Hauling Heavy Load in Trunk of Car: Advice, please.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cruise

Hauling Heavy Load in Trunk of Car: Advice, please.

Post by Cruise »

I have an Infiniti M37. I have to place 230 lbs of weight in the trunk. According to my research, my car is rated to haul about 1K of weight. My weight brings the total to less than 50% of the limit.

Should I anticipate any problems in hauling this weight, and is there any mitigation measures I should take? My tires are filled as recommended.

Many thanks.
hudson

Re: Hauling Heavy Load in Trunk of Car: Advice, please.

Post by hudson »

I don't see a problem. I think that you are good to go.
squirm

Post by squirm »

That's not very heavy. That's about having 5 packs of 40 water bottles.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

You might check the manual to see if it indicates any limits. Usually there is a roof limit, but I don't recall ever seeing a trunk limit indicated.

I've moved landscaping blocks in my Civic, right up to the load rating listed on the capacity stick on the driver's door sill. I put some on the floor in the passenger foot space to spread the load out as a precaution, but I probably had 400 pounds in the trunk.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

You will have no issue. Kind of be like a 230lb passenger only in the trunk.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

230 lb is not heavy at all.

There are a lot of Americans way fatter than 230 lb that drive around in similar cars every day before filling the trunk.

Post by 123 »

If it's 230 pounds of dead weight it shouldn't be a problem. We see it in gangster movies all the time.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

Every once in a while, I'll see a 20+ year old car titled to the left (driver's side lower), because the driver is so overweight. The shocks/struts probably have 100-200k miles on them and have never been replaced.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

That’s not even close to the weight limit in that car.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Cruise wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:29 pm I have an Infiniti M37. I have to place 230 lbs of weight in the trunk. According to my research, my car is rated to haul about 1K of weight. My weight brings the total to less than 50% of the limit.

Should I anticipate any problems in hauling this weight, and is there any mitigation measures I should take? My tires are filled as recommended.

Many thanks.
Think of is another passenger who happens to be a bit above average weight. The biggest things to take into account are stopping distance (extra weight) and handling on twisty roads (weight distribution). In general, to be safe with heavy loads, the best advice is "drive slower."
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
terran

Post by terran »

Would you be concerned about a large man riding in your backseat (or trunk in this case)? Try to center the load in the trunk, and if it has small contact areas (very compact, feet, etc) then maybe put something fairly stiff like boards or a couple of layers of card board underneath so it doesn't damage the carpet or the foam that's probably underneath covering the spare tire. I wouldn't be too worried about it though, 230lbs isn't that heavy.
FireAway

Post by FireAway »

Yeah, that's not that much weight. But, I would place it as far forward in the trunk as possible - get it as close to the axle as you can. A heavy enough weight, far enough back, will unweight the front tires enough to reduce stearability/braking.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

The greater the load, the longer the stopping distance. Also accelerating onto a freeway ramp is slower. But your scenario should lead to a barely noticeable effect.
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

I'd on occasion have my previous G35 ( :( ) trunk so loaded down that the rear suspension was basically fully compressed. For example, when I loaded the entire trunk and backseat with pavers and rock to DIY a patio. I definitely drove slowly and avoided bumps and potholes at all costs, but it was otherwise fine. I can't tell you if it was wise, but it worked.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
Topic Author
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Thanks all for your inputs!

I loaded the body :happy into the trunk and drove to the drop off site with no problems, even stopping for a case of wine to celebrate, which I placed in the back seat. Drove and turned slowly, which helped avoid police detection! :happy

As always, appreciate the thoughtfulness of your advice!
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Mobsters do it all the time :)
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

I would be more concerned about hurting your back getting the heavy load in and out of the trunk.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Being careful of your back is great advice. Especially lifting into and out of a trunk. I love that my Subaru Outback has a flat, and fairly low, floor.
JHU ALmuni

Post by JHU ALmuni »

230 lb is basically like having extra adult in the car, nothing to worry about.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Yep, you’re good to go.

I routinely put way too much weight in the trunk of my car, and have never had a problem. Typically might be 8 bags of concrete, weighing 60 lbs each, so 480 pounds total.

230 should be no problem.
Topic Author
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

RudyS wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:35 pm Being careful of your back is great advice. Especially lifting into and out of a trunk. I love that my Subaru Outback has a flat, and fairly low, floor.
OP here. Thanks for the warning. I actually did tweak my back, but not dealing with the 230 lb cargo. It was that case of wine that did it!