain technology.
anoop

Post by anoop »

vfinx wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:12 pm After a few miles of driving, I cut the test drive short, and canceled my order (lost the $100).
That's a bummer.
anoop

Post by anoop »

retire14 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:56 am My 2006 BMW is on its last leg. Our other car is a 2020 BMW, so we are thinking about Model Y as a second car. To be honest, we now have the means in retirement that we would like to experience a different kind of technology. We are not car enthusiasts, but are technology inclined.
Does it require any experience with the Model Y? If not, I'd like to pitch in my input to go ahead with it! The only advice is to test drive before you order.
Jonezez

Post by Jonezez »

Yes but would wait about 1 year for build quality kinks to be worked out. That's about how long it took for Model 3 to improve (panel gaps and other road noise issues).

There is also this coming soon AND will be eligible for the $7500 fed tax credit.

https://electrek.co/2020/09/25/vw-id-4 ... -sold-out/

But Tesla has such a headstart in the electric car business that I'd still lean Model Y.

With electrics, the technology improves so rapidly that you can be on a constant wait and see for the next best thing and never pull the trigger.
The next 5-10 years for electrics should be exciting especially as battery tech and cost improves.
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

The electric car market is larger than just Tesla and is continuing to grow fast. Kia, Hyundai, Chevy, and Nissan all have good options. GM for example has 20 new electric models set to go by 2023.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

Normchad wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:19 pmI hope the Mustang-E is excellent… If it goes 300 miles on a charge, and hits 0-60 in 4.X seconds, and it's 40-50K, then it's a very compelling product.
Ford just dropped the MSRP by $1k-$3k for various Mach-E models. Notably the Premium AWD is reduced $3k to $49,700 with standard range AWD targeting 210 miles range and 0-60 in 5.6 seconds for late 2020 delivery.

It's not quite Model Y's $49,990 316mi and 4.8s, but Ford EVs do get the $7500 federal tax credit. So maybe the Mach-E long range $47,200-after-tax-credit 270mi and 5.1s is more comparable. Is the additional ~$3k for Model Y worth the extra range, acceleration, not-dealership buying experience, software updates, Autopilot, etc?
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

harikaried wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:41 pm
It's not quite Model Y's $49,990 316mi and 4.8s, but Ford EVs do get the $7500 federal tax credit. So maybe the Mach-E long range $47,200-after-tax-credit 270mi and 5.1s is more comparable. Is the additional ~$3k for Model Y worth the extra range, acceleration, not-dealership buying experience, software updates, Autopilot, etc?
Depending on where you are and where you expect to be driving, access to the super charger network would be worth something to me.
canderson

Post by canderson »

Jonezez wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:51 pm Yes but would wait about 1 year for build quality kinks to be worked out. That's about how long it took for Model 3 to improve (panel gaps and other road noise issues).

There is also this coming soon AND will be eligible for the $7500 fed tax credit.

But Tesla has such a headstart in the electric car business that I'd still lean Model Y.

With electrics, the technology improves so rapidly that you can be on a constant wait and see for the next best thing and never pull the trigger.
The next 5-10 years for electrics should be exciting especially as battery tech and cost improves.
This car looks super nice but every VW owner I have known has had major electoral issues in gas cars. Can’t fathom how they’ll screw up a car that runs ... on electricity. :)
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

canderson wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:58 pm

This car looks super nice but every VW owner I have known has had major electoral issues in gas cars. Can’t fathom how they’ll screw up a car that runs ... on electricity. :)
I've owned 2 VWs in the past, and neither had a major electoral issue. I put my $100 deposit down on the ID.4 a few days ago.

I had an early deposit on the Model 3, but when Tesla delayed the entry level Model 3 for ~18 months and the $7500 rebate shriveled up and died, I asked for my $1k back. Anyway, an SUV makes more sense for us than a sedan.
Last edited by neilpilot on Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quasar

Post by quasar »

alexander29 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:04 pm I've had a Model Y for three months. No problems at delivery or afterward. Advantages of the Y over the 3 is the height makes it easier to get in and out of, it can haul more with its hatchback, it's quieter, it's build design is better (look for Sandy Munro videos on Youtube), and plastic skirts on the bottom of panels help prevent rock chips. I recommend the Long Range to eliminate range anxiety. It has lots of power, and the two motors give it all wheel drive. The 3 is sportier and slightly cheaper.

I like the Tesla over an ICE car because of zero emissions (I worry about climate change), instant acceleration, a very low center of gravity, the quiet that enhances a good sound system, the comfortable seats, storage options like the "frunk", the glass roof, the software updates, and Tesla's high safety rating. You can "gas up" at home. Because of regenerative braking that puts energy back into he batteries, you usually don't need the brake pedal. You can set the cabin temperature ten minutes before you drive with the app on your phone. It locks and unlocks without the driver having to do anything but walk away and then walk up. The navigation system is very good and very easy. No oil changes, muffler, timing belts, plugs, and so on.

Disadvantage is less unbroken range on long trips - 200 to 300 miles. It's not an off-road vehicle. It doesn't have Apple CarPlay. Its navigation system doesn't work in wilderness away from cell service. Some people contend the paint is not as good. Some think the glass roof overheats in hot climates. Teslas seem to wear tires more quickly. Sales and service need improvement. Some cars have been delivered with quality problems, and spare parts and repairs sometimes take too long. The center screen works well, but there is a learning curve. And so on.

No one should buy one without a test drive. But no one should dismiss Tesla without a test drive. It's a remarkable, revolutionary car.
That is a very accurate summary. People tend to think about the price of a car. Instead, calculate total cost of ownership, assuming a time period that you expect to hold the car. Over 6 years, gas savings, maintenance savings and tax rebate made if more than worthwhile.
Dougiefresh

Post by Dougiefresh »

I would wait a few months. There are a number of new models (SUV's/CUV's) coming out which may be worth looking into. These come to mind:
VW ID 4
Nissan Arriya
Volvo XC -40
Ford Mustang
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

Dougiefresh wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:55 pmI would wait a few months. There are a number of new models (SUV's/CUV's) coming out which may be worth looking into.
It's surprisingly hard to find some basic information about some of these upcoming vehicles…

Tesla Model Y Long Range:
RWD 330? miles $45k? late 2020?
AWD 316 miles $50k now

Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium:
RWD 230 miles $47k late 2020
AWD 210 miles $50k late 2020
RWD 300 miles $52k late 2020
AWD 270 miles $55k late 2020

Volkswagen ID.4 Pro:
RWD 250 miles $40k early 2021
AWD ?? miles $44k mid 2021

Volvo XC40 Recharge:
AWD 200? miles $50k early 2021

Nissan Ariya:
FWD 220? miles $40k late 2021
FWD 300 miles $45k? late 2021
AWD ?? miles $50k? late 2021
anoop

Post by anoop »

harikaried wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:21 pm
Dougiefresh wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:55 pmI would wait a few months. There are a number of new models (SUV's/CUV's) coming out which may be worth looking into.
It's surprisingly hard to find some basic information about some of these upcoming vehicles…

AWD 316 miles $50k now

Volkswagen ID.4 Pro:

Volvo XC40 Recharge:

Nissan Ariya:
Ford just dropped prices
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3422 ... h-e-price/
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

harikaried wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:21 pm

AWD 316 miles $50k now

Volkswagen ID.4 Pro:

Volvo XC40 Recharge:

Nissan Ariya:
Some of us adjust the price based on the government rebate status. In my case Tesla became less competitive when they evolved out of rebate range.
Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 »

Jonezez wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:51 pm Yes but would wait about 1 year for build quality kinks to be worked out. That's about how long it took for Model 3 to improve (panel gaps and other road noise issues).

Easy. They screw up the software. This is for the ID 3, but I wouldn’t trust the ID 4 either. I don’t trust VW for anything, really.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs. ... pdate/amp/

I agree it’s prudent to wait and see what the upcoming cars from other companies are like, but I would wait until others have purchased and reviewed them first. All previously released supposed Tesla killers have been anything but. Except perhaps the Porsche, and at that price, not for me.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Inframan4712 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:52 am I agree it’s prudent to wait and see what the upcoming cars from other companies are like, but I would wait until others have purchased and reviewed them first. All previously released supposed Tesla killers have been anything but. Except perhaps the Porsche, and at that price, not for me.
I predict that Volvo will rock in this sphere, if home/work charging is 95% sufficient for your use case.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
canderson

Post by canderson »

Inframan4712 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:52 am

Easy. They screw up the software. This is for the ID 3, but I wouldn’t trust the ID 4 either. I don’t trust VW for anything, really.

I agree it’s prudent to wait and see what the upcoming cars from other companies are like, but I would wait until others have purchased and reviewed them first. All previously released supposed Tesla killers have been anything but. Except perhaps the Porsche, and at that price, not for me.
Yikes. That’s ... terrifying.
hightower

Post by hightower »

anoop wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:05 am
hightower wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:32 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:21 pm My take is that the Y is a 3 with a third row of seats squeezed in. Do you need a third row of seats? If yes, go ahead and get a Y. If no, and you want a Tesla, why not just get a 3?
No, they Y is actually a much bigger car and the 3rd row of seats isn't even available yet. The Y has a full hatch back opening, the 3 only has a small trunk opening. With the seats folded down, the Y has a huge amount of cargo space and even with them up, the cargo space in the back is pretty big. Plus, it's a much taller car with a higher seat height. Makes a surprisingly big difference (I've seen one in person and sat in both).
The biggest advantage of the Y over the 3 is that it has a heat pump. This means range would suffer less with the Y in colder climates. It's the only Tesla with a heat pump, and IMO, at this point, it doesn't make sense to buy any other Tesla because you'd be getting old drivetrain technology.
I heard about that and was frankly shocked that the other Tesla models didn't already have heat pumps. My BMW i3 has a heat pump and it came out several years before the Model 3.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

genefl

Post by genefl »

My brother just got the Y Performance and loves it. He rejected the first one because of build quality. The second one was much better but he still had to have them fix quite a few issues. He's not bothered by it as he feels it's normal for Tesla's to require fixes. My neighbor just got a Y and the doors aren't lined up straight! If Tesla doesn't care to deliver a new $60k car without glaringly obvious cosmetic defects, I wonder what internal quality issues are hiding out.

Despite these concerns, I am debating a 3 vs Y. I see that the Y will have a unibody sometime in the near future. Any thoughts on if this is worth waiting for?
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

canderson wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:54 am
Inframan4712 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:52 am

Yikes. That’s ... terrifying.
Not really.
Initially ID.3 with only part of the functions/features originally envisioned at the launch

"one or the other planned function” will first be canceled and then later be delivered via an update, a VW spokesperson confirmed. “Things are not going great”, the spokesman said."
Is that not what Tesla has been doing all along and continues to do? Elon has overpromised and undelivered for years.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

lazydavid wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:54 pm Make sure you get the convertible. :mrgreen:

https://electrek.co/2020/10/05/tesla-mo ... -fall-off/
LOL. It's a feature.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

palanzo wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:11 pm
lazydavid wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:54 pm Make sure you get the convertible. :mrgreen:

https://electrek.co/2020/10/05/tesla-mo ... -fall-off/
LOL. It's a feature.
I’ll be sure to order a couple of these before I pickup up my Y (next year, assuming I go through with ordering one):

https://www.amazon.com/Kaisiking-Alumin ... B0817JGK2Y
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Lease, don't buy.

Battery tech is still advancing rapidly enough that in 3 years there'll be better specs on a new model for roughly the same price.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

ncbill wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:24 am
Lease, don't buy.

Battery tech is still advancing rapidly enough that in 3 years there'll be better specs on a new model for roughly the same price.
Leasing is only better than buying if the total lease payments are lower than the car’s depreciation over the course of the lease.

True for many EVs but not for Teslas.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

I suppose along the lines of the original title…

Tesla pushes software updates to increase the range of your existing vehicles: https://electrek.co/2020/10/16/tesla-so ... -vehicles/

In this case, the Model Y AWD Long Range got a 10 mile range boost to 326 miles from what seems like software optimizations to the motor and climate control without impacting their performance. Some early reports of people who took delivery as early as March this year got the boost.

I suppose the still unavailable RWD version should get a theoretical range increase from a potential 330 miles to 340 miles??
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

TravelGeek wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:43 pm I am following this thread with interest. We are considering downsizing our “fleet” next year and replace our two current vehicles with a single Model Y.

OP, have you done a test drive? (I am looking at scheduling one next month).
Ok, test drive completed. I think we will be ordering the AWD model in a few months, for delivery next spring.

I was surprised by the test drive “implementation”. The Tesla employee basically wiped down the interior touch points, showed me a few basic settings to configure, and then sent me on my way. All they had was my email address and my phone number; no copying of drivers license and all that stuff that regular car dealerships go through. We drove around for half an hour, a mix of city streets and highway, and were quite happy with it.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

HomerJ wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:06 pm
palanzo wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:59 pm
vfinx wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:34 pm Figured I'd check to see what Consumer Reports says about this:

"The Tesla's ride is too stiff and very choppy. Bumps and ruts hit hard, making passengers feel every road imperfection, and the ride motions are short and quick, which makes the car feel nervous."

This hits it on the head.
That won't matter at all on California highways.
Good thing every person in the world lives in CA and only drives on highways.

Oh wait...
CA highways can have potholes like a third world country. I've got my deposit on the Cybertruck :D
Buy Low, Sell High