Excel 2019 instructions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mucho dinero

Excel 2019 instructions

Post by mucho dinero »

Folks,

Do any of you know if the book Excel 2019/2020 for Dummies has sections providing sample problems that you can practice :D on? If not are there any other books on excel that contain problems for practice?

Thanks in advance. :D
mancich

Re: Excel 2020 instructions

Post by mancich »

I would use the Excel Is Fun channel on YouTube, it is excellent
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

What are you trying to do? When I was trying to learn Excel I found very slow progress slugging thru a book from A to Z. Only when I started working on a problem I was actually interested in did I start to make progress.
Flyer24

Re: Excel 2019 instructions

Post by Flyer24 »

Duplicate posts have been merged.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

You can do so much in Excel it is hard to recommend a book.

I think you are better off either searching for a tutorial online (https://www.excel-easy.com/ is one but I don't know how good it is) or search for what you want to do (e.g., financial, statistical, formatting, specific function like vlookup, etc.).

I do a lot of stuff in Excel, especially with some really large spreadsheets (3,000 rows, 100 columns) but there is a ton of stuff people could ask me about and I'd be clueless because I simply don't do those things.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

kaneohe wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:27 am Only when I started working on a problem I was actually interested in did I start to make progress.
+1

mucho dinero, do you have an example description of what you would like to do?
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Over the past 25 years, I have purchased a number of Excel books. A lot of them have some good information. However, they generally sit there to be used less than once a year.

Google and YouTube are probably the best source for problem solving in ANY version of Excel. There are a lot of professionals out there putting together excellent videos that are easy to follow.

Good luck.
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

Rocket science is not “rocket science” to a rocket scientist, just as personal finance is not “rocket science” to a Boglehead.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

You don't learn computer languages/applications/software unless you have problems to solve which are dear to you. Proficiency with them is not a knowledge, but just a skill. Use it or lose it.
ruhigste

Post by ruhigste »

When I can't get Quicken to do what I want, I sometimes download Quicken data to Excel as a worksheet. That worksheet, in turn, can be linked to other Excel worksheets to provide others ways of viewing personal financial information.

Just as an example: it's possible to run your gross-to-net process far into the future as a simulation of how one's long-term portfolio looks. I find the Microsoft help good for functions that are new to me. Sometimes I spend time building a work-around that I later learn already exists in Excel. Just looking through the list of available functions in the help can be interesting, and may give you an idea of something useful to you.

Microsoft also provides pre-formatted worksheets that may be something you want or need to do.

I echo the tip from others in this thread: you really learn about Excel when you have a problem to solve. The best problems arise when you're doing something important for yourself or for someone else.
Topic Author
mucho dinero

Post by mucho dinero »

Folks,''
Thanks you one and all for your excellent input. In general I agree with your observation that you will only learn how to do the excel app(like all other apps) through applying what your learn, As the post from MathMy Way reads" You don't learn computer languages/applications/software unless you have problems to solve which are dear to you. Proficiency with them is not a knowledge, but just a skill. Use it or lose it." Also as jlawrence01 states "Google and YouTube are probably the best source for problem solving in ANY version of Excel. There are a lot of professionals out there putting together excellent videos that are easy to follow."
Also I appreciate the tips from others in this thread relative to using (https://www.excel-easy.com?, Excel is Fun, mrexecel.com.)
FiveK, per your question, I will give you twosignifivcantve examples:
1. My friend whom I am working with would like to be able to evaluate his numerous customers through the use of Statistical signifcance tests on characteristics such as repeat versus non repeat buyers.
2. I would like to be able to review my financial skills through be able to evaluate the results of certain actins I have taken such as rebalancing my portfolio.
Every one have a great weekend.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

mucho dinero wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:32 am 2. I would like to be able to review my financial skills through be able to evaluate the results of certain actins I have taken such as rebalancing my portfolio.
In that case, see Rebalancing Spreadsheets for some examples.

See also Tools and calculators - Bogleheads and search for "spreadsheet" to find many good examples.
Topic Author
mucho dinero

Post by mucho dinero »

Folks,

I need some more advice here. The course excel is fun can only be done with a PC. I have a Mac so the u-tube course is not compatible with my computer. So does any body know of a similar course oriented to folks using Microsoft Office for Mac software on a apple computer? I am using the Microsoft course on this for now, but I thought there might be some other sources,
Thanks in advance.