Best shoes for running?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sabhen

Best shoes for running?

Post by sabhen »

I love running. Except the injuries to my knees. I am not looking for medical advice. Are there better shoes or any prior preparations that help mitigate the risk of knee injuries?
Elysium

Re: Best shoes for running?

Post by Elysium »

Here is a review from Runners World on best running shoes.

I am not a runner anymore (cyclist), but in the past I have used Asics. I would consider specialty brands that focus on runners specific needs.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Shoes are incredibly personal. I have NEVER seen any advice asking about running shoes that ever helped me. Besides, one can put inserts into any shoes. If you think you need more heel padding, then silicone heel pad inserts may help. If you think you need more arch support, then that would be a different insert. If you think shoes won't have room for heel inserts, then consider a so-called zero-drop shoe such as Altras.

If your knees continue to hurt, then switch to cycling. Your butt will hurt and take your mind off your knees, but eventually your knees will remodel and stop hurting, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
CyLaw

Post by CyLaw »

sabhen wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:31 am I love running. Except the injuries to my knees. I am not looking for medical advice. Are there better shoes or any prior preparations that help mitigate the risk of knee injuries?
Sorry for the non-answer, but my experience has been that which shoes work best for a person is pretty individual based on things like running experience, how you strike your foot, and the type of ground you run on. Too often I had running store or online folks try to reduce it down to something too simplistic, like do you need stability shoes or not. My foot strike would normally mean I need stability shoes, but in reality they caused me arch issues and blisters and what I personally needed to do was strengthen my ankle and work on my foot strike itself.

Best advice I got was to run with a buddy or running group and asking them to watch my stride and see if they notice anything I didn’t. I also tried a very large range of shoes that I got at stores with good return policies. This helped me dial in the shoe that was right for me. One thing I found was that the same shoe may not be right for me between years (so I often find myself having to reevaluate if I can no longer find the old shoe that worked for me, I also tend to stock up on shoes once I find one that works). Shoe type also changes for me depending on if I am running on roads or trails.

My personal experience has also been to make sure I’m not increasing my mileage too fast and make sure I am also doing some strength training on the related muscles.

Hope you find something that works. Taking up running has been one of the best mental health decisions I made personally and really don’t know where I would be in this current mess of 2020 if I couldn’t get out for a run.
Tim_in_GA

Post by Tim_in_GA »

It depends on the type of knee injury, there are a few types with differing causes. I think you need to address the root cause. For instance, my knee pain is caused by a quad muscle imbalance and tight quads. The kneecap can’t track properly. Stability shoes help to a point but I have to fix the imbalance and stretch to really get any relief. Unfortunately I’m lazy about doing therapy exercises but they do help.
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

livesoft wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:41 am If your knees continue to hurt, then switch to cycling. Your butt will hurt and take your mind off your knees, but eventually your knees will remodel and stop hurting, too.
The butt will stop hurting after while after they harden up :wink:

I don't find them hurting anymore from being on the saddle 4+ hours.
runner540

Post by runner540 »

CyLaw wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:43 am
sabhen wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:31 am I love running. Except the injuries to my knees. I am not looking for medical advice. Are there better shoes or any prior preparations that help mitigate the risk of knee injuries?
Sorry for the non-answer, but my experience has been that which shoes work best for a person is pretty individual based on things like running experience, how you strike your foot, and the type of ground you run on. Too often I had running store or online folks try to reduce it down to something too simplistic, like do you need stability shoes or not. My foot strike would normally mean I need stability shoes, but in reality they caused me arch issues and blisters and what I personally needed to do was strengthen my ankle and work on my foot strike itself.

Best advice I got was to run with a buddy or running group and asking them to watch my stride and see if they notice anything I didn’t. I also tried a very large range of shoes that I got at stores with good return policies. This helped me dial in the shoe that was right for me. One thing I found was that the same shoe may not be right for me between years (so I often find myself having to reevaluate if I can no longer find the old shoe that worked for me, I also tend to stock up on shoes once I find one that works). Shoe type also changes for me depending on if I am running on roads or trails.

My personal experience has also been to make sure I’m not increasing my mileage too fast and make sure I am also doing some strength training on the related muscles.

Hope you find something that works. Taking up running has been one of the best mental health decisions I made personally and really don’t know where I would be in this current mess of 2020 if I couldn’t get out for a run.
+1
Go to a specialty running store and ask them to analyze your gait and try a lot of different shoes. And buy the shoes there, not online, since they are providing the service. Fleet Feet is a national chain and there are lots of independent stores too.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Another piece of advice: buy the shoes from a running store with a good return policy. You want to run in the shoes a bit before you make a final decision.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

The ones which fit you properly and match your foot strike. Find a good running store with knowledgeable staff.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Less miles
Less road

Try running on a track or treadmill to reduce the shock of hard pavement.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

May I ask what is your cadence (steps per minute) when you run?
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I've heard some good things about "Foot Solutions". I haven't tried it yet, sooner or later I will.

I'd like to know what are the shoes with the most room for inserts and best up front cushion. I just cannot get enough padding in the front, perhaps due to metatarsalgia. Even for walking.
tyrnup13

Post by tyrnup13 »

Have you looked into zero drop shoes?
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Go to a running store.

I love my Mizuno Wave Riders.

Running store matched me with those nearly 10-years ago.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Generally you should start with whatever brands “neutral” model unless you have a specific reason to look to their support models. Pick the brand and model that fits you well everywhere - heel, mid foot, plenty of room in the toe box. Each brand tends to have a “house fit” - narrow or wide - large toe box volume or not, spacious or tight mid foot, etc. - hence the importance of trying on a bunch and being able to return them after using them for a bit.

Shoes very rarely prevent injuries in and of themselves - injury free running comes down almost entirely to developing good form. Running is essentially a highly repetitive motion sport. Even tiny flaws in your form - of which the wrong shoes can often exacerbate - can lead to chronic injury in relatively short order. Good runners can run in almost anything from bare feet to the most maximal cushion, because they have great form and are incredibly strong.
hsmith

Post by hsmith »

Lots of good advice above - the right shoes (for you) can make a big difference.

One thing I didn't see mentioned above is the type of surface you're running on. Years ago, I developed runner's knee while training for a marathon. A running doctor (he was a podiatrist) quizzed me about a number of things, and advised me to avoid running on heavily crowned roads, and to run on the flattest part of the road, if possible. That helped me a lot.
anthonyphamy

Post by anthonyphamy »

Second running shoe store whether they help analyze your gait. They can help determine if you pronate or not. It truly does come down to the fit and comfort for you though, so go with your gut. Shoes that have proven me well include Nike Pegasus, Brooks Glycerin, and Asics Kayanos, which generally have more cushion.
jjustice

Post by jjustice »

You say that you don't want medical advice, but you ask about "prior preparations." Are strengthening exercises prior preparations? You need to do knee strengthening exercises three days a week, preferably on running rest days. Good exercises are quadricep extensions, lunges, tulip squats (with a dumbbell held in your palms vertically beneath your chin), and what dancers call fondues. The latter are one-legged squats that let the lowering heel touch down below a step or other short platform.

John
tyrnup13

Post by tyrnup13 »

I think that in addition to shoes, one should also focus on strength training and mobility exercises (for running).
Horton

Post by Horton »

runner3081 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:41 pm Go to a running store.

+1

Wave Riders for me too, but I agree that visiting a running store would be helpful. The best shoe depends on your foot and your mechanics.

I also get a new pair every few months. Drives my wife crazy, but the cushioning wears out pretty quick.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Go to one of the locations at https://www.roadrunnersports.com/ , buy yourself a pair of HOKA sneakers latest model , also ask them to 3D scan your feet and make insoles. Do not get cheap on your feet.
Last edited by Ed 2 on Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

Another vote to go to a running shoe store. There is one near me where the owner and all of the employees are experienced runners. Between me and my kids, we have purchased at least a dozen pairs there, with no problems.
MJS

Post by MJS »

runner540 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:47 am
Go to a specialty running store and ask them to analyze your gait and try a lot of different shoes. And buy the shoes there, not online, since they are providing the service. Fleet Feet is a national chain and there are lots of independent stores too.
+1. A good store and a shoe expert are much more important than selecting a particular brand. Budget $50-$100 for good insoles.

Also, take a look at the soles of your current running shoes: Are the wear-patterns similar on each, or do you have variations between your feet? Do you have more wear on the inside | outside | toe | heel? Inside, is there rubbing against the lining? Take out your old insoles and examine their wear patterns, too. Tell or show the shoe expert.

In terms of fit: Are your ankle bones a millimeter or two lower than average for your shoe size, so the ankle-padding rubs instead of supports? Do you have very narrow heels? Arch location: Do you have very long or very short toes, or is the arch set a little further forward or back than average? High or flat arch, long arch or short arch, or thicker/thinner mid-foot depth?

Always try on each pair of shoes, even if it's the exact same batch-model. Humans still do shoe assembly, and a millimeter here & a millimeter there can make a difference in how they fit!
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

Before thinking about shoes, I suggest picking up a copy of the excellent book “Born to Run” by Christopher Mcdougall. I’m not exaggerating when I say it changed my life, and got me into running a little over a decade ago.

I’m by no means a running expert, but I think there is a misconception that there is no particular skill or technique needed for running. People just go out and run however they have their whole lives. I know I did.

When I first got into running, I worked a little bit with a running coach to develop an appropriate stride, particularly the midfoot strike. I believe this has helped me avoid any injuries after running a couple of marathons and half marathons over the year. The biggest difference when I changed my stride was that the strain was taken off my joints and onto my leg and hip musculature. I was very sore for a few weeks, but great after that for the past decade.

I love running, have fun!
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

I've done a ton of research on this. Shoe fit is highly personal and ultimately is about trial and error. Dedicated running store is a good idea. Buy a dedicated running brand, spend about 100 bucks or so. Brands like Brooks, Saucony, Asics, Mizuno. Stick to "neutral" category. There is no science or evidence based proof for any unorthodox shoe design. It's all marketing. Do not try to change your stride to midfoot or whatever barefoot runner aficionados say. Do not force yourself into a low drop shoe because someone says so, only if you've tried it and liked it. You have a genetically natural gait you should stick to, there is no such thing as an "ideal" gait you should strive for. Do not waste your money on aftermarket insoles. They won't help. Insole recommendations are about profit. If you feel you need one, you're wearing the wrong shoe, or overtraining. 99% of running issues have nothing to do with the shoes. It's usually because the runner is doing too much mileage too quickly. Need to ramp up mileage very very very gradually. It should be so gradual, you're embarrassed. Alternating running and walking is absolutely fine and is a great way to avoid injury. The main thing with shoes is they should fit. Ultimately no one can truly tell you if they fit, you have to go by how it feels, comfort. Gait analysis, video evaluation, wet foot tests, shoe store pressure pads and treadmills and so on, all have no scientific support whatsoever, it's just marketing. There is no scientific support for "stretching" in injury prevention. Cross training with conservative resistance exercises is always a good idea, as a general fitness principle. Ultimately the things that really matter are shoe fit and increasing mileage very gradually. Good luck.
Topic Author
sabhen

Post by sabhen »

livesoft wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:31 am May I ask what is your cadence (steps per minute) when you run?
about 240 steps per min
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

sabhen wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:05 pm
livesoft wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:31 am May I ask what is your cadence (steps per minute) when you run?
about 2000 steps per mile
Try googling songs that correspond to the optimal range of steps per minute (around 180 if I recall). My initial cadence was too slow. I trained myself to run to Umbrella by Rihanna:)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

sabhen wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:05 pm
about 240 steps per min
240 steps per min is an incredibly high cadence. Are you an Olympian racewalker?

You may benefit from a sport/activity watch that tracks cadence, pace, heart rate, GPS, etc.
Topic Author
sabhen

Post by sabhen »

NO I am not an Olympian. Far from it. I run every day on hard surfaces in my neighborhood. I like the feeling after my run and the jump in the pool after a good sweat. I will re-check my cadence tomorrow. What was the point of your question? Thanks a lot for all your input!
Last edited by sabhen on Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ironman

Post by ironman »

If your watch is reporting 240 for your cadence I'm going to guess something is out of calibration. That is insanely high. Some well respected running coaches recommend around 180 steps per minute. In regards to shoes, a lot of good information has already been posted. The mechanics of the human body are highly personal. Most pain from running comes from either over stressing your musculoskeletal system or from weaknesses. There's a lot of good information out there on strengthening routines, I would recommend the Myrtl routine to get started.

I am a fan of Jack Daniels coaching methods. You can pick up a used copy of his third edition marathoning book for a couple bucks online. I buy into his philosophy that every single workout should begin by stating the purpose and objective. Some workouts are for speed, some endurance, some mental toughness, and others for turnover / cadence.

The running and exercise community is full of gadgets and gizmos that are unnecessary. A good plan and a good pair of shoes are all you need.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I wear Brooks Addiction 13 shoes with Aetrex L400 inserts. But as Livesoft states, shoes and shoe fit in particular is very personal. I wouldn't suggest that this combination will work for you.

If you want try and find shoes that fit you well consider joining Zappos VIP program. Shipping is free both ways and returns are no questions asked. If I'm looking to change shoes for some reason I'll often order a couple of styles each in a couple of sizes and if those don't work repeat until I find something I like.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Horton wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:31 pm
runner3081 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:41 pm Go to a running store.

+1

Wave Riders for me too, but I agree that visiting a running store would be helpful. The best shoe depends on your foot and your mechanics.

I also get a new pair every few months. Drives my wife crazy, but the cushioning wears out pretty quick.
I run 22 miles per week and go through 4 pairs per year.

2 pairs at a time, alternating - replace each pair every 6 months.

Always stock up when they hit $70 or less, have 10 new pairs in the closet in boxes.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

sabhen wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:37 pm NO I am not an Olympian. Far from it. I run every day on hard surfaces in my neighborhood. I like the feeling after my run and the jump in the pool after a good sweat. I will re-check my cadence tomorrow. What was the point of your question? Thanks a lot for your all your input!
A reasonable cadence will mean that your waist and upper body are not bobbing up and down at all, so that means there should be less stress on your knees. Each foot, and by extension each knee, will spend very little time in contact with the Earth on each step which is a plus. However, with a slow cadence, each foot will spend more time in contact with the ground, the upper body will bob up and down, and running will be mechanically more stressful than a higher cadence.

Also, if you run every day, then it is likely that you are not giving your body time to recover and are just tearing your body up. Try doing something other than running on the day between 2 runs.
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

Typical recreational runners have a cadence of maybe 160-180. An elite runner may go up to 200. The 240 number sounds like an error. Although it's fun to talk about cadence, there is no need to force yourself into a specific number. Your native genetic stride and your running speed will determine an appropriate cadence naturally.
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

To clarify about shoes, I do NOT wear the low heel rise/barefoot type shoes when I run. I actually tried a pair on Newton's once years ago and hurt myself on the first run. I wear "regular" Brooks running shoes but do practice a midfoot strike.

I believe all elite distance runners use something close to a midfoot strike. Pounding thousands of miles with a long stride, heel strike method is not sustainable over years and decades (although it is faster and what sprinters do). Try running fast without shoes on (like our human ancestors did) and you'll find it's too uncomfortable to land heel first. Modern running shoes give us enough heel cushioning to use the heel strike, but it doesn't come naturally.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Tattarrattat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:58 pm Typical recreational runners have a cadence of maybe 160-180. An elite runner may go up to 200. The 240 number sounds like an error. Although it's fun to talk about cadence, there is no need to force yourself into a specific number. Your native genetic stride and your running speed will determine an appropriate cadence naturally.
While that is all true, many people do plod along at under 160 because they haven't thought about it nor done any stride training, so they don't find "an appropriate cadence naturally." One can have a natural cadence of say 176 (or 168 or 182 or ...) steps per minute and run easy with a shorter stride or run faster with a longer stride. That is, one can have the same cadence during a race as they do during a slow recovery run just by changing stride length.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

runner540 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:47 am
+1 on that.
Everybody's feet are different, feet change and so do shoe models. I've been a runner off and on my whole life. Over that time the best shoe for me has been Brooks, Saucony New Balance, Asics, and I''m back to Saucony after a feet evaluation and recommendation at Fleet Feet. My experience there was superior, and they have a 60 day return policy, no questions asked.
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

sabhen wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:37 pm NO I am not an Olympian. Far from it. I run every day on hard surfaces in my neighborhood. I like the feeling after my run and the jump in the pool after a good sweat. I will re-check my cadence tomorrow. What was the point of your question? Thanks a lot for all your input!
If you had/have injuries to your knees, my advice would be to try trail running if you can. Run on the ground rather than pavement. Burns more calories! Works the legs and core better! Trains balance better! Get away from the cars and exhaust and noise, be in nature, better for mental health! I switched to trail running, and will never go back to road running! If you're one of the lucky ones, you live in a state with awesome trails like the pacific northwest. I'm not one of those, so I run at a local park where I've mapped out about a 3.5 mile trail run. For trail running, I've had good luck with Salomon, Hoka One One and the newer Altra models (such as the Olympus). For a beginner trail runner I'd look at the latest Salomon Sense Ride shoe. Good luck!
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

In the past, once in a while, I'd get a strain in my calf muscle while running. Wearing a compression sleeve on my calf helped with that. They make similar ones for the knees. I feel like trail running has made my legs more muscular than road running, I don't get strains any more.....
d18lover

Post by d18lover »

I like New Balance 990 series. They are made in the USA and come in wide/narrow sizes. Expensive, but do last a long time.

I don't run in my oldest pair, 12 years old I wore daily for years. I'm only active in pairs that are about a year or two old.
wander

Post by wander »

ASICS
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

For road running, I think the current line of Saucony shoes is pretty good. You might look at their Triumph model, or one of the shoes in the Endorphin series. Going to a good running shoe store and getting them to analyze your gait may help with picking a shoe (neutral, stability, max pronation control, etc.). I tend to run in "neutral" shoes (as opposed to a "stability" shoe).
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

Born to Run and other books and articles about Kenyan and Mexican indigenous runners made the argument that a barefoot runner can't functionally land on their heel without tissue trauma, therefore it's an inherently and universally wrong way to run. Those books led to a trendy rush of coaching, articles and products focused on midfoot running, which a few years later was followed by a backlash after lots of injuries in runners for whom that style was inappropriate. Injuries like plantar fasciitis and achilles tendinitis, which are exacerbated by the midfoot style. The primitive runners depicted in those books and articles largely grow up walking and running barefoot, or in minimalist sandals, and as a rule trend toward a slender body habitus. It is not reasonable to assume that what works for them will automatically work for a first-world semi-sedentary recreational athlete who has worn sturdy shoes and sneakers since one year of age. Also, there are many excellent and fast runners, including elites, that are heel strikers, and it works for them, with absolutely no empirical research evidence that they get hurt at a greater rate than midfoot strikers. It is certainly ok to carefully experiment with modifications in running technique, but forcing a gait style that is not natural or comfortable on the basis of a theoretical argument tends to not be productive and can lead to injury. Best to proceed slowly, build mileage gradually and run in a way that feels comfortable through experience, whatever that style turns out to be.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Tattarrattat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:05 pm Best to proceed slowly, build mileage gradually and run in a way that feels comfortable through experience, whatever that style turns out to be.
Great advice!

Somehow I think changing shoes alone is not going to solve the OP's knee aches.

It would be pretty funny (sad) if the OP was already wearing running shoes that they got from a running store, but the OP didn't tell us where they got their current nor past running shoes. :twisted:
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Your best bet is to schedule a trip to a real running shoe store and call ahead to ensure a knowledgeable experienced employee will be there when you visit for a fitting. You need to speak to their head shoe nerd. If they can't explain basic stuff like how to decide between a curved last shoe versus a straight last shoe, or discuss supination versus pronation in your foot strike and what shoes might be best for each situation, you are talking to the wrong person.

To prevent injuries the right shoes help a lot. Avoiding super hard surfaces also helps. And understanding that shoes lose most of cushioning ability way before they physically look worn out. Change out shoes regardless of how the look, at least 4 times a year, if you need the extra cushioning.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

I use Asiacs, but don’t go by the shoe manufacturer. Instead go to a running shoe store and have the staff measure your foot for proper length and width. Then try on a sneaker and let them watch you run, they will give you guidance if you need a neutral shoe, or if your foot over pronates or under pronates. That is what I did when I started running.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
thewizzer

Post by thewizzer »

The best shoes for running are the shoes that properly fit your feet. There is a store in my area where’s the employees are trained and they do things like look at your gait and stride before putting you in a shoe. They’re not cheap, but I learned the same lesson after getting back into running after several years of inactivity. An extra $50 for a pair of good quality shoes isn’t much compared to doctor and chiropractor visits. Brooks and Saucony are two good brands.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Here is an article about a study that studied the overpronate/underpronate story:
https://www.runnersworld.com/gear/a2082 ... on-matter/
n the relatively recent past, things were simple: your foot type was classified as overpronator, underpronator, or neutral, and you were supposed to get a running shoe designed for that foot type. If you got injured, it was probably because you had the wrong shoe for your foot type. At least, that was the theory
Here's how the authors sum up their main findings in a study of all participants wearing the same brand and model of neutral shoes:
No significant differences in distance to first running-related injury were found between highly supinated, supinated, pronated and highly pronated feet when compared with neutral feet. In contrast, pronated feet sustained significantly fewer injuries per 1000 km of running than neutral feet.
I think running stores perpetuate the idea hyped in this thread in order to get more business and keep more business. Store employees have probably also bought into the belief system perpetuated by the people who trained them.

But read the linked article all the way to the end if you can. Or if you cannot, just read the last paragraph which I will not quote here.
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Tattarrattat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:05 pm It is certainly ok to carefully experiment with modifications in running technique, but forcing a gait style that is not natural or comfortable on the basis of a theoretical argument tends to not be productive and can lead to injury. Best to proceed slowly, build mileage gradually and run in a way that feels comfortable through experience, whatever that style turns out to be.
I second this. This is why I wear "neutral" shoes, and run at a "comfortable" pace.

For some running inspiration, check out the book "The Essential Sheehan: A Lifetime of Running Wisdom from the Legendary Dr. George Sheehan", a good read!
Topic Author
sabhen

Post by sabhen »

Thanks all for your input. It was very informative. There is a majority of views about the importance of selecting the right shoes to avoid injuries. But there is also a minority view that shoes on their own may may not be the decisive factor. Running technique and running frequency may play a large part.

A great podcast on this topic:

Irene Davis is the founding Director of the Spaulding National Running Center at the Harvard Medical School. In this episode, Irene describes how her research of biomechanics and clinical work with running injuries, as well as research by others, has shaped her views on maintaining body alignment and foot health. Irene discusses her argument for the role of modern footwear in running-related injuries and how minimalist footwear helps resolve the subsequent biomechanical issues.

https://peterattiamd.com/irenedavis/