Annual oil changes a must? Car maintenance during these times

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
finite_difference

Re: Annual oil changes a must? Car maintenance during these times

Post by finite_difference »

runner3081 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:14 pm Why are you uneasy? Mask up, schedule an appointment, wait outside and wipe down your car when you get home.
Our place let’s you drop off the car after hours. Envelope with the key goes through a slot. You can pay by CC over the phone, and then pickup the car after hours.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Watty

Post by Watty »

One thing that has not been mentioned is that if your car is under warranty then not changing the oil might void your warranty.

It sounds like even in normal times you are not driving a lot. One thing to keep in mind is that even if they have plenty of tread then you should still replace your tires when they are ten years old. There is a code on the side of your tires that will tell you when your tire was made.
sixty40

Post by sixty40 »

Lynx310650 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:56 pm We have a pair of Hondas that even before COVID we were driving less than 5000 miles/year. It's now less than 1000/car over the last year.

We've always just gotten annual oil changes per the recommendation in the owner's manual.

One of our cars is now at about 14 months since the last oil change. I'm a tad uneasy about car maintenance during these times, and am also questioning whether an oil change is a must due to the very low miles. That being said, it has been 14 months...
I have a sports car that I drive about 1000 miles per year, I change the oil every 18 months to 2 yrs, been doing it for 15 years, no issues at all. I get the oil tested at Blackstone labs every so often to see if there are any issues, none what so ever. Even my mechanic says oil is clear. I use synthetic. Take it for what it’s worth. We are in northern CA so climate is pretty decent.
Brewman

Post by Brewman »

jebmke wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:09 pm Jack FFR1846 wrote: ↑Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:59 pm
Do they still have their age old policy to try to drain the transmission instead of the oil, sending you away with an overfilled engine and empty transmission? (it's the reason Subarus use a T70 Torx instead of the 5/8" square female plug for transmission drain plugs)

Or just to use an impact gun to strip the oil drain plug, replacing it with a generic and leaky plastic replacement?

Right below the section where they don’t screw the plug in very far and it vibrates off on the way home, draining your oil along the way.
LOL - This is exactly what happened to me once after going to a Jiffy lube...…..after a lot of back and forth they finally ended up paying me to have a new engine installed …..what a mess :oops:
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:46 pm
Cubicle wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:19 pm In addition to physical degradation of oil (through the running of the engine), chemical degradation occurs over time no matter what, humidity & temperature fluctuations. One of my cars had 600 since I last changed the oil just about 52 weeks ago today. I will be changing it in the next 1-2 weekends.
Bingo. Oil has a finite lifespan. Condensation is a real threat over time.
Actually, oil does not significantly degrade over time if it simply sits in an engine that hasn't been run. It also is not very hydroscopic, and will not absorb atmospheric moisture if it simply sits in the engine.

The oil degrades due to 2 primary factors: [1] polymeric breakdown and additive losses as the engine is operated, and [2] a buildup of acid condensation that results from engine operation. The second item is the reason that a series of very short engine operations, where the oil does not spend any significant time at peak operating temperature, can be most damaging. The old oil, if allowed to remain in the engine for an extended time, can become corrosive not due to the age of the oil so much as the buildup of acid byproducts.

I'm no expert, but I do understand operating conditions that relate to automotive & aircraft engine oil. I'm also a retired ChemE who has worked for an oil company and was involved in the manufacture of oil additives, primarily viscosity improvement polymers.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

neilpilot wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:23 am
Cubicle wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:19 pm In addition to physical degradation of oil (through the running of the engine), chemical degradation occurs over time no matter what, humidity & temperature fluctuations. One of my cars had 600 since I last changed the oil just about 52 weeks ago today. I will be changing it in the next 1-2 weekends.
Actually, oil does not significantly degrade over time if it simply sits in an engine that hasn't been run. It also is not very hydroscopic, and will not absorb atmospheric moisture if it simply sits in the engine.

The oil degrades due to 2 primary factors: [1] polymeric breakdown and additive losses as the engine is operated, and [2] a buildup of acid condensation that results from engine operation. The second item is the reason that a series of very short engine operations, where the oil does not spend any significant time at peak operating temperature, can be most damaging. The old oil, if allowed to remain in the engine for an extended time, can become corrosive not due to the age of the oil so much as the buildup of acid byproducts.

I'm no expert, but I do understand operating conditions that relate to automotive & aircraft engine oil. I'm also a retired ChemE who has worked for an oil company and was involved in the manufacture of oil additives, primarily viscosity improvement polymers.
Then why do all auto manufacturers recommend that oil be changed after certain periods of time?
Last edited by willthrill81 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Kuna_Papa_Wengi

Post by Kuna_Papa_Wengi »

TheDDC wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:16 pm The worry is misplaced. Take care of your car. This too shall pass.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”

-TheDDC
This. Just change it. There's no reason to wait.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

neilpilot wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:23 am The oil degrades due to 2 primary factors: [1] polymeric breakdown and additive losses as the engine is operated, and [2] a buildup of acid condensation that results from engine operation. The second item is the reason that a series of very short engine operations, where the oil does not spend any significant time at peak operating temperature, can be most damaging. The old oil, if allowed to remain in the engine for an extended time, can become corrosive not due to the age of the oil so much as the buildup of acid byproducts.

Question: to what extent if any does a period of "peak operation temperature" operation negate previous periods of short-duration operation?
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Kuna_Papa_Wengi wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:57 am
TheDDC wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:16 pm The worry is misplaced. Take care of your car. This too shall pass.

-TheDDC
There is no reason to change it.

Reasons to wait:
1. Not necessary.
2. Costs money.
3. Wastes resources.
4. Involves unnecessary trip to dealer/shop.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

celia wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:41 pm You’re supposed to change the oil in your car???
:oops:

I think I need new walking shoes...to go buy some oil. This will be a new experience for me. How much does a can cost?
You do not need new shoes. There are many places that will deliver the oil for free! Amazon and Walmart will both do this. You should probably change the filter at the same time. Again, free delivery :) Probably cheaper and faster to change it yourself. But more like work than sitting in a waiting room.
Seriously, if you have never changed the oil in your car, you probably should. Unless of course you do not have a car . . .
If I drove less than 1000 miles a year I'd still have the oil changed at least every other year.
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Watty wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:27 pm One thing that has not been mentioned is that if your car is under warranty then not changing the oil might void your warranty.
I agree! If the car is under warranty, and you value that warranty, then do what you are required to do.
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

surfstar wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:33 am
Kuna_Papa_Wengi wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:57 am

-TheDDC
There is no reason to change it.

Reasons to wait:
1. Not necessary.
2. Costs money.
3. Wastes resources.
4. Involves unnecessary trip to dealer/shop.
Could also do an oil analysis (sent over mail) to check whether it’s needed or not at the 12 month mark. Costs some money but also could be a fun little project and save money over time.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:14 am
neilpilot wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:23 am The oil degrades due to 2 primary factors: [1] polymeric breakdown and additive losses as the engine is operated, and [2] a buildup of acid condensation that results from engine operation. The second item is the reason that a series of very short engine operations, where the oil does not spend any significant time at peak operating temperature, can be most damaging. The old oil, if allowed to remain in the engine for an extended time, can become corrosive not due to the age of the oil so much as the buildup of acid byproducts.

Question: to what extent if any does a period of "peak operation temperature" operation negate previous periods of short-duration operation?
No direct answer to that question, since engine component corrosion is relative to time of exposure to acidic byproducts in the oil.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:35 am

Then why do all auto manufacturers recommend that oil be changed after certain periods of time?
I don't know. Maybe because if they didn't set a time limit, some owner might drive 5 miles daily and wait 6-7 years for the oil change. I don't blindly buy into all manufacturers recommendations. My car's manufacturer says I have lifetime transmission fluid, but I'll change (not flush) it at 50k-70k miIes.

I personally change my synthetic oil & filter at 7500 miles or a year, which ever comes first.

I wasn't arguing for not changing oil at least annually. I was simply explaining that oil that sits in a car that remains idle and is never operated isn't degrading. OTOH one of the the most sever oil service profiles is a car that goes 5 miles daily 365 days a year, since acid & water builds up in the oil and it never gets sufficiently hot to drive off the water.
azanon

Post by azanon »

If I had "a pair of hondas each getting 1000 miles/year", the first thing I'm going to be looking into is where to sell one of them - not whether or not I need to change the oil once/year.
batpot

Post by batpot »

Mako wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:54 pm
batpot wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:24 pm Jiffy Lube's new policy is you don't even get out of the car. You wind down the window enough to chat, and hand them a credit card.
Another way in which the pandemic has made things better.
Does that mean they won't check my cabin air filter and give me a crazy guilt trip to change it (for a mere $80). :mrgreen:
CORRECT. They did still check the air intake filter, though.
batpot

Post by batpot »

Brewman wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:20 am
jebmke wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:09 pm Jack FFR1846 wrote: ↑Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:59 pm
Do they still have their age old policy to try to drain the transmission instead of the oil, sending you away with an overfilled engine and empty transmission? (it's the reason Subarus use a T70 Torx instead of the 5/8" square female plug for transmission drain plugs)

Or just to use an impact gun to strip the oil drain plug, replacing it with a generic and leaky plastic replacement?

Right below the section where they don’t screw the plug in very far and it vibrates off on the way home, draining your oil along the way.
LOL - This is exactly what happened to me once after going to a Jiffy lube...…..after a lot of back and forth they finally ended up paying me to have a new engine installed …..what a mess :oops:
that's really bad...
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

I've found auto maintenance to be the same as ever. In fact I've had more free time so I changed all the brakes, oil, filter etc. I change every 5k.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

rooms222 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:18 pm It making me lean back to doing the oil change myself outdoors. Haven´t done it for 20 years, but it is not difficult if the filter and oil drain plug are accessible while lying on the ground.
And you just took me back to the days when oil filters were at the top of the engine, and you didn't need ramps to get to the plug.

See the oil filter right next to the air cleaner.

https://cdn-0.barnfinds.com/wp-content/ ... -motor.jpg
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Lynx310650 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:56 pm We have a pair of Hondas that even before COVID we were driving less than 5000 miles/year. It's now less than 1000/car over the last year.

We've always just gotten annual oil changes per the recommendation in the owner's manual.

One of our cars is now at about 14 months since the last oil change. I'm a tad uneasy about car maintenance during these times, and am also questioning whether an oil change is a must due to the very low miles. That being said, it has been 14 months...
There is minimal risk to you to bring your cars to a shop to have your oil changed. Wear a face mask and make sure they are wearing a face mask when they talk to you. Keep your distance just to be extra cautious. Once done, ask them to bring your car outside and roll down all the windows and let the wind blow for a couple of minutes before getting in. Although that is overkill, it will make you feel a whole lot better when you get back inside. When you get into the car wipe down the steering wheel and gear select. Drive home and wash your hands. Don't touch your face, in particularly picking your nose (i'm serious) until you had the chance to get home and wash your hands.

Again, all that is a bit of overkill, but it will make you feel better about the situation.

Your other option is to learn to do your own oil changes. It is not hard especially if you can get to the filter without getting under the car.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Chuck107 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:31 pm
cheese_breath wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:14 pm
rooms222 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:18 pm It making me lean back to doing the oil change myself outdoors. Haven´t done it for 20 years, but it is not difficult if the filter and oil drain plug are accessible while lying on the ground.
And you just took me back to the days when oil filters were at the top of the engine, and you didn't need ramps to get to the plug.

See the oil filter right next to the air cleaner.

https://cdn-0.barnfinds.com/wp-content/ ... -motor.jpg
Heh, looking at that engine brought back the smell instantly.
That picture is from an American Motors Rambler 440 (AKA Rambler American). I had one of those. It was my first brand new car, also my first car with a screw on oil filter.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

neilpilot wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:13 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:35 am

I don't know. Maybe because if they didn't set a time limit, some owner might drive 5 miles daily and wait 6-7 years for the oil change. I don't blindly buy into all manufacturers recommendations. My car's manufacturer says I have lifetime transmission fluid, but I'll change (not flush) it at 50k-70k miIes.

I personally change my synthetic oil & filter at 7500 miles or a year, which ever comes first.

I wasn't arguing for not changing oil at least annually. I was simply explaining that oil that sits in a car that remains idle and is never operated isn't degrading. OTOH one of the the most sever oil service profiles is a car that goes 5 miles daily 365 days a year, since acid & water builds up in the oil and it never gets sufficiently hot to drive off the water.
For a vehicle that's still under warranty, I personally choose to follow the manufacturer's recommendations to the letter. Beyond that, I might loosen up a few things, but changing oil wouldn't be one of them. It's too cheap and easy.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Cubicle wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:19 pmFinancially, the cost of the oil change is usually a fraction of the value of most people's cars. At least you nor anyone else could never say "the engine disintegrated because you didn't change the oil...".
I knew a guy who thought that changing the oil in a vehicle was stupid for some reason and rarely did it. His vehicles were all shot by the time they reached 50k miles.
I see you've met my father... or his kindred spirit in automotive neglect. Imagine my surprise as an adult to find out it's not normal to break down on the side of the road when the engine or transmission finally gives out from neglect, and that normal people take their car to the shop when they see mystery fluids on the driveway.

Back to the original thread, my Accord just started throwing a maintenance minder alert and I can also tell the tires are getting towards the end of life. I'll have to call the dealership on Monday to see if they can handle the needed service and a new set of tires during their limited Saturday hours next weekend. I'm pulling 50-60 hour weeks at work right now so I don't really have the time to drop it off during the week.

My plan is to walk around the block, or hang outside behind the shop where very few people are, while they're working on it, then wipe it down when they're done and drive home with the windows open to air it out. They say on their website that they use masks and gloves, plus put down seat covers. I've been planning this out in my mind for a while, because I know I need new tires before it starts raining, but the maintenance minder is helping put a bit more pressure on me to get this done now instead of waiting for the first major rain forecast.

I've been pretty careful on isolation due to the high-risk family members in my household, but I also need a safe car and I don't feel safe driving on these tires once it starts raining.
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

Trader Joe wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:17 pm

You should always follow the instructions of your user manual.
Including to never change the ATF on many cars?
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

In the past, Honda has recommended a minimum of one oil change/year, regardless of mileage.

Both our cars are out of warranty, and are spending 2020 in partial suspended animation. I plan on extending the oil change interval. The oil has been underground millions of years already, so going an extra six months on an oil change should be fine.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

blastoff wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:43 am
Trader Joe wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:17 pm

You should always follow the instructions of your user manual.
Including to never change the ATF on many cars?
Doubtful any owner's manual recommends never change the ATF. Mine says there is no regular maintenance interval. There's no replacement interval for my alloy rims either. Doesn't mean I'm never going to change it if it's bent. I like to keep my cars a long time.
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

I'd change the oil annually. Oil breaks down by both use and time.

I don't consider going to a car dealership or service center any more risky than going to a grocery store, probably less. Just mask up.

What I do differently is after getting the car back, keep my mask on, wipe off touch points, open all the windows, keep the HVAC on and drive around with the windows down and my mask on for at least 10 minutes to get the air and HVAC circulated. Seems to work well.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

OldSport wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:58 pm I'd change the oil annually. Oil breaks down by both use and time.

I don't consider going to a car dealership or service center any more risky than going to a grocery store, probably less. Just mask up.

What I do differently is after getting the car back, keep my mask on, wipe off touch points, open all the windows, keep the HVAC on and drive around with the windows down and my mask on for at least 10 minutes to get the air and HVAC circulated. Seems to work well.
But if you have a house or unrestricted parking area, you can have a provider change your oil there, and not allow anyone inside your vehicle.

I'm sort of surprised no businesses have adopted a "no-touch" model (for your car interior) for oil changes.
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Synthetic changed once a year.
BuyAndHoldOn

Post by BuyAndHoldOn »

Is that true - or as true - with Synthetic oil? No argument here, just testing what I have read.
sixty40 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:23 pm
I have a sports car that I drive about 1000 miles per year, I change the oil every 18 months to 2 yrs, been doing it for 15 years, no issues at all. I get the oil tested at Blackstone labs every so often to see if there are any issues, none what so ever. Even my mechanic says oil is clear. I use synthetic. Take it for what it’s worth. We are in northern CA so climate is pretty decent.
Full disclosure, I am similar. I use synthetic, and look more at mileage than I do time (years). I haven't had issues, but am open to reconsidering. I last got my oil changed 3 years ago. I do some things like "exercising" my car on the freeway 1x per week, but I was mainly doing that to keep the battery alive. I put maybe - maybe - 500 miles on the car each year.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

BuyAndHoldOn wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:53 pm
Is that true - or as true - with Synthetic oil? No argument here, just testing what I have read.
Synthetic oil does not last forever. Mobil 1 has an oil that they claim will last for 20k miles, but that would likely void any manufacturer's warranty. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic myself, but I still change the oil every 5k miles.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

willthrill81 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:04 pm
Synthetic oil does not last forever. Mobil 1 has an oil that they claim will last for 20k miles, but that would likely void any manufacturer's warranty. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic myself, but I still change the oil every 5k miles.
5k miles seems short - is that over a year?
I go 10k miles on a gasoline direct injection, turbo VW - a design that most would consider "hard" on the oil. Due to Covid and DW owning a Prius Prime over the last year, my 10k miles didn't occur in 7 months as usual - I'm not going on month 13 and have 6,500+ miles on the oil. I reset the one-year reminder instead of changing the oil. Not worried about it. VW says 10k or 1 year for this vehicle. Outside of warranty now.

For the above posters with low-annual miles sport cars - you can be justified in changing the oil more frequently if you are worried about resale value and that a future buyer might care. Otherwise, I'd go a couple years on synthetic with low miles easily.
jdb

Post by jdb »

A440 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:01 pm If one owns a Tesla, do they even have oil that needs to be changed?
Why do I enjoy these motor oil threads? A Tesla does not have an engine. It has a motor. Only fluid a Tesla owner needs to replace is the windshield washer fluid. And one reason I got a Tesla is to avoid ever again having Jiffy Lube somehow screw up car engine. Good luck.
Last edited by jdb on Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

surfstar wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:15 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:04 pm
5k miles seems short - is that over a year?
I go 10k miles on a gasoline direct injection, turbo VW - a design that most would consider "hard" on the oil. Due to Covid and DW owning a Prius Prime over the last year, my 10k miles didn't occur in 7 months as usual - I'm not going on month 13 and have 6,500+ miles on the oil. I reset the one-year reminder instead of changing the oil. Not worried about it. VW says 10k or 1 year for this vehicle. Outside of warranty now.

For the above posters with low-annual miles sport cars - you can be justified in changing the oil more frequently if you are worried about resale value and that a future buyer might care. Otherwise, I'd go a couple years on synthetic with low miles easily.
5k miles is more often than the oil change indicator on the vehicle. When I just changed it after 5k miles, the indicator said that the oil life was at 38%, which means that I could have gone as far as 8k miles, though the indicator is not based purely on mileage but also on the number of starts as well as other factors.

But my philosophy has always been that I'd rather change the oil more often than necessary rather than not often enough. The risk is quite asymmetric. My father also changed the oil every 5k miles with Mobil 1 in his 2001 Pontiac Firebird, and after 260k miles, every cylinder still had factory specified compression.

Further, every time I've changed the oil in any vehicle we've owned at 5k miles, the oil that came out was very black, though not burnt, and definitely not what I would want to put back into it to run it for several thousand more miles.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

jdb wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:42 pm
A440 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:01 pm If one owns a Tesla, do they even have oil that needs to be changed?
Why do I enjoy these motor oil threads? A Tesla does not have an engine. It has a motor. Only fluid a Tesla owner needs to replace is the windshield washer fluid. And one reason I got a Tesla is to avoid ever again having Jiffy Lube somehow screw up car engine. Good luck.
I encourage you to learn more about your car’s maintenance needs. For example Tesla recommends testing brake fluid for contamination every 2 years and replacing as needed.
jdb

Post by jdb »

neilpilot wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:59 pm
jdb wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:42 pm
I encourage you to learn more about your car’s maintenance needs. For example Tesla recommends testing brake fluid for contamination every 2 years and replacing as needed.
A Tesla owner does not replace brake fluid. At least none that I know. Nor does Jiffy Lube. Done at service centers as part of annual or every two year maintenance reviews if even needed, which is doubtful at that interval.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

inbox788 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:12 pm With only 1000 miles in 14 months, don't worry about it. If you're concerned about water, got for a drive and burn it off. A longer drive (20-30 minutes) once or twice a month should be more than sufficient.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t ... re.111373/

And if you're hurting your engine, so what if it's not going to make it 300k or 200k? Most likely it's going to age out (plastics, sun damage, paint and upholstery, etc.) before engine wears out.
100% agree. Oil change at 12 months is a generally good guideline. With full synthetic oil and less than 3.5-4k miles annually, I'd go up to 24 months in a pinch (like right now waiting for a vaccine) and have absolutely no worries about engine longevity. Just make sure you check the oil level and top off it the oil is low.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Regarding those who worry about the safety of taking the car in right now, I just took mine in last week. I decided to drop it off after hours so no one was around me. Obviously you need a ride home. Then the next day when it was ready I paid for it online. My GF dropped me off at the shop and I walked in got my keys and was out of the service area in less than a minute.

So in my case unless someone cough/hacked all over the interior of my car, my exposure was near zero. I saw all of the employees with masks. The night I dropped it off, I can't say the same about one couple that went into the place to car shop. Neither had a mask fortunately I just had to drop off the keys by the service entrance.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

rich126 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:17 pm Regarding those who worry about the safety of taking the car in right now, I just took mine in last week. I decided to drop it off after hours so no one was around me. Obviously you need a ride home. Then the next day when it was ready I paid for it online. My GF dropped me off at the shop and I walked in got my keys and was out of the service area in less than a minute.

So in my case unless someone cough/hacked all over the interior of my car, my exposure was near zero. I saw all of the employees with masks. The night I dropped it off, I can't say the same about one couple that went into the place to car shop. Neither had a mask fortunately I just had to drop off the keys by the service entrance.
You also could have had a service come to your house to change the oil and not allowed them inside your car. Payment could be done online. Of course that wouldn't work if it's prohibited at your home. I would think by now some businesses would have no-touch oil-change services.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:40 pm
rich126 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:17 pm Regarding those who worry about the safety of taking the car in right now, I just took mine in last week. I decided to drop it off after hours so no one was around me. Obviously you need a ride home. Then the next day when it was ready I paid for it online. My GF dropped me off at the shop and I walked in got my keys and was out of the service area in less than a minute.

You also could have had a service come to your house to change the oil and not allowed them inside your car. Payment could be done online. Of course that wouldn't work if it's prohibited at your home. I would think by now some businesses would have no-touch oil-change services.
Based on the HOAs in Scottsdale, it wouldn't surprise me to find out it is prohibited. I'm moving shortly so it doesn't matter. Thanks.
toast0

Post by toast0 »

Frugalbear wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:20 pm

Oil still breaks down...regardless of mileage always get at least one oil change per year.
At least once a year if only seeing light duty use is what I've seen from most manufacturers, but on my plug-in hybrid, Ford says you only need to change the oil once every two years if the engine doesn't run enough that the maintenance minder tells you sooner.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Get the oil changed
After that you won't have to think about it
for another year
Hondas owner for years.

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:17 pm Back to the original thread, my Accord just started throwing a maintenance minder alert and I can also tell the tires are getting towards the end of life. I'll have to call the dealership on Monday to see if they can handle the needed service and a new set of tires during their limited Saturday hours next weekend. I'm pulling 50-60 hour weeks at work right now so I don't really have the time to drop it off during the week.
Well I'm more than a bit annoyed. The dealership didn't have any Saturday appointments, so I cleared my morning this morning for an appointment to get the oil change, other B1 maintenance, and new tires.... only to be told they didn't have my tire size in stock. I don't know if someone goofed and ordered the size for a different trim line or if someone goofed and didn't order them at all. All I know is I took the morning off from work and I still don't have my tires.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

batpot wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:24 pm
runner3081 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:14 pm Why are you uneasy? Mask up, schedule an appointment, wait outside and wipe down your car when you get home.
yup.
got my oil changed a few weeks ago. It's a 2007 Civic that "calculates" the oil life. Average 8-9k miles between changes.

Jiffy Lube's new policy is you don't even get out of the car. You wind down the window enough to chat, and hand them a credit card.
My policy is to avoid Jiffy Lube and peers at all costs. Even if they remember to put the cap back on and manage not strip the plug threads, good luck getting all of the oil and debris to drip out in the few seconds they wait.
See viewtopic.php?p=2725245#p2725245
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Mudpuppy wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:44 pm
Mudpuppy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:17 pm Back to the original thread, my Accord just started throwing a maintenance minder alert and I can also tell the tires are getting towards the end of life. I'll have to call the dealership on Monday to see if they can handle the needed service and a new set of tires during their limited Saturday hours next weekend. I'm pulling 50-60 hour weeks at work right now so I don't really have the time to drop it off during the week.
Well I'm more than a bit annoyed. The dealership didn't have any Saturday appointments, so I cleared my morning this morning for an appointment to get the oil change, other B1 maintenance, and new tires.... only to be told they didn't have my tire size in stock. I don't know if someone goofed and ordered the size for a different trim line or if someone goofed and didn't order them at all. All I know is I took the morning off from work and I still don't have my tires.
I understand about being annoyed and don't think you could have anticipated that. But mistakes do happen - did you get the impression the dealership tried to call around for tires or otherwise make accommodations? It seems like distributors aren't out of tires too often but maybe Covid has changed that. For me effort to overcome the problem would count for something. In any case is this some tires-for-life deal? If not can't you buy tires elsewhere with more favorable hours?
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

I have the same issue with the Jeep at our summer place...we use it about 1000 miles a year for towing the jet skis in and out and running some errands...asked my wrench if I really needed to change the oil, he said hell no...I would much rather sell you a new engine in a few years...ok...point made...also watch for how old your tires are...mine were like 11 years old and had tons of tread let but inside they were cracking and not safe...
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Mako wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:54 pm
batpot wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:24 pm Jiffy Lube's new policy is you don't even get out of the car. You wind down the window enough to chat, and hand them a credit card.
Does that mean they won't check my cabin air filter and give me a crazy guilt trip to change it (for a mere $80). :mrgreen:
I always change my engine and cabin filter right before going for an oil change (once a year) to eliminate this.

As to the original question, when I have let my oil changes slip much beyond a year the oil has been pretty dirty. I also drive 3k-5k miles a year. A lot depends on where (environmental factors like pollution)/how you drive (stop and go vs. highway). I really try to stick with the yearly oil change schedule. I wore a mask/socially distanced and wouldn't worry much about Covid unless I was at high risk in which case I might get someone else to take the car in. I'd be more worried about grocery shopping than an oil change regarding Covid.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

tibbitts wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:21 pm
Mudpuppy wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:44 pm
I understand about being annoyed and don't think you could have anticipated that. But mistakes do happen - did you get the impression the dealership tried to call around for tires or otherwise make accommodations? It seems like distributors aren't out of tires too often but maybe Covid has changed that. For me effort to overcome the problem would count for something. In any case is this some tires-for-life deal? If not can't you buy tires elsewhere with more favorable hours?
Part of the annoyance was that I have been trying to limit my exposure to outsiders, due to having an extremely high-risk person in my household. For several months, I hadn't even set foot inside another building, other than the post office to check my P.O. box, until I had to take a cat to the emergency vet three weeks ago. Not having the tires means having to get a second round of exposure to another group of people, and I've had way too many exposure incidents in the last three weeks for comfort. But I also need the tires before it starts raining.