Does paying for 1Password Family worth it for a family of 2?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Does paying for 1Password Family worth it for a family of 2?

Post by BogleMelon »

Family of 2 here. I am the more tech guy, and share most of my passwords with my DW.
After reading too much hate on Logmein (Lastpass company), I am now considering to migrate somewhere else. Not that I have any big problem with them (except for the regular glitches and where the app doesn't fill passwords as supposed to be!), but I don't want to have more problems in the future by committing to use a product from a not so reputable company. Here is what I am considering for the future:
Lastpass: Only because it is free for our small family (no need to pay for the premium membership). So maybe I should stay and ignore the FOMO?
Bitwarden: I really wanted to like it, but the way they do the (sharing) is so poor. Those who use it, know what I mean. Also don't like they don't have designated forms for storing things such as bank account info or SSN's. I can add notices, but not designated forms. But still free, and have a better reputation than Lastpass.
1Password: Liked it most. Some drawbacks but I don't mind it as I get to learn it. Only issue is the price: $60/year for the family plan. Again we are just family of 2, and Lastpass treated us good (so far!).

Should I start paying for a password manager and get the better UI and company reputation? Or it is really silly to pay for something while you can get it for free at least for now, till the company decides to give us 7 days notice to pay for a subscription or otherwise ditching our passwords for good? (hint: they did that before with their other remote control product)!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
pseudoiterative

Re: Does paying for 1Password Family worth it for a family of 2?

Post by pseudoiterative »

A different way of framing the decision is to consider how much negative impact it might cause your family if the service provider ceases wanting to provide you with service, or runs out of money and gets acquired by a new company you don't trust.

If you are outsourcing some security-critical service, such as storage of your passwords, it is probably a good idea to establish the relationship of being a paying customer! This helps align your interests with the interests of the service provider: you pay them money to provide you with a service you find useful, and they make enough revenue & profit to stay in business and keep maintaining the service you depend upon! Win-win!

https://blog.pinboard.in/2011/12/don_t_be_a_free_user/
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

viewtopic.php?t=314516

This has been discussed before in threads like this, but our family of 2 subscribes to the 1Password family plan. I wish it were more like $39.99 a year :happy but we have been really happy with it. It used to be frustrating keeping our individual and shared passwords in sync across our computers and mobile devices, but 1Password handles this very well (and of course securely). We renewed a couple of months ago.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

I recommend Keeper. They have a family plan for $75 per year for 5 users.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

pseudoiterative wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:02 pm
If you are outsourcing some security-critical service, such as storage of your passwords, it is probably a good idea to establish the relationship of being a paying customer! This helps align your interests with the interests of the service provider: you pay them money to provide you with a service you find useful, and they make enough revenue & profit to stay in business and keep maintaining the service you depend upon! Win-win!

https://blog.pinboard.in/2011/12/don_t_be_a_free_user/
Plenty of people use free software that isn’t maintained by a company. Welcome to the world of open source software.

Plenty of people have be burned by software companies changing their strategy for their non-open source products. Quicken, Crashplan, Google Reader, Google Play Music, ...

There are other threads here discussing the pros and cons of various password managers.

My wife and I do use a commercial product, 1Password, because at the time we switched to it from another commercial offering it was the best solution meeting our requirements. But we didn’t sign up for a subscription fee, we bought the software the traditional way. I think that is still an option (though not much advertised by Agile Bits).
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

BogleMelon wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:47 pm Family of 2 here. I am the more tech guy, and share most of my passwords with my DW.
After reading too much hate on Logmein (Lastpass company), I am now considering to migrate somewhere else. Not that I have any big problem with them (except for the regular glitches and where the app doesn't fill passwords as supposed to be!), but I don't want to have more problems in the future by committing to use a product from a not so reputable company. Here is what I am considering for the future:
Lastpass: Only because it is free for our small family (no need to pay for the premium membership). So maybe I should stay and ignore the FOMO?
Bitwarden: I really wanted to like it, but the way they do the (sharing) is so poor. Those who use it, know what I mean. Also don't like they don't have designated forms for storing things such as bank account info or SSN's. I can add notices, but not designated forms. But still free, and have a better reputation than Lastpass.
1Password: Liked it most. Some drawbacks but I don't mind it as I get to learn it. Only issue is the price: $60/year for the family plan. Again we are just family of 2, and Lastpass treated us good (so far!).

Should I start paying for a password manager and get the better UI and company reputation? Or it is really silly to pay for something while you can get it for free at least for now, till the company decides to give us 7 days notice to pay for a subscription or otherwise ditching our passwords for good? (hint: they did that before with their other remote control product)!
We use 1Password for family of four. Three of four are actively using it. Two of us converted over from LastPass, which is simple to do. Paid in advance it works out to $60 per year. As the senior member of the 'team' I no longer worry about the survivors getting to my accounts when they must.

This wasn't my decision as LastPass and then 1Password were selected by kid who is a security manager.

After using the product for about 6 months I have no complaints, and it works much better than LastPass. I use the browser extensions and have the app on my Pixel 3. I only share a few items. Of course you can go the free route, and many do.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

BogleMelon wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:47 pm Bitwarden: I really wanted to like it, but the way they do the (sharing) is so poor. Those who use it, know what I mean. Also don't like they don't have designated forms for storing things such as bank account info or SSN's. I can add notices, but not designated forms. But still free, and have a better reputation than Lastpass.
I'm a Bitwarden user (free version), but I haven't looked into the family/sharing aspects. I like it a lot, especially for the price, and I chose it over LastPass and 1Password because of its open source model and extremely reasonable pricing plans.

Not sure what you mean by "they don't have designated forms for .... bank account info or SSNs." If you upgrade to the paid version, which is a measly $10/year, you can store up to 1GB of encrypted files like text docs, spreadsheets, or any other kind of file you want that contains bank account info, SSNs, etc. This is also available in the shared/family plan for just $40/year. Not sure what else you'd need beyond that.
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

BogleMelon wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:47 pm Family of 2 here. I am the more tech guy, and share most of my passwords with my DW.

You can actually purchase the software (1Password) without having to buy a subscription. Can use Dropbox or even iCloud I believe to store the encrypted vault. You will have to buy it again for major version upgrades.

I believe the trick is to download it from the website, then choose local vault synced to Dropbox or iCloud, you will have option to purchase it as standalone program.

We use it that way.
MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 »

I’m not sure about the others, but I’ve used LastPass premium with a Yubikey for 2 years, and it has been great.
For the love of God, stick to your plan!!!
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

need403bhelp wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:27 pm
You can actually purchase the software (1Password) without having to buy a subscription. Can use Dropbox or even iCloud I believe to store the encrypted vault. You will have to buy it again for major version upgrades.

I believe the trick is to download it from the website, then choose local vault synced to Dropbox or iCloud, you will have option to purchase it as standalone program.

We use it that way.
As mentioned above, my wife and I use the standalone (purchased) apps on iOS, Android, Mac and Windows. In fact, when we started with 1Password, there was no subscription option.

With the subscription, sync is via their proprietary cloud service. We are using Dropbox instead.

iCloud is an option with the standalone offering if you only use Apple products. I personally would not want to lock myself into that (and in fact we use Android phones, for example).

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

Looking at the AgileBits/1Password website, they really don’t make it easy to find out how to purchase and use the standalone (non-subscription) option.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

I don’t see the point of the family plan. Wife and i have had 1password for 7 years. No need for a family plan. You just sign in with one account on all the devices. What exactly is it you need in the “family” plan vs a regular one?
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

ScubaHogg wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:34 pm I don’t see the point of the family plan. Wife and i have had 1password for 7 years. No need for a family plan. You just sign in with one account on all the devices. What exactly is it you need in the “family” plan vs a regular one?
I use 1Password to help keep track of passwords and other confidential information from work, as does DW. And so the separation is essential for us, even though 90% of the passwords are shared. DW and I each have our own master PWs. I could see moving away from this plan when we are both retired.

We don’t have kids, but I could see a need for some people to restrict some account access for the kids.
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

TravelGeek wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:09 pm
need403bhelp wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:27 pm

We use it that way.
As mentioned above, my wife and I use the standalone (purchased) apps on iOS, Android, Mac and Windows. In fact, when we started with 1Password, there was no subscription option.

With the subscription, sync is via their proprietary cloud service. We are using Dropbox instead.

iCloud is an option with the standalone offering if you only use Apple products. I personally would not want to lock myself into that (and in fact we use Android phones, for example).

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

Looking at the AgileBits/1Password website, they really don’t make it easy to find out how to purchase and use the standalone (non-subscription) option.
To purchase standalone version, I believe you just go to https://1password.com/downloads/ and download it.

Then, you don't log in, but rather choose Dropbox Sync or something similar.

I'm not sure whether you actually have to have an existing 1Password vault in Dropbox saved to go through that route. However, once you are in, I believe you will have an option to purchase either pop up or under the "1Password 7" menu (the latter on Mac, not sure which menu category it would be under Windows).

Hope that helps!
dgbg

Post by dgbg »

Ive been using 1Password for what must be close to 7 years now. Great company, great product. My family of two is currently using the family plan, and find the value to be there.

If you want to bring down the price slightly, you can preload your account with a discounted gift card - of course that assumes that you will want to continue with them for another year :)

https://1password.com/giftcards/
bhjjk19

Post by bhjjk19 »

I use the free password manager called Enpass and it works great. It's totally controlled within my own local environment.
It does not have all the bells and whistles that the big name service providers, but it's an exceptional password manager in my opinion.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

My wife and I have the 1Password family plan for just the two of us. We each have a personal vault for financial logins for extra protection in case a single device is ever compromised. Our shared accounts like Netflix are in a shared vault

We used the Dropbox sync before they had subscriptions, and that did work, but the family plan with the built-in cloud sync is simpler and so far has been completely reliable.
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

ScubaHogg wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:34 pm I don’t see the point of the family plan. Wife and i have had 1password for 7 years. No need for a family plan. You just sign in with one account on all the devices. What exactly is it you need in the “family” plan vs a regular one?
This is a very good point indeed. I will probably end up doing this. Not just for saving some money, but I find it more straight forward and more simple since we don't have any cyber secrets anyways. It is also way easier to manage and maintain one account (deleting obsolete sites that no longer in business, delete duplicate entries...etc). Thank you for suggesting that!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Whew-Only10MoreYears

Post by Whew-Only10MoreYears »

Just a FYI - Family of 2 here too. Was a happy Lastpass user until they noticed that a large number of people at the Megacorp where I work were using their product and decided to try and strongarm the company to pay for a corporate plan! Well you can imagine how that went over with our IT folks - can you say they blocked Lastpass globally and have no intention of un-blocking them - EVER! After a few weeks of typing 20 random character passwords I'd had enough. So I switched to 1Password and I have to say so far so good.
I don't know if this is a one-off from some idiot VP of sales at Lastpass or its a policy they intend to persue with other companies but something to consider.
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Whew-Only10MoreYears wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:08 am Just a FYI - Family of 2 here too. Was a happy Lastpass user until they noticed that a large number of people at the Megacorp where I work were using their product and decided to try and strongarm the company to pay for a corporate plan! Well you can imagine how that went over with our IT folks - can you say they blocked Lastpass globally and have no intention of un-blocking them - EVER! After a few weeks of typing 20 random character passwords I'd had enough. So I switched to 1Password and I have to say so far so good.
I don't know if this is a one-off from some idiot VP of sales at Lastpass or its a policy they intend to persue with other companies but something to consider.
Wow! Typical Logmein practice I guess! I hope you didn't get into troubles with the management of your company, I would personally be labeled as the "trouble maker tech guy" if that happened to me, specially I work in a private company where they use 20 years old software (you can imagine how the managers would hate any form of new technology!).
I secretly use my password manager at my company as well, absolutely something I wouldn't want to happen! Thanks for sharing that incidence
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

BogleMelon wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:24 am
Whew-Only10MoreYears wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:08 am Just a FYI - Family of 2 here too. Was a happy Lastpass user until they noticed that a large number of people at the Megacorp where I work were using their product and decided to try and strongarm the company to pay for a corporate plan! Well you can imagine how that went over with our IT folks - can you say they blocked Lastpass globally and have no intention of un-blocking them - EVER! After a few weeks of typing 20 random character passwords I'd had enough. So I switched to 1Password and I have to say so far so good.
Wow! Typical Logmein practice I guess! I hope you didn't get into troubles with the management of your company, I would personally be labeled as the "trouble maker tech guy" if that happened to me, specially I work in a private company where they use 20 years old software (you can imagine how the managers would hate any form of new technology!).
I secretly use my password manager at my company as well, absolutely something I wouldn't want to happen! Thanks for sharing that incidence

I was tired of 20+ long passwords at my former employer. But I couldn’t find relief since the laptop was locked down. No ability to install new software. USB drives locked/disabled from use. No CD drives.
Frugalegal

Post by Frugalegal »

I work in IT for the DOE and would recommend never using a service that stores your passwords. I recommend getting 2-3 Zip drives, making a word file, typing up your passwords and storing those in a safe. Companies get hacked left and right and you can’t ensure that your data is secure. The amount you spend a year, you could buy a couple Zip drives that’ll last.
bostondan

Post by bostondan »

Frugalegal wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:28 am I work in IT for the DOE and would recommend never using a service that stores your passwords. I recommend getting 2-3 Zip drives, making a word file, typing up your passwords and storing those in a safe. Companies get hacked left and right and you can’t ensure that your data is secure. The amount you spend a year, you could buy a couple Zip drives that’ll last.
This is not a terribly realistic approach to the issue of security. When I am on the road I cannot gain access to my 2-3 Zip drives (also, who uses Zip drives anymore?) to look up my passwords for sites that I do not use frequently enough to remember a complex password.

Most security professionals these days recommend using a password management product from a reliable company. Certainly 1Password is one of the more trusted companies, and they have a good whitepaper explaining the security design of their product that might put your mind at ease: https://1password.com/files/1Password-White-Paper.pdf

Assuming that 1Password follows the rules laid out in the white paper, your data is likely very secure and not accessible to employees of the company and nearly impossible for a hacker to access. The Zip drives are likely just as easily accessed as passwords in 1Password.

Unless you want to live life in fear, I would strongly recommend using a password manager instead (which is probably actually safe) of physical storage of your passwords, as it will make your digital life much simpler and also probably more secure than whatever you are doing now.
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Frugalegal wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:28 am I work in IT for the DOE and would recommend never using a service that stores your passwords. I recommend getting 2-3 Zip drives, making a word file, typing up your passwords and storing those in a safe. Companies get hacked left and right and you can’t ensure that your data is secure. The amount you spend a year, you could buy a couple Zip drives that’ll last.
And how am I supposed to remember all of the dozens of passwords that I have to use on a daily basis? Am I supposed to get the zip drive out of the safe every time I want to access a site or an online account? Seriously? If security becomes so cumbersome and inefficient then it's not worth using.
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

The way 1password does the secret key, I don't believe having MFA on your 1password account really buys you anything extra. With Lastpass (which did not have a secret key), I think the MFA was important.

If you plan on using MFA with any password manager, I recommend the family plan. Otherwise, it's a pain for the non primary user to get the MFA code when you aren't around.

If you are fine without MFA on 1password because you feel the secret key does the same thing security wise, then I think you could easily share the same account with your spouse. As long as you trusted her, and you wouldn't run into any issues completely sharing all passwords. Then you could go with the cheaper single user plan.
bostondan

Post by bostondan »

My wife and I use 1Password and share 100% of our passwords. I know not everybody wants to do that, but it has never even remotely been a problem for us. Neither of us is the type to care what the other one is doing online (or if she is logging into my accounts I don't know about it and honestly she will be very bored with the content she finds in my email). We each have our own vault that we manage, and we label our passwords things like "Fidelity - Dan" to make it easier to quickly identify which login to use.

It took me a while to convince my wife to switch to this system. One day while we were on vacation in Hawaii she got an alert that someone had logged into like 5 of her accounts from an IP address in Eastern Europe, so she panicked and finally agreed to use 1Password and create secure unique passwords. Since that time she has had no issues.

There is also a new offering from NordVPN called NordPass. I like NordVPN and I have heard good things about the new password manager product. If I were not already entrenched in 1Password then I might consider trying it: https://nordpass.com/
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

My wife and I have been using mSecure Pro for years. Very happy with the product. Currently on sale for $19.99 one time purchase.

https://www.msecure.com/pricing/

Cheers
SpaethCo

Post by SpaethCo »

The problem with typing in passwords manually or using copy/paste techniques is that this is the primary method that phishing campaigns are successful. You end up on a site that has a URL that's close enough that it doesn't trigger your suspicion, and you hand your credentials directly to the attacker by typing them into their site.

Password managers like 1Password have an auto-fill system that validates the URL before it fills in the credentials. If your password won't autofill, you know something isn't right.

It's also important to note that the passwords aren't stored in cleartext with 1Password, they're encrypted using AES encryption using a key that's calculated using a password-based key derivation function ( PBKDF2). One of the most interesting aspects of the Snowden leaked data from the NSA is that it validated that the math in encryption still proves out for now. There are no good ways to directly attack this process, you have to use side-channel attacks to achieve results.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

On a side note, you call yourself a family but technically speaking aren't you a couple? Doesn't a family imply offspring? Just an interesting observation, not being the grammar police.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Is there any reason to pay for any of these services? Aren't they sync to cloud?

If so, Kee Pass 2 is open source for Windows and OneDrive syncs files between Windows 10 and OneDrive. KeePassium iOS can pull from OneDrive.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

This is the definition of family from the Merriam Webster website:

What is a family?

In modern use family may refer to one of a number of different groups of people or things collectively, such as chemical compounds, related languages, plants and animals, and people who may or may not share ancestry. Family is often encountered in legal use, but even within the jargon of the law it is not restricted to a single meaning. In many legal contexts family denotes “individuals related by blood, marriage, or adoption,” but in others the definition may be somewhat broader, encompassing groups of individuals not related by these things.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... t%20family
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I’m not crazy about having my pain the cloud, so I use keepass and one of the many apps based on it. I keep the passwords on my computer and tablet and a backup on usb stick. And it’s free.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

I hope the DOE doesn’t allow employees to plug Zip drives into their work computers’ USB ports.

And for personal use, most people don’t just need access to passwords when they are at home. So then you end up with a USB stick attached to a key ring... like the one I recently found attached to a car keyfob and a bunch of “institutional” looking keys. When I couldn’t find the owner via Nextdoor, I examined the USB stick and it helped me identify the owner.

A word document isn’t a good way to store sensitive information.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

I work for a tech company with a world-class security department that has to fend off attacks from state intelligence agencies. I am not exxagerating when I say that your suggestion is a fireable offense here.
Sourc3

Post by Sourc3 »

We’ve been using 1Password and subsequently their family subscription from their early days.

It is a wonderful piece of software with seamless integration on iOS and Macs. Also, the company behind it is a small one, not a large Corp.

Please keep that in mind when you are “saving” money by sharing your password with your spouse just not to buy the yearly subscription. These folks have recurring fees to pay themselves. If you keep getting value from the software via updates (they don’t magically happen) please consider paying for the subscription.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Does anybody anticipate how the pricing of these security platforms will change over the years? I know nothing about what it costs these companies to run these services, but I wonder if it will keep getting a lot more expensive. Or maybe competition will drive rates down? I also wonder if they end up getting taken over by a larger tech company and incorporated into an existing operating system without a subscription.

Long time Lastpass premium user.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

SpaethCo wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:15 pm
The problem with typing in passwords manually or using copy/paste techniques is that this is the primary method that phishing campaigns are successful. You end up on a site that has a URL that's close enough that it doesn't trigger your suspicion, and you hand your credentials directly to the attacker by typing them into their site.

Password managers like 1Password have an auto-fill system that validates the URL before it fills in the credentials. If your password won't autofill, you know something isn't right.

It's also important to note that the passwords aren't stored in cleartext with 1Password, they're encrypted using AES encryption using a key that's calculated using a password-based key derivation function ( PBKDF2). One of the most interesting aspects of the Snowden leaked data from the NSA is that it validated that the math in encryption still proves out for now. There are no good ways to directly attack this process, you have to use side-channel attacks to achieve results.
This is seriously useful information I hadn’t considered. In other words, user error is more dangerous than a password manager getting hacked, so the system prevents that.
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Sourc3 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:16 am We’ve been using 1Password and subsequently their family subscription from their early days.

It is a wonderful piece of software with seamless integration on iOS and Macs. Also, the company behind it is a small one, not a large Corp.

Please keep that in mind when you are “saving” money by sharing your password with your spouse just not to buy the yearly subscription. These folks have recurring fees to pay themselves. If you keep getting value from the software via updates (they don’t magically happen) please consider paying for the subscription.
Personal subscription doesn't come free as well. I am not pirating their software!
Bosro

Post by Bosro »

Sourc3 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:16 am We’ve been using 1Password and subsequently their family subscription from their early days.

Think they found some extra money.
https://blog.1password.com/accel-partnership/
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

mptfan wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:08 am
And how am I supposed to remember all of the dozens of passwords that I have to use on a daily basis? Am I supposed to get the zip drive out of the safe every time I want to access a site or an online account? Seriously? If security becomes so cumbersome and inefficient then it's not worth using.
I think/hope Frugallegal was joking thought it wouldn’t surprise me if some municipal agency is still using Iomega ZIP drives running Win 95.
dts_12

Post by dts_12 »

My family uses 1Password family and I endorse it. I work in IT security and manage much of our online administrative work and my wife is terrible with tech. I feel good knowing she has a way to pick up things if anything ever happened to me. Sure there's always some risk that these password manager companies get compromised but I would argue the likelihood is less than if you use the same basic non-complex password at every site. Your average user is much better off having a unique to each site complex password that is managed thorough one of these services.

The other think I do is I don't put my financial accounts in 1Password just in case they were to get compromised they would only have access to my data and credit, but no access to my money. This way I only have to remember the safe pw, my bank pw, and my retirement pw. Three passwords seems manageable.
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

We use the BitWarden family plan. It's a good way to securely share estate planning information since the family plan owner can enforce 2FA rules.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

dts_12 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:37 am The other think I do is I don't put my financial accounts in 1Password just in case they were to get compromised they would only have access to my data and credit, but no access to my money. This way I only have to remember the safe pw, my bank pw, and my retirement pw. Three passwords seems manageable.
I used to do that myself, but I have come to realize that I was MORE vulnerable doing that, not less. That's because using a password manager protects me from being phished by a fake financial site and I am more likely to be phished than the likelihood of a hacker breaching my password manager and getting my financial passwords.
dts_12

Post by dts_12 »

mptfan wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:49 am
dts_12 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:37 am The other think I do is I don't put my financial accounts in 1Password just in case they were to get compromised they would only have access to my data and credit, but no access to my money. This way I only have to remember the safe pw, my bank pw, and my retirement pw. Three passwords seems manageable.
I used to do that myself, but I have come to realize that I was MORE vulnerable doing that, not less. That's because using a password manager protects me from being phished by a fake financial site and I am more likely to be phished than the likelihood of a hacker breaching my password manager and getting my financial passwords.
Good point and that's fair for most people. I literally look at phishing emails every day in my job so I'm a little less worried about getting phished as I've gotten pretty good at spotting them :D
SpaethCo

Post by SpaethCo »

dts_12 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:26 pm Good point and that's fair for most people. I literally look at phishing emails every day in my job so I'm a little less worried about getting phished as I've gotten pretty good at spotting them :D
We have this debate all the time at work about the false confidence that phishing training creates. Humans are pretty terrible at spotting well constructed phishing campaigns. Karla Burnett (Stripe security engineer) presented on this at Black Hat a couple years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z20XNp-luNA

The only systems we have a 0% internal success rate at phishing are those that use U2F or user certs.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

dts_12 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:26 pm Good point and that's fair for most people. I literally look at phishing emails every day in my job so I'm a little less worried about getting phished as I've gotten pretty good at spotting them :D
Also my password manager can generate and remember a longer and more complex password than I can. I only know the password for my email and my password manager.
dts_12

Post by dts_12 »

SpaethCo wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:08 pm
We have this debate all the time at work about the false confidence that phishing training creates. Humans are pretty terrible at spotting well constructed phishing campaigns. Karla Burnett (Stripe security engineer) presented on this at Black Hat a couple years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z20XNp-luNA

The only systems we have a 0% internal success rate at phishing are those that use U2F or user certs.
This is 100% true, but I'm the email security administrator at my company and analyze phishing emails so I have a pretty good eye.
dts_12

Post by dts_12 »

mptfan wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:14 pm
Also my password manager can generate and remember a longer and more complex password than I can. I only know the password for my email and my password manager.
Exactly, that's the benefit of a manager. A random long string that is not reused is so much better than an 8 character password. In my case I use 16 character passwords that I have memorized.