What are subscriptions that add the most value in 2020?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
egrets

Re: What are subscriptions that add the most value in 2020?

Post by egrets »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:13 pm
Kagord wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:01 pm AAA, why so popular? I mean the internet has kind of taken over triptiks and all those paper tourbooks and maps. The magazine ain't so great. And auto insurance policies add towing/help labor..etc for a buck or 2, and I haven't found their auto insurance to be competitive. The AAA decal may have some reflective properties that prevents an accident though.

I'm old enough to remember the value of this in the days of yore, but today? Am I missing something here?
Perhaps.

I certainly can't change a tire on my full-size E150 van, and I'm pretty sure my wife can't change one either.

Around my area we get a AAA badged truck, and someone I don't worry about harming my wife as most of the time I am not with her. Or, I could depend on someone sent from Cletus Towing and Tackle Shop. No thanks!

To your point, I don't care about much anything else other than a breakdown, flat tire, etc.

When DDs were at home, they also were covered by AAA. One protects what is precious.

Broken Man 1999
+1

I have AAA, Amazon Prime, nytimes digital. Once or twice a year I sign up for a month of kindle unlimited and pig out on ebooks.

Prime saves me money with its discounts and free loans of ebooks, also now that I am rarely in grocery stores it is the best source of good produce. Big supermarkets just don't compare. I use both prime whole foods and peapod, as whole foods doesn't have a lot of things I buy like coca cola.
random_walker_77

Re: What are subscriptions that add the most value?

Post by random_walker_77 »

rjbraun wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:30 am
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:12 am The Economist (for my current rate of $47.99/year)
Is The Economist rate for print or digital?

We used to get print only but miraculously scored print + digital for, I think, $200 for a 2-year subscription. Would do that again in a heart beat, but I doubt that rate will be possible again. Also, one of us probably prefers digital while the other would want print. If we can't find an acceptable compromise I suspect we may end up not renewing, at all.
There's a new deal on the economist: 1 yr of physical magazines for $48, or get both print+digital for $70
https://slickdeals.net/f/14311538-1-yea ... =frontpage
startwithtruth

Post by startwithtruth »

Luckywon wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:47 pm
LilyFleur wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:58 pm
Acorn (the best $6/month I've ever spent!!!!!)
I've been thinking of trying this-what have you watched on this that was good?
If you like British TV, consider Britbox; we enjoyed Acorn for quite a while, but switched to Britbox as so many shows seemed to be moving there.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

random_walker_77 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:10 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:12 am The Economist (for my current rate of $47.99/year)

We used to get print only but miraculously scored print + digital for, I think, $200 for a 2-year subscription. Would do that again in a heart beat, but I doubt that rate will be possible again. Also, one of us probably prefers digital while the other would want print. If we can't find an acceptable compromise I suspect we may end up not renewing, at all.
There's a new deal on the economist: 1 yr of physical magazines for $48, or get both print+digital for $70
Wow! That is an even better deal than I thought possible. Thanks so much for sharing! :D
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

For me
1. Netflix (it's the only TV/movies I watch)
2. Wal-Mart delivery (Wal-Mart would take over an hour for me to shop at and local grocery store is way more expensive. Plus my Wal-Mart credit card gives me 5%)
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

SpaethCo wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:37 pm
Kagord wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:01 pm AAA, why so popular?

I'm old enough to remember the value of this in the days of yore, but today? Am I missing something here?
They offer one number to call for service, and provide service at a regular known fixed cost instead of a random interval variable cost.

For areas they don't directly service, they negotiate rates down to the bare minimum (I've read as low as $23/dispatch). Shops agree to this because AAA guarantees a steady stream of work, but this also means that AAA jobs end up at the bottom of the job list. If it's a typical light day, you get as good of service as you'll ever have. If it's a blizzard day and you end up in a ditch, you'll be tended to after everyone else who was willing to pay more.

We carried AAA for a few years, and then decided when we need help we'd like to arrange that as quickly as possible. Our approach is now to type "towing" into Google Maps and pick the highest rated tow operator nearby. If a tow operator is busy, we can find out right away and move down the list without having to wait on a car club CSR do that at whatever escalation interval their SLA allows.
I recently dropped AAA but picked it back up when I got a deeply discounted renewal offer approx half price. Used it recently and it took 2+ hours for tow to get there. Several years ago same thing Happened, about 2 hours. Probably will not renew at full price.
kryptonic

Post by kryptonic »

Kagord wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:01 pm AAA, why so popular? I mean the internet has kind of taken over triptiks and all those paper tourbooks and maps. The magazine ain't so great. And auto insurance policies add towing/help labor..etc for a buck or 2, and I haven't found their auto insurance to be competitive. The AAA decal may have some reflective properties that prevents an accident though.

I find the DMV services counter to be of great value. 5 minutes at AAA office instead of hours at DMV.
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

*Amazon Prime
*Locast
*Microsoft 365

That's all. No need for streaming music or childish Disney+
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Currently, we have:

- Costco
- AAA
- Cable with HBO
- Kindle Unlimited
- Amazon Prime
- Netflix
- NY Times e-version, $5 per month with educational discount
- iDrive for my laptop backup

I am interested in getting more Kindle e-books; I understand that some metropolitan areas allow a subscription, regardless of your city/state of residence. Does anyone know how to do that with NYC or LA libraries?
jriding

Post by jriding »

The OP asks "subscriptions that add the most value in 2020":

- Strava (run/bike activity tracker)
- Ultrarunning Magazine
- TrainerRoad (cycling training app)
- Netflix
- Spotify
- Local newspaper digital edition
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Rake - hilarious comedy-drama about an Australian barrister
Gold Digger - A 60-year-old widower falls for a much younger man
Hidden - noir thriller set in Wales
The Truth Will Out - Swedish noir
McCallum - London forensic pathologist
Chasing Shadows - DS Sean Stone has an uncanny ability to identify and predict patterns of human behavior but cannot interrogate them very well as he has very few social skills. One of my favorites.
The Schouwendam 12 - Dutch cold case mystery set in a small Dutch village
Mayday - a UK crime drama from the producers of Broadchurch
Code of a Killer - really interesting miniseries, a crime drama featuring the first scientist to use DNA to solve crimes
Balthazar - he's a forensic pathologist in Paris who sees the dead and talks with them. One of my favorites!!! Balthazar is eye candy for sure! :D
Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries - After Phryne Fisher disappears, her niece becomes a lady detective in 1960s Melbourne
The Silence - A deaf teenager witnesses a murder
Hamish Macbeth - Fun mysteries set in the Highlands
Agatha Raisin - British village mystery. Lighthearted and funny.
Wire in the Blood - Robson Green plays a clinical psychologist. Dark and edgy, one of my favorites.
Jack Irish - Aussie noir, an ex-lawyer turned PI, set in Melbourne
Mystery Road - original crime drama set in the Australian outback
Manhunt - Martin Clunes (Doc Martin) stars in this true-crime drama
Keeping Faith - the husband of a happily married lawyer disappears. Set along the Welsh coast.
Acceptable Risk - original crime drama set in Ireland

It's wonderful arm-chair traveling for me, and I do turn the subtitles on for all of these, including those set in Britain.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

startwithtruth wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:45 pm
If you like British TV, consider Britbox; we enjoyed Acorn for quite a while, but switched to Britbox as so many shows seemed to be moving there.
I do like British TV very much. Finished Line of Duty recently and thought it was fantastic. I will check out Britbox-thank you!
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

LilyFleur wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:32 pm
Rake - hilarious comedy-drama about an Australian barrister
Gold Digger - A 60-year-old widower falls for a much younger man
Hidden - noir thriller set in Wales
The Truth Will Out - Swedish noir
McCallum - London forensic pathologist
Chasing Shadows - DS Sean Stone has an uncanny ability to identify and predict patterns of human behavior but cannot interrogate them very well as he has very few social skills. One of my favorites.
The Schouwendam 12 - Dutch cold case mystery set in a small Dutch village
Mayday - a UK crime drama from the producers of Broadchurch
Code of a Killer - really interesting miniseries, a crime drama featuring the first scientist to use DNA to solve crimes
Balthazar - he's a forensic pathologist in Paris who sees the dead and talks with them. One of my favorites!!! Balthazar is eye candy for sure! :D
Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries - After Phryne Fisher disappears, her niece becomes a lady detective in 1960s Melbourne
The Silence - A deaf teenager witnesses a murder
Hamish Macbeth - Fun mysteries set in the Highlands
Agatha Raisin - British village mystery. Lighthearted and funny.
Wire in the Blood - Robson Green plays a clinical psychologist. Dark and edgy, one of my favorites.
Jack Irish - Aussie noir, an ex-lawyer turned PI, set in Melbourne
Mystery Road - original crime drama set in the Australian outback
Manhunt - Martin Clunes (Doc Martin) stars in this true-crime drama
Keeping Faith - the husband of a happily married lawyer disappears. Set along the Welsh coast.
Acceptable Risk - original crime drama set in Ireland

It's wonderful arm-chair traveling for me, and I do turn the subtitles on for all of these, including those set in Britain.
Wow, this is fantastic-I wish I had this list at the beginning of the pandemic :D . Thank you!!
cogito

Post by cogito »

In 2020 we cancelled Netflix and bought a Spotify family subscription. Quality of life greatly improved.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Amazon Prime.

That's it. No Netflix No Apple No Disney No Hulu No HBO. No NYT. No WaPo. No WSJ.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

In normal times, if you pay for hotel rooms at all, the AAA discount easily pays the AAA annual fee
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

1, 3, 7

Dropbox as well (literally all our files are there). Recently started paying for more Google drive space for the thousands of photos we end up with of our son. :oops: :P

Edit to add: strongly considering dropping Prime. Two day delivery isn’t as valuable as it used to be and I find everything else (Prime shows, music) pretty mediocre
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

Netflix!!!!
Sand101

Post by Sand101 »

ScubaHogg wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:44 am 1, 3, 7

Dropbox as well (literally all our files are there). Recently started paying for more Google drive space for the thousands of photos we end up with of our son. :oops: :P

Edit to add: strongly considering dropping Prime. Two day delivery isn’t as valuable as it used to be and I find everything else (Prime shows, music) pretty mediocre
Did you know Prime includes unlimited photo storage? That's one of the main draws for me is that backup. I was on a photo site with all my images and they started charging, so moved it all to Prime.

Ones that I have that haven't been mentioned:
Termite bond - adds a huge amount of value if those buggers ever start eating my house.
Kindle Unlimited - I read a lot and this service has a ton in the area I read. Catch it every year at $80/yr and it saves money off of buying books, at least for me.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Sand101 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:23 pm

Did you know Prime includes unlimited photo storage? That's one of the main draws for me is that backup. I was on a photo site with all my images and they started charging, so moved it all to Prime.
We just like the Google Photo interface, and given that we are using quite a bit of Google drive space for email and other things, the marginal cost for the photos themselves is pretty small
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

ScubaHogg wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:42 am

In normal times, if you pay for hotel rooms at all, the AAA discount easily pays the AAA annual fee
Along with hotel rooms, if you rent cars at all you'll usually save 10-15% and get some upgrades renting through AAA.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

startwithtruth wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:45 pm If you like British TV, consider Britbox; we enjoyed Acorn for quite a while, but switched to Britbox as so many shows seemed to be moving there.
I subscribe to both. Why not, I say! I think Britbox has a bigger selection than Acorn but perhaps it's just a bigger selection of things that appeal to me.

I have noticed things moving to Britbox -- primarily Midsomer Murders. I think it's been on Amazon Prime, Acorn, and Britbox where I think it has settled in! It looks like there is still some shake-out going on with the various streaming services.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Costco
Amazon Prime
Netflix
Mhz - mostly foreign language TV shows and films - working on improving our French and German during Covid
Ring - recording in cloud service

We used to subscribe to a lot of periodicals in paper form but after retirement now use the Libby and RBdigital apps from library to get a huge list of magazines including just about everything mentioned in the posts above. Libraries vary a lot on what magazines they carry in digital form. We are members of two libraries in two cities so we have a better than average selection.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

rjbraun wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:46 pm

Wow! That is an even better deal than I thought possible. Thanks so much for sharing! :D
I just signed up for the print and digital for $70. I thought the deal was over when I went to the order page as it showed $189/$215, but then checked back to the deal page and saw the discount code 65565, and I went back to the order page and applied it, and the rate dropped back to the $70. It said it would renew at the discount amount, so I'll have to remember to check.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Artful Dodger wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:27 pm

I just signed up for the print and digital for $70. I thought the deal was over when I went to the order page as it showed $189/$215, but then checked back to the deal page and saw the discount code 65565, and I went back to the order page and applied it, and the rate dropped back to the $70. It said it would renew at the discount amount, so I'll have to remember to check.
My subscription was a renewal. My credit card charge appeared as $70, now I will keep an eye out to confirm that my subscription end date has been extended one year.

I also checked the box for "rate lock" renewal (or something like that). Normally, I would not opt for that, but the "fine print" seemed to state that the subscription would only renew at the same rate. The rate is so (relatively) low and attractive, I am good with that. In fact, I was trying to renew for 2-years, but the $70 rate was only good for a 1-year subscription.
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Artful Dodger wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:58 pm

Along with hotel rooms, if you rent cars at all you'll usually save 10-15% and get some upgrades renting through AAA.
How this compares to Costco car rental?
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

BogleMelon wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:58 pm

I have no idea. There are no Costcos near me.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

BogleMelon wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:58 pm
In my experience the Costco car rental prices are usually far better than AAA. Last time I used it, the Costco deal also waived additional driver fees.
tmcc

Re: A bunch

Post by tmcc »

Bogle7 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:03 pm For us. A retired couple.

Shopping
Amazon Prime
Costco
AMEX Platinum
Chase Sapphire
Instacart

TV
Hulu with Live TV
Disney+
HBO Max
Amazon Prime Video
IMDBTV
RMPBS
Netflix
Apple TV+

Print Magazines
Architectural Digest
Departures
Dwell
Fine Cooking
Fine Homebuilding
Kitchen & Bath Design News
Milk Street
Modern in Denver
New Yorker
NY Times
Washington Post (digital only)
Qualified Remodeler
Residential Design
Travel & Leisure
Vanity Fair
Wall Street Journal
Wine Spectator

House
Xcel Energy
Denver Water
RE Taxes
Metro Security
Homeowners’ Insurance

Medical
Kaiser - Obamacare
Medicare - Kaiser

Computers
CenturyLink
Local ISP
GoDaddy
T-Mobile - 55+
Backblaze

Miscellaneous
Car Insurance
Apple Music
Apple Arcade
Memrise
how many issues per year do you get from your car insurance? lol
Bogle7

Re: A bunch

Post by Bogle7 »

tmcc wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:05 pmhow many issues per year do you get from your car insurance? lol
AMICA sends 4 issues a year. Paper.
random_walker_77

rjbraun wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:49 pm
Artful Dodger wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:27 pm

My subscription was a renewal. My credit card charge appeared as $70, now I will keep an eye out to confirm that my subscription end date has been extended one year.

I also checked the box for "rate lock" renewal (or something like that). Normally, I would not opt for that, but the "fine print" seemed to state that the subscription would only renew at the same rate. The rate is so (relatively) low and attractive, I am good with that. In fact, I was trying to renew for 2-years, but the $70 rate was only good for a 1-year subscription.
You might want to save a pdf or screenshot of that fine print ust in case there are any issues one year down the road
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

random_walker_77 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:06 pm You might want to save a pdf or screenshot of that fine print ust in case there are any issues one year down the road
Thanks for the tip! I actually did take a screenshot, but maybe I'll also e-mail it to myself as a reminder that I documented things.Amazing how magazine subscription rates can vary so much.

Do you just check slickdeals.com daily for interesting offers? In addition to the time drain, I would worry that it might tempt me to buy stuff that I don't really need or want. That said, I would love to renew my New Yorker subscription at a good rate. In the past, I think Black Friday (after Thanksgiving) was a good time for deals on magazine renewals and also museum membership renewals. Of course, the latter is less of an interest at the moment given the pandemic, unfortunately.
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

Dropped AAA. There are a bunch of apps out there now for calling a tow truck or road help. All of their "discounts" can be had from other sources. None of the trip planning is of any use any more. An anachronistic organization.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Seedbox. $8/month. Thats all im going to say.
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

The Athletic.

For sports journalism, far and above ESPN in my opinion. Good combination of national and local writers for a reasonable monthly fee. I am paying $1/month for 12 months.
random_walker_77

rjbraun wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:54 am
random_walker_77 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:06 pm You might want to save a pdf or screenshot of that fine print ust in case there are any issues one year down the road
Thanks for the tip! I actually did take a screenshot, but maybe I'll also e-mail it to myself as a reminder that I documented things.Amazing how magazine subscription rates can vary so much.

Do you just check slickdeals.com daily for interesting offers? In addition to the time drain, I would worry that it might tempt me to buy stuff that I don't really need or want. That said, I would love to renew my New Yorker subscription at a good rate. In the past, I think Black Friday (after Thanksgiving) was a good time for deals on magazine renewals and also museum membership renewals. Of course, the latter is less of an interest at the moment given the pandemic, unfortunately.
I do actually check slickdeals almost every day, but agree that self-discipline is important. I also setup deal alerts so that they'll email me if a particular item comes up. Right now, I'm waiting for a good deal on a 14" cast iron pan. Similarly, camelcamelcamel is useful for setting price alerts (and checking price history) on items at amazon

For magazines, sometimes really good airline mile deals show up on magsformiles.com. There's also a magazine price search engine at magazinepricesearch.com. If you're patient, many titles get heavily discounted at one point or another. And that'd be the time to pile on renewal years.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Family Apple Music and iCloud. We use them for our homeschooling musical appetites and photos, respectively.

We also love podcasts and Hoopla. There’s really no time or interest in our family for Netflix or Disney+. (Don’t get me wrong, we own lots of Disney movies for the kiddies.)
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Redlion

Post by Redlion »

AFF
Match.com
Amazon Prime
Netflix
Microsoft One
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Peter Attia's Drive
- podcasts are free to everybody, the paid subscription provides access to AMAs and podcast notes
- the subscription is a very-low fee access to the best minds in medicine and health research

Farnam Street Learning Community
- podcasts are free to everybody, the paid subscription provides access to podcast notes
- the LC discussion forum has participants from around the world; the discussions cover a wide range of topics and most comments are thoughtful and well written

SiteGround
- blog hosting

(ISC)2
- the need to get CPEs for maintaining my CISSP certification keeps me abreast of the cyber security developments

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Hustlinghustling

Post by Hustlinghustling »

Great Courses Plus
bago

Post by bago »

Audible
Amazon Prime
Toons

Post by Toons »

Amazon Prime Music HD quality

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I would think our streaming subscriptions. For the small monthly price there is a lot of content. I can see at some point we will no longer have Hulu Live TV.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
xb7

Post by xb7 »

jabberwockOG wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:15 pm Costco
Amazon Prime
Netflix
Mhz - mostly foreign language TV shows and films - working on improving our French and German during Covid
Ring - recording in cloud service

We used to subscribe to a lot of periodicals in paper form but after retirement now use the Libby and RBdigital apps from library to get a huge list of magazines including just about everything mentioned in the posts above. Libraries vary a lot on what magazines they carry in digital form. We are members of two libraries in two cities so we have a better than average selection.
I'm thinking of Mhz Choice for the same reason, but didn't see too-o much there that appealed. I think I'd like "Turkish for Beginners" --- at least it isn't in the seemingly unending list of murder mysteries (I like these once in a while but ... !). I think this service also includes the German show about people that clean up after crime scenes --- that was recommended to me. I've watched some 'Tatort', and find that to be fun, depending somewhat on the location and year, but each episode is like watching a movie (length of episodes).

I expect I'll do this one for a couple of months and then drop it. Some of this content does filter down via over-the-air public channels.

Agreed on the magazines, I get more than I can 'consume' via RBdigital. The app is a little flakey at times, but worst comes to worse I occasionally uninstall and then reinstall it and it works fine again.