stand up freezer for garage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
justsaying

stand up freezer for garage

Post by justsaying »

We want a stand up freezer for our garage. We bought a GE from Lowes with a scheduled delivery but now are just getting the runaround. I know there are delays, at least for some makers and products. We are willing to wait a reasonable time, size and brand are negotiable, 15-22 cu ft would be OK.

Suggestions?

Re: stand up freezer for garage

Post by 123 »

How large is your refrigerator/freezer in your home? How old is it? Would you be better off replacing your primary refrigerator with one that has a larger freezer or do you really need that much freezer capacity? Are you a hunter?
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
sport

Post by sport »

If your area gets very cold in the winter, be sure any freezer you buy will operate properly at the lowest temperature you expect to have in the garage. There should be a specification for this for any unit you consider.
CABob

Post by CABob »

A number of years ago we thought we wanted a freezer in the garage. While we were busy procrastinating we decided we wanted a new kitchen refer. When we purchased it we moved the old one to the garage and used it for its freezer plus refrigerated item such as beverages and other items. It provided the additional freezer capacity plus room for refrigerated items. It worked out well for us and here it is 20 years later and we still have a garage refrigerator (replaced a couple of times generally with a low end model with not many bells and whistles).
I only mention to ask whether you really need a freezer or would an extra refrigerator do the job?
Bob
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

justsaying wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:33 pm We want a stand up freezer for our garage. We bought a GE from Lowes with a scheduled delivery but now are just getting the runaround. I know there are delays, at least for some makers and products. We are willing to wait a reasonable time, size and brand are negotiable, 15-22 cu ft would be OK.

Suggestions?
Top open large rectangle style is typically more efficient and reliable. Had ours for 27 years. Remember, cold air sinks
btenny

Post by btenny »

DW and I are in the market for a new regular home refrigerator. We are being told by multiple vendors delivery is 6-12 weeks. And some models are listed as available but may be discontinued. Inventories are not correct in many cases. No one knows what they have or can deliver. The issue is Covid 19. The Chinese and Korean suppliers are saying they are only building at 50% or so capacity due to worker spacing and Covid 19 issues. So deliveries are spaced out and everyone must wait.

In our case our old refrigerator is not working well so we really need a new unit now. We are not sure what to do. We moved all our frozen stuff to my nieces freezer. She needs the space and we cannot leave our food there forever. She lives 15 miles away across town. And us doing daily shopping is not safe with Covid 19 risks.

Our world is not set up for Covid 19. My son has been looking for a nice new high end bicycle since June. Supplies were limited at shops near him so he could not find what he wanted. And several shops would not tell him delivery dates if he ordered from the factory. So he resorted to Ebay and Craigslist. He finally found he wanted on Ebay this week. And he had to pay almost new price for a used bike. Covid 19 shortages....

Good Luck.
chw

Post by chw »

I would avoid using freezer in garage due to extreme temp swings. Also, fumes from your auto may linger in the air (not to mention other stored items) from a parked auto which would circulate to your food when the freezer door is opened.
long_drink

Post by long_drink »

We've had a standup Frigidaire in our garage for a few years and it's been working great. We're in Texas, so it certainly gets hot in the summers and can get below freezing in the winters. Chest freezers can be more efficient, but we're not opening it all the time and we wanted it to be easy to find things.

We just recently had to buy a new refrigerator/freezer for our kitchen and we bought through Best Buy. They had better pricing and different options than Home Depot and Lowes and we were happy with how the delivery and haul-away went. I'd say they're worth look.
egrets

Post by egrets »

I bought a new dishwasher from a good local appliance store and they were able to find out what they had in stock in their warehouse.

At my age, I would prefer a garage freezer that I had to do minimal bending over to get stuff out of. I would also think it would be easier to find stuff in an upright freezer with a vertical door, if they sell such things.
KoolAid

Post by KoolAid »

Try Home Depot - I ordered at 15 cu. stand up Frigidaire on 9/12 and had it delivered last Friday.

Lowes online website sucks! (Even with a 10% discount!)
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

If you do place a freezer in the garage, make sure that it is not plugged into the GFI on the wall. If you have a ground fault without losing power, you might lose all that is in the freezer without knowing it. We had to plug the freezer in the garage into a ceiling outlet used for the garage doors.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

chipperd wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:18 pm
justsaying wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:33 pm We want a stand up freezer for our garage. We bought a GE from Lowes with a scheduled delivery but now are just getting the runaround. I know there are delays, at least for some makers and products. We are willing to wait a reasonable time, size and brand are negotiable, 15-22 cu ft would be OK.

Suggestions?
Top open large rectangle style is typically more efficient and reliable. Had ours for 27 years. Remember, cold air sinks
+1, chest freezers are efficient. One unanticipated plus was that the smooth and durable interior sides allow us to just use an automotive ice scraper for easy defrosting. Growing up, my parents had an upright freezer that accumulated frost in the wire shelving grills, which meant a long process to manually defrost it.

Self-defrosting upright freezers exist now, but consumer reports had some reservations about them:
...But self-defrost freezers allow temperatures to rise temporarily, which might compromise performance...
Self-defrost uprights tend to be noisy and may cost more to run. They also allow more air to circulate around food, making food more likely to get freezer burn. In our power failure simulation, all uprights allowed a relatively large temperature uptick after only 9 hours.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/fre ... /index.htm
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

I think the delays are bad everywhere.

I ordered a basic fridge/freezer from Costco in July and it was supposed to deliver the next week but got rescheduled or no-showed many times and only recently arrived. I think it was the distribution center or delivery teams fault, not costco itself.

I considered canceling and ordering elsewhere and looked many times but couldn't find anything in stock anywhere.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Upright freezers are very commonly used in garages since very few homes can accommodate them inside apart from a basement. We've had a freezer (first chest and now upright) in our garage for years with no problems at all. However, if you live in a very humid area, be prepared for it to rust significantly over a matter of around five years. It will still operate, but this will very likely reduce its lifespan.

We ordered a refrigerator from Lowe's back in July, and we didn't get it for about six weeks. The gentleman who helped us at the time said that refrigerators or freezers ordered after Labor Day could take multiple months to be delivered. Sourcing parts is a big part of the problem, reduced output by the producers is another issue, and demand seems to be higher than normal. Some colors/finishes are simply unavailable until further notice.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

We bought the largest upright freezer we could find in mid 2019 because the freezer section in the garage refrigerator was too small. It has worked out terrific and reduced our trips to town for groceries.

As stated by an earlier post, the GFCI receptacles can be "touchy" if they are old and worn. We found out the hard way.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
vested1

Post by vested1 »

15 to 22 cu ft seems like overkill unless you have a large family to feed. We have a Kenmore Elite side by side fridge with 10.7 cu ft freezer space but needed more than that to limit the number of grocery shopping excursions. We bought a 6.5 cubic ft Thompson freezer at Sam's club and put it in the upstairs garage. We haven't noticed a spike in our electric bill since it was placed. We live in the south where summer temps and humidity are brutal, and in the winter the temperature drops below freezing for a couple of months. The garage is not air conditioned.

The freezer has performed well and gives us just the right amount of space that enables us to limit grocery shopping to about half of what was required previously. We bought it on sale for less than $200, but the current price is $229 (when it's in stock). A larger upright would have taken up too much space in the garage and would have cost three times as much.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/6-9-upright- ... od22200542
mhc

Post by mhc »

I have had an upright non-frost-free freezer in my garage for 15+ years. An upright is much easier to use. It also has a smaller footprint. The freezer is right next to the electrical panel, so I installed a dedicated non-gfi circuit for the freezer. I also have a battery operated thermometer that sits on top of the freezer with a wired remote sensor that is inside the freezer. The freezer is right next to the door for the house. Every time I walk out to the garage I can easily see the temperature in the freezer.

Having the freezer in the garage is very convenient for going straight from the car to the freezer, especially if you have a quarter steer. It also is nice for defrosting. I live where the temperatures can range from -20F to 100F. My garage usually stays between 32F and 95F. This has not seemed to be a problem for the freezer. I bought an inexpensive model from Home Depot.

Having a deep freeze is so nice. One can stock up when there are sales. Also, we always have something on hand.
hnd

Post by hnd »

We have a large upright in the garage, and old top freezer fridge in the garage and a chest freezer in the basement. the garage fridge doesn't like fridgid temperatures but we put a heater in the garage and now it stays around 40 in there at all times.

the only issue we ran into with the standup fridge would be the kids not shutting it all the way in the summer. it wouldn't thaw but it would work so hard that it would shut down. we now have a temp alarm in it.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

CABob wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:16 pm A number of years ago we thought we wanted a freezer in the garage. While we were busy procrastinating we decided we wanted a new kitchen refer. When we purchased it we moved the old one to the garage and used it for its freezer plus refrigerated item such as beverages and other items. It provided the additional freezer capacity plus room for refrigerated items. It worked out well for us and here it is 20 years later and we still have a garage refrigerator (replaced a couple of times generally with a low end model with not many bells and whistles).
I only mention to ask whether you really need a freezer or would an extra refrigerator do the job?
That's what I did also. I don't use the fridge part much, but it was free and is handy when entertaining a large number of people and for bottled water, beer, and things like that. One benefit almost no standalone freezers have is the fridge in the garage has an additional ice maker which is also handy when entertaining. I bought an adapter to connect the garage hose spigot to the fridge. I don't have a garage kit on the fridge, but haven't had any issues. The garage is attached and doesn't freeze but does get in the upper 30s.

I haven't looked because I am not in the market for a freezer, but given what is going on I would 1) if you don't really need the freezer now, wait until supply increases or 2) not be picky and just take what you can easily get.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

mhc wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:00 am I also have a battery operated thermometer that sits on top of the freezer with a wired remote sensor that is inside the freezer. The freezer is right next to the door for the house. Every time I walk out to the garage I can easily see the temperature in the freezer.
Got a link to the sensor you use?
hnd wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:39 am it wouldn't thaw but it would work so hard that it would shut down. we now have a temp alarm in it.
Got a link to the alarm you use?
Topic Author
justsaying

Post by justsaying »

Original poster here: Thanks for the replies. Not sure I can answer all. I'm not a hunter, but if meat keeps going up that could change :D . We want to be able to minimize trips to the grocery this winter, and maybe buy meat, etc., straight from the farmer. We were looking for 18 cu ft or so, but Lowes only found the 21 cu ft model, and it was the last freezer they had in stock. (Turns out it was maybe not really in stock.) It's the garage so size is flexible.

We have an old top freezer/bottom fidge in the garage. (We inherited it with the house.) We use the fridge occasionally and the freezer is usually full. We have problems with it turning off in the winter, so a garage ready freezer would be helpful.

I can't seem to get Lowe's to call me back, so I am interested in hearing about dealers who actually follow up.

Thanks again.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

justsaying wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:19 pm I can't seem to get Lowe's to call me back, so I am interested in hearing about dealers who actually follow up.
Many retailers simply don't have enough staff right now, so this isn't an issue unique in any way to Lowe's. I would recommend actually visiting local retailers, including independent appliance dealers, to look at units. If you don't mind a few dings, you might want to check out appliance stores that specialize in dinged units, which can be significantly less costly than unmarred units.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

One idea: Eat less meat, skip the freezer.

:mrgreen:
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
egrets

Post by egrets »

bloom2708 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:40 pm One idea: Eat less meat, skip the freezer.

I'm a vegetarian, but there's plenty of stuff in my freezer. Loaves of bread, vegetables, Amy's, Sweet Earth, Lean Cuisine fettuccine alfredo (almost impossible to get it seems, why...), Alexia sweet potato fries, Morningstar fake bacon and fake sausage, pizza, ice cream, pies, etc.
hnd

Post by hnd »

ddurrett896 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:26 am
mhc wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:00 am I also have a battery operated thermometer that sits on top of the freezer with a wired remote sensor that is inside the freezer. The freezer is right next to the door for the house. Every time I walk out to the garage I can easily see the temperature in the freezer.
hnd wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:39 am it wouldn't thaw but it would work so hard that it would shut down. we now have a temp alarm in it.
https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Refrige ... 977&sr=8-3
hnd

Post by hnd »

bloom2708 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:40 pm One idea: Eat less meat, skip the freezer.

hard pass
mhc

Post by mhc »

ddurrett896 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:26 am
It was a cheap one probably off of Amazon that I bought about 15 years ago. I scanned Amazon quickly, but didn't see anything like it. Sorry.