Smoker next door

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Helo80

Re: Smoker next door

Post by Helo80 »

What I'd do is probably talk to the HOA board and see if the homeowners are cool. If they're jerks, then consider the industrial fan route.

Maybe the smokers are cool and sensitive to your use of your deck as well, and something can be worked out.

I don't smoke, but sometimes people treat smokers as second-class citizens (not you or anybody else on this thread... just in general).
cincyinvestor

Post by cincyinvestor »

I have to imagine from a risk potential of fire goes way up if your neighbor in a connected unit is a regular smoker...
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

mak1277 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:58 am
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:23 am fences make good neighbors. it's unfortunate to think that way but alas, civility is dead. also the notion of freedom is lost on most. people think they can do whatever they want. truth is you have have the right to do what you want provided you're not infringing upon my rights. I look at others blowing second hand smoke (which some studies have shown to be more harmful than first hand smoke) to be an infringement upon my rights.
“He said, ‘Your right to throw a punch stops where my nose begins,'” said Chapman. “I think that’s very apropos for the smoking issue.”

source: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/10/1 ... fist-nose/
Your theory is fine, except punching someone is illegal, while smoking near someone is not.
true, but it should be considering second hand smoke kills.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:56 pm
mak1277 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:58 am
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:23 am fences make good neighbors. it's unfortunate to think that way but alas, civility is dead. also the notion of freedom is lost on most. people think they can do whatever they want. truth is you have have the right to do what you want provided you're not infringing upon my rights. I look at others blowing second hand smoke (which some studies have shown to be more harmful than first hand smoke) to be an infringement upon my rights.
“He said, ‘Your right to throw a punch stops where my nose begins,'” said Chapman. “I think that’s very apropos for the smoking issue.”

source: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/10/1 ... fist-nose/
Your theory is fine, except punching someone is illegal, while smoking near someone is not.
true, but it should be considering second hand smoke kills.
And that's a perfectly reasonable thing to believe. You just can't act as if your belief made it illegal.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

As a former smoker, I can tell you without a doubt that a fan is going to do almost nothing from the smell perspective. Smoke is going to drift with the wind regardless of where you put a fan. My neighbor smokes out back. She is a good 75 to 100 feet from my deck and I can still smell it unless she is down wind.

I would have a conversation with your neighbor and see if you can work something out. Most smokers aren't trying to be rude.

This is reason # 2376 why I will do whatever I can to not live in a condo.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

Mr.BB wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:40 am Put a fan up..Just enough speed to stop the smoke from going on to your side.
Do this. Perhaps they will get the hint. If not and they have no desire to accommodate you after they see this (smokers NEVER do) then I'd be finding another place to live as drastic as that seems. I'd have very little tolerance for this and if there is nothing the association can do it's time to go.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I did not think it is reasonable to ask them not to smoke on their deck. However, is there a time period that is more important to you than others? For instance, If my neighbor asked my to refrain from smoking on the deck from 6-7 pm each day, I would consider that to be a reasonable request.

I do think that a wall of tall plants can lower the peak of the smell. So can a few of the right kind of candles. Never tried Febreeze outside but it can knock down the smell of past smoke inside.
goingup

Post by goingup »

clip651 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:25 pm
MrBobcat wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:16 pm Honestly I'd just let it go. People are annoying, the closer you live to them the more annoying they are. If I had to live right next to someone I'd choose having friendly relations even though they had annoying habits vs hostile relations and still annoying habits.
Well said!

cj
I agree. Once I got to know my neighbors their habits stopped annoying me. I'm not sure if empathy takes over, but you realize people are just living their lives and aren't intentionally being inconsiderate.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

time to move!
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

Cardi B on a portable bluetooth speaker on your patio should do the trick.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

barnaclebob wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:50 am Well their life expediencies will be much shorter than yours so it might just be a waiting game.

I wouldn't bet on that: pretty much all countries in Europe have much higher rates of smoking AND life expectancy comparing to US.
Smoking does not have a strong impact compared with the rest of lifestyle choices.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

mptfan wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:35 pm
stan1 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:07 am Why can't you talk to them and ask them to smoke elsewhere?
Lol. Sure, the OP *could* do that, but I don't think it would go over well. A condo resident has the right to smoke on their own patio and I doubt any smoker would see it otherwise.
Depends on local law.

E.g., https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... -home.html
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

thirdman wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:00 am When we took a cruise to Alaska we had a balcony. The air was pristine and the scenery spectacular. On the adjacent balcony was a cigar smoker. Instead of sitting on the balcony in our robes, we dressed and went up on deck.

Not much else you can do. Smokers smoke.
I would not book a cruise on a ship that doesn’t limit smoking to certain designated areas on the deck. And I certainly wouldn’t book on a ship that allowed smoking on balconies.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=225

And the OP’s dilemma is a reminder to never buy a condo.
anoop

Post by anoop »

lostdog wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:00 am Ask them politely to smoke somewhere else because you're allergic to tobacco smoke.

If this doesn't work, bring it up with your HOA people and see what they suggest. If they can't do anything then move.

We live in a bottom floor apartment. We have heel stompers above us we've been dealing with for a year and the apartment manager cannot do much with heel stompers. Our lease is up next month and we're moving to a townhouse. We're excited.

We feel bad for the next tenants. We're hoping the next tenants will be less forgiving and give the upstair heel stompers grief.
Noise and ZIRP are the biggest reasons I bought a house even though I didn't care to own. I think it's strange that apartments have such poor noise insulation that you can hear neighbors above, below and to your sides. I wonder if this is true of the $1M+ condos in high rise building with $1000+/mo HOA dues.
Tiny Portfolio

Post by Tiny Portfolio »

Get a smoker grill and fight back with brisket, and ribs.

Smoke them out, nicely
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

anoop wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:12 pm
lostdog wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:00 am Ask them politely to smoke somewhere else because you're allergic to tobacco smoke.

If this doesn't work, bring it up with your HOA people and see what they suggest. If they can't do anything then move.

We live in a bottom floor apartment. We have heel stompers above us we've been dealing with for a year and the apartment manager cannot do much with heel stompers. Our lease is up next month and we're moving to a townhouse. We're excited.

We feel bad for the next tenants. We're hoping the next tenants will be less forgiving and give the upstair heel stompers grief.
Noise and ZIRP are the biggest reasons I bought a house even though I didn't care to own. I think it's strange that apartments have such poor noise insulation that you can hear neighbors above, below and to your sides. I wonder if this is true of the $1M+ condos in high rise building with $1000+/mo HOA dues.
I assume investors/landlords do it to save on costs.

In this apartment building we don't hear the side tenants. The stairwell going to the apartment above us has poor noise insulation. We can hear them talking when they're near the stairwell. We haven't bothered to address their heel stomping. We're just going to move.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Look on the bright side, at least you don't have a clogging problem...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Hi7NzFEOI
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

260chrisb wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:32 pm
Mr.BB wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:40 am Put a fan up..Just enough speed to stop the smoke from going on to your side.
Do this. Perhaps they will get the hint. If not and they have no desire to accommodate you after they see this (smokers NEVER do) then I'd be finding another place to live as drastic as that seems. I'd have very little tolerance for this and if there is nothing the association can do it's time to go.
The key is don't crank the fan up, just enough to keep the smoke on their side. I would actually put the fan on the opposite side of your deck so it's actually less intrusive but still gets the job done.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Kelrex

Post by Kelrex »

Get on the condo board and pass a no smoking rule?
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

Collect dog feces and lay it on some black plastic. Use your fan to blow it their way. They will either go inside or ask you about the smell. Reply would be" funny you mention smells, how about those cigarettes you smoke"
ADAMNOGGI

Post by ADAMNOGGI »

mak1277 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:30 am Next week's post: "I've been living in this condo happily for the last decade. Now my new neighbors have installed a loud, annoying fan that inhibits my use of my own personal deck. Do I have any recourse?"
Yes. Quit smoking.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

cincyinvestor wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:47 pm I have to imagine from a risk potential of fire goes way up if your neighbor in a connected unit is a regular smoker...
It certainly might! :twisted:

I kid. I kid.
Watty

Post by Watty »

One thing to check on is to see if the condo next door is rented.

If so the landlord might not allow smoking even on the patio.

Of course getting the landlord involved could very well start up a feud with the neighbor especially if you did not try talking to them first.

Post by 123 »

Is there a local or state ordinance that regulates smoking? Some ordinance includes provisions related to residents of multi-unit housing complexes including apartments and condos.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Concrete floors stop noise from above and below. It's unusual in the US unless the building is greater than 6 stories .
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:04 pm
cincyinvestor wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:47 pm I have to imagine from a risk potential of fire goes way up if your neighbor in a connected unit is a regular smoker...
It certainly might! :twisted:

I kid. I kid.
https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research/ ... -Materials
One in 20 home (5%) home structure fires were started by smoking materials. These fires caused almost one in four (23%) home fire deaths, and one in 10 (10%) home fire injuries.
Smoking was the leading cause of home fire deaths for the five year period of 2012-2016. Overall, one of every 31 home smoking material fires resulted in death.
The leading area of origin for home smoking fires in 2012-2016 was an exterior balcony or open porch (18%).
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

American building standards are very low, but that is not true only for apartments and condos. SFHs have very bad noise insulation. This problems is dealt with a brute force approach: put the noise source far away in a 3000sq ft house and put the house far away in the suburbs. We all know the costs of this method.
Owning a SFH made of plywood is a problem but most people get over it. However an apartment building of wood and plywood is unacceptable.
Last edited by Starfish on Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anoop

Post by anoop »

hicabob wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:17 pm Concrete floors stop noise from above and below. It's unusual in the US unless the building is greater than 6 stories .
Good to know. My ideal house would be a single floor condo, but it seems like to get decent insulation in a condo one would have to go really high end (which is usually in city centers) making a single family house a bargain in comparison.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Starfish wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:25 pm American building standards are very low, but that is not true only for apartments and condos. SFHs have very bad noise insulation. This problems is dealt with a brute force approach: put the noise source far away in a 3000sq ft house and put the house far away in the suburbs. We all know the costs of this method.
True. I am in a typical new construction (5 years old) suburban subdivision (low walkability score) and in the mornings my neighbor is often in their backyard yelling at their grandkids and I can hear it even though my doors and windows are all shut. Same for neighbors that occasionally play loud music or having kids playing in their backyard pool. I also hear every lawnmower and leafblower, not to mention the garbage truck even though I'm in the back of the house.

I am easily upset by noise (sensitive) and don't like the idea of headphones and ear plugs and it seems like the only way to get decent silence would be to move to a rural area.

I wish sound insulation were better.

(Looks like I am hijacking this thread, so I will refrain from any more posts on this subject.)
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic is locked (neighbor issue).