How big is the used class B RV bubble?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MikeZ

How big is the used class B RV bubble?

Post by MikeZ »

Ive been thinking of a class B RV. Likely a sprinter based on. I know that prices have gone up and supply is down but I don't know how much on the used market.

Im just trying to get a sence for how much I might overpay vs. a year ago.
tibbitts

Re: How big is the used class B RV bubble?

Post by tibbitts »

MikeZ wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:26 pm Ive been thinking of a class B RV. Likely a sprinter based on. I know that prices have gone up and supply is down but I don't know how much on the used market.

Overpaying is kind of a class B feature, new or used, but what difference does it make what prices were a year ago? If you're looking at a used Sprinter I I assume you're looking at one of the early-generation diesels, in which case the age of the unit will limit the prices somewhat.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

tibbitts wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:01 am
MikeZ wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:26 pm Ive been thinking of a class B RV. Likely a sprinter based on. I know that prices have gone up and supply is down but I don't know how much on the used market.

Overpaying is kind of a class B feature, new or used, but what difference does it make what prices were a year ago? If you're looking at a used Sprinter I assume you're looking at one of the early-generation diesels, in which case the age of the unit will limit the prices somewhat.
Topic Author
MikeZ

Post by MikeZ »

tibbitts wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:01 am

Overpaying is kind of a class B feature, new or used, but what difference does it make what prices were a year ago? If you're looking at a used Sprinter I I assume you're looking at one of the early-generation diesels, in which case the age of the unit will limit the prices somewhat.
I want to get a sense for how much I would be paying up right now vs. waiting when things die down?
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Consulting crystal ball, be right back....
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Wait two years.
Unless you want to buy and use one now - then buy now, enjoy it, and consider it a "use tax" ;)
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

OP,

Only time will really answer your question.

FWIW, I own a PleasureWay Class B and would be happy to answer any questions you have based on our experiences. Feel free to PM me.

We are very glad we purchased the RV in 2018 but:
- We had a good idea of how we wanted to travel and use the RV
- It was pricey
- Designed and built very well
- Uses many standard RV components (Refrigerator, Heater, Hot Water, etc.) with varying warranties.
- Therebis a learning curve to understanding the components and how they integrate.

WoodSpinner
mkc

Post by mkc »

We usually are quite active RVers (have been for over 20 years) and currently own a Sprinter-based C (C being body added to a cutaway chassis; true B is one that has the original van shell. B+ is just a marketing term dealers came up with to distinguish the smaller units from the traditional E450-based C's).

Either way, from all indications on the RV groups I follow, there is definitely a bubble going on and a much higher-than-normal interest in the smaller units. I am seeing used 2017 units such as ours selling for what we paid for them new (which was about $10K off list at the time). Much of this interest is from folks who have never RV'd before (I see questions about which Sprinter-based will comfortably sleep and seatbelt a family of 4, two of whom are in car seats. Answer - none safely). Most experienced RVers think the bubble will burst in about 18 months to 2 years.

If a B (or Sprinter-C) is right for you, do your research into the brands. They are not all created equal. Understand OCCC limits (occupant and cargo carrying capacity) - some leave little weight remaining for "stuff". If you are not familiar with RVs, understand that they are not sold with the same business model as cars and trucks. Dealers are generally under no obligation to provide warranty service if you didn't purchase from that dealer, and if they do agree to provide warranty service, you will be much lower priority than a customer who bought from them. Service is an "unpleasant evil" for most dealers - they prefer to sell units, not service them. Complete opposite of automotive dealers. iRV2.com is a good place to start. Sprintersource.com's forum specifically for Sprinter-based brands and issues.
grettman

Post by grettman »

Do you have a need for it now?

If not, I advise pay no bill before its time...