Bogleheads knows how many Echo devices I have

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dodgema

Bogleheads knows how many Echo devices I have

Post by dodgema »

Well, I'm freaked out.

Just on a lark I asked, "Alexa, how many Echo devices are in the house?" It said, "According to Bogleheads.org, you have (X) devices." And it was right.

Can anyone explain this? I'm not normally tech-phobic but this is spooking me.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Bogleheads knows how many Echo devices I have

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! That would freak me out too, as you are a new member and the username is not anywhere in this forum (until now).

Do you surf this forum much? I'm wondering if your browser's search history is somehow captured and fed back to Alexa.

Try clearing your browser's cache. FYI - Clearing the browser cache will log you out of the forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Out of curiosity, I just tried asking the same question and got the following response:

"Here's something I found on the Web: according to Bogleheads.org, you have three Echo devices."

In fact, I have five Echo devices physically located in my home but one is still in the box (unopened) and another one is out of the box but not currently plugged in. I do in fact currently have three devices plugged in and connected to the Internet in my home.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

dodecahedron wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:52 pm Out of curiosity, I just tried asking the same question and got the following response:

"Here's something I found on the Web: according to Bogleheads.org, you have three Echo devices."

In fact, I have five Echo devices physically located in my home but one is still in the box (unopened) and another one is out of the box but not currently plugged in. I do in fact currently have three devices plugged in and connected to the Internet in my home.
Well, just tried the same thing (asking Alexa how many Echo devices in the house), three, one in a box not connected at this time. Exactly what I have.

Weird!

I'm certain that Amazon knows how many are connected, but I don't get the Bogleheads.org reference at all.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I don't have an Echo, but a Google Search shows that Alexa is indeed tracking you.

I'm betting your browser history is somehow connected to Amazon. This site has nothing to do with it.

Try clearing your Alexa voice history: Review Your Alexa Voice History
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

This is certainly curious. I can see Alexa knowing how many Echo devices you have, but do not see how Bogleheads.org is involved.

This is funny....I don't have any Echo devices and were not even sure what they were so I googled it. About 5 minutes later, I got an email from Amazon encouraging me to "meet the all-new Amazon and Alexa devices". Could be a coincidence. Or maybe not.
cliffedelgado

Post by cliffedelgado »

Tried with mine and it also said three devices. Is it responding with three for everyone regardless of how many you actually have ?
galving

Post by galving »

I like the reference to Bogleheads!

Bogleheads thinks we have 3 Echo devices. . . They are a little off because we have 5 online.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I received a similar response from my one and only echo device. Amazon said three echo.

And yeppers, I did receive an email promoting Amazon Echos.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Ask Siri and see if she knows.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

Is everyone hearing 3? It's only spooky if 3 is correct. We do have 3 echo devices in the house. How is Bogleheads involved?
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

mmmodem wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:28 pm Is everyone hearing 3? It's only spooky if 3 is correct. We do have 3 echo devices in the house. How is Bogleheads involved?
No. See above.
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

Just tried it and got 3 as well. I only have 1 Alexa Echo. Maybe she's referencing the phone apps on both of our phones? What's up with the bogleheads.org reference.... :shock:
drk

Post by drk »

Dottie57 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:25 pm And yeppers, I did receive an email promoting Amazon Echos.
That makes sense. Today is an Amazon device launch day, which includes several new Alexa products.
drk

Post by drk »

dodecahedron wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:52 pm Out of curiosity, I just tried asking the same question and got the following response:

This whole thread is funny. It's just reading out a best-guess answer from a web search index. There's no magic here. Just the opposite, really, considering Alexa is giving the wrong answer.
Topic Author
dodgema

Post by dodgema »

Yep, I got 3 as well, so that explains that. Probably an average of all homes that Echo devices. Now the curious part is, why the reference to Bogleheads? I asked Google Home the same thing. Response had nothing to do with question.
Last edited by dodgema on Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Wonder what it says for those who have never logged in to Bogleheads?
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads
drk

Post by drk »

dodgema wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:39 pm Yep, I got 3 as well. Now the curious part is, why the reference to Bogleheads?
See my comment above yours. That Bogleheads.org thread is just the highest-ranked one in its search index.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Since the answer for everyone is three, regardless of how many they actually have, there must be a thread or article on here somewhere that the Alexa engine thinks answers that question.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Now we need someone who doesn't surf bogleheads or that doesnt have an account to ask it. Trying to get ahold of my friend...
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Alexa's been researching the Three-Fund Portfolio because you spend so much time on bogleheads.org so got confused when you asked her the question. She isn't very bright.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I asked and got the same "According to bogleheads.org, you have three Echo devices". Obviously, this is the canned response, probably gathered from an earlier post here on the forum about Alexa devices.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Topic Author
dodgema

Post by dodgema »

Actually I had no idea that this website existed. I had never heard of it until I got the message that it was according to Bogleheads.org that I had three echo devices. I just joined to see if anybody else it had the same issue
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

Dottie57 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:25 pm I received a similar response from my one and only echo device. Amazon said three echo.

And yeppers, I did receive an email promoting Amazon Echos.
Well of course you did since you don't have the requisite 3.

What are people doing with all of these echoes?
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Post by 000 »

What if you ask it "Alexa, how does bogleheads.org know how many Echo devices I have?".
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Chuck107 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:34 pm Me too, according to bogleheads .org we have x echo devices, and x is the correct amount. :shock:
Is X a number other than 3?

This is very odd indeed.
We don't have Alexa or any Echo devices, so we can't play. :(

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bonglehead

Post by bonglehead »

dodgema wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:39 pm Yep, I got 3 as well, so that explains that. Probably an average of all homes that Echo devices. Now the curious part is, why the reference to Bogleheads? I asked Google Home the same thing. Response had nothing to do with question.
So I think if you go to Amazon.com via a link posted on bogleheads, I think boglehead gets some compensation- I am wondering if that’s how the link between bogleheads and Amazon (and Alexa) may been formed?
It is bizarre nevertheless
bonglehead

Post by bonglehead »

BTW I also got the same response i.e. 3 devices but actually we have 7, so it’s definitely a canned response
pseudoiterative

Post by pseudoiterative »

Just on a lark I asked, "Solely-For-Profit-Tech-Company, how many personified microphones for customer-data-capture are installed in my house?" ...

... and there was no response at all, just the sound of rain continuing to fall outside.
DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave »

I just checked the email that Amazon uses, and I got the new Echo announcement email at 4:07 this afternoon-it's almost 7PM now.
I then asked "Alexa, how many echo devices do I have?" and got...logorrhea about Echoes, colors etc.
Nothing about Bogleheads. I was streaming NPR at the time, and it kept streaming in the background. I'll try again.
Oh, I'll have my friend ask! She HATES Bogleheads!
*****pause*****
OK, she got the same thing- The "Table of Contents". No count.
Sorry, Bogleheads, I guess our 15 minutes of AI Fame is over.
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

I think Alexa is hooked to three fund portfolio and will keep repeating this forever.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Interesting thread.

I just asked one of my seven (!) Echo devices, and it started by saying, "here's something I found on Amazon Customer Service..."

It went on to give me an excruciatingly detailed list - e.g., Echo Dot, third generation, sandstone...
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

I have precisely zero Echo devices. No need for me to ask anyone.

Zero is the optimal number for me.
celia

Post by celia »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:37 pm This is very odd indeed.
We don't have Alexa or any Echo devices, so we can't play. :(
We don’t have Alexa or Echo either, but when I asked, I heard silence. It would have really freaked me out if I had heard a voice with the same response. :o

The second time I asked, I heard myself saying ‘0’. This is the correct answer for us :!:

What a dork I am!
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

If you don't have Alexa....who did you ask?

:confused :confused :confused
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

000 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:30 pm What if you ask it "Alexa, how does bogleheads.org know how many Echo devices I have?".
I asked and her response was "Hmmm, l'm not sure."

(She's not going to give away the secret!)
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

drk wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:33 pm Today is an Amazon device launch day, which includes several new Alexa products.
A google search indicates this is true. Amazon did launch their new devices today.

I'm ordinarily not overly suspicious....sorry, but I have to wonder about how this first post by a new poster ended up here today.

Post by 000 »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:53 pm
000 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:30 pm What if you ask it "Alexa, how does bogleheads.org know how many Echo devices I have?".
I asked and her response was "Hmmm, l'm not sure."

Or maybe she can't comprehend the sheer biological computing power of the forum :D
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Listen again.

It actually says "Here's something I found on the Web: according to Bogleheads.org, we have three Echo devices."

It's not actually responding with how many you have. It found something on the web indicating that three types of Echo devices exist in Amazon's lineup. Or it found something on Bogleheads that uses the term three in connection with Echo devices and house. It incorrectly matched that answer up with your question.

For me, three is an incorrect answer.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

I’m glad to have zero Echo devices and the less Amazon knows about me the better.

Amazon is trash.
relativeworld

Post by relativeworld »

JoeRetire wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:00 pm Listen again.

It actually says "Here's something I found on the Web: according to Bogleheads.org, we have three Echo devices."

It's not actually responding with how many you have. It found something on the web indicating that three types of Echo devices exist in Amazon's lineup. Or it found something on Bogleheads that uses the term three in connection with Echo devices and house. It incorrectly matched that answer up with your question.

For me, three is an incorrect answer.
This is fun! I don't have an Echo device and can't verify. But if you search "Echo" in the Bogleheads search field, first thread that comes up is viewtopic.php?t=297045, and the eighth reply down (and the first one that gives an exact count) says "we have three in the house." Why Alexa decided that that was the best reference, however, remains a mystery.
DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:53 pm I asked and her response was "Hmmm, l'm not sure."
If Alexa is reading Bogleheads, she should know the answer is ALWAYS
"A gently used three-year-old Toyota".
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

retiredjg wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:59 pm
drk wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:33 pm Today is an Amazon device launch day, which includes several new Alexa products.
A google search indicates this is true. Amazon did launch their new devices today.

I'm ordinarily not overly suspicious....sorry, but I have to wonder about how this first post by a new poster ended up here today.
+1

Whether true or not, this bears resemblance to something a troll or prankster would do. Then again maybe LadyGeek's post is right.
Frankieg48336

Post by Frankieg48336 »

I'm guessing the Amazon smile program that gives proceeds to bogleheads.org. The url is embedded in your Amazon site or cookies.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Sorry, but the Amazon smile program goes to the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy. The Bogle Center then provides funds to the site. See: Supporting the Bogleheads

I don't know about Alexa, but google can now answer the question.

Google search as how many echo device do i have bogleheads (note I spelled it as "device", not "devices")

The first answer is an unambiguous big, bold "three Echo devices" with a box around it. That settles it, no question.

You can thank our friendly little Google [Bot] web crawler 🕷️ for feeding the thread to Google. Google then uses highly complex artificial intelligence algorithms to arrive at the correct answer.

Update: Added info about site donations.
celia

Post by celia »

retiredjg wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:52 pm If you don't have Alexa....who did you ask?

:confused :confused :confused
I spoke and listened to my own echo!
Frankieg48336

Post by Frankieg48336 »

Lady geek the roboto detective.
Why is blade runner in my head now.