What can I expect from new golf clubs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dodgy55

What can I expect from new golf clubs

Post by dodgy55 »

Several years ago when I retired I took up the game of golf. My brother-in-law had some clubs he never used and gave them to me. After playing for the past several years I find my game has not improved to the level I feel I should be at. I am 72 years old and in good health. My golf handicap is around 26, but I feel I should be around 18 to 20. Hitting for distance is not an issue, my biggest concern is accuracy and consistency. Some folks have suggested a new set of clubs might make a big difference. My current clubs I am guessing are around 20 years old or more. I try to play once or twice a week. Not sure if my problems are due to lack of sufficient playing time; my lack of ability; or the age of my clubs. Before I shell out a +$1,000 or so for new clubs, I am curious whether other golfers have found a significant difference (either good or bad) with new golf clubs.
Fond memories are the best investment
atikovi

Re: What can I expect from new golf clubs

Post by atikovi »

dodgy55 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:17 am Before I shell out a +$1,000 or so for new clubs, I am curious whether other golfers have found a significant difference (either good or bad) with new golf clubs.
Maybe shell out just a few $100 for lessons?
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Oh, and I'm not a golfer but wouldn't most golfers take insult to it being called a game? Isn't it a sport?
Topic Author
dodgy55

Post by dodgy55 »

Unless I can take the pro around the golf course with me I am not convinced lessons are the best choice for me at this time. Hitting shots from a practice tee can only reveal so much. My problems start after I hit the ball off the T box.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

If the clubs you currently have fit you pretty good (lie angle, lenght, and shaft flex) then you won’t see much difference.

However, if they are way off you will get both better distance and accuracy.

You will see a much bigger drop in your score by working on your short game.

Dave Pelzs Putting Bible is a good read. It’s very extensive.

Getting lessons, and actually putting them to use, will probably get you more bang for your buck.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

dodgy55 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:23 am Unless I can take the pro around the golf course with me I am not convinced lessons are the best choice for me at this time. Hitting shots from a practice tee can only reveal so much. My problems start after I hit the ball off the T box.
This isn’t true. With video and computers these days they can show you a lot.

You can always ask for a playing lesson also.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
bumblebh

Post by bumblebh »

Sure go ahead and buy new clubs and your game might improve for a short time, but I think that is often because you focus more on the use of the new clubs. I agree with what others have said and getting some lessons first. The pro can even advise if the clubs you use seem to fit you okay. Also agree with others mention of the short game, its the best way to improve your score, least fun way for me but the best way.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I'm a terrible golfer and not a good athlete so don't rely on this too much.

My experiences:

1. Equipment - It helps to have equipment that fits your swing speed and size (for most it doesn't matter but if you are tall or short it can).

2. Lessons - I could go on for a while here but many of the instructors are excellent golfers and know what a good swing is but teaching is a big problem. Most of us don't have interest or time to spend countless hours a day to change a swing. I get the feeling some of the instructors would totally redo Jim Furyk's swing because it isn't "normal". I did once pay a lot for one lesson with this guy who actually had me hitting draws by the end of the lesson but I couldn't afford doing that regularly so it didn't last. The rest of the time was way too many things to think about during your swing and didn't help much at all.

There should be places that will evaluate your clubs/swing and give you information w/o pressure to buy new equipment. In my experiences I've rarely seen big scoring changes when people changed equipment. Different balls can have different spin rates to help a bit but if you got a bad slice, extreme draw, or just bad aiming it isn't going to help much.
golfer292

Post by golfer292 »

bumblebh wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:39 am Sure go ahead and buy new clubs and your game might improve for a short time, but I think that is often because you focus more on the use of the new clubs. I agree with what others have said and getting some lessons first. The pro can even advise if the clubs you use seem to fit you okay. Also agree with others mention of the short game, its the best way to improve your score, least fun way for me but the best way.
100% agree. After 19 years personal experience. Focus and commitment to every shot is the main thing to improvement. I started with a used set of clubs, after playing 2 - 3 times weekly for three tears, I bought new clubs. No change in my handicap. Lately, better focus and being more relaxed, my handicap has lowered a little.
I once read the average score is 95 and after 3 years of regular play ones handicap will not decrease very much, I agree. Just have fun and be thankful your body allows you to play. Walk the course as long as you can
Last edited by golfer292 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

theta

Post by theta »

Slow down your takeaway and shorten your backswing.

Problem solved!
EdNorton

Post by EdNorton »

Go to Saguto Golf and look at some of his videos. I'm playing the best I've ever played at age 64. Unless you got a decent swing, clubs won't make much difference. :sharebeer
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho
EdNorton

Post by EdNorton »

Swing easy, learn to live with the extra yardage. :sharebeer
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Paging Sandtrap.
Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga »

If you are not near average height, non-standard length irons may help. I am 6’-2” and had a pro tell me that I was contorting my swing to work with standard clubs. Longer shafts and upright lie angle helped. Ping is really good for getting a close fit. Google for their fitting chart to see where you ought to be.

New clubs need not be $1000. So many golfers chase the latest tech that there are plenty of clubs a couple years old on the market at good prices. Check second swing, 3balls, eBay. You can save a search on eBay and get an email when just what you want comes up. If your clubs are over 20 years old, an upgrade could help. Much newer than that and I think the gains are small. If your grips are old and slick, regripping can help, in order to encourage the proper light grip pressure. Big or arthritic hands may benefit from oversized grips.

Pelz putting bible was mentioned upthread. More impactful for me was his short game bible. His system and practice helped a lot with those shots from just off the green to just under full wedge distance where a lot of strokes are lost.
cableguy

Post by cableguy »

It’s not the arrows....its the Indian. New clubs are nice. If you clubs are 10+ years old, go for it. YouTube is a great way to learn how to play golf. You tube and the driving range. I’ve gotten better using youtube and going to the range.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I haven't played golf for many years, but what I'd be interested in knowing is specifically what technology has changed since my golf clubs were made in the 1970s. Specifically, technology that would benefit relatively poor golfers. For example I could envision there being technology that would greatly benefit expert golfers, but would actually result in worse performance for poor golfers.
kelvan80

Post by kelvan80 »

Are you sure the length of the clubs is right for you? Are you the exact same height as your friend?
Topic Author
dodgy55

Post by dodgy55 »

Went to the David Pelz videos as suggested by a couple of BH's above. I can see where they can be of help. Thanks for the suggestion.
Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:13 pm I haven't played golf for many years, but what I'd be interested in knowing is specifically what technology has changed since my golf clubs were made in the 1970s. Specifically, technology that would benefit relatively poor golfers. For example I could envision there being technology that would greatly benefit expert golfers, but would actually result in worse performance for poor golfers.
Graphite shafts. Lighter weight for higher swing speed and more distance.

Iron heads have had weight moved from the center toward the perimeter, especially toward the sole. This results in a larger sweet spot and enhanced capability to get the shot airborne. This does limit the ability to fade or draw on demand, so the pros use irons that look like 70’s vintage. Lofts have generally gotten stronger in a war of competing distance claims.

Drivers have much larger heads and longer shafts. Big heads for more forgiveness off the sweet spot. Longer shafts for more distance, though maybe with some loss of accuracy. Some have adjustable loft. Some have provision for moving weight within the head to influence shot shape. Lately manufacturers have been designing in springlike effect in the club face in order to get more distance. This went far enough that the regulating bodies had to set limits.

Fairway woods became metal and are usually lower profile heads which helps to get the ball up. Metal driver and fairway wood heads move weight to the perimeter, which is more forgiving.

A whole new category has been invented, hybrids. These are a cross between fairway woods and irons. Most amateurs do better with hybrids than with #3 or 4 irons. Some have gone as far as to replace all irons with hybrids, sometimes wedges too.

Putters. There is now more variety in configuration. Large heads and very fat grips are common.
Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd »

The past 4,5 years has seen tremendous improvement in irons and shafts technology. You likely need both new clubs and lessons. I would guess the shafts are more a problem than club heads.

Here’s how to tell which to do first, answer this question; do you make good contact? If you are hitting the ball first and the divot (are you at least brushing the grass?) is at or in front of where the ball was, then get clubs first.

If you are not making solid contact fairly consistently then new clubs will do little to nothing to immediately improve your game. Another way to tell is spraying foot powder on your club face and seeing where you are striking the ball. At the Driving range, please. It’ll be obvious where you stand.

Used clubs can be fine but make certain you buy them from a reputable dealer. Callaway online is a good source. As someone said earlier if you are average height you won’t go too wrong but if not you will need to be fitted. PGA superstore is a good place for a fitting. Another very good source for quality at a better price is Tour Edge. https://www.touredge.com/

Lastly, good lessons are mor impactful than you now believe. I started the summer at a 25.6 index and after 4 lessons at GolfTec am now at 15.7. I took lessons from a local pro and just wasn’t seeing improvement so I tried something different this year. I am just a couple years younger than you and retired 3 years.

Best of luck!
JohnDindex

Post by JohnDindex »

New clubs make a huge difference. I would go somewhere where you can hit the clubs before you buy them.

Lessons are very helpful, some instructors are not good, if you don’t get results change instructors.
J295

Post by J295 »

61 y/o 6 handicap. When we put together foursomes in our senior group I am a B or C level player, as there are some pretty salty players in our crew playing a Pete Dye course regulaly (two former state senior champs). So while I don’t play scratch, I see a fair amount of it close up, and get it around fine.

I suggest both lessons and newer clubs (preowned from global golf or similar are fine).

For sure not all instructors are created equal. I work with someone who works with what I have. And, when you find someone you trust make it a process, not a one off Band-Aid approach. That way he/she can start to build something with you. Otherwise you’ll continually searching for the magical tip (we called them the “wood” tip… because you incorporate the tip and it works only one day… Then back to the same old same old.

While clubs are not a difference maker, at age 72 and having an interest in the game you want something that ”fits” and it’s highly unlikely 20-year-old clubs are a good “fit.”
tm3

Post by tm3 »

IMO those 20 year old clubs might have too stiff a shaft for you, ie they may be men's stiff flex when you optimally should be playing a men's senior flex. Most of the male players I know play stiff shafts because of their ego and it costs them distance and feel. Other than the shafts, your swing at HCP 26 is not consistent enough to be able to reliably quantify a difference between Callaway or Cobra or whatever. So check your shafts and if they are S or R then see if you can audition senior flex somewhere and see if you can tell any difference. Otherwise stick with what you have. If you do buy a different set go the used route. I recently bought a fairway wood from the Callaway pre-owned site for $75 (retail $300) and other than a tiny scratch it looks brand new (and plays great). Some players get 1-2 new sets a year and there are deals to be had on those.

You are going to make the most difference in your scoring from honing your short game. Pelz has been mentioned but I think that Stan Utley's Art of the Short Game is better. The Rebellion Golf website has a great free video called Use the Bounce.

Good luck if you go the lessons route. Peter Croker, who achieved some measure of success as an instructor, once stated that if a student goes to 12 different instructors they are going to get 12 different opinions on what is wrong with their swing.
Last edited by tm3 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

EdNorton wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:17 am Go to Saguto Golf and look at some of his videos. I'm playing the best I've ever played at age 64. Unless you got a decent swing, clubs won't make much difference. :sharebeer
Interesting comment as I stumbled across Saguto on YouTube and find him very entertaining but I'm not sure about his Stack and Tilt swing. Were you using S&T anyway or did you transition per Saguto?
Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

dodgy55 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:17 am My current clubs I am guessing are around 20 years old or more. I try to play once or twice a week. Not sure if my problems are due to lack of sufficient playing time; my lack of ability; or the age of my clubs. Before I shell out a +$1,000 or so for new clubs, I am curious whether other golfers have found a significant difference (either good or bad) with new golf clubs.
I'm a self-confessed golf addict, playing 5 days a week.

Two comments, newer club technology has made a significant difference to how mishit shots travel, i.e. they tend to got further and straighter. Perhaps during your non-competition rounds see if your playing partners will allow you to hit their clubs (a bit harder in COVID-19 times) so you can gain an understanding of what newer clubs might do for your game.

My number one recommendation is find a pro or fitter that you can trust and have them properly fit you for new clubs. It doesn't necessarily have to be a full set replacement, maybe consider replacing your woods or irons first, thus spreading the cost over a long period. Good, well fit clubs can last a player for many years, resist the urge to "upgrade" to the latest and greatest.

Lastly, the pro that I first worked with to fit me made the best suggestion I've ever heard, all the club manufacturers generally make good clubs, start with the ones that look good and feel good in your hands. If you don't like the look and the feel, it doesn't matter how good and well fit the club is, you'll probably never hit it well.

Added: Properly fit golf clubs are similar to properly fit eye glasses and the process is somewhat similar. Small changes such as grip size or shaft flex and/or length can make a significant difference. Do-it-yourself doesn't necessarily work best in this situation.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

I would start with lessons. You are a 26 handicap who doesn't have a distance problem so I think there should be a lot of room for improvement. A decent player can take clubs that don't fit exactly right and make them work decently well. If you don't want to be stuck with a handicap in the 20's forever, definitely go with some lessons first.

While you're at the lesson, tell the pro about your concerns regarding the equipment, and they'll give you some input. If you eventually go the club route, get fitted by a good fitter so you can figure out your specs for lie, length, flex, etc. You can then use those specs to buy new clubs or can find used clubs online (globalgolf, 2ndswing, ebay). Used clubs would save you a lot of money and you could then bring them to a clubfitter if you need length or lie adjusted further.
wallygator

Post by wallygator »

Hi,

Yes get a set that is 2-3 years old with graphite shafts. Technology has changed. I like adams as they are very forgiving if you don't hit in the sweet spot. You say you don't care about more distance but you'll probably gain 10-20 yards out of each club. Maybe 30 if your driver is 20 years old.

Good luck
jibantik

Post by jibantik »

One day I was out of town and went to a driving range for fun. I became determined to hit it past the fence (forget yardage, but friend of mine could do it and I was getting close, maybe 20 yds shy). I didn't have my clubs, so I was borrowing a driver from the range, you know those 40 year old scuffed clubs that they wouldn't even care if you walked away with at the end of the day. The people next to me noticed and noticed what I was trying to do and kindly offered to let me try their driver.

So, I take this driver from them, a beautiful, modern, nike driver, not even sure I want to risk using it because it looks so expensive. I ended up taking maybe 20 shots with it, every shot went EXACTLY like the 40yr old scuffed driver that I was borrowing from the range. As far as I could tell, there was not any noticeable difference whatsoever.

Moral of the story, the equipment likely has an extremely negligible impact compared your actual golfing ability. Of course, the equipment is certainly an easier variable to manipulate.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:13 pm I haven't played golf for many years, but what I'd be interested in knowing is specifically what technology has changed since my golf clubs were made in the 1970s. Specifically, technology that would benefit relatively poor golfers. For example I could envision there being technology that would greatly benefit expert golfers, but would actually result in worse performance for poor golfers.
Everything is better. The ball goes further and higher. Off-center hits are "less bad." Everyone from a pro to a 30 handicap would benefit going from 70s era clubs to modern clubs.

Basically shaft and head technology is much better. I think club fitters are better at finding a shaft that matches your swing speed also (launch monitors).

Seriously.
singledigit12b

Post by singledigit12b »

Usually it’s the Indian not the arrow. If you’ve never had lessons it would probably help especially with setup and swing path. You don’t need to spend $1000 for a new set of clubs. Go to a golf retailer find some you like and buy them online. I got my new set for $350 on eBay. 2 year old model never hit.
TSR

Post by TSR »

This is a somewhat ridiculous comment, but the place where the technology has most improved is in golf BAGS, which are now exceptionally light and tend to be very well made at fairly low price points (and easy to find used). If you haven't upgraded your bag in a long time, that will at least make a big change in how you experience the game. As for clubs, I'd say probably go for it. Do it right and do it once though: well fitted, right length, etc. That will at least tell you whether most of the problem is you or the clubs.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:12 am Image
Is anyone a marine biologist?!
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

dodgy55 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:17 am Several years ago when I retired I took up the game of golf. My brother-in-law had some clubs he never used and gave them to me. After playing for the past several years I find my game has not improved to the level I feel I should be at. I am 72 years old and in good health. My golf handicap is around 26, but I feel I should be around 18 to 20. Hitting for distance is not an issue, my biggest concern is accuracy and consistency. Some folks have suggested a new set of clubs might make a big difference. My current clubs I am guessing are around 20 years old or more. I try to play once or twice a week. Not sure if my problems are due to lack of sufficient playing time; my lack of ability; or the age of my clubs. Before I shell out a +$1,000 or so for new clubs, I am curious whether other golfers have found a significant difference (either good or bad) with new golf clubs.
The people who say that upgrading from a 20 y/o set of clubs won't help are almost certainly wrong.

I upgraded a 10 year old set of irons recently and picked up 2 to 4 strokes a round. And 10 to 15 yards a club. The key being the senior flex shafts. I also added a wood that was much easier to hit off the deck. And I went to hybrids several years ago instead of 3 and 4 irons.

Newer clubs would be more forgiving as well as longer.

That doesn't mean lessons might not help :-). I'd do both. Take some lessons, including a playing lesson. I mean, if golf is a key hobby for you, and you can afford it, why not get some help?

All that said, golf is hard ..... even with better clubs, the disaster holes where you pile up penalty strokes still kill the score.
CheCha54

Post by CheCha54 »

If your clubs are 20+ years old and you have not changed the grips , that would be a good upgrade. What you have might be good if your shafts match your swing speed. You can tell if you have trouble getting the ball air born. Work on that short game.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Senior Flex shafts.

Slower club head speed, so the shaft has to be different.

Club heads are more forgiving. Your new set might not have a 3 or 4. More hybrid clubs.

If you enjoy the game and plan to continue, spend some money and buy a set designed for a 72 year old swing.

Edit: I see TN_Boy gave almost the same advice. Sorry for the repeat. I did not read all the posts. :oops:
Last edited by bloom2708 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

TN_Boy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:53 am I upgraded a 10 year old set of irons recently and picked up 2 to 4 strokes a round. And 10 to 15 yards a club. The key being the senior flex shafts.
Did you compare the lofts between the sets? Many new 8 irons have the lofts of older 7 irons. A pretty decent write-up on the subject is Do equipment companies decrease iron lofts simply for more distance?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
S4C5

Post by S4C5 »

I have played golf off and on my whole life and have been using the same clubs for 20+ years.

I just went to a custom clubfitter and ended up with a set up custom Callaway Mavrik clubs. The total cost was around $2300.

The difference is phenomenal. I am hitting each club at least 20 yards longer and carrying my drives 300.

I'd highly recommend finding the best clubfitter in your area (ideally who fits all major brands) and having them select the best gear for you.

Expect to spend $2000-$2500 on a good full set. Don't cheap out on old or off-brand stuff. $1000 is not reasonable if you want new gear. When a round of golf costs $100, it doesn't make sense to try and save a few bucks on gear if you play a lot.
S4C5

Post by S4C5 »

TN_Boy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:53 am
The people who say that upgrading from a 20 y/o set of clubs won't help are almost certainly wrong.

All that said, golf is hard ..... even with better clubs, the disaster holes where you pile up penalty strokes still kill the score.
It's hard to believe anyone is seriously arguing that upgrading 20+ year old clubs is not worth it. 5 year old clubs? Maybe. Clubs from the 2000 era are inferior in every way. Did people play golf well back then? Yes. But it was a lot harder.

Even the pros say that they only have 4 or 5 "good" shots during an entire round. The difference between being a good golfer and a bad golfer is that your bad shots are still salvageable. Newer gear is so much more forgiving so you aren't slicing it over the interstate and dropping it in the lake because you didn't hit the sweet spot exactly right, rotate the club at precisely the right moment, or dipped your knees a millimeter too far.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Depends what sort of clubs you're currently using. If you're going from old school clubs to the latest and greatest, your game will improve slightly. New clubs are more forgiving, larger sweet spot.

My clubs are around 8 years old. My buddy has same clubs as me. He's a scratch golfer, im around a 12. FIL buys new clubs every single year. Doesnt do a single thing for his game.

The bottom line is...if you suck, new clubs will not make a difference. You need to hit the range and watch videos online. Work on consistent contact and hitting the ball on line. Fix your slice/hook. Skip the lessons. For most people, its a waste. A week after your lesson you'll be back to bad habits. Its what you're comfortable with.

Just remember, years ago it took Tiger 2-3 years to change his swing...and he hits thousands of balls a week. You really think joe nobody's like me and you can overhaul our swing? I think not.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

wallygator wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:26 am Hi,

Yes get a set that is 2-3 years old with graphite shafts. Technology has changed. I like adams as they are very forgiving if you don't hit in the sweet spot. You say you don't care about more distance but you'll probably gain 10-20 yards out of each club. Maybe 30 if your driver is 20 years old.

Good luck
A number of years ago I was a 9-handicap with a set of custom-fitted clubs. I consistently was able to draw the ball. Then I had to deal with some injuries which took a few years of rehab, then my clubs were stolen; and I stopped playing for a few additional years. I was about ready to give up golf when a SVP at my company asked me to play a round at a local exclusive course. So I rushed out and bought Adams off the shelf without fitting. I cannot shape the ball with these clubs. To make these clubs more forgiving, it seems to me they added weight. I'm still struggling to figure out how to hit with these clubs.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

dodgy55 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:17 am Several years ago when I retired I took up the game of golf. My brother-in-law had some clubs he never used and gave them to me. After playing for the past several years I find my game has not improved to the level I feel I should be at. I am 72 years old and in good health. My golf handicap is around 26, but I feel I should be around 18 to 20. Hitting for distance is not an issue, my biggest concern is accuracy and consistency. Some folks have suggested a new set of clubs might make a big difference. My current clubs I am guessing are around 20 years old or more. I try to play once or twice a week. Not sure if my problems are due to lack of sufficient playing time; my lack of ability; or the age of my clubs. Before I shell out a +$1,000 or so for new clubs, I am curious whether other golfers have found a significant difference (either good or bad) with new golf clubs.
Age 72
Existing hdcp: 26 (ave gross 98 per round. . . roughly half bogies, half double bogies)
Goal: 18 (ave 90 per round. . . roughly all bogies)

Question: How to lower scores by 8 per round? (no double bogies)

Yes.
New clubs, if they are fitted to you, and assuming (big one) you have a consistent and good swing groove, timing, rhythm, ball contact, will keep you interested and focused on the game, will help your swing if the ones you use now are poorly fitted (also more comfortable and more consistent), etc.
(with consistent pga pro lessons and tune ups, this is a great recipe)

Yes.
A quality set of "game improvement style" clubs might give you more options on the golf course (not knowing the kind of clubs you have now). More hybrids, etc.

To lower your game from a double bogie golfer to a bogie golfer by 8 strokes can be done by the following recipes:

1. Short game.
Putting (eliminate 3 putts by practicing lag putting so that the second putt is less than 3 feet), learn green strategy.

Greenside chipping, 10-20 yard pitch shots. (AKA bump and runs). (bogie golfers and double bogie golfers do not consistently land on greens from 100-150 yards away) Why practice this? Because you increases the number of "up and downs" per round. How many times per round do you have 1 putt greens?

2. Tee shot. You mention you don't have a problem off the tee. That's great. Put the ball in play. Don't get in trouble. (penalties such as OB, etc, eat up strokes) How many penaltie shots do you have per round?

3. Learn to lay up with precision. (Notice how most of the divots on a pro round tournament are at the 100 yard mark.) For you, this might be your 60 yard lob wedge, your 80 yard sand wedge with a 3/4 easy "go to" swing. Focus on course strategy and lay up. Your goal is consistent bogies.

4. Course Strategy. The following: stop the bleeding on "blow up holes" by not going for the "save" shots, take a shorter hybrid shot vs a 4 iron punch, go to the range and on practice rounds and work on a tool bag of "go to swings and shots" (similar to Tiger Wood's stinger punch shots which he uses when his swing is off timed for the day). For a senior game: IE: 4 hybrid off the tee, again or another hybrid in the fairway, approach shot, chip, 2 putts. That's a bogey on a short par 5. See? So while the "guys" are pulling out drivers on every non par 3 hole, leave that thing in the bag. Learn precision shot placement golf, think your way thru every hole like it was a battle scene, figure out what the course designer was trying to fake everyone out with, and your scores will drop like a rock.

5. *Engage a consistent PGA Swing Coach. Take regular tune ups every month or so. Commit to it for life. The golf swing needs to be maintained or it goes south. (accuracy and consistency)

6. *Throw distance out the door. IE: Cut a shot by 20 yards and be able to place shots where you want every single time. Make a chart of your most consistent distances per club where you can drop shots around a range yardage sign in a tight 10 yard pattern. IE: At 100 yards with a wedge, turn the ground around the sign white with balls. This is consistency. This is accuracy.

7. Don't "work the ball". Groove your swing so you have consistent ball flight whether a fade, draw, or whatever. Then work with that on the golf course. Unless you are a single digit golfer with a single digit swing. "Working the ball" goes like this: put a 10 yard draw on a 5 iron for shots, then put a 10 yard fade on a 5 iron for 10 shots, put a 10 yard high draw for 10 shots, put a 10 yard low punch for 10 shots. If you can do that, that's working the ball.

But, in all of the above, have fun just being out on the grass no matter the game. Any day on the golf course grass is better than 6 feet below ground.
j :happy
(former 5 hdcp, now happy duffer) (clubs for many many decades, custom fitted Ping, Titleist).
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
tm3

Post by tm3 »

dodgy55 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:17 am Before I shell out a +$1,000 or so for new clubs, I am curious whether other golfers have found a significant difference (either good or bad) with new golf clubs.
Most replies seem to be encouraging you to shell out the cash, so in the spirit of Bogleheads I'm going to toss out a little contrary, and miserly, info.

One of the golf mags published some survey data once indicating that when players buy new clubs they tend to improve for about 45 days, and then revert. Maybe this means that if one keeps buying enough new sets every 44 days they will eventually get to scratch?

Grips that are in good shape are certainly important and appropriate shaft flex is important (and shaft length could be if you are 6'6") but the value of "custom fitted" clubs for a high handicapper is debatable. One of the golf mags also did an interesting study in which they took 4 golfers of different skill set and gender and sent them each to 4 different "custom club fitters" thus each of the golfers ended up with 4 sets of clubs. Each golfer ended up with no 2 sets being the same i.e. there was no consistency from custom club fitter to custom club fitter.

No doubt however that for skilled players there can be a difference. Nike once had a new prototype driver and they asked Tiger to audition it and provide feedback. They gave him 3 identical copies. After his range session, the execs asked his opinion. Tiger said that he preferred the heavy one. They laughed and told him that all 3 were exactly the same, but Tiger persisted that one was heavier. They re-weighed the clubs and the one Tiger picked was 3 grams heavier (about the weight of a dime).
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

atikovi wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:21 am Oh, and I'm not a golfer but wouldn't most golfers take insult to it being called a game? Isn't it a sport?
Cross Country is a sport, everything else is just a game.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:49 am
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:12 am Image
Is anyone a marine biologist?!
My DD is. The family joke is for someone to say, "Is anyone here a marine biologist?", every so often.

For the OP: Being the same height (or nearly the same height) as other golfers does not mean that their clubs will be a good fit for you. Proper club length is determined by how long your arms are in relation to your overall body height. You may be the same height as your BIL but have longer or shorter arms. This can affect your golf posture when striking the ball. I was more hunched over when using mid-irons from a standard-length set of clubs because my arms are relatively short for a 6' 1" person. I check about every 10 years to make sure my clubs are right for my swing speed and still the right length, as gravity takes its toll on height over time. :(

As others have recommended, it would be best to take a few lessons first. If you decide to get a new set of clubs, then get a fitting. What is most important is that you find a set of clubs that is best for your game. If you are a high-handicapper, look for clubs that are "forgiving". Have fun!

Sport versus game? If beer is involved, I call it a game.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

As a local course golfer who can shoot radically varying scores from the senior tees, I would suggest a couple of lessons. Golf had gotten tedious and unenjoyable due to consistently making good contact but always hitting left of target with driver, irons, even putter but no real hook or slice issue. Friends who are more serious golfers couldn't correct, and I was seriously thinking of quitting the game. Took a lesson and immediately corrected the issue. Admittedly, I need to practice to consistently maintain the improvement, but I know what the issue is and can correct it on the next shot or two myself. That's good enough for me as a high 80's golfer. As an aside, when renting clubs on two occasions while on vacation, they were better than mine, but spending $1,000 is too much for someone still hitting 2,3 and 4 irons rather than hybrids. It all depends on what your goals are for golf. If striving for your best possibility, get measured, buy good clubs and take a few lessons, then practice. If not, find your own sweet spot among those choices.

Tim
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

The recommendation to take a few lessons is a good one. That said, if your clubs are 20 years old I think you'll see improvement with a newer set. I upgraded my driver and 3 wood to Ping G SF this year. There is a noticeable improvement on my ball flight and distance. You don't have to buy brand new, there's good prices on clubs a few years old. I usually use Global Golf for used clubs, https://www.globalgolf.com/golf-clubs/used/.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Toons

Post by Toons »

I got my handicap down to around 14 when I was playing golf
I practiced more than I played rounds ,,,sometimes hundreds of balls a day.
Every couple of years I would buy a new set from Wal-Mart.
I would tee up with people using drivers that cost a few hundred dollars.
I would out drive them.
They immediately wanted to know what kind of Driver I was using.
If I broke club by price
Ten Dollar Driver
Practice
Practice
Practice
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
tphp99

Post by tphp99 »

You have a better chance of shooting your age than PGA tour players.

I would recommend that you keep track of your stats. Fairways hit, greens hit, up and down, bunker shots and most importantly puts. This will allow you to pin point your weakness and practice accordingly. Practice more than you play if you want to post good numbers.

Or just drink more beer and have fun.