iOS 14 Battery drain on iPhone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
wander

iOS 14 Battery drain on iPhone

Post by wander »

After upgrading my Iphone software to IOS 14, it drains the battery quickly. Even if the phone is plugged and charged, with hotspot, battery level is dropping.
lthenderson

Re: iOS 14 Beta Battery drain on iPhone

Post by lthenderson »

I suspect you have an older phone? With every update, my iPhone 6 battery drains faster and faster. These days it is good for about 20 minutes of use before it goes from 100% to 0%. I even replaced the battery last year and initially it did last a lot longer but a year later it is worse than it was before even though the battery health meter still says it is in great shape. The new software just isn't optimized for older architecture.

Check your battery health in your settings also.
Conch55

Re: iOS 14 Battery drain on iPhone

Post by Conch55 »

I have read after installation of a major upgrade (13->14) iOS does a bunch of background updating which puts a load on the battery. I also know from experience (12->13 upgrade) that battery drain was a significant problem for me. Things settled down once Apple provided a software fix. I don't generally install the first release of a new iOS version because of that.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Conch55 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:06 am I have read after installation of a major upgrade (13->14) iOS does a bunch of background updating which puts a load on the battery. I also know from experience (12->13 upgrade) that battery drain was a significant problem for me. Things settled down once Apple provided a software fix. I don't generally install the first release of a new iOS version because of that.
+1
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

^^

I did the update earlier this week, and left it on the wireless charger for most of the day. The phone was warm when I'd use it, indicating it was busy.

Back to normal now.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

Ooohh I didn't realize iOS 14 is already out. Thank you for beta testing. I don't usually install until the x.x.1 version.

I did notice my daughter's phone refused to charge even after plugging in. Apparently Optimized Battery Charging was enabled. Which made sense so we left it enabled.

You might get more help by giving us more information about what phone you have and what kind of discharge rate you are seeing.
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

In their infinite wisdom, Apple elected to eliminate the ability to turn off the personal Hotspot function in iOS 14. That won't help battery life.

The Voice over WiFi function in iOS 14 is markedly less reliable than in prior releases, although that's not what you asked about.
Topic Author
wander

Post by wander »

I have an older phone 7 Plus. It didn't suffer battery issues during previous software updates. I think it's just a bug and hopefully Apple will fix it, otherwise, it's time to move on with new gen phones. Like Conch55 states, maybe there are many activities going on in background app. After turning off the background App refresh, the battery level is now improving and getting positive charge (% counting shows moving up). Thanks!
Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 »

I usually put my phone on battery saver mode which prevents background updating
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

I had to free up space on my iPhone 6s for IOS 14.

Battery been getting lots of use since WFH.

I may upgrade to a newer IPhone in near future.
AWCM

Post by AWCM »

My new Iphone SE was draining fast after installing 14. Found that the Waze app was causing it even when not in use. Deleted the app and drain was back to normal. After a couple of days I reinstalled it. A day later it did it again so I deleted it again. Guess I'll wait for an update.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Go to Settings > Battery

Investigate what is using the battery. Check battery health.

Last 24 hours. Last 10 days.

It might be a troubled app.

I have an XS Max. No issues after IOS 14 upgrade.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

This is a fairly common issue after a major update. My understanding is that some of the problem may be apps working in the background as a result of the change, and that the issue often resolves itself after a time (often after most of the apps have been updated for the new os).
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Voltaire2.0 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:31 am In their infinite wisdom, Apple elected to eliminate the ability to turn off the personal Hotspot function in iOS 14. That won't help battery life.

The Voice over WiFi function in iOS 14 is markedly less reliable than in prior releases, although that's not what you asked about.
My Hotspot is Off. If I enable "Allow Others To Join", then Hotspot is on.

XS Max here. Are you seeing a different option in Hotspot?
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
John Z

Post by John Z »

Search youtube for saving battery life on iphone. I did this a couple of years ago and was amazed how many functions the phone performs at all times. You should go through these and turn off what you don't want or need. By doing this it gave me several more days of battery life.
Topic Author
wander

Post by wander »

I've found out that my charger output is only 1.1 Amp. I've never had this battery drain issue until the arrival of IOS 14 so I still like to blame the IOS for battery drain. In the mean time, my solution is to throw away the old USB chargers and switch to 2.4 Amp chargers. This improves the problem right away, battery level is moving upwardly. Before that, low battery warning kept popping up. :D
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Voltaire2.0 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:31 am In their infinite wisdom, Apple elected to eliminate the ability to turn off the personal Hotspot function in iOS 14. That won't help battery life.
I have iOS 14 and my Hotspot toggle is off.
Topic Author
wander

Post by wander »

It looks like Apple find lots of bugs in IOS 14, so they've just released 14.0.1. It's a 4.7 Gigabyte for a minor update but seems to fix the battery drain problem in my phone.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

wander wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:29 am It looks like Apple find lots of bugs in IOS 14, so they've just released 14.0.1. It's a 4.7 Gigabyte for a minor update but seems to fix the battery drain problem in my phone.
This is why I wait to install major feature updates in Windows and iOS.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.