Talk me into buying a Tesla Model Y

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
retire14

Talk me into buying a Tesla Model Y

Post by retire14 »

My 2006 BMW is on its last leg. Our other car is a 2020 BMW, so we are thinking about Model Y as a second car. To be honest, we now have the means in retirement that we would like to experience a different kind of technology. We are not car enthusiasts, but are technology inclined.
Please advise: 1. Should we go ahead and 2. If yes, any advice ? TIA
livesoft

Re: Talk me into buying a Tesla Model Y

Post by livesoft »

Go ahead and get two of them.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

I would wait for the RWD version to come out.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I have a Tesla Model 3 and absolutely love it. The Model Y is very heavily based on the model 3.

A coworker recently got a Model Y. I am envious of it, honestly. I prefer the mini-SUV form factor of the Model Y better.

My advice would be to order one, check it closely at delivery, and decline delivery if it has any obvious build quality issues with it.

I also recommend that you *do not buy* the FSD package. In my opinion, there just isn’t enough good about it to justify the 8K price.

But yes, buy a Model Y. The AWD Tesla’s are great in the snow. Great all year round really. So. Much good about them.....
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

My take is that the Y is a 3 with a third row of seats squeezed in. Do you need a third row of seats? If yes, go ahead and get a Y. If no, and you want a Tesla, why not just get a 3?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
squirm

Post by squirm »

How about telling us some very basic info first?? Like, um I don't know, how about something important like, can you afford it? That doesn't make the only way you can get one is by making payments. Can you easily pay cash and not worry about going hungry? If so, then go for it. If I was going to recommend an electric car, it would be a Tesla.

Last, I would be suspicious of the Tesla fanbois advice though.

Be realistic and ask yourself if you go on road trips, if you're okay spending 20-30 minutes charging every three hours or so.
Last edited by squirm on Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:21 pm My take is that the Y is a 3 with a third row of seats squeezed in. Do you need a third row of seats? If yes, go ahead and get a Y. If no, and you want a Tesla, why not just get a 3?
I don’t know if they are shipping any 3 row Model Ys yet. They might be. My friends has just two rows of seats.
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

How is the build quality? A friend of mine has a Model 3, and while it is fun, modern, and super fast, it feels cheap with a lot of road noise.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Also,
Once EA pulls their head out and starts maintaining their chargers, hopefully non-Tesla EV's will have a better chance of succeeding on road trips.
alexander29

Post by alexander29 »

I've had a Model Y for three months. No problems at delivery or afterward. Advantages of the Y over the 3 is the height makes it easier to get in and out of, it can haul more with its hatchback, it's quieter, it's build design is better (look for Sandy Munro videos on Youtube), and plastic skirts on the bottom of panels help prevent rock chips. I recommend the Long Range to eliminate range anxiety. It has lots of power, and the two motors give it all wheel drive. The 3 is sportier and slightly cheaper.

I like the Tesla over an ICE car because of zero emissions (I worry about climate change), instant acceleration, a very low center of gravity, the quiet that enhances a good sound system, the comfortable seats, storage options like the "frunk", the glass roof, the software updates, and Tesla's high safety rating. You can "gas up" at home. Because of regenerative braking that puts energy back into he batteries, you usually don't need the brake pedal. You can set the cabin temperature ten minutes before you drive with the app on your phone. It locks and unlocks without the driver having to do anything but walk away and then walk up. The navigation system is very good and very easy. No oil changes, muffler, timing belts, plugs, and so on.

Disadvantage is less unbroken range on long trips - 200 to 300 miles. It's not an off-road vehicle. It doesn't have Apple CarPlay. Its navigation system doesn't work in wilderness away from cell service. Some people contend the paint is not as good. Some think the glass roof overheats in hot climates. Teslas seem to wear tires more quickly. Sales and service need improvement. Some cars have been delivered with quality problems, and spare parts and repairs sometimes take too long. The center screen works well, but there is a learning curve. And so on.

No one should buy one without a test drive. But no one should dismiss Tesla without a test drive. It's a remarkable, revolutionary car.
Kmac3805

Post by Kmac3805 »

I’ve had a model 3 for just shy of 2 years and 40k miles. No real issues at all and have not had to service it either. I came from 2 prior BMWs and definitely prefer the Tesla over BMW. Go for it!
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Watch the Jay Leno's Garage video about the model Y.
hightower

Post by hightower »

retire14 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:56 am My 2006 BMW is on its last leg. Our other car is a 2020 BMW, so we are thinking about Model Y as a second car. To be honest, we now have the means in retirement that we would like to experience a different kind of technology. We are not car enthusiasts, but are technology inclined.
I drive a BMW i3 (3 yrs, 50k miles already) and I can assure you, you will love the switch to electric. I can't comment much on Tesla, other than I test drove a Model 3 and felt the quality was up to par with BMW. But, the electric experience is the same across all makes/models IMO. Driving with one pedal, never going to a gas station, never needing to take it in for an oil change, instant acceleration (which is most impressive in a Tesla). You'll probably want to sell your other car after you get the Model Y;)
hightower

Post by hightower »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:21 pm My take is that the Y is a 3 with a third row of seats squeezed in. Do you need a third row of seats? If yes, go ahead and get a Y. If no, and you want a Tesla, why not just get a 3?
No, they Y is actually a much bigger car and the 3rd row of seats isn't even available yet. The Y has a full hatch back opening, the 3 only has a small trunk opening. With the seats folded down, the Y has a huge amount of cargo space and even with them up, the cargo space in the back is pretty big. Plus, it's a much taller car with a higher seat height. Makes a surprisingly big difference (I've seen one in person and sat in both).
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

I'll consider one when they improve the quality. They seem to have some real problems with reliability.
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/06/te ... g-defects/
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/06/te ... vey-finds/
hightower

Post by hightower »

Jeff Albertson wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:35 pm I'll consider one when they improve the quality. They seem to have some real problems with reliability.
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/06/te ... g-defects/
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/06/te ... vey-finds/
Eh, Tesla had similar issues when Model 3 first came out. Ended up not amounting to much. From what I've read and heard from owners, they generally take care of their customers quite well if problems are found. And over time the quality control issues are addressed and it's no longer a problem. If it's not for you, that's understandable, but they are still selling cars with many happy customers. Don't be the first to buy their newest model and you'll probably avoid the quality control issues.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

I am following this thread with interest. We are considering downsizing our “fleet” next year and replace our two current vehicles with a single Model Y.

OP, have you done a test drive? (I am looking at scheduling one next month).
jastevenson

Post by jastevenson »

I wanted one badly but I test drive it and the ride quality was completely unacceptable. If you’re ok with that, it is an awesome car.
Callisto

Post by Callisto »

I think its suitable given you've identified that you are more interested in the tech verses the car. That's generally the only situation where I'd recommend one. I'm two years into my 3, and compared to BMWs of the same price range, you are getting serious concessions in terms of build quality. The trade off is you're getting tech that's years ahead of everyone else. I also like electric motors being able to trivially accelerate faster (and quieter) than virtually anyone you'll meet on the road.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

My wife checked the Y out last week and really liked it. She wants to be all electric very soon, so we are looking more closely at making the transition. I have friends with the S and 3, and both those families love their Tesla's.

Dave
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

alexander29 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:04 pm I've had a Model Y for three months. No problems at delivery or afterward. Advantages of the Y over the 3 is the height makes it easier to get in and out of, it can haul more with its hatchback, it's quieter, it's build design is better (look for Sandy Munro videos on Youtube), and plastic skirts on the bottom of panels help prevent rock chips. I recommend the Long Range to eliminate range anxiety. It has lots of power, and the two motors give it all wheel drive. The 3 is sportier and slightly cheaper.

I like the Tesla over an ICE car because of zero emissions (I worry about climate change), instant acceleration, a very low center of gravity, the quiet that enhances a good sound system, the comfortable seats, storage options like the "frunk", the glass roof, the software updates, and Tesla's high safety rating. You can "gas up" at home. Because of regenerative braking that puts energy back into he batteries, you usually don't need the brake pedal. You can set the cabin temperature ten minutes before you drive with the app on your phone. It locks and unlocks without the driver having to do anything but walk away and then walk up. The navigation system is very good and very easy. No oil changes, muffler, timing belts, plugs, and so on.

Disadvantage is less unbroken range on long trips - 200 to 300 miles. It's not an off-road vehicle. It doesn't have Apple CarPlay. Its navigation system doesn't work in wilderness away from cell service. Some people contend the paint is not as good. Some think the glass roof overheats in hot climates. Teslas seem to wear tires more quickly. Sales and service need improvement. Some cars have been delivered with quality problems, and spare parts and repairs sometimes take too long. The center screen works well, but there is a learning curve. And so on.

No one should buy one without a test drive. But no one should dismiss Tesla without a test drive. It's a remarkable, revolutionary car.
Great write up. Be warned, a test drive is hazardous to your wealth.

I had no interest in getting one, until I drove one. This happens to a lot of people....
Domadosolo

Post by Domadosolo »

jastevenson wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:45 pm I wanted one badly but I test drive it and the ride quality was completely unacceptable. If you’re ok with that, it is an awesome car.
Can you shed some light on your experience about ride quality?
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Last I checked, the Federal Tax Credits for Electric and Hybrid Vehicles were no longer available for Tesla vehicles. These tax credits can be up to $7,500. The credits however are not refundable, you get the credit up to your tax liability or $7,500, whichever is lower. There is also no carryover for any amount of unused credits. This might be a consideration if you are looking to purchase an electric vehicle.
A fool and his money are good for business.
tdmp

Post by tdmp »

retire14 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:56 am My 2006 BMW is on its last leg. Our other car is a 2020 BMW, so we are thinking about Model Y as a second car. To be honest, we now have the means in retirement that we would like to experience a different kind of technology. We are not car enthusiasts, but are technology inclined.
OK. Talk you INTO buying Model Y right now:
1) you want/need AWD right now so you don't need to wait for RWD which will be cheaper
2) you can afford it and want an electric car
3) you don't want another electric car b/c the tech you want: semi-autonomous Level 2 driving (Tesla basic autopilot) and think Tesla will get to Level 3, 4, 5 at some point in the future while you own the vehicle. (you have the option to buy FSD now or in the future: my opinion: FSD isn't worth it right now).
4) you want a CUV and not a sedan (b/c you can get a model 3).
5) you want fast acceleration
So if you want the above then the Model Y is for you.
Afty

Post by Afty »

nedsaid wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:23 pm Last I checked, the Federal Tax Credits for Electric and Hybrid Vehicles were no longer available for Tesla vehicles. These tax credits can be up to $7,500. The credits however are not refundable, you get the credit up to your tax liability or $7,500, whichever is lower. There is also no carryover for any amount of unused credits. This might be a consideration if you are looking to purchase an electric vehicle.
That’s correct. Same for GM. Other carmakers still qualify.

There are state incentives that Tesla still qualifies for, depending on where you live.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Yes. You only live once. Plus, if you are into tech, the Y will meet your tech savvy desires, as well as being much, much cooler than driving the old BMW which sounds like it's ready for the auto graveyard. People will notice and your sphere of influence will expand significantly.

If you don't do this, you will never forgive yourself. Neither will family, friends or this particular Boglehead. I would not want these unneccesary burdens put on my shoulders.

Now, get to the dealer tomorrow and get 'er done.

The title does say to talk you into buying the Y, so I am just doing as instructed.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
jgdsss

Post by jgdsss »

Did overnight test drive on a Y. Everything was great, everything seriously, except the ride. Very rough, rattling, etc. I even drove it with two diff tire sizes, 20 and 19 and still felt every bump, every pebble, noise, etc. I’d buy it if that wasn’t important. Seats were so comfortable, tech easy, etc.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

nedsaid wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:23 pm Last I checked, the Federal Tax Credits for Electric and Hybrid Vehicles were no longer available for Tesla vehicles. These tax credits can be up to $7,500. The credits however are not refundable, you get the credit up to your tax liability or $7,500, whichever is lower. There is also no carryover for any amount of unused credits. This might be a consideration if you are looking to purchase an electric vehicle.
It’s not really a consideration as the automakers that still qualify for the tax credit intentionally inflate their asking prices.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

I was set on a Model Y. I even put in a $100 order fee a few weeks ago. An EV suits my situation very well.

I unexpectedly had a free day to do a test drive. When I got into the car I loved everything. The driving position is great, and my expectations regarding build quality were set appropriately low given the press coverage.

Within 20 feet of driving I changed my mind. The ride is incredibly stiff. And I come from pretty sporty cars. I honestly don't know why Tesla tuned it to be so stiff. Maybe the Performance model needs that, but this was the base model with the smallest wheels, and I verified the tire pressure was correct (it was actually a bit low). After a few miles of driving, I cut the test drive short, and canceled my order (lost the $100).

Perhaps a Model 3 driver can chime in, but it was way stiffer than my memory of a Model 3 that I tested a few months before.

Just my 2 cents.
jastevenson

Post by jastevenson »

Domadosolo wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:26 pm
jastevenson wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:45 pm I wanted one badly but I test drive it and the ride quality was completely unacceptable. If you’re ok with that, it is an awesome car.
t rode worse than my F-150 pickup truck with regard to bumpiness and overall ride harshness. I don’t need to feel like I am riding on a cloud, but expect a modicum of comfort from a family vehicle.

While everyone is different, be certain that you drive it on some bad roads during your test drive to be sure you can live with it. Quite a few people have had similar complaints.

Of note, Tesla itself says that the Model Y ride is more harsh with just one person in it, and improves when multiple people are inside. So if you are going to be the sole passenger most of the time, be sure you drive it alone rather than bringing your entire family along on the test drive so you can get an accurate assessment.

I drove a Model X afterward, and the ride is much better on that vehicle. But it is also 50% more expensive. I then considered a used one, but I could see the air suspension and the roof-hinged doors costing $$$$$$$ to fix out of warranty. So no Tesla for me, even though it breaks my heart :(
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Model 3 driver here......

The cars call for pretty high tire pressure, 45 psi in my Model 3. (which makes it stiffer all by itself)

I like the ride of my car, it is *tight*, but not harsh. It feels *Germanic* to me. If I lived in a state with crumbly roads, it might indeed feel harsh though.

On ething to watch out for is what size wheels are the on the car you test drive. I have the 18" wheels. I have heard from people who have the 20: wheels, that those are much harsher. So if you drove a *performance* Y, or just a Y with the upgraded wheel package, it is probably harsher than the base model wheels.

But yeah, everybody should judge for themselves what they like. I very intentionally picked a trim with 18" wheels, instead of optional 19s or 20s.

I have never driven a Y, so I can't comment on that. Maybe it has a stiffer suspension in anticipation of having more people/cargo inside.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

jastevenson wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:13 pm
Domadosolo wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:26 pm
t rode worse than my F-150 pickup truck with regard to bumpiness and overall ride harshness. I don’t need to feel like I am riding on a cloud, but expect a modicum of comfort from a family vehicle.

While everyone is different, be certain that you drive it on some bad roads during your test drive to be sure you can live with it. Quite a few people have had similar complaints.

Of note, Tesla itself says that the Model Y ride is more harsh with just one person in it, and improves when multiple people are inside. So if you are going to be the sole passenger most of the time, be sure you drive it alone rather than bringing your entire family along on the test drive so you can get an accurate assessment.

I drove a Model X afterward, and the ride is much better on that vehicle. But it is also 50% more expensive. I then considered a used one, but I could see the air suspension and the roof-hinged doors costing $$$$$$$ to fix out of warranty. So no Tesla for me, even though it breaks my heart :(
If the Y drives worse than a F-150 that says a lot. Which other manufacturer states that their vehicle's ride is harsher with just one person in it? I've never heard of that before.

I'm looking forward to test driving the ID.4.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

jastevenson wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:13 pm Of note, Tesla itself says that the Model Y ride is more harsh with just one person in it, and improves when multiple people are inside. So if you are going to be the sole passenger most of the time, be sure you drive it alone rather than bringing your entire family along on the test drive so you can get an accurate assessment.
Interesting, maybe I need to do another test drive and bring some weights to load in. I will be driving alone most of the time but I don't mind throwing a hundred pounds in the back if it makes it ride better.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

Figured I'd check to see what Consumer Reports says about this:

"The Tesla's ride is too stiff and very choppy. Bumps and ruts hit hard, making passengers feel every road imperfection, and the ride motions are short and quick, which makes the car feel nervous."

This hits it on the head.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

vfinx wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:34 pm Figured I'd check to see what Consumer Reports says about this:

"The Tesla's ride is too stiff and very choppy. Bumps and ruts hit hard, making passengers feel every road imperfection, and the ride motions are short and quick, which makes the car feel nervous."

That won't matter at all on California highways.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

palanzo wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:59 pm
vfinx wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:34 pm Figured I'd check to see what Consumer Reports says about this:

Good thing every person in the world lives in CA and only drives on highways.

Oh wait...
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Any thoughts on the new electric Ford Mustang Mach E?
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Old Guy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:11 pm Any thoughts on the new electric Ford Mustang Mach E?
I've read a few things about it. So far, it sounds pretty good. I'll be really interested to see how it actually is once its out and on the road.

At first, I wanted to gag that they called it a Mustang. But I'm softening up.... if it does 0-60 in 4 seconds, then it's faster than any Mustang I've ever owned.

I own a Tesla, but I am a fan of all EVs. And I hope the Mustang-E is excellent. We can always use more great choices in the market place.

If it goes 300 miles on a charge, and hits 0-60 in 4.X seconds, and it's 40-50K, then it's a very compelling product. And other than the price, (which I'm unsure of), it is supposed to hit those other metrics.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

I disagree. I drive on California highways.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

Not sure what this comment implies. That CA highways are autobahn-smooth? If so, clearly US-101 is not part of your commute.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

vfinx wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:22 pm

I disagree. I drive on California highways.
I guess I should have added the /s
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

HomerJ wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:06 pm

Oh wait...
I guess I should have added the /s
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

Tingting1013 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:23 pm

Not sure what this comment implies. That CA highways are autobahn-smooth? If so, clearly US-101 is not part of your commute.
Like glass. I guess I should have added the /s. I avoid 101 so that I can avoid going to the dentist.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Tingting1013 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:52 pm
It’s not really a consideration as the automakers that still qualify for the tax credit intentionally inflate their asking prices.
Yep. The same thing happened when the Adoption Tax Credit was passed into law, adoption agencies raised their fees by the amount of the credit. I didn't know about the inflated car prices but I am not shocked.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Oh wait...
Where is all that electricity going to come from? California already suffers from blackouts.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

nedsaid wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:03 pm

Oh wait...
Where is all that electricity going to come from? California already suffers from blackouts.
CA has also mandated solar panels on all new housing.

May or may not make a difference.
RJC

Post by RJC »

Is this specifically for the Y or the 3 as well?
RJC

Post by RJC »

alexander29 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:04 pm I've had a Model Y for three months. No problems at delivery or afterward. Advantages of the Y over the 3 is the height makes it easier to get in and out of, it can haul more with its hatchback, it's quieter, it's build design is better (look for Sandy Munro videos on Youtube), and plastic skirts on the bottom of panels help prevent rock chips. I recommend the Long Range to eliminate range anxiety. It has lots of power, and the two motors give it all wheel drive. The 3 is sportier and slightly cheaper.

Is the ride stiff as others have mentioned?
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

RJC wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:36 am

Is this specifically for the Y or the 3 as well?
That was specifically for the Y. Though they said something similar for the 3:

“The Model 3’s ride is overly stiff, like many sports cars, and it struggles to absorb bumps with any grace. Its bigger sibling, the Model S, has a far superior ride.”
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Talk you into it? OK, I'll give it my best shot.

You will save so much money not buying petroleum products and never having to do any routine maintenance at all that you will quickly recoup the entire purchase price and so it will be like getting a cool car with built in video games and flatus sounds for free!

How'd I do?